Epilogue

The Wedding Date

 

“Will you stop? You’re making me dizzy.”

 

Sungyeol has been nervously pacing the room for the last ten minutes or so, and if Sungjong didn’t comment on it, he won’t stop for the remaining ten minutes before the ceremony.

 

 

“You didn’t let me sit down, not to cause any creases on the tuxedo and now you want me to stand still? What am I? A pole?” 

 

 

He senses the smart reply on his cousin’s tongue before it slips out so he stops him, “Never mind. Don’t say it.” 

 

 

Sungjong sighs and stands up. He fills a cup of cold water and hand it to him. 

 

 

“I don’t understand. Weren’t you the one to propose in the first place? Why are you being this nervous?” 

 

 

Sungyeol empties the cup in one gulp and pushes it back to theyoungest. “Technically, yes. And that’s the thing with weddings, they get harder every time, not easier.”

 

 

And it’s true. On his wedding day to Hoya, he was extremely happy, like a fool. That’s what made the chock so devastating back then. This time, he’s subconsciously preparing himself for any mishap, thus the nervousness. 

 

 

“Hey,” Sungjong calls softly, his hand comforting on his shoulder, “Who are you getting married to today?” 

 

 

And the question may sound stupid, but it’s like he’s reminding him of something.

 

 

“Kim Myungsoo.” Sungyeol utters the name like the most sacred thing in the whole world. Even his heart still reacts to it the same way it’s been doing for the last two years. 

 

 

“Now, if you’ve ever thought, for just one second, that a day where Myungsoo will disappoint you will ever come, would you have proposed to him?” 

 

 

He’s answer is a certain “No. Never.” 

 

 

The youngest smiles softly, “Then why don’t you wipe that look away and let me fix your makeup. Only five minutes are left and I won’t allow you to get out of here unless you’re smiling your best smile.”

 

Sungjong’s words have their instant effect on Sungyeol’s mood, because he’s already smiling. He uses happy memories to erase his nervousness. The memories of his two-year relationship with Myungsoo. 

 

 

 

Sungyeol has moved to live with Myungsoo after the latter had asked him on their six months anniversary. It worried everyone around him, thinking that it was too soon and that it’ll ruin their relationship. But in the contrary. Every passing day brought them closer to each other and made them fall deeper in love.

 

Myungsoo was very affectionate and clingy, never going a day without expressing his love for Sungyeol, whether through actions or words. And Sungyeol basked in all that attention, never forgetting to do the same for his partner. They’ve shared secrets they’ve never told anyone about before. They’ve talked about their insecurities and fears and comforted each other. They also make sure to give space to the other, until he’s ready to open up about his concerns. 

 

They’ve had their share of bad days as well, and fought hard. But they always made sure to sort everything as soon as possible, their longest fight lasting twelve hours and thirty three minutes. For them, it’s never one against the other, it’s both of them against the problem, and it worked like magic. 

 

 

So for a year and six months, everything was going so well for them, their relationship as perfect as ever. Until the day Sungyeol had bursted in Myungsoo’s office at home to complain about how Byul was being a brat. Myungsoo had jumped in surprise before stuffing something in his secret desk drawer. He tried to play it cool afterwards, but he still looked like a deer caught in headlight. Myungsoo was just so bad at hiding things. So Sungyeol had pretended that he didn’t notice and continued his rant, but as soon as his boyfriend had left to work the next morning, he went to inspect the situation.

 

He wasn’t doing it out of curiosity or suspicion, but pure worry. He was worried that something bad had happened and Myungsoo was hiding it from him for his sake, beacuse that's something he tended to do a lot. Sungyeol couldn’t allow it anymore. He took the key from its hideout, because again, his lover was so bad at hiding things, and opened the drawer, where Myungsoo usually hid important documents. 

 

What he had found though, was what he had least expected. On top of a stack of some documents, there were a small notebook and a velvet blue box. Sungyeol had felt bad for intruding, but it was too late to back off. He’s getting curious. Inside of the box were two identical platinum rings with three round diamonds each. It still didn’t click for him until he saw his name engraved on the inside of one of them and Myungsoo’s on the other one. 

 

 

Myungsoo wanted to propose to him.

 

 

'MYUNGSOO WANTS TO PROPOSE? TO ME?'

 

 

He still couldn’t believe it, eve when he had opened the small notebook and ‘Project: Proposal, Target: Lee Sungyeol’ written in big bold letters, in what he was sure was Myungsoo’s handwriting, greeted him on the first page. And then, every page put more emphasis on the fact that 'Yes, Myungsoo wants to propose to me!'.

 

He had thought of everything, wrote a list of suggestions for each detail. And obviously, the most concerning detail for him was the date. Different dates were written, and then crossed, written, and crossed. The first date was three months ago, and the last was in two days. Most pages of the notebook were filled with different speeches for the proposal. Sungyeol teared a lot reading them, each one sweeter and more loving than the previous. 

 

So Myungsoo had been planning to propose for at least three months. But why was he hesitating so much? Why did he keep on delaying it? 

 

Sungyeol returned the items back to the drawer and acted as if he knew nothing, waiting for Myungsoo to finally propose. Two days had passed and nothing had happened, and then a week and then another. They both got really busy with work and another three months flown by really fast. Still nothing. The list of crossed dates kept lengthening and new location suggestions were added, new speeches were written. And Myungsoo still didn’t make his move.

 

It confused Sungyeol to no end. His lover got everything planned and could propose any day he wanted. But what was holding him back for so long?

Knowing Myungsoo, he wouldn’t have gone as far as planning and writing all those beautiful words, with Sungyeol in mind, unless he’s one million per cent sure of his feelings and decision. Of course it’s a big step for them and shouldn’t be taken lightly, but Myungsoo had implicated hundreds of times that he wanted to take that certain step with Sungyeol.  

 

And then it dawned on him.

 

The problem was him. Lee Sungyeol. Myungsoo was afraid of getting rejected, of scaring him off. He was just insecure. 

 

 

‘What did I do to deserve such a considerate boyfriend?’ 

 

 

The answer was really beyond him. Myungsoo was just so unreal. He didn't think that he can love him more than he did, but he was once again proved to be wrong. His love for the guy was really limitless. 

 

 

So before doing anything rush, Sungyeol had spent a few days asking himself the same questions over and over again, and had found himself answering in the same way each time.

 

 

‘Do you love Kim Myungsoo?’

 

 

‘I ing sure do love him.’

 

 

‘Do you trust him?’

 

 

‘I do, with my life.’

 

 

‘Do you want to spend the rest of your life with him?’

 

 

‘Forget about my life, I’d spend the rest of time with him.’

 

 

‘If he proposes, will you say yes?’

 

 

‘Will I say yes? He can propose to me on one of these mornings after three days of not showering nor shaving, with his evil curly bed hair and drool going down his chin and I’d still yes.’

 

 

After having that heart-to-heart conversation with himself, Sungyeol had decided to end Myungsoo’s dilemma. That was the least he could do for his lover. 

 

 

The day he chose for the proposal his plan was their 500th day anniversary, because yes, Sungyeol is the king of sap and had kept count. He told Myungsoo that he wanted to celebrate and asked him to dress up. Fortunately, he still hand’t noticed anything odd and didn’t ask question. He probably didn’t even notice that his notebook and the box were missing. 

 

 

“The harbor? What are we doing here?” he had asked, once they were in the parking area.

 

 

“I wanted to do something different this time.” Sungyeol pecked his lips lovingly, “Did I tell how gorgeous you look tonight?”

 

 

Myungsoo rolled his eyes, although his grin was wide, “Yeah, like a million times already.” 

 

 

“Let’s go then. Our ride is waiting.” 

 

 

The youngest didn’t ask anymore question, even though his steps were hesitant the closer they got to the dock. The owner of the boat Sungyeol had rented for the night was already waiting for them. He helped them get on board and started the engine right away. The midnight blue sky was lettered with millions of stars, the full moon so big and bright in the middle of them. The breeze was soft and the water so calm, even though summer was still a few weeks away. It seemed as if all the elements knew how important that night was for the couple that they chose to let it be beautiful and peaceful. 

 

Myungsoo’s hand never left Sungyeol’s the whole ride. He talked in such a calm manner that Sungyeol was sure he wasn’t expecting anything more. Which explained the surprise on his face when the boat got closer to the lit sea bungalow. It was his favorite location from Myungsoo’s list. It looked fantastic at night, and it was very quiet and private. A place just for them. The perfect location for a proposal.

 

 

“Wh-”

 

 

“Gentlemen, we’re here.” the sailor announced. 

 

 

Sungyeol stood up and offered his hand to his lover, “Shall we?” 

 

 

Confusion and amazement were very visible on Myungsoo’s face, but he allowed him to guide him on the dock and followed him to the back of the bungalow, were a fancy dinner was waiting for him. Sungyeol thanked the waiters and dismissed them. He waited until the boat drove back to the shore with all of the staff on it. 

 

 

“Now we’re finally alone. Let’s eat before the food gets cold.” 

 

 

The youngest didn’t seem to suspect anything yet, which amused Sungyeol further. He couldn’t imagine his surprise later on.

 

 

The dinner was monumental, and he made sure to engrave every detail of such a special night in his mind. They were surrounded by the sea from the four sides, there was soft music coming from inside the bungalow house, and they could see the city lights so far away from them. But although faced with such an enticing view, they couldn’t focus on anything but each other. 

So they spent a good portion of the dinner just talking and enjoying being in each other’s presence. When their plates were emptied, their glasses needing a refill, the candles almost burning out, and a seren silence fell on them, Sungyeol decided it was finally time.

 

 

“I have something for you.” 

 

 

“Sungyeol come on!” Myungsoo hurried his face in his hands, “I already feel bad that I didn’t even bring you a gift while you’ve done all of this. And now you tell me there’s more?!”

 

 

“Believe me, you’re going to love it.” 

 

 

He reassured him, dropped a kiss on his temple and ran inside the house to bring his present

 

 

“Open it.” he handed the package to a guilty-looking Myungsoo.

 

 

And once more, the latter was faced by another chock. Once the notebook was fully unwrapped, his eyes kept crazily moving from it to Sungyeol’s face.

 

 

“It’s okay, turn the page.” he smiled reassuringly.

 

 

He’s done many modifications to the notebook. With a red pen, he added Myungsoo’s name under his name on the first page, crossed the latest date Myungsoo had written and wrote their anniversary's date, circled the 'bungalow' and the 'dinner under the starts' options. As for the speech pages, he had drawn a heart around every ‘I love you’, wrote a ‘YES!!’ under every ‘Will you marry me?’ and underlined all the expressions he liked the most. And in the last page, he wrote a big ‘Will YOU marry me?’  


He watched the changes in Myungsoo’s face, taking in the little chuckles, the loving smiles and the teary eyes that skipped through every page and every line. When he finally lifted his head, he was on the verge of tears.

 

 

"You had once asked me, if I'd ever marry after what happened. Do you remember my answer back then?"

 

 

"If I find the right person," Myungsoo's voice broke, "That's what you said."

 

 

"And I had found him. His name is Kim Myungsoo." 

 

Sungyeol got on one knee, opening the rings’ box, "Will you marry me.?"

 

 

Myungsoo bursted crying while nodding his head hysterically.

 

“Yesyesyesyesyesyes!”

 

 

And if that moment wasn’t the most precious moment in Sungyeol's life he didn’t know what could be. He jumped in Myungsoo’s arms and hugged him dearly.

 

 

“God I love you so much!”

 

 

 

“Me too.” Myungsoo mumbled in his shoulder, sniffling badly, “I love you so much.” 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And here they are, less than two months later, getting married in one of the most beautiful resorts in South Korea, Jade Garden. Woohyun was the one to suggest the location, and they couldn’t imagine finding a more beautiful place to get married at, so they booked it right away. They did the whole wedding organization together, giving attention to every detail, wanting their special night to be as perfect as ever.

 

So regardless of his previous anxiety, Sungyeol has never been this certain about anything in his whole life.

 

But he's not the only one being nervous. Myungsoo is going through a meltdown as well in the room across the hall. 

 

 

“What if he’s not ready? What if he panics and leaves? Maybe he’s regretting his choice right now? Sunggyu what am I supposed to do?” 

 

 

“Maybe CALMING THE DOWN?!” Sunggyu yells at him, “You overthink things, that’s why it took you SIX FREAKING MONTHS to ING propose. And what happened in the end? He was the one to do it because it took you too ING LONG!” 

 

 

His friend’s outburst scared him. Everything that he said was true though. Myungsoo was extremely wary when it came to the proposal and kept delaying it. It turned out that his fears were meaningless, because Sungyeol loves him just as much and had said ‘yes’, or technically had proposed himself. But Myungsoo still worries about his soon-to-be-husband. Everything that is happening  is too perfect to be true.

 

 

“Come on it’s time.” 

 

 

He cautiously steps out of the room, the same time Sungyeol comes out of the room across the hall, accompanied by Sungjong. As soon as their gazes meet, all worry dissipates into thin air, and love is all there’s left. They both feel like floating on the clouds as they walk, hand in hand, to the outside garden where their guests are waiting for them, to where they’ll be bounded forever. 

 

Sungyeol feels stupid. Because how could he doubt Myungsoo, when he’s looking at him like he’s the only person that matters on earth when he speaks his ‘I do’, so certain and beautiful.

And Myungsoo feels stupid. Because how can he doubt Sungyeol, when he breaks into the merriest smile ever and speaks his own 'I do', so sure and content.

 

So maybe they both have been stupid. But now they're sure that they want the same thing, to be together, forever.

 

It's not the end of their story. It's  a new beginning.

 

- FIN -

 

 

 


 

And I couldn't end it in a more cheesy way. Forgive me for any mistakes. I've written it in a few hours and didn't really edit it.