Chapter 25

A Star In Daylight

"what are we going to do?" Baekhyun asks genuinely at a loss. 

Him and Sehun were sitting inside Mrs. Bees trying to process what they just found out and come up with a plan. As Baekhyun looks into his glass filled with iced tea, he remembers the last time he was here with Chanyeol. Looking back to then he had so many conflicting emotions, he never knew what to settle on. He would tell himself he hated those feelings but feel his heart jump at the slightest look and touch from the boy. He wished he had been more serious with himself, Baekhyun remembers how concerned Chanyeol looked and sounded. He sighs,

"well for sure, we have to get him out of there and if his step-mom is with him, her too" Sehun says. 

"but how? We aren't the police, we don't have weapons and by the looks of it Chanyeol's dad is strong. If we get caught who knows what he'll do to us?" Baekhyun voices concern. 

They both sit there silently mulling this over. 

"we should get the others" Sehun says after a while,

"what?"

"Junmyeon and the guys, we should tell them. Partly because Chanyeol is their friend too and they should know what's going on and the other because we obviously can't do this on our own" Sehun explains. 

"but we can't drag them into this, we don't know how dangerous this is yet" Baekhyun leans in a little.

"exactly, all the more reason to have back up" Baekhyun stays quiet, Sehun did have a point. 

"Junmyeon has a brother in the police force. He works for the division here, if we can get Jun to talk to him maybe we can have a more solid backup" Sehun suggest. 

"Junmyeon has a brother? And he's a policeman?" Sehun nods at Baekhyun "but you said the police will brush us off how will we get their help?" 

Baekhyun sees a small smile form Sehun's lips, and his eyebrow rises in confusion. 

"Jun's brother absolutely adores him, so much so that it's sickening. If it's Junmyeon asking, he'll for sure agree" 

Baekhyun's stomach was fluttering with relentless butterflies at the fact that they are actually going to be doing this, they were going to be rescuing Chanyeol and his step-mom from a deranged psycho like some sort of superheroes. He had a bad feeling about how this could go but his will to save Chanyeol was stronger than his fear which made him more nervous. Could they really do this?

"come on" Sehun says getting up from their table "let's go gather the others"

---------------

They were all gathered in Sehun's room. Jongin, Kyungsoo and Junmyeon sat on his bed, Jongdae, Minseok and Yixing sat on the floor. Baekhyun was seated at Sehun's work desk that was surprisingly by a stacked bookshelf and Sehun himself was standing in the middle of the room. 

"why'd you call us over all of a sudden? Another surprise sleepover? cause I didn't bring any clothes" Jongin questions thoughtfully. 

Sehun turns towards him "no. And that's the whole point of a surprise sleepover, that you don't know to prepare for it" he points to Jongin. 

Jongdae rolls his eyes "that is so stupid, the last time you had a surprise sleepover we all had to where the same clothes for two days" Jongdae says accusingly 

"you wouldn't even lend us any of yours" Minseok says and then an onslaught of them spouting out accusations at Sehun erupts. 

Baekhyun watches the exchange feeling left out, these guys have known each other for so long and he'd be lying if he said he didn't want to have friends like them of such longevity. Back home "friends" came and went depending on if he kept getting things for them or not. He sighed inwardly, he knows he is going to have to go back soon and for the first time since he has gotten here, he didn't want to. He still hasn't talked to his mother properly in a while and with Chanyeol disappearing and Sehun not coming over much, he had felt lonely without realizing it. He had come here to get himself together but looking over things he realises that he hasn't even started but they had more pressing matters at hand. 

They were all still arguing when Baekhyun opens his mouth. 

"hey!" he shouts and they all become quiet, heads turning in his direction. 

"Sehun and I called you guys here because we had something to tell you" Baekhyun says, looking over at Sehun who nods in agreement.

"yeah" Sehun's light hearted tone from before dissolves into something more serious "we do". 

The others watch wide-eyed like they've never seen Sehun use this type of tone before. They sit there quietly waiting for them to say what ever it is they had to say. 

"I'm sure y'all have been wondering where Chanyeol is, we haven't seen him for some time" Sehun starts and the others look between each other agreeing. 

