Chapter 1

They, Who Listens

Chapter 1 - A New Beginning

 

As the moonlight starts to fade, And the dawn it starts to break,” I sang, singing the last parts of a new song I have been composing for months, “You’ll be the moon, I loved in the night… So goodbye.” I strummed the strings of my guitar, letting the melody play through till the end. As I finished up the song, I scribbled down notes and changes made to the song in my notebook. As I was writing down final notes, my phone vibrated, flashing brightly the caller.

 

“Hello? Mom,” I answered.

 

“Where are you honey, It’s late and it’s about to rain. I told you to bring an umbrella didn’t I?” she scolded. I looked at my phone clock. 6.05.

 

“Sorry mom, I wasn’t really paying attention to the time and I was finishing my new song mom…” I quickly packed my things and got ready to leave the park near my house. “I’m not that far away, mom, I think I can make it home before it rains.” I started running, trying not to get rained on. I ran across by the crossroad near my block, “Don’t worry mom I’ll be-”

 

 

 

I don’t really know what happened next but, all I remember was different murmurs surrounding me, as I laid, drenched on the cold hard road.

 

“Oh my, is she okay??”

 

“Who hit her? There’s no one here”

 

“It was a hit and run…”

 

Well, I guess my life ends here… I mentally laughed, There’s nothing I can do now…

 

Many things were being said but then, I heard a familiar voice.

 

“SHINJAE! My Shinjae, please don’t leave me. Please don’t leave us!” the woman cried. Mom…

 

“You can’t leave us Shinjae, you have so many things ahead of you, you can’t…” she held my right hand tight as she sobbed. “Your father called the ambulance. Please be alright. Please, don’t leave us. I was right about to give you the letter… You were accepted in the agency sweetie, you made it.” she was smiling through her sobs. “You have to make it okay? Do it for mommy and daddy okay? Please, we can’t lose another one…”

 

The next thing I knew, everything went dark. I’m sorry mom, dad… I loved you. I can finally meet her now.

 

----------------

 

Bright lights blaring my eyes. I blinked a couple of times, trying to adjust my eyes. I looked around at the unfamiliar place. Where am I? I died… didn’t I? Where am I? I continuously looked around.

 

“Seunghye, you’re finally awake.” A woman picked me up from where I was laying. What’s going on… what? Seunghye? “My little angel just arrived here a couple hours ago…” she swept my hair to the side. “Good thing your father’s not home yet… he’ll be very, very devastated.” she sighed.

 

‘I’m not Seunghye’ I tried to say, ‘My name’s Shinjae.’ I tried yet again. Yet, the only thing that came about were cries.

 

“Oh my, my Seunghye crying… Oh no. It’s okay, Mommy’s got you” she swayed me side to side trying to ‘calm’ me.

 

I looked down to see me as a… baby? What is this? Is this what they call ‘incarnation?’ Well, I never believed in that….

 

“Seunghye, sweetie, calm down okay? Your father just got back…” she sounded terrified.

 

“Haseong! Is he born yet?” He yelled from outside the room. Footsteps were heard scurrying to get in the room quickly.

 

“He’s born right?” He was smiling. Then, he saw me. Wrapped in cloth in my ‘mother’s’ arms. Instantly, his smile faded away. “Another one? We don’t need another one.” He left the room, slamming the door. Well, he didn’t even approach me. .

 

Well, now I’ve met my so-called ‘mother’ and ‘father’... how pleasant. Then more people started coming in, ranging from teens to kids. There were 2 boys and 3 girls.

 

“It’s a baby sister~” the one that looked the youngest came running.

 

“I feel bad for her…” one of the other girls said as she sat down next to my mother on the bed, holding me.

 

“Daddy came out screaming…” the other one looked down.

 

“It’s a girl? That’s no fun… right Chanhyuk?” one of the boys said.

“Indeed. No wonder dad was pissed.” The other boy said as they left the room without saying another word. Well, are the whole family ? Nice. I have to live like this. Better of killed myself before that happened. I thought as I tried to act more ‘baby-like’

 

 

Well, time passed and I learned a lot about this new society I was put into. Turns out, this society’s misogynistic as hell. Meaning, feminism failed, therefore, leading to ‘total male domination’. Women had no say in anything, and I mean ANYTHING. Men dominated. Women are not allowed to talk back to men, men are allowed to do whatever they’d like and women are to comply. And because of this, , ion, the slave trade, all those were brought back and this time, they were all women involved since the ‘male population’ was more important. Not only that, but apparently ‘magic’ had been invented or discovered and humans started to manifest their abilities. Some had them, some didn’t. Some may ask, ‘why are the male population so dominant?’ well, this is why. Due to the ‘fact’ that males are much more capable of bearing these magical abilities, the male population became much more ‘special’ whereas the women became ‘regular’ and ‘overpopulated’ or something like that. That’s what my older sisters would say at least.

 

What they all didn’t know was that I had an ability to. Of course, I didn’t tell them, they’d kill me for sure, my father and brothers I mean. What’s my ability, you may ask? Well, it’s nothing special. It’s just that I can hear animals speak. Honestly, that’s the only thing I was living for. These animals were cute and funny. Sometimes, small birds and squirrels would come up to my room window and talk, they’re really the cutest. I sound crazy, don’t I? It is actually… kinda crazy. They’d tell me stories and even help me spy on my brothers and father. It’s not that I despised them but, I despised them, a LOT. Anyway, I can also control these animals sometimes. I’d command them to do something, and they do it instantly. It was kinda cool actually. There was that one time I was so pissed off at my brothers I commanded some birds to on them. I tried to hold in my laughter, I really did.

