Chemistry

Crescendity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
The image bothered Seulyi as she laid awake in bed at night. She may be slow at times, and others may only know her for her dirty mouth, but she was always the sharpest one to assess a situation. Especially when it came to the matters of her crush, she couldn’t help but over analyze everything. There was no doubt about it. She saw the gaze with which Myungsoo looked at her friend, the occasional glances when his eyes darted to her direction, the smile of amazement when she said something inspiring, and even the curl of his lips when she laughed.   Seulyi considered Rika her biggest rival ever since she noticed Rika’s closeness to Myungsoo—no one made the observation other than herself. Despite liking the same guy, they never declared a fight, mainly because Rika was oblivious to Seulyi’s feelings, she thought.   Seulyi closed her eyes, wishing the darkness of the night could swallow along her feelings. It hurt, knowing Myungsoo’s genuine expressions were never meant for her to see.   However, a sudden curiosity began to brew in her. Because Myungsoo liked her friend didn't mean the feeling was mutual. So when she saw her friend the next morning, she did not beat around the bush and posed the question as blunt as it was.   “Do you like someone?”   Hyunmi blinked, her face surprised but stoic enough not to give away any emotion. There was a short second of delay, which Seulyi could only assume was the birth of a possible lie.   “No,” the older girl answered, taking a sip from her drink. “Does it look like I like someone?”   “I don’t know,” Seulyi replied, seating herself at their table during lunch hour. She had no idea whether the answer satisfied her or not, sensing there was something else hidden. Seeing the way Mira looked up from her vanilla latte as if she knew something was up, alerted Seulyi instantly. So she threw her second question instead.   “How can I get close to a guy?”   “Befriend them?” Mira asked unsurely, not wanting to remember how she and Mark started out. And in Minhyuk’s case, well, she couldn’t tell Seulyi to randomly grab a guy and kiss him on the lips.   “Befriend his friends,” Hyunmi added. “The ones who can influence his opinion would be his friends. If they talk you up, you’ll have a higher chance.”   Seulyi nodded her head, jotting down mental notes. She usually saw Myungsoo hang out with Rika and Jangjun—who were both risky choices—but his roommate Woohyun was a potential candidate.   “Hey,” a voice suddenly greeted. One which Seulyi knew all too well. It was Myungsoo.   But when she looked up, she noticed Myungsoo standing on the other side of the table, taking the empty space next to her friend instead of the one beside herself. Maybe Myungsoo happened to come from that direction, or maybe Seulyi stood no chance to begin with.   “Hey,” Mira and Hyunmi both greeted with ease. Of course, they never liked him enough to stutter like a flapping fish on land. Seulyi didn’t notice she hadn’t even greeted him back, only sporting a frown which others called her mean ice princess look.   “Hey Seulyi,” Myungsoo decided to specifically greet her.   At once, all of her uneasiness washed away, filling her with a fluttering sensation. “H-hi,” she still stuttered.   “So, what time is the guitar lesson with Jaehwan?” Myungsoo asked, and it was clear to whom the question was directed at.   “Is this the one Minhyuk joined?” Mira asked, not knowing why her pretend boyfriend even wanted to join. When he had told her of his intention to fit in with the others, she said okay. Guys who could play piano were more impressive, but she didn’t see the need to tell him that.   “Yeah, about that,” Hyunmi began, flashing him a sheepish grin filled with guilt. “Turns out I can’t join you guys.”   “What? Why?”   Seulyi saw the look of dejection flicker through Myungsoo’s eyes. His smile fell, though he tried hard to remain calm despite his disappointment.   “Woohyun asked for my help as well, and he said he learns better one on one. With my busy schedule, I can only join either one, so...” Hyunmi shrugged, knowing they could finish the rest of her thoughts.   “One on one? So it will be the two of you?” Mira asked, wanting to be on the interrogating end for once. She took a sip of her coffee, staring her roommate down for some explanation.   But Hyunmi took on the role of the interrogator too often to produce a faux pas. “Yes,” she simply said, too casual, too rehearsed, too prepared.   “Huh, funny you easily agreed to this considering you have a picture of you and Woohyun on your desk. Mind telling us what that’s about?” Mira calmly said, folding her fingers together, narrowing her eyes at the other.   “A picture together? On the desk?” Seulyi asked, unable to contain her excitement. If Hyunmi liked someone else, wouldn’t Myungsoo automatically give up? What a wretched thought it was. An immense guilt washed over her instantly, but she still hoped it was true.   “Myungsoo gave it to me. It’s a visual reminder of how I beat Woohyun and got him to join the club,” Hyunmi proudly answered, not seeing Myungsoo’s surprise.   “He joined because you cried,” Seulyi corrected.   “Is that what he told you all?” Myungsoo asked.   The three girls turned to him with surprise, unable to think of any other possible reason.   “Is it not?” Mira asked.   “That’s not for me to answer,” Myungsoo said, casually taking a bite of today’s menu, grilled pork chops, but substituted with chicken just because.   Seulyi continued observing in silence, watching the glow leave Myungsoo’s face when Hyunmi left. All signs seemed to point towards her theory. What had happened between them? Why did he even like her? But mainly, what should she do now?     Heejin stood in front of her locker, folding her arms as if she were studying an abstract painting at an art exhibition.   “Hey!” Minseok suddenly appeared next to her, laughing when the girl flinched in surprise. “What’s so interesting about your locker?”   Heejin gulped, realizing his head was a little too close to her, just a few inches away from leaning against her shoulders. The scent of lavender entered her nose, so delicate and soft as the person himself was. She panicked a little without knowing why, trying to keep her smile.   “The note is back,” she simply uttered, pointing at the small pink colored post-it note on her locker.   Dear Heejin,   Through my soul you pour.
Like a cool breeze that soothes.   Minseok’s smile fell, his gaze intensely fixed on the note. “Seems your secret admirer strikes again,” he said dully.   “Are you sure you’re not playing a prank on me?” Heejin asked, smiling to herself as she opened the locker she had temporarily used to store her harp in. The dorm room wasn’t actually that far, but going back and forth to take her instrument wasn’t worth the distance.   “I’m not a poet. Even if I were, I wouldn’t write it as a prank,” Minseok said, watching as she tried putting the big black harp case over her shoulder. The move seemed too clumsy when she tried balancing her books in her other hand, almost bumping her head against the locker door. So he used his strength, picking the harp case from her with ease before any accidents would ensue.   Heejin elicited a small gasp, watching him carefully fling it around his shoulder.   “You shouldn’t carry heavy things or you won’t be able to grow anymore,” Minseok said with a teasing tone.   She laughed, taking the sticky note from her locker, slipping it inside her notebook among the other notes she received. “I am way passed the growing stage. I already ate too much broccoli. Besides, it’s not like you’re that tall either.”   He laughed, knowing she was right. The top of her head measured just below his eyes, and his hand could easily reach hers. People would probably look at them and see a couple.   “So, have you thought about the Moonbucks job?” She asked, her tone quieter, almost hesitant.   “I’m thinking of doing it. Why? Can’t wait for free coffee I’ll treat you with?” Minseok asked, laughing when she playfully hit his arms. He had come to love it everytime she did that. Her attempts to stop him were adorable.   “Well, I was thinking since you’re a member of the choir and soccer club, you’d be extremely busy. So I hope you won’t overwork yourself if you get the barista gig,” Heejin said, trying her best to deliver her opinion without going off topic.   “Aw, are you that concerned about me?” Minseok asked, playfully patting her head. But then he realized it was the first time he had actually initiated skin contact with her, and her face seemed to redden a little. So Minseok quickly retracted his arm, stiffly hanging it by his side. “I-I thought you wanted free coffee.”   “But I’d rather just go there together with you during your free time instead of having to meet you during your work shift,” Heejin said, perhaps confessing a little too much. When she noted the way he looked at her with big eyes of surprise, she realized she had definitely said too much. Oh, why couldn’t stop talking when it needed to? Why did it even matter how or when she’d be able to spend time with him? Why did her heart suddenly flutter at the thought?   In the midst of her dilemma, she did not realize a guy marching forwards from the opposing side, colliding his shoulder against her as he walked. The move was strong enough to scatter the books from his hand unto the floor.   “Oh my gosh, I’m sorry,” Heejin immediately apologized. Being the angel she was, Heejin bent down, reaching up to his notebook that had fallen open to a page. Her eyes widened, and before she could properly assess why, the guy had taken the book from her hand.   “Sorry,” he muttered, his voice trembling a little as if he was the one at fault. He scurried his things together and fled the scene before Heejin could get a proper look at his face, but she had seen the writings in his notebook. She was certain of it.   It was the same handwriting as the notes.     When Hyunmi stepped into the music room, she did not expect Woohyun sitting on the piano chair, a guitar ready on his lap. His punctuality impressed her, but his effort to try and play amused her.   “That’s not a proper chord,” she said, neatly placing her bag on an empty seat opposite of him. She watched his fingers set on random tabs, almost feeling guilty for snickering a small laugh.   Woohyun narrowed his eyes. “Are you showing off?”   “I can leave if you don’t like it,” she threatened back, not expecting him to suddenly grab her wrist in response. The foreign touch made her heart jump instantly.   “I never said I was against it.” He didn’t let go until she was properly seated.   Hyunmi avoided his gaze, not giving him the liberty of seeing her flustered expression, especially if she may have blushed against her will. “S-Since my time is limited, I’ll teach you the basic chords first. All you need to know are the C, G, D, and Em chords for now.”   Woohyun stared blankly at her, knowing the name and sound of each chord, but having no idea how to translate it on the guitar. He waited for her guidance.   Honestly, Hyunmi wasn’t even sure how to go about this lesson without initiating a lot of skin contact. She stared at the strings from an opposite direction, her skills too lacking to mirror everything in her head. “I need to be on that side of the guitar to show you the chords.”   A normal person’s reaction would be to hand the guitar over, but Woohyun scooped over on the small piano bench, cocking his head to the empty space beside him.   Hyunmi knew the lesson was more productive if she obeyed. She cleared , trying to maintain her cool as she crammed on the small seat. Their arms pressed against each other, his warmth a little too comforting. She wanted to hit herself for delighting in the musky sweetness of his cologne as well.   “I hope you’re a fast learner, cause I’m only gonna show everything once,” Hyunmi said. It wasn’t that she was impatient, but as an individual who liked having everything under control, the inability to control her heart’s fast paced rhythm was unsettling.   “That won’t be a problem,” he declared, a smug grin flashing across his face for a brief mome
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter