Too Many Missing Pieces

Break the Cycle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hey. I’ve missed you.”

 

Dahyun says, a mix exasperation and longing evident in her voice.

 

“I’ve missed you too. How’s your first day going?”

 

“I don’t know, really. I just…” Dahyun hesitates but eventually lets it out.

 

“I’m anxious...”

 

Dahyun sighs as she talks into her phone, deciding against going into further detail of that morning’s events.

 

“Just take a deep breath, unnie. You’ve done a lot of missions like this before, and you’ve always been one of the best at it, so you got this okay?”

 

Getting this kind of encouragement from this particular person has always been a big thing for Dahyun.

 

“Thanks, Tzuyu. I’d hug you right now if I could.”

 

And Dahyun means it.

 

Tzuyu, even being the youngest member of her team, has always been honest and unfiltered when it comes to what’s good and what’s not, which makes Dahyun appreciate her a bit more with encouragements, criticisms and opinion on various topics at hand.

 

And she certainly trusts Tzuyu enough. Receiving such compliments from the younger girl on a day like this is something she’s really grateful for.

 

Sensing that there’s still doubt in her unnie’s voice, Tzuyu continues on with her actual reason for calling.

 

“Well, would it help if I told you I got you some intel about Mr. Minatozaki?”

 

Dahyun’s face brightens at Tzuyu’s question.

 

“Shoot.” Dahyun could hear the rustling of papers on the other side of the line before Tzuyu spoke once more.

 

“Okay, so I called Captain Park Jihyo and as we know, Mr. Minatozaki was dealing with a lot of businesses. It ranges from medical and pharmaceutical, automotive, food, transport, you name it, which definitely makes him and his entire family a staple on every social and business circles.”

 

Dahyun is well aware of this, having made multiple prior checks and research on the man and his many ventures.

 

“But get this, these past three years he has also started to expand his empire into electronics and technology in secret and has started funding a few projects here and there that can hit it big in the market.” Tzuyu continues to explain.

 

“And I would assume that these projects are revolutionary enough to get him in trouble. What else did you find out?”

 

“Right now, Captain Park is in Japan and is following a lead on one of Mr. Minatozaki’s said projects. Apparently, Mr. Minatozaki himself has participated in the creation of this particular product, having a degree in both Business and Bioengineering. So my best guess is something related to the latter.”

 

“Did Captain Park find out what it’s about exactly?” Dahyun’s eyebrows furrowing in question.

 

“THAT is what Jihyo sunbaenim is trying to find out in Japan. That’s where Mr. Minatozaki’s head scientist and partner is currently staying. Since the project is highly classified, Jihyo sunbaenim is having a bit of a challenge in getting more info.”

 

“Does she think this is what got Mr. Minatozaki in trouble?” Dahyun confirms. She needs to be sure about it if she is to protect not just Sana, but whatever it is these people want to obtain in the first place.

 

“Well, Jeongyeon unnie, SinB unnie and Chaeyoung have been doing their own research on Mr. Minatozaki’s other ventures too and right now, this is the most plausible cause. We’ll know once I get a follow up from Jihyo sunbaenim and the others.”

 

Dahyun resigns with the new lead that she has and remembers something she’s forgotten to do before leaving for Seoul.

 

“Thank you for the information, Tzuyu. And I never got to tell you again before I left but, thank you for saving my before. Chaeyoung said you practically hauled me outta there.” Dahyun says in her most sincere tone.

 

“Hey, what are friends for huh? And stop thanking me already, I think this is the millionth time that you have. Though I wouldn’t mind you buying me pizza and a cold one after this whole thing is over.” She can practically see Tzuyu smiling at the other end of the line.

 

Dahyun hums in agreement. “I’ll call you every now and then, okay? You keep safe too, Yoda. And say hello to the others for me.”

 

“Will do, unnie. You too and good luck with the devil.” Tzuyu chuckles.

 

“By the way, Tzuyu?” Dahyun smiles knowingly.

 

“Just ask Jihyo unnie out already, will you? It’s too obvious she likes you too when she gives you that much information and holds out on me.” Dahyun laughs and can imagine her friend rolling her eyes at the statement.

 

“Like I’ll ever get the confidence to ask someone like her on a date. I’m confident, but not THAT confident She’s way too perfect and gorgeous.” Tzuyu says matter-of-factly.

 

“Gotta go, unnie. I’ll call soon.”

 

Dahyun shakes her head as Tzuyu ends the call before she can even protest further.

 

After Momo disappeared into their classroom for that morning, Dahyun decided to take herself on a tour of the school. Familiarizing herself with exits, entrances and every other place she can explore for an hour and a half, when she got Tzuyu’s call.

 

After the call, she proceeded with her initial plan and did her usual thinking.

 

She remains unsettled with Sana’s behavior that morning and resigns from thinking about it for a while. She walks back inside the building to Sana to her next class and mulls over her next move.

 

As she walks down the halls of the main building, Dahyun makes a mental note to ask Aunt Chun or even Mrs. Minatozaki of any knowledge about this supposed project and if the possibility of it getting Sana’s life in danger is more imminent than she thought.

 

The bell rings, signifying the end of first period. Students filed out of their classrooms, heading over to their next classes. Dahyun waits patiently outside Sana and Momo’s classroom and sees the two coming out while chatting animatedly about something.

 

Dahyun simply follows the two as they head over the next corridor, all the while throwing “hi”s and “hello”s to a few friends and acquaintances. As they reach another classroom, Sana halts and turns to look at Dahyun.

 

“We have practice until 6 so if you can just wait for a while for us, that’d be great.” Sana says in an unfamiliar, nice tone. Dahyun almost forgot to hide the surprised look on her face when Sana addressed her but dismisses it immediately, keeping in mind to have her guard up.

 

“Sure.” Dahyun affirms. This will certainly give her more time to observe the surroundings anyway and even the people around Sana. She does miss the somewhat warning look Momo is giving her while the latter was being practically dragged by Sana into their classroom.

 

----

 

Dahyun finishes up another series of rounds of the school, making sure she’s had a word with the academy’s headmaster, Mr. Park Jinyoung, about the whole protection detail going on with Sana.

 

Headmaster’s Office

 

“Ah, yes. I’ve heard. Again, I extend my sincerest condolences to their family. The Minatozaki family has always been generous when it comes to our academy’s charitable pursuits.” The headmaster, Mr. Park Jinyoung, circles back to his chair after making himself a cup of tea from his rather impressive tea bar situated near his equally impressive trophy and awards case.

 

Mr. Park smooths his rather attention-grabbing, purple velvet coat as he sits on his swivel chair and turns to look at Dahyun, sitting at the other side of his massive, dark oak desk.

 

“Mr. Park, I do have to ask, how is Sana’s life here in the academy? And during her stay here, has anything unusual or suspicious happened?” Dahyun inquires as she shifts in her seat, observing the rather odd man in front of her.

 

The headmaster takes a small sip of his freshly brewed tea before settling down his cup and taking on a more brooding look.

 

“Captain Kim, this academy houses the children of the most elite families here in Seoul and even the neighboring cities. I think it’s safe to say that every single student in here has a target on their backs and that includes Minatozaki Sana and even her best friend, Hirai Momo.” Mr. Park purses his lips as he gets up from his seat and walks in front of the large glass windows behind him.

 

“In any case, Ms. Minatozaki is one of our best and brightest. She may be a bit of a colorful character but nevertheless, she does well with her studies and extra-curricular activities. Quite popular too, not just with the young men in here but with the young women too.” An unexpected chuckle from the headmaster somewhat surprises Dahyun.

 

“As for anything unusual, nothing that we couldn’t handle. Our academy prides itself on our ability to keep these children safe and we do wisely spend what their parents pay for every semester on state-of-the-art security systems and physical security. I know you’ve already taken yourself on a tour and as you may have seen, every entrance and exit are appropriately guarded.”

 

Dahyun nods. There’s not a single entrance that is not guarded or at least has a roaming security near it. Even the cafeteria itself has guards stationed at the entrance. Security cameras practically littered the entire campus like a maximum security prison.

 

“We also make sure to run background checks on every person that walks into our halls. That includes drivers, personal bodyguards, friends and family of the students. Including Special Forces captains such as yourself.” Mr. Park flashes Dahyun a smirk as if saying he knows every tiny secret she has.

 

“Top student in the military academy, excelled in recons and rescue, youngest captain in the Forces. Impressive, I must say.”

 

Dahyun remains stoic as she looks at the man pacing in front of her. It wasn’t like she had anything to hide in the first place.

 

“With that being said, all I want is for our students to be safe and I believe the Forces has done a darn good job by sending you here.” Mr. Park returns to his chair and reaches for a file from one of his drawers.

 

“Here is a list of all the people that has come in here and is connected to Sana. It’s a small list, considering she keeps her circle small and close, on contrary of her popular status here at the academy. I hope it helps you.”

 

Dahyun reaches for the file and does a quick scan of the pages. Mr. Park was right; it was a rather small list. But filled with enough background checks for each person on the list.

 

The young captain bows in thanks and lets herself out of the room to return to her post outside Sana’s classroom.

 

----

 

“So what exactly are you planning on doing this time?” Momo whispers to Sana as she jots down whatever their teacher is writing on the board. Contrary to how lax she always seems to be, Momo actually cares about her grades.

 

Sana has done the courtesy of taking Momo up to speed with what happened that morning and her best friend has not stopped laughing at her until class started.

 

“Remember Art of War; Keep your friends close and your enemies, closer.” Sana smirks as she closes her notebook at the sound of the bell ringing for the end of class.

 

Whatever happened this morning, Sana wants payback one way or another.

 

Momo gets out of the classroom first and sees Dahyun leaning against a locker at the other side of the hall. She doesn’t even need

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter