CHAPTER 1 - GWEN

The Lahling Chronicles: A Parallel Universe
Please log in to read the full chapter

She stood in front of the coffee vending machine, after having handed in her last thesis into the box. It’s 1.31am and the campus was unusually busy with students cramming for final exams and handing in assignments. Gwen was in her final semester and her last course work was to hand in a proposal to the dean of the school. She contemplates which the coffee mix a little longer than usual, when a stranger in a black hoodie, smelling of something sweet, possibly gummy jellies? She couldn’t make out that sweet-smelling scent.

Gwen doesn’t turn around; she is triggered. She makes her decision and selects Hot Chocolate on the vending machine. She smiles, almost too excited, as she inserts her money and the machine mixes her drink. She steals a glance over her shoulder at Sweet-smelling guy, when she realizes it’s the dancer she’s been ing at everytime she walked past the Theater and Dance class. She does an internal squeal, as she takes her cup out of the machine.

“Hot Chocolate at 1am?” Sweet-dancer guy asks., flashing the smile that could kill a million hearts.

She smiles back at him and notices him packing a bag of gummy bears into his pocket. “Gummy Bears at 1am?” she points at his pocket.

He smiles and bites his lower lip. “You noticed huh?” He extends his right hand. “Just handed in my assignment.” He points towards the assignment drop box.

Why is my heart beating so fast? She screamed in her head.

“Oh… ok…” She could not get the words out. “Erm… right….” As she walks away with her drink in hand, cussin’ to herself for choosing chocolate instead of coffee.

“Where are you going? I’m not done buying.” He slots in his money and the machine whizzes.

“Huh? What….?” she stops in her tracks and turns around.

“Wait up…” he jogs to walk beside her. “Gwen, right? I’ve seen you around my class.”

Damnit, I’m now a stalker, she closes her eyes and yells at herself. “Really? Oh right…” Gwen walks away. How the hell does he know my name?

“Hold up… where are you going?”

She stops again. “Yes?” Oh my god, I must not let him know I’m totally crushin’ on him right now. Must. Walk. Away. She tells herself but her feet wont move.

“Stop. Don’t move.” He puts his hand on her shoulder. “Why do you keep walking away? I’m tryna introduce myself here. It’s almost 2am. How’re you going home?”

She’s speechless. She’s in between shy, confused and gobsmacked. “Someone’s waiting for me outside.” Was all she could say. She continued walking but not without turning around saying “You smell of Gummy Bears.” Gwen smiles, lifts her cup of Hot Chocolate and heads for the car.

* * * * *

Daniel bites his bottom lip, it and smiles almost too happy w

Please log in to read the full chapter