Cafe Beauty

SR's Oneshot Collection

Yerin works as a full-time barista together with her friend Eunha. One day, she meets the most beautiful customer in her career and she is determined to get to know more about this certain customer, by writing the best - in her opinion- pickup lines she can think of on the cups of drinks ordered by the girl.


 

“Good morning, what can I get for you... today...” Yerin trailed off as she looked up from the cash register at the customer that was standing ever so elegantly in front of her. 

Never in her life has she seen someone more beautiful than this. Well, maybe she has but not in real life. 

The girl had sharp features that made her look cold. Her dark hair that draped over her shoulders contrasted against her pale skin. The girl tucked her hair behind her left ear, revealing a dangling silver earring. She was dressed in a long-sleeved, black dress which revealed her perfect figure. 

The girl’s lips parted to say something but Yerin was so captivated by her beauty that she didn’t hear it. 

“Sorry, what?” Yerin asked when she finally caught herself.

“Could I get a caramel macchiato?” She repeated with a gentle smile. There wasn’t even the slightest hint of annoyance in her voice. 

God, even her voice sounds perfect.

“Oh, yes, right away! Is that all?” Yerin said as she quickly diverted her attention to the cash register in an attempt to prevent herself from staring like a creep again. 

“Yep.” 

“That’ll be 4400₩,” Yerin said. She looked up once again and saw that the girl already had her hand extended over the counter with the exact amount. Yerin gingerly took the notes and opened her hand for the girl to give her the coins. 

Yerin’s hand almost jerked and dropped the coins when the girl’s finger brushed against her palm but she had to be professional, hence choosing to scream in her head instead. 

“Thank you, please proceed to the left to collect your drink,” Yerin said as naturally as she could before spinning around to prepare the girl’s drink. She managed to prepare the drink without knocking over or spilling anything which was a huge relief. 

“Here you go, have a great day!” Yerin chirped the standard greeting as she handed the girl her order. The girl smiled and nodded as she took the drink and walked towards the door. 

“So what’s her name?” A silky voice said in a teasing tone.

“N-name?” Yerin asked as her eyes followed the lovely figure walk out of the door and down the street till she was no longer in sight. She then turned to her barista friend who was leaning against the counter with both hands tucked into the pocket of her apron. “What name?” 

“What do you mean what name? You look ready to sell your soul to her but you don’t know her name?” The shorter girl asked. 

Then it occurred to Yerin that she had indeed forgotten to get the girl’s name. There wasn't a queue or any other orders to handle except hers, making Yerin completely forget that she was supposed to ask for the customer’s name so that they could call out for the drink when it was done. 

“Oh no!” Yerin wailed and slapped both her hands on her cheeks. 

“You forgot, didn't you?” The barista shook her head.

“She was too pretty and there weren't any customers so I clean forgot.” Yerin pulled her hands down, stretching her face. “Eunha-yah, what do I do?” 

“Chase after her and ask for her name?” Eunha raised an eyebrow. 

Yerin took the advice literally and almost walked off when Eunha slipped her fingers behind the crossed straps of Yerin’s apron, pulling the girl back.

“Were you really going to do that? She’s gonna think you’re crazy!” Eunha said when her friend turned around with a pout. 

“Then what do I do?” Yerin asked, sounding very desperate.

“I don’t know. Wait and see if she comes back again? I mean, from the look on her face earlier when she actually bothered repeating what she said while you were ogling at her without the slightest hint of irritation, there is a high possibility she would be back.” Eunha deduced. 

“What does that mean?” Yerin asked, not fully grasping the point.

“It means, she probably took some interest in you and will be back for another cup of coffee. Or she’s just a really nice and patient person in general. Who knows?” The shorter girl shrugged. 

“Really?” Yerin immediately perked up at what Eunha said, not noticing the chime of the bell.

“You’ll know when tomorrow comes,” Eunha said as she walked towards the counter to take the order of the new customer. 

Suddenly, Yerin was really excited for the next day of work.

 


 

Yerin fiddled with the strings on her apron as she paced around behind the counter. She totally wasn’t expecting a certain customer to walk through the doors. 

“Can I hit you with this?” Eunha asked and Yerin turned around to see the shorter girl holding up the blender. 

“No! That’s company property and it’s expensive!” Yerin took the blender away from Eunha and placed it back on the countertop. “Why would you want to anyway?”

“You’ve been walking around the whole morning Yerin. And every time the little bell above the door jingles you jump a bit but then get disappointed because it’s not your new favourite customer.” Eunha said and Yerin sighed. 

“I can’t help it... Are you sure she’s even coming back?” Yerin asked as she rested her chin on her palm. 

Just as she finished her sentence, the bell jingled and Eunha smiled at the customer that walked in. Yerin on the other hand, had her back facing the cashier as she sulked in dejection. 

“You sure you don’t want to turn around and jump this time?” Eunha teased and Yerin turned her head to look at the customer. It was her. She was here. 

Yerin’s eyes widened and she quickly turned her whole body around, stumbling slightly and banging her knee on the cabinet by accident. The girl giggled at Yerin’s movement, lowering her head slightly to let her hair cover her laughter. 

What a goddess.

The girl was dressed more casually this time, in just a simple loose black button-up tucked into a pair of white shorts.

“Take her order.” Eunha hissed and rolled her eyes as she pushed her friend forward.

“H-hi. What can I g-get for you?” Yerin stuttered with a grin. She was so ecstatic that she doesn’t feel the pain in her knee.

“Is your knee alright?” The girl asked, a slight smile lingering across her lips. 

“Is my what? Oh, my knee.” Yerin repeated and bent slightly to rub it as the pain slowly became obvious. “It’s fine! See? I can bend it.” She declared as she raised her leg to bend it a few times, causing the girl to laugh. 

“If you say so. Can I get a... Iced latte?” The girl said after scanning through the menu above Yerin’s head.

“Of course!” Yerin said. Just as she was about to collect the money, she felt Eunha nudge her a little. 

“Her name.” She mouthed when Yerin turned to give her a questioning look.

“Ah! Right! Can I have your name? S-so that I can write it on the cup.” Yerin said hastily.

“Eunbi.” The girl smiled. 

“E-eunbi?” Yerin repeated.

“Yea, why?” 

“Oh, no. It’s just that my friend here is called Eunbi too. Hey, who would have thought you two have the same name?” Yerin said as she slung her arm around Eunha and pulled the girl closer, causing her to stumble at the sudden force. She looked at Yerin who only gave an awkward laugh. 

“Ah I see, I go by SinB too if you may,” SinB said with a wide smile from witnessing the comedic pair.

“Oh, both are nice hehe.” Yerin beamed as she retracted her arm to scribble quickly on the plastic cup. 

“That’ll be 3600₩,” Yerin said as Eunha moved to prepare the drink. 

SinB dug through her wallet and handed Yerin a bunch of coins. The barista was a little more composed this time when their fingers brushed. She counted the change and nodded slightly to herself as she dropped it into the cash register. She pulled the receipt out from the machine and handed it to the girl.

“Thank you for coming!” She said, genuinely happy for Eunbi’s presence.

SinB smiled and nodded as she took the receipt and walked to Eunha who was waiting on the other side. 

“What a charmer hmm Eunbi?” Eunha teased and winked at the girl who took her drink. 

“I don’t know what you mean.” SinB chuckled at her friend before leaving the cafe. 

“How can someone be so gorgeous even when they’re dressed so casually.” Yerin sighed dreamily. 

“Hmm, 너무 신비에.*” Eunha laughed at her own pun but Yerin didn’t mind, all she could think of was her goddess SinB.

 


 

“Are you a banana? ‘Cause I find you appealing.” Yerin whispered to herself as she wrote the very, very lame pickup line on the plastic cup before preparing the drink for SinB. 

This has become a routine now. Yerin found out that the girl has a job near the cafe and she would come in on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays to get a drink. This meant that Yerin now loves those three days but hates the other two weekdays. But 3/5 days? She’ll settle for that.

One week after discovering this pattern, Yerin started to write pickup lines on the cups. Sometimes they were cheesy and lame but sometimes they were actually quite good. To her at least. 

“Enjoy your drink SinB-yah!” Yerin chirped as she slid the cup over the counter. SinB spun the cup around to read the pickup line and immediately snorted. 

“Did you think about this for a long time?” She asked as she poked the straw through the plastic lid.

“Not really. Just thought it was funny.” Yerin laughed awkwardly and waved as the girl shook her head with a smile and left for her workplace.

“I thought I would get diabetes from the amour of syrup in the coffees I have here but I think your interaction with her would increase my chances of actually getting diabetes.” Eunha smiled as she walked up to Yerin who was still looking at the door with a dreamy expression.

“I don’t know, she’s just so cute no matter what she does.” Yerin let out a small sigh.

“Why don’t you ask her out?” Eunha asked. “I mean, it’s pretty obvious you like her and I’m sure she knows. I’m also pretty sure she likes you too.” 

“But what if she’s just playing around with? Like, the friendly kinda flirting?” Yerin said, spinning the marker with her fingers.

“There’s only one way to find out isn’t there? SinB has been my friend for more than a decade now, I can guarantee you, 100%, she likes you.” Eunha said with utmost confidence. Yerin seemed to consider the barista’s words before coming to a decision.

“I shall ask her out this Thursday then,” Yerin said and pressed her lips together. 

“Finally! I’ll cover your shift no problem.” Eunha said with a huge smile.

 

════════════ ════════════

 

Thursday was finally here. Yerin sat at the small table near the counter and waited patiently for SinB to arrive. 

The bell jingled and Yerin grinned as SinB entered. 

“Not working today?” SinB said as she walked up to Yerin.

“I am but I want to ask you something,” Yerin said, standing up from the armchair. 

“What is it?” 

“Are you free later?” Yerin asked, surprised at herself that she didn’t stutter one bit.

“Later? I’m actually free now. It’s your lucky day, I’m not working today.” SinB laughed. 

“Really? Then will you... uh... will you go on a date with me?” Yerin said, fidgeting with her apron.

“Of course. I don’t see what could go wrong.” SinB smiled and Yerin almost jumped for joy if it weren’t for the other patrons in the cafe.

“Great! Let me get my stuff!” Yerin said and quickly ran into the staff lounge. She reappeared with a small sling bag hanging from her shoulder as she fixed her clothes after taking off the apron.

“Uh, you sure you can leave just like that?” SinB asked as she looked at Eunha who was watching them from behind the counter.

“Don’t worry about a thing, I can handle it. Just go have fun!” Eunha told them and smiled. 

“Shall we?” Yerin asked and SinB nodded. They waved at the cute barista before leaving the cafe. 

“What are we doing today?” SinB asked. 

“Hmm, I was thinking of picnic by the beach,” Yerin said as she dug through her bag for her car keys. 

“Picnic? I assume you came prepared?” SinB gave Yerin an amused smile. 

“Oh god, right. I almost forgot. Wait here.” Yerin smacked her forehead and ran back to the cafe. She was about to enter when Eunha appeared carrying a small basket. 

“I knew you’d forget something.” She sighed as she handed Yerin the basket.

“You’re a lifesaver. I owe you two!” Yerin hugged the girl and ran back to SinB who just smiled. 

They got into Yerin’s car and headed for the park nearby. 

“How long did you spend preparing this?” SinB asked, looking at the basket in the back seat. 

“Ah, just a few hours. But it’s worth.” Yerin smiled lightly. Anything for you is worth.

It was a short drive and before they knew it, they were already treading across the grass to a shady spot under a huge tree just before the sand.

“The weather seems great today,” SinB commented as she looked at the clear blue sky. The breeze was cool and the sound of waves lapping against the shore was calming. 

“It is.” Yerin hummed as she spread the blanket out over the grass. “Take a seat.” 

SinB looked down and saw that the girl had already sat down with her legs crossed and was taking out the food from the basket. She tugged at her jeans before taking a seat across from Yerin. 

It certainly wasn’t a feast but it was just enough for an afternoon snack. 

“I figured you could use some tea instead of coffee all the time,” Yerin said as she poured the steaming liquid from a flask into a small cup.

“That’s true. Thanks.” SinB laughed and took the cup. 

They sat in comfortable silence as they listened to the waves gently washing up the beach a short distance away. Yerin leaned against the trunk of the tree.

“No pickup lines for me today?” SinB asked and Yerin chuckled. 

“Do you want one?” 

“Why not?” 

Yerin tapped her finger on the cup she was cradling in her hands in thought. 

“I don’t know which is more breathtaking. The sky, the sea or you.” The barista said and looked at SinB who had her face scrunched up from the sheer cheesiness. 

“I really have to give it to you for your quick thinking.” SinB laughed and sipped her tea. 

“Thanks?” Yerin leaned forward and grabbed a sandwich, offering it to the girl who accepted it. She then took another and they began eating. 

“You know, that cup of coffee you made for me really gave me some sort of reassurance.” SinB suddenly said as she chewed her tuna sandwich.

“Which? I made you quite a few cups of coffee over the past two months.” Yerin replied, taking another bite. 

“The very first one. The caramel macchiato that you managed to prepare without messing up.” 

“Ah, that.” Yerin blushed slightly knowing that the girl was indeed watching her prepare the drink that day. “Why so?”

“I was going for an interview that day which was why I looked so formal.” SinB started. “I needed a cup of coffee to calm my nerves but I think watching you stare at me with your mouth slightly agape made me relax a lot more than the coffee.”

Yerin almost choked on her sandwich and quickly grabbed her tea, sipping it slowly. 

“I noticed the way your hand trembled when I gave you the change which was cute. You looked like you put your entire heart into making that one drink.” SinB smiled at the memory. 

“That I did. You were really beautiful in that dress.” Yerin admitted. 

“At least I made a lasting first impression huh? And now I know I look great for my interview.” She laughed. “Anyway, that one cup of coffee really gave me whatever I needed to prevent myself from messing up the interview. So I guess I owe my job to you.” 

“Ah don’t say that. It was just a cup of coffee I gave you. You won the interviewer over with your own words. And charms.” Yerin whispered the last part but SinB caught it. 

“I think I also won you over with my charms eh? And I don’t think you gave me just a cup of coffee. Am I right?” 

“Well... okay, maybe I did give you my heart too along with all that coffee. But it’s worth!” Yerin protested. SinB smiled and reached out to take Yerin’s hand into her own, rubbing the pad of her thumb across the back of the girl’s hand. 

“That’s fine. I think I accidentally gave you my heart along with some... spare change.” SinB said through slightly clenched teeth. She didn’t know what made her say such cheesy things all of a sudden but it still wasn’t her forte.

“Should I give it back?” Yerin giggled.

“I don’t plan on giving yours back so you should keep it for ransom.” SinB shook Yerin’s hand. 

“Hmm, that’s true. I shall then.” Yerin beamed. 

 

════════════ ════════════


“Eunha!” Yerin called out when she saw her friend. The girl was kneeling on the floor to lock the front door. 

“Oh? You’re back?” Eunha asked, surprised to see them back at the cafe. She looked at their faces which had the same bright smile and down at their hands which were interlocked. “I see that your picnic went better than expected?” 

“It did!” Yerin bounced on her feet, causing SinB to sway with the movement but the girl didn’t seem to mind. 

“Last long you two~” Eunha sang as she clasped her hands together. “You still managed to keep that charm after all these years.” 

“Of course! It’s my specialty.” SinB declared proudly. 

“But why are you two back here?” Eunha asked, genuinely curious. She thought they would have gone adventuring all night long. 

“To give you a lift home as gratitude. And to maybe get some supper. You up?” Yerin asked and nodded towards her car.

“Well.. if there’s food... I’m always in.” The barista giggled. 

“Let’s go!” Yerin chirped, slinging her arms around both girls. 

“You have a lot to fill me in on.” Eunha reminded the taller girl. 

“Yea yea we’ll get to that later,” Yerin said and opened the door for Eunha and SinB. 

Everything fell perfectly into place. Not exactly how she thought it would be but still, perfect.

 



[A/N] More fluff! Barista style~ :D

*Neomu sinb-e(So mysterious)  The classic pun on our oppa B's name :P