JD 696

Romance in the Church (Hiatus)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

In case a heated argument demolished any trust they’ve established, Shinhye and Youngjae have relocated themselves into her office. Youngjae was lying down on a couch, pressed up against the wall. Meanwhile, Shinhye was sitting behind her tidy desk. She tapped the surface of her desk, with her nails, for a while before asking, “Why are you looking for Nonfinite?”

Youngjae shrugged as he propped his head up against the armrest, “Just interested,”

There was a long silence before Shinhye asked in a low voice, “Are you part of the mafia?”

The idea made him laugh on the inside. “Mafia? Why?” he paused as he stole a glimpse of her, “Are you into them?”

“Into them?” she asked, innocently.

The bored one hummed, “Like interested in them,” whatever her answer was, he thought it wouldn’t surprise him. But when it came with a sad voice, Youngjae perked up a brow.

“A little,” he watched as Shinhye got out of her chair and headed over to the circle-shaped window just behind her, she positioned herself evenly against the wall as she gazed out, “the leader of Nonfinite and I used to be friends. We practically grew up together,” it was the first time Youngjae heard her in a softer voice, “he promised we will grow old together. But one day when he left to find help, he went missing. I like to think he got lost. Because when he returned, three months later, he was a changed person. Uncivilized, unsympathetic, and nasty,”

Unknowingly, as he was listening to her, Youngjae had seated himself up properly and stayed quiet.

“You asked if I like being in power,” sluggishly she faced him, “truth is...I feel powerless,”

Youngjae had a hunch but something told him to ask, “Do you have feelings for him?” He also supposed that if she was going to tell him about Nonfinite’s leader, she might as well revealed it all.

“Once upon a time I harbored affection towards him. Growing up, our feelings were mutual. But it’s hard to accept him now,”

Youngjae bobbed his head, “Well, nothing about him scream cool anyway,”

His statement made the lass tilt her head, “What do you mean?”

“Those squinty eyes? I wouldn't be surprised if he’s got poor vision. Not to add, what’s with the ugly orange hair and a terrible sense of fashion? It’s no wonder you’ve moved on,”

Surprisingly, Youngjae’s comment made her laugh, “That’s not him,” she cackled, “that’s his wingman, Kim Sunggyu,” she said in between laughs. For a short moment, Youngjae felt like he has been played. That meant there was someone else backing the group. Helplessly Youngjae laughed a little. It wasn’t like him to commit mistakes, especially when it was said with confidence. “Thank you Youngjae,”

His eyes widened a little in surprise as he exchanged eye contact with her, “For what?”

“It’s been awhile since I’ve had a good laugh,”

Youngjae couldn’t hold back a grin, “You know what? Me too,”

It was almost eleven when Youngjae opened the door to Shinhye’s office. And to his surprise, Jangjun, Himcha, and Yonggon waking up by the door, most likely from eavesdropping. Youngjae knew he was in a good mood when he saw Yonggon and could smile.

“Did something good happen? You two have been in there for nearly five hours!” Jangjun spelled out the obvious but Youngjae simply patted the younger on his shoulder; although they were about the same height.

“It’s late. Let’s all go to bed,” was all he said to disband them.

Youngjae passed the now empty dining room as he headed into the hallway. The lights were left on but slightly dimmed. As he turned the corner, he met the eyes of his seating buddy from dinner. The lass was shorter than Shinhye, but her presence was just as prominent. He knew she had been waiting for him as she was in a robe, pillared up against the wall and with heavy eyebags. “Can we talk for a moment?”

He couldn’t see nor imagine the harm in it, but wonder the level of its importance, “Speak your mind,” he voiced.

“Not here,”

Picky, he thought. “Then where? Everyone is in bed anyway, aren’t they?”

Instead of answering, she arrested him by the wrist and attempted to drag him away. But Youngjae was much stronger so he held her back, “Unless you'd rather talk in my room, just stay here,”

Knowing she had no choice, the lass released Youngjae and took a step back. She looked around to assure they were alone. Then with fire in her gaze, she stated, “Shinhye is my best friend. If you ever challenge her again in front of everyone or me, I promise you I will—”

Youngjae leaned forward and stopped just inches away from her face, “Careful beautiful, I’ve got no heart and a rock for a head. If you declare war now, you better be prepared for the h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter