Chapter 2

A Star In Daylight

The train ride was long and boring. Baekhyun had nothing to do but watch as the scenery changed from city buildings, to small town until they were riding through big fields of vast grass, trees and the occasional barn. The closer they got to the station the more houses he saw, it still wasn't a lot but more communal than he thought.

"Arriving at Pyeongchul"

The announcer said through the speakers of the train and soon. They were rolling into a beautiful glass station, the sun was reflecting through and giving everything and everyone who were waiting on the platform a soft warm glow. Baekhyun gets up to grab his suitcases from the over head compartments before making his way to the opening train doors. As he steps down onto the platform he covers his eyes from the sun, the heat was already swarming around his body in total contrast to the cool train where he had to cover him self with a sweater. 

Baekhyun ties the said sweater around his waist and takes out the piece of paper Edward gave regarding where to go from here but just as he did so, the train starts off and pulls out, the wind whipping his hair in all directions and snatching the paper from his fingers,

"" Baekhyun says

He goes to grab it but the force of the wind propels the paper behind the train and out the other side of the station. Baekhyun sighs and looks around trying to find his way without the piece of paper. He notices a group of people grouping to his right and decides to follow them. They all shuffle through a tube like walkway and through double doors that lead outside the main station entrance. There were buses, taxis and cars waiting for those they catered to, Baekhyun watches as some people load Into a bus and others taking the taxis. He looked around but didn't see anyone coming towards him or holding a sign with his name on it. 

Baekhyun notices a bench beside and takes a quick seat pulling his suitcases close to him, what the hell was his dad thinking sending him out here? Right now he'd probably be going out to the mall with some of his friends probably getting kicked out after a while because they were messing with the mannequins.

"Excuse me" someone says beside Baekhyun which makes him jump.

Baekhyun looks up at the person addressing him who was now chuckling. The person was tall, then again Baekhyun was fairly short so mostly everyone was taller than him. He was wearing Blue Jeans some mud caked boots and a blue plaid shirt, his hair was dark brown and straight and he had strong features. His eyes were a soft green and he looked to be in his late 30s,

"I'm sorry son, I didn't mean to scare you" the man says after his fit of chuckles.

"Well, maybe you shouldn't just walk up on people like that" Baekhyun counters not liking the fact that this unknown man was laughing at him.

"Are you Baekhyun?" the man asks, "yes that's me" Baekhyun says standing up.

"Thank goodness, when I didn't see anyone from Seoul come out of the doors I was a bit worried, I was holding this sign and everything" he informs 

Baekhyun looks towards the white board in the man's hand he didn't notice earlier. "I didn't see the sign" Baekhyun says.

"I think you got here a little earlier than expected, I just pulled up a minute ago. I'm Kim Jeongsuk" he holds his hand out. 

Baekhyun stares at Jeongsuk's hand, his fingertips dark with dirt and his hand full of calluses, he must of gotten the point after a few seconds of Baekhyun not moving to grab his hand and lowers it, he coughs it off awkwardly. 

"Well, my truck is this way" he says before he starts walking. Baekhyun sighs, why does he have to go through all of this he regrets pulling that stupid prank, he drags his suitcases behind him.

Jeongsuk could tell this kid was going to be a handful, but he was his wife's son and he wanted to make a good impression. 

---------

The ride was silent, they passed through town zooming by shops and food stands. People were walking around in the street chatting and laughing, kids were running around and playing in the fields of the small parks they passed. He saw a school, looking more rundown than the barns he'd seen. Soon they were turning onto a grassy dirt path a couple ways from the town.

"we are here" Jeongsuk said unbuckling himself and hoping out the truck, Baekhyun does the same. 

He looks around as Jeongsuk goes to fetch his stuff from the back of the truck. The heat was scorching and Baekhyun was feeling sticky with sweat, the house was to the left, it's was fairly big with its pale yellow colour and white shutters looking like it came straight out of a country house magazine. He saw the barn a few metres behind the house and the roaming horses off in the distance, baekhyun couldn't help thinking that his mom chose this over the luxurious life in Seoul, he felt himself getting mad just as Jeongsuk arrives with his suitcases. 

"your mother isn't here, she went into town to buy some groceries. She wanted to have a cookout for your arrival" he says helping Baekhyun bring his suitcases up the steps.

Baekhyun scoffs "I don't want a cookout, I don't even want to be here" 

Jeongsuk's lips pull down in a slight frown at the tone and harshness of Baekhyun's word but he shakes off the feeling to scold the boy and smiles instead.

"well, she's going through the trouble of doing so, it wouldn't hurt to go along with it plus she's inviting friends and neighbours" Jeongsuk informs him. 

Baekhyun shrugs watching as he unlocks the door to the house feeling thrown off that this guy has a key to his mother's house.

"do you live here?" he asks as they enter, setting down his stuff off to the side.

"yes, your mother and I moved in together, she's my wife" Jeongsuk replies.

Baekhyun's mouth falls open, wife!? What!? When?! His father never told him anything about his mother having a new fiancé. After his parents had a divorce and she left them when Baekhyun was in fifth grade because she wanted to be with another man, he was angry with her, he knew his father still got letters from her and talked to her over the phone but Baekhyun still refused to acknowledge her as his mother. He recalls a time he came home and overheard his dad on the phone once,

Baekhyun felt exhausted from running away from old man Mr. Jung after him and his friends spray painted his house. He threw his bag on the couch,

"I'm home!" he yelled but got nothing in return. 

He wondered if his father was home, he goes down the hall towards his study when he hears his voice. 

"we are doing well" Baekhyun hear his father say

The study door was open ajar and Baekhyun wondered who he was talking to, he assumed it was a client but he still stood by the door eavesdropping. 

"so you're really going to marry him?" he asks the person on the other line.

Who's gonna marry who? Baekhyun questioned, leaning in further.

"well, I guess you've had a really long time to get to know him" his father continues 

There's a long pause before he speaks again,

"you know how he's been, he probably won't want to go" 

 Baekhyun now realises his father was talking to his mother, he looks over at Kim Jeongsuk who was now checking a stack of envelopes on the table and suddenly a new wave of anger surfaces, this was the guy who stole his mother from him.