A Truce

Goryeo Outlander

As both parties stared at each other from across the table, the atmosphere between them was so dense, Soo imagined she felt it weighing her down when she moved to pour her uncle a fresh cup of tea. Despite the pressure of having everyone’s attention on her, she made no mistakes and even managed a small smile when she lifted her eyes and made eye contact.

Though the circumstances surrounding this reunion weren’t ideal, she was very happy to see her friends again. They all looked well, except for Baek Ah who looked a little pale. She ran her eyes all over his face and body, looking for blood or any indication of an injury, but found none, then she remembered they had all been sick when she saw them last. Have they been taking their medicines? They would have known she had kept them in her pouch, which she had left behind.

She presented the cup to her uncle and sat down.

“To what do we owe such a… hostile visit?” her uncle asked at last.

“We might ask you the same,” So replied gruffly.

Hanjae assumed a politely confused expression that fooled no one. “What can you mean?”

“You invaded our camp and attacked our men,” Jung snapped back, “our thirteenth brother almost died!”

This alarmed both Soo and Myunghee, but one raised hand from Hanjae was enough to remind them of his threat. They forced their lips shut and returned to sitting quietly on either side of him. “I humbly beg Your Highnesses’ pardon; my men did not know any better. They saw my daughter and niece traveling with a group of men of unknown origins and expressed their concerns. Naturally, I sent out a party to rescue them at once.”

Soo suppressed a scoff and barely managed to stop herself from rolling her eyes. Did he really expect anyone to believe that?

But Prince So found this excuse amusing. “Is that right?”

“It is unfortunate, but accidents do happen. And now that you have repaid our transgression in kind," he swished his tea around and raised his eyebrows, “I suppose there is nothing left for us to discuss.”

Everyone was silent. Soo didn’t like it. Her uncle’s men had attacked them first, but with a few well-chosen words, he has managed to avoid responsibility. The princes now had a choice: leave without both the women and fulfilling what they had come here to do, or stay and bargain.

Leaving meant Myunghee would be sent back to the capital, and if the Haes were to give the crown information on the lost princes’ whereabouts - or worse, surrendered the princes themselves after capturing them - then the crown would have no choice but to reward the clan for their loyalty. Power to the Haes, Myunghee back as Wook’s wife… it would only be a matter of time before Wook took the throne for himself.

So was not blind to the political machinations that led to the death of so many noble ministers. Wook had used Jeongjong’s power as king to eliminate their common enemies, but Jeongjong alone received all the backlash. By eliminating so many enemies, he had also managed to create more. Coupled with the rumors of his treason against Hyejong and his cruel dictates as king, whoever can unseat him now would earn the favor of both the citizens and the rest of the nobles. They had to make sure Wook was not that man.

So eyed the closed doors, knowing that hundreds of men still stood outside, waiting for their master to give them his orders. Should a fight break out… he doubted all of them would be able to get out of here alive.

Hae Hanjae had them trapped and exactly where he wanted them to be. And now he was coaxing them to tell him what they had to offer without revealing anything from his end.

Sly old fox, Soo thought, arriving at the same conclusion.

So’s eyes flicked momentarily towards Soo and Myunghee. Two things were certain: first, returning to the capital was absolutely out of the question; second, the Haes had known they were coming and had allowed them to come this close. Hanjae was willing to listen because he was willing to negotiate; a true businessman. He wished to know from whom he could get a better deal before committing to a decision.

And acquiring the help of the Haes now more than ever was vital. So had to lay down his cards carefully. “We are here on behalf of King Hyejong.”

This little piece of information had its desired effect: everyone gasped, temporarily breaking the tense silence. Apart from Baek Ah and General Park, no one else in this room had known that the king was still alive and dictating those who have remained loyal to him.

“Hyung-nim,” Jung turned to So, utterly shocked and bewildered, “what do you mean? Did our first brother leave behind some instructions before he died?”

So gauged Hanjae’s reaction. He was as surprised as everyone else but tried not to show it. “Our first brother is alive and well. He is fighting to regain his throne and we have been helping him.”

“Yes!” Eun exclaimed, jumping to his feet. “Then does that mean… Jeongjong’s reign of terror might end soon?”

The answer would depend… depend on this man’s cooperation. Hae Hanjae leaned casually back in his seat and clasped his hands together. “This is interesting news,” he remarked so casually you’d think he was talking about the weather, “but what does it have to do with us?”

“Lord Hae Hanjae, if you help us fulfill our mission, I will make sure you are justly rewarded,” So replied, himself leaning forward. He had no guarantees to give, but Hanjae needn’t know that. If this game was a battle of wits, So would match him. He had a goal to reach and he intended to get there, one way or another.

Hanjae tutted. “My dear prince, King Hyejong does not trust my clan and I must say the feeling is mutual.”

“Then you would rather place your trust in Jeongjong? How can you trust him after what he did to you?” Baek Ah rasped.

“I trust neither,” Hanjae spread his palms wide open. “My clan has no use for such weak kings.”

So narrowed his eyes. “If you trusted your daughter’s husband, we wouldn’t be having this conversation,” he observed out loud, “you’re listening because you don’t want Wook on the throne any more than you want Hyejong or Jeongjong."

The tension returned after this statement. Too many things were happening… Hyejong secretly undermining Jeongjong, who was working with a brother who wished to unseat him. And yet the Haes supported neither man. Could there be a fourth contender for the throne?

Soo knew the answer to that: Yes. And he’s sitting in this very room.

Soo saw what So had done. It wasn’t a question. So had said his piece; the ball was in Hanjae’s court to do with it whatever he willed. What will you say now, old man?

They waited for Hanjae to make his move. When he did speak again, Soo saw it was with a genuine smile on his face - the first she has seen that didn’t look lazy or bored. It wasn’t a pleasant smile… it didn’t convey mirth, only pleasure at having found someone able to match his game.

“You are quite right. I have no use for a son-in-law I cannot trust any more than I have use for a barren daughter,” he said at last, sitting upright, boredom gone. “What use is it to me to have a daughter as queen when she is unable to produce the next line of kings?”

Soo was shocked by how casually he said it. She glared at him, wanting to hit him upside the head for being so callous, but she caught sight of Myunghee shaking her head from his other side, and clenched her teeth in anger. Soo understood the implication… despite years of marriage, Myunghee was unable to provide her clan and her husband with any heirs… but Soo… Soo was perfectly free to try and succeed where her cousin could not.

She knew what was coming next… she dreaded it. She could feel herself shaking as she sat back down and gripped her seat so tightly that her knuckles hurt. I’m not supposed to be here. At this rate, I might never get to return home.

“The sons of Taejo are indeed fine men,” Hanjae remarked, eyeing each one carefully. “Your reputations precede you. Thirteenth Prince Wang Baek Ah of the fallen Silla dynasty - fair, loyal, celebrated scholar and renowned artist. Tenth Prince Wang Eun, beloved grandson of the late Wang Gyu, married to the daughter of Goryeo’s most powerful general…” He turned his gaze upwards, to where Jung stood. “Fourteenth Prince Wang Jung, youngest and most beloved son of the Chungju Yoos… a military man. Tell me, where do your loyalties lie, young prince? Is it with your brothers here, or your brothers at the capital?”

Jung clenched his fist. “With family.”

“Ah,” Hanjae nodded, as though such a vague answer had satisfied him. “As long as everyone is safe and happy, is that so?”

“I do not want to see any more bloodshed. I wish for things to return to the way they were before father’s death,” he responded.

“Naive,” Hanjae remarked lightly, making Jung glower at him, “but you are young and passionate and have the world at your feet. To have the throne, certain things need to be done, certain - ah, sacrifices are required.”

Soo noted that all of her friends were surprised by the turn of the conversation, all except Prince So, who was looking at her strangely, and Prince Baek Ah who was glaring at her uncle, who casually asked, “And what are you willing to throw away, young prince? What are you willing to sacrifice for the sake of… ‘family’?”

Jung looked unsure of himself for a moment, but then he steeled his nerves and replied softly, “Anything.”

“Anything.”

Jung spoke louder, clearer, “Anything.”

“Even the freedom to choose your own path in life?”

Jung nodded. “Whatever it takes.”

“Do you swear it?” Hanjae’s lips curled up in an unpleasant smile. “I am a businessman, Prince Jung, I want guarantees; I expect my investments to yield fruitful results. Swear to me now, on your honor as a son of our Great Founder.”

Again, Jung seemed to waver. Soo was not surprised… he may not know what her uncle had in mind - yet - but he was young and being forced into a tight corner by a man he wasn’t even sure he could trust. But his courage and determination won out. “I swear it.”

