Chapter 1

Robbery Gone Wrong (Or Maybe Right?)

    Seokjin unlocked his front door, exhausted from his day at college. He trudged down the hallway to his room, dragging his feet. He entered and tossed his bag to the side, flopping down on the bed and heaving a huge sigh.

 

    Oh, thank god it was Friday. That meant he could relax and do his homework later. Though Seokjin curses as his decision to rent an apartment instead of staying at his college’s dorm. What’s the point of saving money if he’s too drained to live ?

 

    Seokjin lifted his back and turn to sit, leaning on his pillows. He grabbed the book on the small table next to him that he was currently in the process of reading. He curled up on his bed, his warm blanket around him as he proceeded to open the book to where he left off.

 

    He can relax! He’s entitled to it! He had a very bad day at the university. First, the printer at his school’s library was all whack, so the essay he had spent all of last night finishing didn’t print properly. And he couldn’t find another way to print it since he would have been late for his class. Then when he entered the class empty-handed and told his teacher what had happened, she replied with a “Not my problem.” And the teacher doesn’t accept late work, so he got a zero on the assignment that was worth 20% of his semester grade. Second, he was shoved in the hallway on accident, and the fancy, expensive $7 coffee he got as a cheer-me-up food item after that class spilled all over the ground. And third, he accidentally missed the bus that took him to his apartment, because he dropped his folder and he had to catch the flyaway papers that were flying in the wind. So he had to walk for nearly 45 minutes to his apartment. But now he’s here, and he’s not going to even think a single bit about college!

 

    Seokjin slouched and looked up, sighing as he remembered his plans for the day. He was supposed to have gone out right after college with his friend, Ken. They were going to see a new interesting movie and then go to the mall to shop, but he had been so exhausted after the events of the day that he had cancelled on Ken. Seokjin knew he had disappointed Ken, but he honestly just wanted to relax at home after his bad day.

 

    Seokjin started reading, soon getting invested in the story and reacting to what happened in the book. He was at the part when the main character was hearing thumps at the place where they were hiding, when Seokjin heard something.

 

     Thud .

 

   Seokjin looked up from the book, confused. He waited. He didn’t hear anything. He shrugged and went back to reading. He had just started to read when he heard that sound again.

 

     Thud.

 

    Thud.

 

   Seokjin looked up again, startled. Now he knew he didn’t imagine it! He slowly got up, setting the book down. He slowly moved to his bookshelf and picked up a large hardback textbook, trying not to make any noise. He gently opened the door and peered out. Nothing. Seokjin gulped and stepped out of his room.

 

    Seokjin slowly tiptoed down the hallway, carefully watching for any kind of movement. When he reached the end of the hallway, he craned his neck to gaze into the living room. He gasped.

 

    There was a man in his apartment. The man was tall and lanky, with bleached blond hair. He was currently holding a large bag, and was walking around, grabbing things and shoving them in the bag. As Seokjin looked at his living room, he saw two of his figurines and a vase, shattered on the floor. He now had insight as to what made those thumps, but he was also angry. He paid good money for those!

 

    Seokjin waited with bated breath, until the man turned with his back facing him. Seokjin then charged forward, only seeing the man’s shocked face for a split second before Seokjin brought his book down on the guy’s head and knocked him unconscious.

 

     Seokjin stood over the now unconscious man, breathing heavily. He stared at the man, until he remembered what was happening.

 

    Seokjin dropped the book, bringing his hands up to clutch at the side of his face as he chanted, “Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god,” again and again as he stepped over the body and approached his phone, which he had left on this counter this morning by accident. Another bad thing to this day!

 

    Though I guess that really doesn’t matter now.

 

    Seokjin made his way to the phone when he say the bag with his stuff on the ground. He hesitated, then realizing the situation he was in, he picked up the bag and rushed to his closet, where he emptied the bag. He closed the closet door and rushed back, dropping the back and nearly tripping over the man as he stumbled towards his phone.

 

    Seokjin picked up his phone and shakily dialled the emergency number. He brought the phone to his ear as he listened to the dial tones, waiting for someone to pick up. His prayers were answered.

 

    “Hello? What’s the emergency?” He heard on the line. He gripped the phone tighter and started talking, fast and rattled.

 

    “Yes, hello? This is Kim Seokjin, I came to my apartment today and I was in my room when I heard a thud, I picked up one of my really heavy textbooks and approached the living room, where I found a guy taking my things and putting them in a bag, I snuck up on him and hit him with my textbook, he’s now unconscious on my floor, please help!”

 

    “Sir? I couldn’t understand you. Please speak again more slowly.”

 

    Seokjin took a shaky breath and started again, trying to slow down and enunciate his words. “My name is Kim Seokjin. I entered my apartment and started relaxing in my room, thinking everything was fine. I then heard a thud, upon which I grabbed a textbook and proceeded to- Ack!”

 

    Seokjin dropped the phone as muscled arms wrapped around his neck, holding him in a chokehold. And true to it’s name, he was being choked. He wheezed, trying to desperately inhale air into his lungs, eyes watering. His hands moved up to the one around his neck, hopelessly trying to remove the obstruction. As his eyes started to shut, he looked down and barely saw a foot step on and crush the phone that was on the floor, making the phone now broken beyond repair.

 

    Seokjin rasped, fiercely trying to draw air in. Seokjin felt himself slipping in and out of consciousness. The man behind him said one thing, in a deep, deep voice.

 

    “Sorry, pretty boy. This time things didn’t work out for you.”

 

    Seokjin out.