"yeah, where is that dofus. He's never disappeared for this long from what we know, we're all starting to feel on edge. Like something is wrong, we've been talking about it during lunch" Kyungsoo says concerned. 

Sehun nods his head "something is wrong" 

That's when Junmyeon stands up "what? What's wrong? Do you know?" Baekhyun can feel the rooms atmosphere change into a heavy one as if one person's feelings were chain linking to everyone else. As if they were one, sharing the same worry and concern for their friend. 

"Chanyeol's been kidnapped" Sehun says grimly as if he now feels the weight of the whole situation more than he did before. 

You could've been crushed by the dread that fell from the air passing through every body in the room. 

"what!?" they all say in unison following suit to stand like junmyeon. 

"wait, how do you know that? Is this another on of your idiot jokes because it's not funny" Yixing says in disbelief. 

Everyone turns to him, surprised. Baekhyun has only known Yixing for a short time but he knew the male was not very talkative or expressive so for him to actually say something so animatedly it made everything more real for Baekhyun who was still in slight denial. 

"it's not a joke, Baekhyun and I found everything out and it's bad" Sehun looks across each of his friends face. He missed his best friend, and knowing he was in danger made him feel like he was the worst for letting this happen to him, made him feel angry that he hadn't seen how miserable his friend really was. 

He looked back at Baekhyun who had been the one to find out where Chanyeol was and what kind of situation he was in despite only knowing him for almost a month. Sehun felt ashamed as his best friend but right now all he can do is try everything to help Chanyeol and he needed everyone to do so, we all cared about him and Sehun would be damned if he let anything more happen to his best friend. 

 

They had spent the next while filling everyone in on what they had discovered. Their encounter with Chanyeol's dad, how Chanyeol was been being abused by him, how Chanyeol was been dropped out of school, Sehun's encounter at Chanyeol's house, even the bucket. Baekhyun also added something he had noticed and picked up before but had disregarded them. 

It had taken a while but throughout it all, you could see the change of emotions in everyone until they all ended up feeling angry and nervous. 

"who would do such a thing to family?" Junmyeon voices out loud angrily. The others silently agree. 

"how could we even call ourself friends if we didn't even notice what was going on" Jongin  says 

"he did a great job of hiding it, that idiot always smiling like he had no worries in the world" Kyungsoo adds. 

It went silent for a while. Baekhyun looks out the window only to notice that it was night time, since when? He looked at the clock on the table next to Sehun's bed, 9:00. 

"that's why we should help him and his step-mom, now that we can see how dangerous Chanyeol's dad is we can conclude that they aren't safe" Sehun speaks through the silence. "Junmyeon" 

He looks up at the sound of his name "Baekhyun and I were talking and we are going to need your brothers help from the police. We need you to talk to him so he can get some of his colleagues to back us up" 

"sure, I'll try and get him to help us, this is a serious matter" Junmyeon agrees. 

"okay, let's come up with a plan" Baekhyun says "tomorrow night we will take action, I hate waiting with something like this but if we go now we will be being too hasty and most of us need time to take this all in and calm our nerves. We are really doing this you guys" Baekhyun rants "we are going to save our friend". He smiles feeling a new wave of determination. 

They all voice light yes's and Jongdae shouts enthusiastically. 

----------

Baekhyun walks through the door only to be engulfed in an unexpected embrace. He looks to see his mothers small body against his her slender arms encircling his waist. 

"mom?" he says genuinely confused. 

She backs away and looks him in the face, her features showing, worry. "I was starting to think you wouldn't come home. You've never came back this late" 

She looks at him a little more suspiciously "were you out smoking? Drinking? I know teenagers these days want to think they're grown and do these things" she lectures. 

Baekhyun rolls his eyes but gives a small smile "no, I was just at a friends house and didn't keep track of time" he says truthfully. 

As he looks at her release a relieved breath Baekhyun for once doesn't feel any anger that came with seeing her or hearing her voice. Didn't feel like giving her any curt, witty answers and only felt like going to bed, he had a lot of things to think about and he needed some time alone but he also felt like this was a step. 

As he walks passed her he notices Jeongsuk sitting in the kitchen. Baekhyun hasn't had much of a relationship with the guy since he got here, that being that he resented him for taking his mother and making him do all these hard chores but as he watches him read a book and sip some tea Baekhyun thinks, there really is no reason to not respect him. He had all opportunities to kick Baekhyun's out for being rude but didn't, he tolerated him and let him stay because of his mother. He must really love her,

Jeongsuk looks up from his book and Baekhyun jumps but immediately bows after. "sorry I'm late" he mumbles before turning in the opposite direction.

Before he can make his way to the staircase through the living room he feels a hand wrap around his wrist. He looks back at his mother, her face held nervousness but also seriousness. 

"Baekhyun we need to talk. Properly, no yelling, no rude words just a proper talk" she says. 

If it was before, Baekhyun would've snatched his hand away and say something to hurt her feelings, but he didn't feel like doing that. And maybe this was a result of them not speaking and him avoiding her or him feeling lonely this past week but he just nods. 

The smile that spreads across her face tugs at Baekhyun's chest. Maybe this was long overdue. 

 

They sat on Baekhyun's bed both not saying anything at first. What could she want to say to him? She had already told him what had happened, Baekhyun feels his heart sinking thinking about that conversation.

"I loved your father" she says out of nowhere and Baekhyun turns to look at her. She was looking at her hands that were folded on her lap. 

"I loved him a lot, I don't want you thinking I never did because that's not true" Baekhyun stayed quiet listening because that really all he can do. 

"but Baekhyun, sometimes things don't work out, no matter how happy you think you are with someone or how much you love that person, sometimes it's an illusion you put on yourself " 

Baekhyun was confused, but kept quiet. 

"when your father would stay late at work at night I would think to myself, why don't I mind? Other wives would mind if he stayed out late but why didn't I? I never had an answer and would chalk it up to me just naturally being laid back and care free" she sighs. 

"and when we had you, I was so happy I just disposed of those thoughts found them irrelevant and unnecessary. I was in love, I was married and I was now starting a family. It's what I've always wanted" she looks at Baekhyun her eyes full of different emotions that it was hard to pinpoint one. 

"but as time went by I realised I just didn't feel satisfied. That something didn't feel right, everytime I would look at your father I would feel less and less butterflies that eventually I just saw him as your father, I didn't even realise I had stopped thinking of him as a husband until I met Jeongsuk. We had hit it off that first night, it had felt great my heart was beating like crazy and butterflies were attacking my stomach at the smallest look or touch he would give me"

Baekhyun knew that feeling all too well. 

"and when I would go home and see your father I would feel nothing. It scared at me, like I was living with a random person who just worked all the time and when I would hold you and play with you I would feel guilty and sad like I was doing you wrong in feeling this way. Eventually I started sneaking out more often leaving you with last minute baby sitters, I would go out with Jeongsuk and those feelings that had faded with your father had increased ten fold with him so much so that one night I had been bold and drunk enough to bring him home".

Baekhyun watches as she sighs. Baekhyun was also feeling different emotions but none of them were anger and he was surprised at that. 

"you know the rest of that but anyways my point is that, I know I didn't love you guys enough, I know i only cared about my feelings but all that didn't mean I didn't love you as my son, I didn't leave you on purpose but because I had to. I called your father and always asked to speak to you but you never wanted to and by that time I already knew why. He had told you what happened, or a short, sweet version of it".

Baekhyun feels her take his hands "Baekhyun I just want you to see me as your mother. Even if I'm not with your dad, I still want you to come to me too when you want to talk or feel sad and as selfish as it may be I want you to stop hating me and not be angry anymore" she pleads. 

He didn't know what to say. He didn't know what he felt but he knew since he didn't feel any anger or hatred that he was slowly accepting the fact that his mom had started loving someone else and moved on, that she didn't just run off with some other man and leave him behind. His dad had moved on slowly too so now it was his turn.

He squeezes her hands and smiles softly "it might take a little more time, but I think it's time I accept this and move on" 

His mother smiles and pulls him into a hug "take all the time you need, I just want a proper relationship with you" she speak into his hair. 

 A small smile plays at his lips. Today was one crazy day but as he remembers, his smile slipped away just as his mother wishes him good night and exits the room. 

But tomorrow is going to be even crazier.