 

I got to learn more about this new family of mine. I have 4 older siblings. The firstborn -or should I say, firstborns- are twins, Chanhyuk and Chansung. Apparently, when they turned out to be twins, twin boys at that, my father celebrated, like there was no tomorrow. Then he thought that he would get another boy, turned out he didn’t and that’s Doyeong came to be. Then they thought ‘why not try again, we might get a boy this time.’ Nope. Eunbi came out this time. Again, my father was tremendously enraged, blaming my mother for things she literally can’t control. Then for reasons God knows why they decided to try again. And yet again, another girl. This time it was Jisoo. And, yet again, out the door, my father goes. Finally, this is where I come in the picture, They decided to try another damn time. And here I am, in this discriminating society where women had no rights.

 

They were awful. My brothers and my Father. They honestly didn’t care about our well-being. Us. His own damn family. All he cared about was the men in our family. My oldest brothers. They got everything they ever wanted. Our family wasn’t rich, but we weren’t dirt poor either. We were an average family. We had a farm, my father would sell the things we women harvested, my brothers got to go out and enjoy their childhood, they got to go to school too. We had enough to survive. Well, the men had more than enough. If they didn’t have money, they’d take money my mother and us girls have been collecting for years since they didn’t really care. If we ran out, they’d beat us. Simple. We were objects to them, pets. Lower than dogs. Even dogs had a better lifestyle than us women.

 

Even though The women in my family were the nicest people on earth, they cared for me, they tried to make my childhood as happy as they could possibly make, but of course, it was shattered by the men. I’ve tried countless times to escape this hell hole but every time, I’d get caught be beaten. But through those escape expeditions, I got to meet a great friend. His name’s Mun Geonsik and he doesn’t treat me like the other men. He was kind and he was considerate. It was actually quite relieving to meet someone like him, he actually gave me time to breathe and relax and I really appreciated that.

 

Today though, Is another day, another chance for me to escape. I quickly left the house, running the fastest a little 8 years old can go. I stumbled upon a meadow. A peaceful one at that. The cool breeze gusting through the grass, the little birds singing songs from a distance. I laid down on the grass as I closed my eyes, relaxing my nerves. I knew when I got back I’ll be dead, but I honestly didn’t care. I sat back up. Looking at the blue sky as I started to sing.

 

Going deeper in the night, With your voice my only guide,” I started singing the ‘new’ song I composed before I got into that accident. “I’ll wait for the dawn, To come rushing by,” I smiled as I started to remember past memories I had in my previous life. “One step closer you and I…”  By this time, I started tearing up.

 

I wrote this song hours before the accident... I thought as I continued to sing.

 

As the moonlight starts to fade, And the dawn it starts to break, You’ll be the moon, I loved in the night…” My sobs not breaking the melody of the song. “So goodbye,” I whispered the last part. Sobbing hard into my forearms.

 

Goodbye… Mother, Father. I’ve missed you dearly. I hope you had a great life. I know years have passed, maybe even decades. I don’t know where you are now. You might be with big sister, or who knows, you might’ve been reincarnated as well. Maybe, I’ll cross paths with you… I cried harder.

 

“What are you doing here?” I heard a voice from behind. Quickly, I wiped my tears away with my hands and stood up.

 

“I’m… sorry…” Why was I sorry? I didn’t do anything wrong… I thought as I looked at the ground and, gradually looked at the person.

 

“Yeah, you should be. Crying like that.” he scoffed. The hell? Okay, I never knew crying was a damn sin. I tried concealing my anger and annoyance away as I looked down.

 

“Be careful girl, there’s a person behind him. I don’t think you can see him since he’s using his magic to make himself invisible.” I looked over to the voice to see a little squirrel up on a tree. Quickly, I looked over to see behind the boy.

 

“You have someone else here?” I blurted out. Quickly I whipped my hands up to my mouth.

 

The boy looked astonished. He didn’t know what to say.

 

“Looks like the invisible man looks shocked as well, girl.” The squirrel says, again.

 

“What did you… say?” the boy asked.

 

“Nothing. I said nothing.” I quickly defended.

 

“No, you surely said something. Tell me, girl. What did you say?” he demanded. “I command you to tell me.” I sighed. It was a ‘rule’ to comply with whatever a male commands. I mocked in my head of what my older sister would say.

 

“I said, there’s another man here. That man behind you. He looked astonished too.” I muttered the last part. And again, he -or should I say They- looked astonished.

 

I looked up to see the sky turning a beautiful pinkish orange color. Oh no. I should go back now. I don’t want to be murdered. I quickly thought. As much as I want to escape that place, I had nowhere to go.

 

“Who are yo-”

 

“Look, I gotta go. I’m sorry I’m ‘breaking the rules’ or some like that I honestly don’t care. You can kill me right here right now and I wouldn’t care. I honestly would rather die than to be stuck in this misogynistic hell hole.” I rolled my eyes. Quickly, I took off. Preparing myself for what was about to happen at home when I get back. I sighed at the thought.

 

 

Boy’s POV

Who was she and why does she know of the special knight? And the NERVE of her to speak to me, the prince, that way? How dare she. I was fuming. Who was she to tell me who I am? She’s just a woman. A pathetic one at that. She definitely didn’t have a beautiful voice that I would LOVE to listen to all day to… 

 

Author Note: 

This' a new story that I just like kinda got inspired to make... It may be confusing as of right now, but it'll be clearer as the story goes by :)) I honestly wasn't planning on releasing it just yet, but I changed my mind so, HERE IT IS!! hope you guys enjoy it~