STAY ALIVE

THE SOLDIER'S WIFE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

Seungwan bids Dr. Jung goodbye and heads home.

On the way home, she can’t help but think about what Dr. Jung said.

 

FLASHBACK:

 

“Be careful or else you’ll find yourself falling.”

“Falling for what?”

“Love.”

 

END FLASHBACK.

 

 

Seungwan shakes her head and scoffs.

“Love? I think you’re getting old Dr. Jung.” She said to no one and continues on her way.

She arrives home to be greeted by her mother.

“Oh, you’re back.”

“Yes. Where’s Joohyun?” She asked automatically.

“Oh, she stopped by earlier to say she wanted to spend some time with her mother.”

“That’s good. Which means, I get to spend time with you.” Seungwan says with a smile.

She walks over and gives her mom a hug surprising her mother.

“Woah, what’s with the sudden affection today?”

“I just missed you today. That’s all.”

Her mother laughs and pats her back.

Seungwan pulls back and hands her mother a bag. “For you.”

Her mother looks at her with knitted brows. “What’s this?”

“I was strolling through town and when I saw it, I immediately thought of you so I got it as a present for you.”

Her mother opens up the bag and finds the sweater she’s been wanting. She didn’t want Seungwan to waste money on it for her so she never asked.

She looks at Seungwan with surprise. “How did you…?”

Seungwan only smiles. “You deserve more than this mom. For all the things you do for us and the love you give us. This can’t even compare.”

“Oh, sweetie, I love you. Thank you.” Her mother says but suddenly starts coughing really bad. She covers but it doesn’t help.

Blood starts seeping through her hand.

Seungwan’s eyes widen with fear and worry. “Mom, what’s wrong? Are you okay? We should go see Dr. Jung right now.”

Seungwan tries to pull her mother along but her mom stops her. She looks at her mother only to see her shaking her head.

At a loss, all Seungwan can do is help her mother to her room. Her mother lays in bed as she sits next to her mother.

“Omma…?”

“I’m fine sweetie. Just a little cough.”

“Mom, that wasn’t a little cough. You were coughing up blood. I’m going to go get Dr. Jung. Wait here okay?”

Seungwan tries to leave but her mother pulls her back. “Sweetie, don’t.”

Seungwan looks at her mother with tears in her eyes.

“I’ll be fine. Don’t worry.”

She remains quiet.

“Sweetie, it’s nothing.”

In a quiet voice, Seungwan finally speaks after some time. “Were you ever planning on telling me you have cancer?”

Hearing this makes her mother’s eyes widen in shock. “How…”

“You were never going to tell us, were you?” Seungwan says with pain in her face.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Joohyun and her mother slept side by side.

“Omma?”

“Hmm.”

“What is love?”

Her mother turns to look at her and frowns. “Why are you suddenly asking me about love?”

“It’s just, what was it like when you fell in love with dad?”

Her mother turns back to look at the ceiling with a smile on her face. “Actually, your father wasn’t the person I fell in love with. I mean I did love him and he was a good man. But the person I truly fell in love with wasn't your father."

"Really? How come you never told us?"

"It's a story I wanted to keep to myself."

"What were they like?"

"My first love was sweet, overprotective, and kind. They understood me even when I didn’t say anything. They knew every smile, every touch; every word my heart spoke.”

“What made you fall for them?”

“Their hands.”

Joohyun looks at her mother with a raised eyebrow making her mother laugh when she saw the expression.

“I know what you're thinking. Weird. But my first love had the most warm and gentle hands. With those hands, they protected me from everything; they built a house for me, worked hard for me, and held my hand through it all.”

“Wow. That person must’ve really loved you.”

“They did but sadly, it wasn’t meant to be.”

“What happened?”

“My first love went away. They did promise to come back. Yet, sadly before they came back, I was forced to marry your father.”

“Do you still love that person?”

“Even thinking about that person now, my heart still beats like crazy. It makes me happy I can’t form the right words sometimes.” 

"Where are they now? If you see them again, would you get back together?" 

Mrs. Bae smiles, "Would you be okay if I did?"

"I just want you to be happy."

"Thanks dear but I am happy." 

“Is that what falling in love feels like?”

Her mother chuckles. “Honey, love is different for everyone. I mean, how did you feel when you were with Sehun? Thinking about him, what does that make you feel?”

Joo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter