Prologue

Royal fools

PROLOGUE

 

There was a time when a man's word was worth gold, but decades of betrayals and treason born of their greedy hearts made it so that no man's word can ever again be trusted. Now, those promises must be backed up by something of actual worth; lands, riches, cattle… a maiden.

 

It then became a popular practice that all deals between kingdoms be sealed with an arranged wedding, it was not only a worthy payment but ensured a connection between the parties for decades to come.

 

That was how prince Kim Jongin was engaged to Do Soojung.

 

King Kim was an old man with not one but three promising heirs, the eldest of which was destined to ascend the throne upon his passing, however he, Kim Joonmyeon, lost mobility of his nether region in the battle field. The second was then Jongin, the new crown prince, a wise young man with fresh views and liberal ideals that the king never liked, but neither did he oppose.

 

The king was in search of a good wife for his second son and like a gift from the sky fell unto his lap a peace offering from a neighboring kingdom that had aided their enemies in the war, now wanting to switch to the winning side.

 

King Kim loathed the hypocrisy and lack of shame of king Do, but the war had left them - although victorious - weakened, and denying the other may spite him. The kingdom wouldn't survive an attack in that state.

 

So, he accepted in exchange for a maiden that would wed his eldest, bed ridden prince Joonmyeon. King Do took this as an insult, which it precisely was, and refused to give his precious only daughter to an invalid useless prince. The crown prince! he demanded, my princess shall be queen.

 

King Kim was in no position to oppose and within a month, the young pair was wedded.

 

The newlyweds were quick to produce a little princess in summer season, rosy cheeks reminiscent of the last warm rays of the setting sun, Kim Yeoreum.

 

Meanwhile king Do’s wife had given birth to a child of her own, a healthy boy.

 

Unlike king Kim, king Do had ascended the throne at a very young age and was still at the peak of his youth, in no rush to pass down his crown, which resulted in his eldest son, Kyungsoo, growing up with more freedom and less responsibilities than what was common for a crown prince.

 

When he turned 16, his younger brother was but a 7-year-old baby and the gap was enough that Kyungsoo shouldn't feel threatened over his position. But then his sister fell ill.

 

King Kim had not too long ago passed and at the ripe age of 21, Jongin had taken the throne, he was now only 24 and his young daughter 6 when the first symptoms showed themselves ever so subtly.

 

By the time the princess was 9, Soojung was bedridden with an illness the royal doctors didn't comprehend.

 

And far from worried over her health, king Do was scheming.

 

Her death would weaken their bond, King Jongin had but a daughter and needed a son, or in his stead, a husband for the little girl that was fit to rule.

 

The obvious would be to betroth his youngest to her, that way a connection would remain and his own son would later be king, they could even merge together once both his sons rose to rule over both kingdoms. It was perfect.

 

It was the queen of all people who opposed. Sending Kyungsoo would prove more rewarding, he can be of influence in their rule was what she said, but as cunning as she tried to appear, she was but a mother who didn't wish to part from her baby.

 

That is how Do Kyungsoo was engaged to Kim Yeoreum.