Chapter 14

A Star In Daylight

"Chanyeol?" Jeongsuk was surprised to see the tall boy standing at his front door. 

He took a closer look and saw that he was carrying a duffel bag over his shoulder and as he looked to the boys right he saw Mina standing there also sporting a duffel bag, her head was down and it looked like she was slightly hiding behind Chanyeol. Jeongsuk knew of his friends new wife but has only met her once and even then they have never conversed, he always thought she was a pretty lady.

"what are you guys doing here so late?" he asked still holding the door open. 

"A pipe at our house had burst open and now the hold place smells like mold and sewer and the shower and sinks aren't working because of it" Chanyeol conjured up a hopefully gullible lie. "my dad said I should take my step-mom and come over here. He's going to look into fixing it and stay at our neighbours".

Jeongsuk stared at the two. They didn't really have extra rooms but they could let them stay for a while.

"come in you two"Jeongsuk stepped aside to let them tumble in. 

Chanyeol was grateful he bought that lie and he could see that his stepmom was too. He didn't like lying to someone he's known mostly his whole life but he didn't want anyone knowing what really happened.

Chanyeol has been in this house a million times, with the kitchen to your right as you walk the short length of the front corridor. The living space just accross from it through a wide open doorway, the stairs to the second floor also reside on the far wall of that space and the hallway straight down to the back door that lead to the farm. It's really a second home to him, one he liked way more than his own. 

"Sooyoung and I were just having some down time watching some late night TV"Jeongsuk informed. 

"oh dear, did we disturb you?" Mina asked, not wanting to be a bother. 

"oh, not at all, you guys are always welcome. Just a kindness from a family friend, would you guys like something to drink?" 

Chanyeol and Mina drop their bags by the doorway and follow Jeongsuk to the kitchen just as Sooyoung pops her head from the living room. 

"oh! Chan? What brings you here?" she comes towards them. 

They all congregate to the kitchen and sit down at the table. "pipe was busted, Dokyung is trying to get it fixed" Jeongsuk fills her in.

"well, that's horrible. You guys can stay here for as long as you like" Sooyoung rests a hand on Chanyeol's and smiles.

"that's okay, we're only going to stay here a while" he wraps an arm around his step moms shoulders, who's been quiet the whole time. 

"you must be Mina, Dokyung's wife, it's finally nice to meet you" she turns to the petit woman. 

Sooyoung looked at the younger lady, she looked way too thin, was she alright? And she's very quiet she was barely looking her in the face, was she shy? 

"I'll make you both some tea and we can make some arrangements" Sooyoung gets up and goes to the cupboards, taking out two mugs. "I know how Chanyeol likes his but how would you like yours, Mina?" 

"two sugars please" Mina wasn't used to being around such nice people. The only people she's been around is Chanyeol, her husband and his thug friends who come around occassionaly to drink and trade excessive drugs, they would her and say dirty things about her yet her husband forced her to cater to them whenever they were around, she hated it. She's never told Chanyeol any of this because she didn't want him to worry, Mina knew the boy would be mad and she didn't want to add to his problems. 

"you're friends with Baekhyun, right?" Jeongsuk asked Chanyeol. 

"I wouldn't say we were friends but we know each other" he answered 

"that's good, since you are both men, you guys would have to room together for now. Are you okay with sharing a bed?" 

Chanyeol's mind ran blank, what? Sharing a bed with Baekhyun? He thought of the boys peaceful sleeping face, he thought of his small frame and perfect body and he felt his heartbeat pick up and a slight heat coming to his cheeks. 

"yes, sure" he strains out even though he knew this was probably a bad idea. He didn't know when he started thinking of the boy in such a way but he was all too aware of how attractive Baekhyun was. 

"great. Mina you'll sleep in our room and I'll take the blow up mattress and sleep in the living room" Jeongsuk continued. 

"oh no, I couldn't let you do that" Mina blurts out "it's too troublesome" 

Jeongsuk waves her off "it's alright, really" 

"don't worry about it, Mina. We'll have a girls night in" Sooyoung comes over giggling, handing them their tea. 

"well if you insist" Mina says, sipping the hot liquid.

Chanyeol looked over at his stepmom, he knew he wasn't doing both of them any good by leaving that house, they would have to go back at some point and he knew his father will be waiting ready to snap but if just for a while he can get her away from there to maybe unwind her nerves he would gladly take anything his father can conjure up. 

"Baekhyun's room is on the second floor at the end of the hall" Sooyoung tell Chanyeol and he nods getting up, finishing his tea. 

As he was going to walk back to the front door to get his bag, he felt a small tug on his shirt. He looked back at his step mom. Chanyeol knew it was her first time in someone else's home and he smiled softly, he leaned closer and whispered.

"I trust them, it'll be okay" she looks into his eyes for a moment before nodding and letting go. 

Chanyeol grabs his duffel bag and goes through the living room to the stairs, he takes a deep breath another struggle is up ahead and he doesn't know if he's ready for it. What will Baekhyun think seeing him here suddenly? Well of course he'll just tell him the same lie.

--------

Baekhyun slumped over his desk trying to finish the math homework that was assigned today. Since he went to a prestigious school the math they did there was difficult so doing this local school math wasn't that hard but math wasn't his best subject, easy or not. 

He had heard some chatter coming from downstairs but he wasn't paying attention, his mom and Jeongsuk probably had company. Baekhyun looked at the clock on his bedside table, 10:40?, they have company this late? Well whatever it wasn't his house. He was about to go back to work when he heard footsteps outside his door, his mom? But he told her not to disturb him. 

Baekhyun's back was facing towards the door that was now being opened. "mom, I told you I'm doing homework" 

There was a short silence before he got an answer. 

"I think I'm a bit too manly to be your mom" Baekhyun's hand stopped abruptly, he would recognize that deep voice anywhere.

He turned around and even though he knew who it was he was still surprised and jumped, awkwardly falling out of his chair, his heart beating and his mind reeling. What was he doing here?! In his room!? He quickly got to his feet embarrassed and dusted himself off. Baekhyun didn't know how to comprehend this situation, didn't know if he should kick him out or stay where he was so nothing further happened. 

"what the hell are you doing in my room?!" he shouted settling for the forward approach "get out"

"I can't, I'm going to be staying here for a while and the only way is of we become roommates" Chanyeol smirks at him and Baekhyun's knees nearly buckle at the sheer iness of it. 

, he swore inwardly. He needs to get him out of here nothing good will come of this, why the hell is he staying here? Why not his friends house? And then his mind came up with a conclusion, was he stalking him!? Was it because of that day before at the cafe? Baekhyun watched as Chanyeol put down his bag near the wall next to the door and walked over to him.

Baekhyun wanted to run out of the room and not come back until this guy was gone. "why are you here?" 

Chanyeol leaned over the back of his desk chair and checked the contents spread across the surface, "wow, so this was our homework? glad I didn't go" he said sliding papers aside to see what was written. 

Oh yeah, Baekhyun thought, he didn't come to school today. Why was that? To Baekhyun it just seemed like he was lazy and slacking. Chanyeol's tall frame made the desk and chair look like a kids play set, his big presence was hard to ignore. 

"I asked you a question" Baekhyun felt like the tall boy was avoiding it somehow. 

"can't I just stay over at a friend?" he asked nonchalantly looking at Baekhyun amused.

Baekhyun didn't like the way he felt giddy at the fact that Chanyeol was looking at him. Ugh, he wished these dumb feelings would just go away already. 

"we aren't friends, so you're not here for me" Baekhyun said and was surprised by the hurt he felt at those words. 

"ouch" Chanyeol said standing up straight. 

Baekhyun's eyes now had to lift higher and adjust to the new height level but before he could settle on Chanyeol's face his eyes lingered at his neck, where he's sure he could see a small purple spot. What was that? A rash? Was he bruised?

"I'm here because a pipe busted at our house and it got bad, I couldn't go to any of my friends houses because they don't live that close to me and they would've already been asleep, this is the only other place I know" Chanyeol tells Baekhyun. 

"where's your dad and mom? Why didn't you go with them?" Baekhyun wasn't sure why he was asking all these questions but they just kept tumbling out. 

Chanyeol walked over to his bed and and sat down at the edge. "well, my dad went to sleep over at the neighbours while he fixed the pipes, he said it would be to troublesome if all of us came here"

Baekhyun stayed where he was not sure what to do with himself even though it was his own room. 

"my step-mom is downstairs with your mom, they'll be rooming together. Sorry for the intrusion but this was really the only place I really felt we would be welcomed" Chanyeol looks at Baekhyun and for a split second his eyes were pleading before he looked away across the room. 

Step-mom? So he didn't love with his real mom? Did his dad and mom split up? Baekhyun knew there was a lot he didn't know about Chanyeol and watching him sit on his bed staring off into space, he wanted to know more. 

Baekhyun sighed "well I guess it can't be helped" 

"really? Thank you" Chanyeol gets up and brings Baekhyun into a hug "I promise I won't be in your way too much"

Baekhyun's face was pressed against the boys broad chest, you say that but your doing this? Baekhyun's heart was hammering and he wanted Chanyeol to let him go, his strong arms were wrapped around Baekhyun's waist tightly and he felt a weird sense of safety and warmth. A small scent from Chanyeol's clothes was swarming around Baekhyun, it smelt like vanilla and lavender and It was heavenly, Baekhyun found himself burying himself into Chanyeol's chest more but he moved back,

Baekhhun looked up into the boys face and found it extremely close, his heart hasn't calmed down even a little bit and he was afraid it'll burst from his chest as he looked into Chanyeol's pretty eyes.

"um" Chanyeol coughed "do you know where the bathroom is? I'd like to shower before bed" he backs away completely leaving Baekhyun standing there dazed and confused. 

What? His cheeks started flaming and his embarrassment grew, what the hell was he thinking?! Snuggling up to him? Was he stupid?

"I-uh, it's two doors down" Baekhyun says standing by his desk awkwardly. 

"thanks" Chanyeol said before rummaging through his bag and heading out the door. 

Baekhyun stared at the floor were Chanyeol stood, this was bad, this was very bad.