Chapter 23

A Star In Daylight

Baekhyun's eyes go wide and looks back at the man. That is Chanyeol's dad? As if feeling them staring at him he turns around in their direction, Baekhyun's breath catches in his throat. 

Those eyes, those dark, intense eyes stared back at them, a complete contrast to Chanyeol's warm and soft ones. For a while Baekhyun felt like they were having a unwanted, unannounced challenge between the three of them. He could see some resemblance between the two, Chanyeol's nose, his lips, his height. You couldn't mistake their relation but at the same time you could. While Chanyeol had a loose, more awkward stance his father's was tight and determined. Chanyeol had an aura of warmth where as Baekhyun only felt coldness from this man.

"Sehun, is that you?" Chanyeol's father smiles but to Baekhyun it looked more like a sneer. He starts to stride over to where they stood in the courtyard and Baekhyun was feeling himself go stiff with every step. 

Soon he was in front of them, and Baekhyun feels this unknown fear creep slowly up his body, he glances over at Sehun and he can tell the boy was feeling the same way. Expectially after they had been talking about him being dangerous.

"he-hello Mr. Park" Sehun stammers and for the first time Baekhyun sees the wit and carefree demeanor of Chanyeol's best friend drain from him drop by drop as if this man was draining him of his personality with one simple look. 

"now, you've been a good friend to my son for quite some time no need to call me Mr." he clamps a hand down on Sehun's shoulder and if Baekhyun was any smarter he could've sworn he saw the man's hand clamp down firmly on Sehun's shoulder, making him wince. "Dokyung, is just fine" the same sneering, smile crosses his lips.

Dokyungs head turns to look at Baekhyun "and who's this?" Baekhyun stands there unable to respond as he feels Chanyeol's father eye him up. "are you a new friend of Chanyeol? er hasn't mentioned you before" 

Baekhyun didn't know how to respond to this man, didn't they know how to react or if he even should react. He felt like a prey, like a gazelle under a lion's hungry, unfaltering stare as he gets ready to attack. So Baekhyun stays quiet as Sehun forcingly answers.

"this is Baekhyun, he moved here a while ago, he's new" 

"oh really?" just those two words had an underlining darkness to them that made Baekhyun shiver. Chanyeol's dad moves closer to Baekhyun and leans down to level with his ear "I don't like you" he hears the man growls lowly in his ear " you look like a nosy piece of ". He straightens up and looks straight into Baekhyun's eyes and he can see all the hatred and lack of feeling in those eyes. 

Baekhyun was scared, scared for himself, scared for Sehun and most definitely scared for Chanyeol. Where was he!? They needed to find him, Baekhyun didn't feel good about this at all. 

He felt strong arms wrap around his shoulder and squish him to a hard chest. Dokyung was embracing them in a friendly manner. The change of personality was scaring Baekhyun even more, "I'm glad I got to spend some time with you guys, Chanyeol never brings you guys over" he feigns hurt. But Baekhyun understood why Chanyeol never had anyone over, his dad was one scary man.

"where is Chanyeol?" Baekhyun blurts out, surprising himself and both Sehun and Chanyeol's dad. He gets out of the man's hold and turns to look at him. Feeling some unknown new source of confidence, where did he get this from? He thinks back to how he got used to Chanyeol's presence, how somewhere along the way he started forgetting his hatred towards his mother and the only thing that occupied his thoughts were his unwanted feelings for the boy, how he soon and unwillingly just accepted them. The confession and the rejection flows through his mind and as he looks at this big man he feels nothing but hatred. Hatred at the fact that he was the source of Chanyeol's hurt and suffering, hatred at the fact that he has taken Chanyeol away from him, he even hated that he was also a part of why Chanyeol had rejected him, maybe if things were different and Chanyeol wasn't so determined to go back to get his stepmother, maybe just maybe he could've confessed in a more meaningful way and maybe have gotten a different answer.

All this was boiling up in Baekhyun, and the boldness that erupted in him, stemed from this. 

"no one has seen Chanyeol for weeks! No one can get a hold of him! Where is he!? Your his father, what have you done to him?" Baekhyun was shaking slightly with all this new-found hate inside him. 

How could someone abuse their own son? He thinks back to what Chanyeol said back in the alley. 

he's trying to kill me, just like how I killed my mother. 

Did this man who calls himself Chanyeol's father somehow make Chanyeol think he killed his mother in the fire? Is that why he was so out of it when he moved here? Is that what Chanyeol meant? Is this man going to set the house on fire?! Baekhyun's mind was whirling from all this, what kind of sick person is this? He's not a father, he's not even a man, he's a monster. 

Baekhyun bores into Dokyungs eyes pushing all the hatred and anger he had in him in just that moment towards him. Baekhyun saw something switch in his eyes. And even though he smirks at him Baekhyun can see he was anything but amused, it was those eyes, those dark, intense and lifeless eyes that showed him the truth.

"we are worried about him, he wasn't home when I went to check a day ago. In fact no one was home" Sehun joins in, watching Dokyung suspiciously as the man looks between the two. 

He let's out a light chuckle. He walks passed the two and pats them on the back, hard. Baekhyun grimaces at the pain. Chanyeol's father walks back towards the front walkway but stops and turns. 

"I'm sorry I had to tell you this way" his expression and voice anything but apologetic "but you don't have to worry about him" there was a pause and a gust of wind blows around them sending more chills down both the boys backs. 

But nothing could compare to the look of the man in front of him, Baekhyun could only describe it as pure evil.

"he won't be coming back" and with that he walks off leaving both boys staring after in fear.

---------------

notagainnotagainnotagain  the words that run through Chanyeol's mind over and over as he looks around the dark space. 

He shakes his head as past events run in his mind, driving him nearly mad. Over and over each image, each event, each word plays and tortures his thoughts. 

Chanyeol had woken from his unconscious state only to find his hands tied behind his back and his legs bound. He was leaning against a cold, wet brick wall. Why? Why did this have to happen? What did he do wrong? Did he deserve this much hate? He guess he does, what he did was inexcusable, what he did was monstrous, he was no better than his father, no better than those thugs who have taken countless lives. His hands were tainted, tainted with the blood of his own mother. He wanted to cry, he already felt the tears welling up, he was a worthless kid. He shuts his eyes and squeezes them, the b tears spill over as he does so. 

Mom? I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. You know I didn't mean it right? You don't hate me right? I miss you. And Chanyeol couldn't have said any truer words, he missed his mother, he missed her so much. Missed her sweet smile, her shiny black hair that always smelled of vanilla, he missed the way she would read him stories, make him laugh even though he was having bad day. He missed watching her cook but most of all he missed sitting beside her on their beat up piano, watching has her fingers smoothly ran over the keys as she taught him their song. I want my mom he thinks, please bring my mom back to me.

"Yeollie?" he hears a small but familiar voice call. 

For a moment he actual thinks it could be his real mother but then he realises,

"Mina?" he sits up so abruptly he almost falls over, he looks around frantically, where is she?

"Chan, my baby?" her soft voice continues to waft nto Chanyeol's ears. And as he hears the endearment and hopefulness in her voice his heart tugs in his chest. Where was she!? He had to make sure she was okay, he had to.

His eyes rest on a figure to his far left and as his eyes settle, he sees her small frame tied up just like him. But Chanyeol's eyes grow wide as he takes her in. The dress he had last seen her in was shredded, so much so that he could see her body, Chanyeol's face contorts in anger and flaming heat lodges itself in his belly, he gets even more angry when he sees what looks like cuts an bruises along her whole body, some still looked open and others caked over with blood. Chanyeol's hands tighten in fists behind him, he hates his father, despises him for doing this to her, how could he? But Chanyeol knew his father could, he had no ounce of sympathy or love in him. Yet Chanyeol was always haunted with the image of him holding a gun towards his younger self, why didn't he shoot him then? Chanyeol was sure he would've but something stopped him, even if then he still had a little bit of heart left, he had none now all that was there was a black depth of nothingness. 

"I'm here" he says softly 

"why did you come here, you idiot" she argues halfheartedly.

"I couldn't just leave you" he says "you're too important to me" 

"Chanyeol, I've-" but she was cut off when they hear the slam of a door. 

Even though they couldn't see each others eyes, they look at each other with fear. But Chanyeol inwardly kicks himself, he can't be scared he has to protect Mina.

"stupid ing kids! Never mind their damn business!" the low shouting of Chanyeol's father sends an even more dreadful feeling into the dark space. 

He sees his father appear from the stairs he now notices across from him. He has something in his hand, something that looks like a bucket. 

Chanyeol sees him pull something on the wall opposite the stairs and a single florescent light shines in the middle of the room. He looks over to Mina who he could see better now and he notices white stains around her and some on her skin, milky looking and as soon as he registers what it is the anger that had been sitting low comes raging up further. Just what the do these lowlifes think they've been doing to my step mom! 

Chanyeol's father bounds to the middle of the room, right under the light casting and eerie shadow over his face. Chanyeol felt to spit in it and mash his head in to the ground with his foot. 

"why the are you doing this!? Wasn't beating us up enough for you!? Now you have to let men your wife and cut her up!? What is this sick joke!" Chanyeol spouts out in anger. 

"you think because you go around hanging with crap thugs you have some sort of power!? You don't have ! Ever since you killed mo-" he was cut shirt with a strong pressure around his neck, his father was choking him,

Surprised he claws at the hand as more pressure is added, all the air leaving him at a rapid pace. He looks into the face of his father and his eyes widen, Chanyeol should've known, should've figured it out a long time ago, this man wasn't his father, this man was a monster, he stopped being his father eleven years ago. The hatred and evil look in his eyes as he chokes Chanyeol was enough to make the boys body start to shake violently, he was scared. 

"you killed your ing mother on your own" his voice dripping with hatred "you stabbed her on your own accord, and she deserved it for the trouble she had caused me, almost getting me killed" Chanyeol's head was going numb "I was supposed to kill her myself" he chuckles darkly "luckily you did it for me" 

"Dokyung stop!" he hears Mina "you're killing him!" 

"shut up you " he spits 

"don't...talk...to her....like.. That" Chanyeol forces out, black dots lining his vision. 

Suddenly the pressure was gone and Chanyeol was pushed onto his side, coughing and airninto his lungs. "both of you are the same, both worthless and a waste off space, why don't I just get rid of you guys for good" he goes over to the bucket he brought "you guys mean nothing to me, just a bunch of animals taking all my money" 

Chanyeol watches as he takes out a butchers knife. He hears Mina squeak and he himself shivers in fear. He is worthless, he can't even keep his cool long enough, can't even be strong for Mina who needs him the most right now. 

"Chanyeol, son" the endearment rooted with sarcasm. Dokyung twists the knife in the light, it bounces off the metal making it shine. "you see, you need to learn a lesson. One is that not everything can be happy and bright in the world and the other is that blood is meant to be spilt why else do you think it has such a gorgeous, bright red colour to it, so everyone can marvel at its beauty" he smirks. 

"you're sick" Chanyeol spits 

He watches as Dokyungs hands drop to his sides and he takes a slow but determined step in Mina's direction. Chanyeol's heart rate picks up and he feels his stomach sink to his knees. 

"what are you doing!? Don't go near her!" Chanyeol looks over at Mina who is looking at Dokyung in fear, so much fear that Chanyeol's heart breaks. He tries to get up but to no avail. He keeps trying with every step he takes towards Mina.

"STOP!" Chanyeol cries desperately. 

"you're wrong, son. you're going to be sick, sick as you watch me gut your of a step mom open" his smile so sinister as he crouched in front of a trembling Mina. 

"you killed your birth mother, now I will kill her stupid replacement. After all, like father like son or in this case the other way around" he laughs darkly at his own sick joke. 

Chanyeol tries harder to push himself towards Mina. Please, please, he can't be useless another time, the same images that haunted him all his life flash before him. He can't witness this a second time, he can't relive this, please please, I want to save her, I want to protect her, an image of shiny black hair and a warm smile spread before him, please; this time just let me save my, 

"MOM!"  he screams as he sees Dokyung bring the knife to Mina's stomach.