Chapter 8

Pretty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 

December 21st, 2018
 

I stared into the fire burning by the fireplace.

Although there was a pocket book flipped open on my folded lap, I found myself focusing my gaze to it. It crackled, then hissed to life. It was hynotic  — so calming that I eventually found myself falling asleep at midst of Frank Sinatra softly playing in the background. But just when I was about to slip into complete slumber, my roommate came running in.

The sound of her boots crunched through the powdered snow she had brought in by the threshold and I could hear her curse under her cool breath. I ultimately shot up, scrambling around to prevent my book from toppling off the hardwood floors.

"Ara!" Wendy chucked her bag on the floor right next to the shoe rack before running up to me, latching two hands on my shoulders, shaking me awake. "Didn't you receive my message? I told you to change!" She said in a harsh whisper, hastily hauling me back up on my feet before dragging me back into my room. At midst of her constant nagging and my yawning episode, I eventually had to seize the clothes she had snatched off my closet. I wrinkled my nose in slight annoyance, bending down so I could pick up the olive green turtleneck that have fallen on the floor. "I'm not letting you rot here when it's almost Christmas Eve so you're going out with Irene and I and then — "

"You can just take my car," I rubbed the sleep off my eyes, sighing. "Just don't crash it." 

I seriously wanted to stay home tonight but then again, I promised I'd go out with her and Irene to hang out on a friday night since that will be the only time where we can spend some time together without worrying about university and work so really, I can't back out. A promise is a promise.

"I'm not driving that. I'm only a novice!" She grabbed the clothes from my hands, and then grimaced at the clothes I currently have on. "Really, Ara? would that little bear on your sweater sing Jingle Bells if I pressed the button?" She raised a brow, shoving a finger onto the damn button located by the hem of this Christmas sweater I haven't thrown out yet. I was going to donate it to the thrift shop a couple of blocks away downtown but I somehow found myself still putting it on. Maybe because it was comfy despite the fact that it's a little bit worn-out.

"It's brokeeeen." I swiftly pulled my clothes from her reach, preventing her from forcibly changing my clothes for me. "Where are we even going? the mall? but it's so packed at this time of the night." I complained as the last bits of my words were muffled by the thick fabric I put on over my head. "You know I hate crowded places. Makes me want to throw up."

"You didn't complain when we were being squeezed by smelly jocks during the ball tournament in uni so you don't have a valid excuse to cancel girls night! and besides, you'll get to cruise your Audi for awhile. It's been rotting there for like," She paused, spinning me around so she could appreciate my top. She smiled, giving me a thumbs up before letting me change into my jeans. "I don't know, centuries?"

"I just don't want anyone scratching the car. Can't afford to book maintenance when I barely have free time." I padded infront of the full mirror with a smiley Wendy in tow. 

"Well, you didn't lie." She shrugged her, quickly putting my hair up into a high ponytail. "We can't trust anyone these days. Your car needs its own garage, not a parking spot on a sidewalk — Wait, is that a tattoo on the back of your neck?" She gawked, pinching the skin where that tattoo had been placed. I winced."How come you never told me you had one? I've never even seen this! Oh wow, oh wow! just when I thought you weren't the kind of person who would get a tattoo. What does your tattoo even mean?"

"Nothing, actually. Just a tiny anchor. It was the first thing that came to mind when I was at the tattoo shop, tipsy right after midterms. The price was lowered down too, and the tattoist was sweet." I moved along my room, looking for my bag and my car keys. My soul fought so hard to stay in but I had to drag myself out. 

"I should get one! Been planning since first year of uni but I never had the chance to actually talk to you about it but turns out you already have one."

"Uh, huh."

Wendy and I padded through the dim-lit hallway, hands stuffed into the pockets of our winter jackets. She did ask more information about the tattoo and all  — specifically the pain. I said it was a 7.5/10 for me (well, in all honesty it did hurt so bad) and then we ultimately agreed to get one with Irene, but that is if Irene actually approves of getting one since as far as I know she has low-pain tolerance and it might be tricky to get her to do it with us.

Nonetheless, it was all up to them, and getting a second one wouldn't hurt, and it's not like we're planning to get a huge piece because if I ever had to subject myself to getting something a lot bigger then I'd probably regret it.

"Hey guys!" Irene yanked the backseat door open, shoving herself in whilst giggling. "We have to head downtown first. Boutiques are having a hugeeeeee sale and I can't really afford to miss such thing." She piped up, strapping herself on. "And wow Ara, you finally decided to drive this pretty thing in such a busy night. What has gotten into you? Did the Christmas spirit change your mind somehow?"

"I just didn't want us to end up riding the bus on the way back home so I brought it along."

In dual course, we were back on the busy road, blending along with a bunch of cars heading to a variety of places to shop for Christmas gifts, attend early Christmas parties and such. Snow wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, well, for now but once January comes by it'll be a little colder and I'll have to rely on a shovel and be less functional in multiple layers of thick clothes. Wendy tuned in for some Bing Crosby, humming along the tune of Christmas classics. Upon hearing such soft, jazzy tune, I sort of wished I slept in at this time of the night but I guess going out to enjoy life and have fun other than rotting in university and at work wouldn't hurt. I barely spent time with the girls anyway since they were often busy on their own, and I mostly wandered around whenever I had the time in between my lectures.

I figured I needed time for myself, and it's mostly for self-healing and definitely self-love.

Hawk-eyed Wendy managed to find us a parking lot somewhere decent since the sidewalks were already filled as well as the common parking lot I came to know about. Mostly ventured on the bus so I hadn't known much. Unlike Wendy, she had the whole map of downtown encrypted in her head. She was like an eccentric tour guide. She even has her crazy, dark blue hair to match her behaviour and mannerism.

We later found ourselves in Bijou at Broadway for scented candles, then another store for cosmetics. I was never fond of high-end cosmetics, just the basic drug store ones so I eventually had to part ways with the girls so I could get some coffee, then come back to the same shop or whenever they'll be in after a moment. I had to get coffee since sleep was still tuning into my brain, and I still have to drop off Irene and then drive back home so I can't be sleeping behind the wheel when none of them are even willing to drive a car.

As usual, blowing cold and the oddly-satisfying crunching of snow under my boots resonated around the winter night in New York.

Small crowds of people trudged back and forth with shopping bags in both hands. Kids ran around with candy treats, Santa hats and deer antlers. Christmas carols were heard every where from speakers to bands singing, and the horse carriages began moving, scooping families from time to time for a Christmas tour around Times square. 

I sighed, making my way to Second cup. On my way in, I felt my phone vibrate inside my pocket. 

"Ara!" Wendy giggled under her breath. I could hear male voices on the background. I raised a brow. "Guess who's with us!" 

A minute passed and I cringed at the thought when I recognized someone's voice on the phone. Oh, please don't tell me..."Luhan and Yixing?" I scoffed, rolling my eyes in dismay when Wendy made Luhan say "hello" on the line. I was going to end the call if any of them  — specifically Luhan, was going to try to engage a normal conversation with me after he almost crashed my Audi with his ing sports car three days ago at work. I was going to snap but I hadn't because the moment he said hello, Wendy had already snatched the phone away from him.

I scowled. "What are the odds..." I took two steps forward as the line to the counter decreased slowly. People bustled around the cafe, mostly couples or solos with cups of coffee and baked pastries in hand. "I'm staying in the cafe until they leave. I don't want to see Luhan's stupid face." 

"Oh, please. He didn't mean to do what he did at work..." Wendy sighed, cupping a hand close to the mouth piece. I fought the urge to stomp my foot on the floor whilst looking straight ahead of me, somewhat boring my gaze to the back of this guy's orange bonnet.

"Didn't mean to do that? he literally was going to ram it against my door."

"Well, it's because he probably likes you." Wendy grinned. I'm gonna throw up. "I know him... Always acts so rash around girls he likes — but you know, I wouldn't even let him date you. You need someone decent and older! Luhan is just a mess, a hot mess."  She nagged. I could hear Luhan talking to Yixing about something so Wendy had to move away, and then there was laughter. "Anyways, are you still in line? we're going to Rockefeller's after but first we have to go at this toy store next door. Irene is looking for a gift for her baby brother."

"Yeah, and okay I see." Three steps forward, and one more. I blinked, tilting my head to the side as I scanned the menu. "I'll just meet you guys at Rockefeller's then? but are they coming along? the guys?" 

"I don't know. Actually, wait let me ask! Hey Luhan," I chewed my bottom lip as my eyebrows furrowed. They better not come or I'll end up arguing with Luhan again. That jerk has been abusing my kindness lately, and he's taking it for granted so I'd rather not see them at Rockefeller's and allow them to destroy the Christmas spirit.  

"He said they're not. They're going somewhere else after." I heaved, mentally doing the sign of the cross.

"You have no idea how happy I am right now." Wendy chuckled, and then hissed because apparently, Luhan slapped her hand as a joke. "I don't even want to breathe the same air as him in all honesty. Can't keep his hands to himself."

"Right. I'm sorry you have to deal with him at work!" 

"It's fine. It's not like he bothers me all time since he works at a different section. Only when he's had his chance which is...sparse, and because of that I'm forever thankful." I approached the counter and ordered a large Americano. Moments later I found myself tucking my wallet back into my bag before I made my way to one of the round tables by the darkest corner I could find. "Just call me once you guys are at Rockefeller's." 

"Alright! See you there!"

Within twenty-five minutes, I stood up from my table, coffee still in hand. Wendy informed that they're heading down to Rockefeller's with the two guys in tow since apparently, they parked nearby same destination after attending a mass at St. Patrick's.

Slighty feeling moody, I began to walk, main attention fixed to my bag when I bumped shoulders with a customer. I didn't even had the time to look up so I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter