NINE :ANH HYO SEOP POV

Last Autumn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                                       

 

 

I run to the outside when I saw Uncle Kim drags Ji Ae out. This is the first time I saw how cold is Uncle Kim with Ji Ae. I always heard from Jin that his father doesn’t treat Ji Ae nicely and their relationship is not like any ordinary father and daughter. Whenever I met Ji Ae and Uncle Kim, they might look awkward but I never saw any kind of mistreated and now after I saw he slapped Ji Ae, it really breaks my heart. How could he dare to slap his own daughter just because she disagree with this marriage. I know and I can understand why Ji Ae disagree with all of this. This is so sudden, even I surprise with this news but Ji Ae don’t deserve to be treated this way. She has her own opinion so do I. I don't agree with this old fashion match making. We’re not in 40’s or 50’s anymore.

I lean on the wall and listen to their conversation and slowly my tears fall. Listen to Ji Ae really hurting and painful for me. I couldn't believe this really happening now. Because of me, Ji Ae choose to cut ties with his father. Because of me, Uncle Kim hurt Ji Ae. I feel so guilty and I can't take this anymore. I want to get Ji Ae out from here but Uncle Kim is standing in front of me. He's looking surprised and I couldn't hide my disappointment.

“I’m sorry about tonight......” Uncle Kim begins.

“I accepted your apologizes but this relationship won’t happen. This decision is between me and Ji Ae. I hope you will understand.” I said in my cold voice. I don’t mean to rude to him but I’m too mad right now.

“Ahn Hyo Seop.....”

“Uncle, I’m really respect you as my father’s friend and as Jin’s father but tonight I’m really sorry for being rude to you. I love Kim Ji Ae but I won’t force her to be with me if this is not what she wants.” I said and leave him. I have to go away from him before I do something more stupid. I am looking for Ji Ae but she’s no longer there. I run looking for her and I saw her with Jin.

“Ji Ae-ah....” I called. I saw something is not right about Ji Ae. She touched her stomach like it really hurt. Her face a bit pale and she’s sweating too. Lucky Jin caught her right on time so she doesn’t fall on the ground. I ran to her and Jin already looks so panic.

“Kim Ji Ae!!” Jin called her but Ji Ae did not respond to him.

“Hyo Seop-ah, car.....” Jin said and I run to the car park to get my car. Jin carried Ji Ae into my car and Jin let Ji Ae lay down on his lap. All the way to the hospital I don;t say anything just looking through the rear mirror to check on Ji Ae and Jin. First time I saw Jin cried while he looking at Ji Ae. He looks so scared. I drive to the nearest hospital and at the emergency doctor just run toward us.

“What happen to her?” The doctor asked Jin.

“Kim Ji Ae. 20 years old. She’s has Leukemia.....” Jin said and I can hear his voice shaking from fear and panic. I look at Jin's face when I heard him but he don't even pay any attention to me. His focus totally on Ji Ae. 

“Jin Hyung, is that true?” I asked Jin but he just looks at me. His lips stay silent but his eyes is enough to tell me everything. I felt like something just hit me very hard until I feel so knock out. My knee feels so weak so I put my hand on the wall to stabilise myself from falling. I just keep looking doctor and nurses push Ji Ae into a glass room and Jin stands behind the glass door watching her. I stand next to Jin and we both cry and saw doctor do his job.

Ji Ae laying down on the cold bed while the wire all around her body and doctor put the oxygen mask on her. She looks so pale and for the first time ever I saw her look so fragile and thin. Before I don't even realise this. Too many first time for me tonight. Ji Ae always smile so bright and playing happily with me like any ordinary girl. She never even has shown any symptom that she’s sick. 

I sit down on the chair outside of Ji Ae’s room. I feel a bit calmer but still I can’t stop crying. Jin come and give me a cup of warm coffee. Now I know why Jin asks me to take care of Ji Ae always when he was busy with his works. I thought Jin just caring and protective brother that always thinks about his little sister.

“Are you ok now?” Jin asked me and he seems calmer now. I don’t see him panic or scared anymore.

“How come you seem so relaxed now?” I asked and I saw a faint smile from him.

“This is not the first time she’s collapse like this. She sick since she was 10 years old. She fight her sickness silently until now. I also know about it a few years ago.....” Jin stops talking when he’s choking on his tears. He wiped his tears that fall on his cheek.

“Is she really in bad condition now?” I already know because I overheard Jin conversation with the doctor but I just want to make excuses and denied the reality. I still hope that I heard wrongly. When Jin nods I felt breathless once again. My chest feels tight make it harder for me to breaths.

“Doctor thinks she only has less than 6 months.....” Jin said. Both of us just stay quiet. It’s not that we don’t have anything to say but the feel around us just too heavy and gloomy too. Jin’s phone ringing and at the same time Aunt Mi Kyung also come running to us. Both of us stand up to meet her.

“Ji Ae... Where is she?” Aunt Mi Kyung asked and Jin point to Ji Ae’s room.

“Please go in first. I need to answer this call.” Jin said and let Aunt Mi Kyung go inside alone. I take a seat again and let Jin answer his phone.

“Aaa...Sorry. I have to go first because I have something to attend.... No, nothing serious. I will come back later but a bit late. Ok...” Jin talking and act like nothing happen. I hear him since he so close to me. I feel like I cross the line and eavesdrops his conversation, so I stand up. I stand near the door and watch Ji Ae from the small window in the door. Aunt Mi Kyung sits down next to her while holding her hand tight. See Ji Ae laying there make me cry once again. There is no words could express how miserable I felt this time. I felt helpless too. There is nothing I could do for her and here I am, standing here looking at her and cry only.

Jin sends me home since he worried about me. He wants me to rest tonight and come back tomorrow morning. He said Ji Ae will be much better tomorrow. I doubt if I could have a good night's sleep. At home, I surprise to see my father still awake and drinks while watching old movies.

“You’re home....” My father said.

“Hmmm....”

“Hyo Seop-ah, can I have a drink with you?” My father asked and I take a seat next to him on the sofa. He pours me a drink in a small glass and pass it to me. I look at his hand then into his eyes. Slowly I reach the glass and drink it. Silently my father picks up another glass and asking me to pour drinks for him. Without saying anything I follow his command.

“Hyo Seop-ah, you are a man now. You not a kid anymore and if you have anything you want to tell me, just tell me. Even if you say no in this marriage I will not mad at you. Your life is your decision. I won’t make any decision for you.” My father begins and I look at him. He touched my hand and hold it tight. I felt so thankful to have a very supportive father like him but Ji Ae...... Once again when I think of her, it just brings tears to my eyes.

“Do you really love her?” He asked in fatherly smile but I shake my head slowly.

“Appa...what should I do now? Ji Ae... Ji Ae is sick.” I said and broke down once again. My father just hugs me even though he doesn’t know anything. He tap my back to make me calm down but the agony that I felt tonight so unbearable. In the end without saying anything my dad and I just keep drinking until I pass out.

The next day, I wake up very late and it’s noon time. I sit down and felt my head spinning like crazy. My throat also feels so dry and bitter. I take my time until I feel better and go take a shower. After the shower I go out and saw my mother seating watching rerun drama.

“Are you hungry?” She asked but never broke her sight from TV. She really likes this drama.

“No.” I said. I don’t have the appetite to eat so I just grab a glass of water.

“Appa really worries about you....” My mother said and she turn the TV off now. She goes to the kitchen and warm the stew.

“There is nothing......”

“Hyo Seop-ah, even if you don’t say anything as a parent we know you have something in your mind. Just share it with us so we know and we could think the way out together.” My mother convinces me and once again tears fall from my eyes.

“Eomma, I really love Kim Ji Ae....”

“So...?”

“She’s sick, very sick.”I said and wiped my tears. I must stop this. If I cried in front of Ji Ae, she must feel more miserable and sorrow. I must be strong for her.

“Sick? She will get better.” My mother brushes it off like it was nothing since she don’t know.

“She has less than 6 months.” I said and she looks at me in surprise.

“What do you mean?” She asked. I told her and she just hugs me without saying anything. I could see tears in her eyes too.

“What a poor young lady. She’s just 20 years old.” My mother said.

“You should be strong for her and help her as much as you could. She needs people around her so she could be brave and strong too.”She said and I look at her. She’s right. I should be strong for her so she could be brave too. There is nothing I could do but at least I could give her a moral support.

“Eomma, thanks you. You help me a lot.” I said and she smiles happily at me.

“Glad I could help you.” She said and holds my hand.

After having my lunch, I go to the hospital to visit Ji Ae but Jin and Aunt Mi Kyung is not around. I just come in and saw Ji Ae sleeping. I take a seat next to her bed quietly so I don’t disturb her rest. I look at her hand and hold it. Her hand feels a bit cold so I touch her cheek too and it's cold a bit too. Is the air-con too cold for her? I stand up and look for Air-con remote so I could change the temperature a bit higher for her but then I saw Ji Ae open her eyes.

“Hai....” I said and I saw a faint smile on her lips. She looks so weak and a b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter