CHAPTER 11 - AMANDA

The Lahling Chronicles: A Parallel Universe
Please log in to read the full chapter

After receiving a text from Gwen in the middle of the night begging for ‘an empty apartment’, she got the hint. Gwen was just across the hall in her room and she was in hers but she found it strangely funny that they had to text each other even though they were in the same house.

She’d been contemplating all day on what to do with him. She’d successfully avoid him this long. She wasn’t really sure what she was doing really. The first week fooling around with him was great, until he wanted to have ‘the talk’. That was when Amanda started to pull away. She hadn’t had much luck in the ‘love’ department; She’d been scarred one too many times by men who claim to have devoted their lives to her.

With Yunho, her first love, Amanda genuinely ‘thought’ that he was The One. They met briefly while they did short gigs for events in high school (Amanda was part of a singing trio), bumping into each other occasionally during events and eventually taking their relationship openly. Amanda’s parents were very supportive of Amanda’s life choices and were rooting for her relationship with Yunho to flourish. Gwen and JaeBeom, who also knew Yunho, from their childhood days, were acquainted with him but they had told her that settling down too soon was not a wise decision. Gwen regretted having spoken her mind with Amanda, because soon after they called it quits. He dropped a bomb on her about having to leave for Japan, after receiving a record deal there.

I would’ve followed him if only he had asked.

All he had to do was ask. Sigh.

Then Yuchun came in to fill the void. She was still vulnerable then, still raw from being jilted for fame and fortune; Amanda was desperate to be loved. Though JaeBeom would occasionally comfort her by taking her out for ice cream and a walk, she didn’t feel like her relationship with him would go anywhere. He was warm and easy to talk to and so familiar with her it freaked her out.

He was like a brother, damnit. Why world, why?

Yuchun was different. He was very forward about his intentions with her. Having lived abroad most of his childhood, he was no stranger to the western approach of leaping into the breach when it came to dating and love. He and Yunho were bandmates. When Yunho announced that he was leaving for Japan, the band members were upset and immediately disbanded. Yuchun, saw his opportunity with Amanda, witnessing the nasty break-up between her and Yunho, he swept in and bit the bullet.

The relationship was once again short-lived as Yuchun’s wealthy family started intervening. Things got ugly when Amanda received an envelope with a ridiculous amount of money, promising to cover her entire 4 year university fees, if she had agreed to leave Yuchun and start a new life. She had taken a long time to come to her senses; after unsuccessfully applying for scholarships, she finally decides to take a leap of faith and leave Yuchun. Their relationship was not fiery, not passionate enough to be kept alive. Yuchun was not Yunho, she told herself. What seemed like a cross-road before now became a straight road. So Amanda fibs a story to her parents, claiming that one of her scholarship applications came through and her four-year course and living expenses was now fully paid for.

And now I’m here… another man on my heels and graduation beckons. My life couldn’t get any better…

She stares up at her ceiling, reminiscing all her life choices and decisions she’d made to get where she was. She turns to face her dresser and sees the digital clock illuminating in the dark ’01:02’ it read. She sits up and pulls the covers over her knees. She scrolls through her phone and pulls up a number and starts texting.

Amanda

:

Knock knock. Anyone home?

Kim Nam Joon

:

Well well… look who crawled out of her grave

Amanda

:

I come in peace

Kim Nam Joon

:

I don’t see a white flag

Amanda

:

*insert white flag emoticon*

Kim Nam Joon

:

Does the flag come with a person?

Amanda

:

Shut it already. I have something to say.

Kim Nam Joon

:

Do I get a say, at least?

Amanda

:

For s sake, are you gonna listen or not?

Kim Nam Joon

:

Doesn’t seem like I have a choice now do I?

Amanda

:

I have an offer to make.

Kim Nam Joon

:

I’m all ears

Amanda smiles contentedly and takes a deep breath. She’s about to open her heart once again to a guy she barely knew. She needed to break that barrier and if this was meant to be, the opportunity will be there for her to rekindle what she’s lost. In order for her to do that, she’d have to let her guard down and let him in.

Amanda

:

I’m offering companionship… and canine friendship *insert puppy sticker*

Kim Nam Joon

:

I need to rub my eyes…

 

 

Did I just read ‘canine friendship’?

Amanda

:

Got that right, buddy. Are you up for it?

Kim Nam Joon

:

Does this mean I get to see you?

 

 

It’s been weeks… I’ve missed you.

Amanda

:

Only if you promise to keep your hands to yourself.

Kim Nam Joon

:

*insert hands up emoji*

Amanda

:

Pick me up at 7?

Kim Nam Joon

:

7? But… it’s 2am now! Why so early?

Amanda

:

If you don’t wanna do this, it’s your loss not mine

Kim Nam Joon

:

Ok Ok… 7 it is. Know that I’m not crazy about waking up so early

Amanda

:

Good night, Joon. Clear your whole day tomorrow, ok? See you in a few.

Kim Nam Joon

:

Can’t wait, baby grrl.

Amanda grumbles in disgust when she reads ‘baby grrl’ on her screen. Does he think I’m gonna call him ‘Daddy’ just coz he calls me ‘baby grrl’?!

She plugs her phone in the charging dock and sets her alarm for 6:00am.

* * * * *

Swollen-face Amanda gets up feeling irritable and groggy. She checks her phone and the alarm doesn’t go off yet, it’s 5:55am. She curses as she hears clanking noises in the kitchen, she peeks out the door and she sees Gwen and Daniel fooling around while having breakfast. She decides to take a quick shower before she presented herself in front of Gwen’s new squeeze.

Damnit Gwen, why must you do this so early in the morning?!

She quickly showers and gets dressed. She purses her lips and opens up her door and goes to the kitchen to join the lovebirds.

“You guys are up early.” Amanda greets them.

“Mandy! Sorry! Did we wake you?” Gwen punches Daniel in the shoulder. “Mandy, meet Daniel. Daniel… meet bff Mandy.” Gwen sips her coffee, watching Amanda and Daniel shake hands.

“Nice to meet you, Mandy. Sorry we woke you up.” Daniel smiled apologetically.

“It’s ok. I’m due to leave at 7 anyway.” Amanda goes to prepare her own breakfast.

Gwen nudges Daniel and they both stand up. “We’re off to the pool. We’ll catch you later then?”

“Yup later…” Amanda says indifferently. She was not a morning person. “You take care of her y’hear?” She warns Daniel.

“I’m not the swimmer, she is.” Daniel laughed tickling Gwen. “If it’s anyone that needs protection, it’s me.”

Amanda nods in agreement, while munching on her toast.

“Later Mandy!” Gwen waves goodbye as she drags Daniel out the door.

Amanda checks the clock again. It’s 6:55am. , I better go wait downstairs.

Minutes later, while sitting on the curb, waiting in front of her apartment, Amanda watched Namjoon’s car pull up. It was a beautiful morning, the sun was fully up and it was still too early for traffic to build up.

He winds down the window. “Waiting for me?” Namjoon winks at her, dimples peeking through his cheeks.

Amanda couldn’t help but smile when she seems him. Being with him felt so familiar. She found herself missing him. She gets up and walks towards his car. “You’re 5 minutes late.”

“I couldn’t sleep after your text! I tossed and turned wondering what your plans were, could you blame me?” He pushed the door open and invited her in.

Amanda was dressed comfortably, in her black destroyed denim, red graphic t-shirt, which read ‘Dogs Before Dudes’ and white Nike Air Force 1 walking shoes. She had packed extra clothes overnight in her knapsack, which she tucked away in the back seat of Namjoon’s car.

She had made plans in her head. She didn’t plan to execute them ‘till until after their visit to the SPCA. “G’morning.” She greeted Namjoon warmly, smiling as she leans over to straighten herself, which he mistook as her attempting to give him a kiss.

“Oh… “ Namjoon realizes awkwardly. “Morning.” He clears his throat and pretends as if nothing happened. He straightens his shirt and leans his palms on the steering wheel.

“May I have your phone please?” Amanda puts out her hand, asking for his phone to be put on her palm. “I’m going to key-in the coordinates of our destination, silly. I’m not that kinda person.” She smirked.

He dislodges h

Please log in to read the full chapter