Chapter 14 : Progression

In Another Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 14: Progression  

“Where am I..”

 

Taeyeon woke up with a headache. She found herself lying on a couch with a blanket draped over her. She sat up and massaged her temple. She glanced around, trying to decipher what had happened. She snapped her head as she heard a click and dissolved herself into thin air.

 

“Taeyeon, it’s me, come out.”

 

It was Key. As he ordered, Taeyeon reintegrated back into herself. This was Taeyeon’s pureblood ability. She can disintegrate her atoms so that it just dissolves into the air and rearrange them back into herself. It was quite a fitting ability for someone who came from a bloodline of nearly completely wind contorters. However, Taeyeon was fully capable of other elements. Against all odds, Taeyeon went through rigorous training to be able to control water and fire as well. Despite Taeyeon’s natural skills to be able to pick up contorting elements that weren’t seen in her bloodline for generations, she wasn’t able to pick up earth or ground contorting. It is believed that it isn’t remotely possible for someone who came from an extremely extended line of wind contorters to master their opposite element. It was already a wonder that she managed to even control fire and water.

 

“So how are you?”

 

“I’ve got a splitting headache but that’s not really out of the ordinary,” she scoffed.

 

She slumped herself back into the couch.

 

“What was the last thing you remember?”

 

“Not sure. Probably me in a locked room. I was chained and stuff.” She recalled calmly.

 

“You were what?”

 

Agitated, Taeyeon sat upright on the couch and recited what she said before but louder.

 

“I SAID, ‘NOT SURE, PROBABLY ME IN A LOCKED ROOM IN CHAI-’ wait WHAT!?”

 

“Yeah exactly.”

 

“But why what. You-you didn’t chain me up did you?!”

 

“No of course not. Do you remember our talk in your office?”

 

“Parts of it, why?”

 

“It’s just, not to freak you out, you became her again for a few seconds. Your eyes were the midnight blue. Nothing happened you just passed out afterwards.”

 

“Honestly, I thought you would know by now that us swapping body doesn’t freak me out anymore, it’s the fact that we can only do that once we are close enough or one of us gains enough power, and I certainly haven’t. How long was I out for?”

 

“Must have been a few hours. Does that mean she’s back?” He paused for a bit. “Do you think it’s because of Yebin’s and Nayoung’s case?”

 

“I don’t think that’s fully the cause but there must be some sort of correlation here.”

 

A solemn silence fell over them. It had been a few months and while Key fully trusted Yebin and Nayoung, he knew the bond that appears after a pureblood falls in love. He doesn’t want to do it, but if he has too, he would have to get rid of her himself. He would rather much take the blame for killing someone but he feels that Yebin deserves at least some sort of justice, some time. If she ends up saying she couldn't do it and asks him, he wouldn’t mind.

 

“Were the newbies notified of me coming in?”

 

“You still want to talk to them?”

 

“Of course. I cannot let my personal issues interfere with business, you know that. So, were they?”

 

“Yes, they were.”

 

“Good. I expect good things only. I hope they’ve prepared themselves.”

 

“Yea, they’re going to need it if it’s you,” he said jokingly.

 

She stood up and brushed her clothes.

 

“So what time?”

 

“A bit less than an hour.”

 

“Perfect. Gives me enough time to just warm up.”

 

She left the room and closed the door, leaving Key alone in her office.

 

It had been a few months now since he had given out the task to Yebin and Minkyung. He did trust them, but frankly, nothing seemed to be happening. He didn’t want to interfere unless he absolutely had to. Lately, more cases have been popping up and he really needed trustworthy trainees to take them on. He and Taeyeon have done a fair share of fighting themselves but what they really needed to do was to focus on training the recruits so they can fight themselves. Ever since the Yebin and Nayoung left, the recruits had been fighting to the top but not all of them were motivated. If they wanted to continue to live, they would have to learn to fight for it. He hopes that Taeyeon can

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter