Letter

If We Were A Season

19 years old; Fall

The roads in front of their houses are full with fallen leaves and the boys are resting at their own house when the postman comes. He stops at Jae’s house and leaves a letter for that boy.

“Jae-ah, check the mail please,” Said Ms. Park who is busy cooking in the kitchen to Jae who is watching the rerun of his favourite movie, Chicken Little.

“Okay mom, a minute”, replied the tall boy while getting up from the sofa.

Jae happily skipping to the post box and his eyes goes wide when he looks at his name and the sender of the letter.

 

To:

Mr Park Jae Hyung / Jaehyung Park,

11/2 Sajik-ro-gil 23 Jongno-gu,

Seoul 30174

(South Korea)

 

From:

University of Toronto,

27 King’s College Circle,

Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A1 Canada

 

“MUM!!!MUMMMMMMMMM!!” Jae screams while making his way to his beloved mother. He finally stops screaming when he founds his mother in the kitchen.

“Park Jaehyung! Why are you screaming?” His mother asks in between Jae’s loud voice. He just grinned at his mother and flashes the letter at his shocked mother.

“What is th—OMG JAEHYUNG! QUICK! OPEN IT!” Ms. Park exclaims excitedly.

“Now you are one who is screaming mother”, Jae replies when chuckling. He then hastily opens the letter and there it is; his acceptance letter to the University of Toronto. He clasps the letter tightly and smiles brightly. Then he remembers about his not-so-official boyfriend (because they never really ask to be one) Brian. They applied for the university together back then.

“Mum! I’m going to Brian’s!” he shouted to his mum who is happily breaking the news to their father who is abroad now.

Jae runs to Brian and almost stumbled on his way. He greets Ms. Kang who is watching movies in the living room with her husband and proceeds to find Brian in his room.

He fling the door and shouts,”BRi!!!!!!!!!!!BRIAN!!!!!!!”

“You really don’t know how to knock right”, Brian replies while rolling his eyes at his best-friend aka sometimes boyfriend.

“Have you checked your mail yet?” Jae asks ignoring Brian’s sarcastic remarks. He is standing in front of Brian while smiling broadly and he hides the letter at his back.

“Mail? We ain’t getting any mail today. Why?” Brian said while lifting his left eyebrow at Jae.

Jae’s smile falters. His hands drop to his side and Brian sees the letter. Before Jae realized his action, Brian quickly grabs the letter and read it. It is too late for Jae to take the letter back.

Jae slumps his body on the bed beside Brian and Brian’s face changes when he read the letter. It was in a split second but Jae saw it; the sadness in Brian’s eyes before he quickly cover it with a broad a smile.

“HEY MANNNNN!!! CONGRATSSS!!” Brian exclaimed loudly while throwing his arms at Jae. He hugged the taller man a little bit tighter than usual and Jae froze. He knows that Brian is the one who really wanted to go to Canada.

Brian hides his disappointed face at Jae’s back and Jae knows that.

“But you aren’t there,” Jae whispers slowly. He feels the smaller boy sighing before he pulls out from the hug.

“Hey, don’t be sad. Maybe my letter is coming later that you. Don’t worry, okay?” Brian replies with a smile, trying to convince the blonde guy that it is okay. But Jae knows Brian is nervous; he is afraid that the letter might not come for him. Jae smiles back with sadness in his eyes.

A week passed. Then, a month passed. But still no sign of Brian’s letter.