“Then there is little left to discuss,” Hanjae said, turning finally to Prince So. “I will pledge my clan’s support, resources and loyalty to your cause… on one condition.”

So knew what it was. Judging by the look on Soo’s face, it was obvious she knew it too. “Name it and it’s yours.”

Soo closed her eyes and clenched her teeth.

Hanjae emptied his teacup, raised his voice so his words carried outside the room to his waiting subjects, “The Hae clan acknowledges the Fourth Prince of Goryeo, son of the Chungju Yoos and Shinju Kangs, commander of the army of Grand General Park Sookyung. The Haes…”

Soo’s eyes snapped open and she found herself staring across the table into So’s equally surprised ones. But of course… you are Gwangjong, the fourth king to rule after Jeongjong.

All the pieces finally fit.

Images of dead men, mutilated bodies, massacred families flashed through her mind. I cannot. We cannot. I cannot be responsible for their deaths.

“...propose marriage to Imperial Fourth Prince, Wang So.”

This cannot be happening.

So was the first to recover from the shock. Everyone else seemed frozen by such a sudden proclamation. Scowling, he said, “You must be out of your mind, old man, if you think I can become king with my reputation.”

“Your brother who sits on the throne is making quite a reputation for himself. I daresay, his madness far exceeds your own in the eyes of the many.”

So bared his teeth in anger. “I have no desire to become king.” Was this a ruse? Another way to set brother against brother?

“Far though we may be, my clan remains cognizant of the happenings in the capital… of the rumors surrounding you , in particular.”

“I imagine there are a great many rumors circulating about me. Of which do you refer?” So snapped.

“That among all of Taejo’s fine sons, only two were born with stars of kings: his first born, Wang Mu, and, of course, you. The usurper Jeongjong will not last long because he was never meant to rule. He interfered with destiny by taking from Hyejong what was rightfully his. But you, on the other hand, a man of two families, widely acknowledged to be the best fighter in the kingdom, cunning, intelligent, and already with such powerful, loyal subjects surrounding you," Hanjae eyed them all before looking back at So. “With destiny on your side, what can stop you?”

“A man of two families?” So scoffed. “The Yoos abandoned me to the Kangs who mistreated me. I am a son to neither.”

“Ah, but without an heir, the Kangs of Shinju are certain to fall. The only question is when? Wealth can only buy so much, after all. But you, who lived with them, you know their weaknesses. You know how to control them. Be their son again. With the Kangs on your side, your influence increases greatly.

“As for your mother’s family,” Hanjae looked at Jung and smiled, “her heir has just sworn his loyalty. All he asks is you do not murder his family - an easy enough request once they become your greatest supporters.”

“I came here to aid my first brother. That is my mission. My goal is to see him back on the throne and I will not be deterred from it.” So spoke in a low voice but he looked angrier than Soo had ever seen him. In that moment, she saw clearly why people feared him.

“And to do that, you need our help,” Hanjae said matter-of-factly. “I do not mean to stop you from helping your… king. But tell me, how much longer do you think Hyejong can last? Oh, yes, Your Highness. I and a great many people know of the illness that plagues His Majesty. You cannot hope to keep it secret once his health starts to deteriorate.”

“Careful,” So growled, stiffening, “your words are treasonous.”

“It is treason enough that I have allowed you to remain alive for so long within my household. As Jeongjong is currently in power, my threat has much more merit than yours. Shall we find out who gets the honor of being executed first?”

For once, So had nothing to say. He had just been beaten at this man’s well-thought out game. He could see now that this had been Hae Hanjae’s plan all along… he had never intended to return Myunghee to Wook; never intended to surrender them all to the crown. He wanted to align and play his cards to his favor before getting what he wanted. They all walked right into his plans.

“Nightfall. I give you until that time to make your choice,” Hanjae said, getting up suddenly. “Choose well, young prince. We would not want any… accidents to happen.”

So understood the threat. Hanjae did not want Wook on the throne for the simple fact that he and Myunghee were childless. But that could be changed. So looked at Soo’s frightened, miserable expression. Very easily changed.

The master of the house rang his bell once and his small manservant came in. “See to it that Soo and Myunghee make it back to their rooms after lunch. As for our esteemed guests,” he smiled without humor, “tell the kitchen master to prepare his finest.”

“Yes, master.”

He turned and left, and Soo and Myunghee, not knowing what to say, could only stand and follow as they were led out, flanked by guards.

He effectively used us as bait to lure you here, then he used us as bargaining tools to get what he wanted… and now he’s using me as insurance to make sure his conditions remain that way.

How has it come to this?

“I'm sorry,” Myunghee rushed to say the moment they were outside, “I'm so sorry, Soo-yah.”

“It's not your fault. You don't have to be sorry,” Soo tried for a smile, but was unable to maintain it for longer than a few seconds. “I can't believe he would say that about you.”

Myunghee brushed his remark aside. “That doesn’t matter right now. You realize what my father is doing? Our uncle has daughters of his own, but despite that, they’re offering you to the fourth prince. They expect him to take the throne after Jeongjong, and if he does, you’ll be honored as his first queen, and you’ll have the entire clan backing you, but…” Now she looked really worried, “our family is a family of businessmen. They take into consideration everything, including the possibility of failure. On the off-chance their mission fails and the prince is captured, you will be executed along with him. You are an orphan. It will be easy for the clan to disown you. They are using you as their scapegoat, someone they can dispense with to avoid retaliation from the crown should the need arise. Soo-yah-”

“I understand,” Soo said, feeling sick to the stomach. Could the fourth prince fail? He had already been recorded in history as the fourth king… but she was pretty sure there was nothing there about him having a Hae for a wife. On the contrary, the only woman he’s supposed to have children with is his half-sister, the woman who would one day be called Queen Daemok. Have I changed history by coming here? What world awaits me in the future when I return? If I return… “I understand, unnie,” she repeated, trying to sound braver than she felt. “I guess… for all our sakes… we’ll just have to make sure he succeeds.”

I’m alive. The future must not have changed. Will I even be able to tell if it has?

“Hyung-nim… does that mean… you and Soo-yah…?” Eun and everyone else gaped at So, who was feeling annoyed, but also a tad relieved.

"That old goat thought of everything,” he said, tapping his fingers on the table, thinking. “He knew what he wanted and how to get it. The bad news is, we’re now at his mercy. The good news is, with his clan’s help, we can be sure of our mission’s success.”

“But… if our third brother loses the throne… will you be the one to claim it?” Jung asked.

“No,” So replied firmly, looking around at all of them. “The throne will be returned to our first brother, the rightful king. It was father’s dying wish and it is the right thing to do. The Haes can place their trust in destiny, but I believe in what I can see, feel, touch. There is no way the people will accept me as their king, and no reason why they should.”

“Why not?” Baek Ah whispered. “You have as much right to be king as any of us.”

Not with this face. “No, I don’t,” he said shortly. Without another word, he got up and left the room. The guards made no move to stop him.

 

 

 

 

 

It was nightfall when they all met again. Soo and Myunghee entered behind Hanjae, the former looking worse for wear after spending the rest of the afternoon crying in her room - alone, confused, and scared beyond her wits.

“Have we reached a consensus?” Hanjae asked politely, taking a seat.

So avoided Soo and Myunghee’s eyes. “We accept your terms.”

“Excellent,” Hanjae said jovially, not once doubting that they would. “It has been some hours since our last meal and my kitchens have prepared their best for such special guests. Tomorrow, we agree on the time and date. Soo-yah, my dear, have a seat." Soo couldn’t help but notice that he had gestured to the seat Myunghee used to take. In his eyes, she has already become more important than his own daughter.

“On the condition that this marriage be kept secret,” So added. The room grew very quiet.

“Of course,” Hanjae bowed his head in acceptance. “No reason to draw such unwanted, unnecessary attention.”

“Everyone in this room, and your clan shall be the only ones to know. Any visitors who come, any business associates… they remain ignorant. Most of all… King Hyejong.”

Hanjae bowed his head again. “As you wish. But it will be a marriage, in every way that matters.”

Soo knew what that meant and couldn’t help blurting out, “But if it’s to remain a secret, then… then…” she glanced awkwardly at So, but when she met his eyes, she blushed and lowered her voice so that only her uncle could hear, “then children should be out of the question too? At least… for now…?”

To her great embarrassment, her uncle laughed heartily, as though he found her concerns genuinely entertaining. “My dear, there are ways of consummating without risking conception. You may ask your cousin for advice. It seems she has mastered the art of it.”

Soo blushed deeply, embarrassed that he had spoken so loudly, but also enraged at the slight against Myunghee.

Before she can come up with a retort to match her raised hand, So said, “Then we have an agreement.”