Gotta Catch Em’ All. (Pokemon Au)

I Promise This Isn’t A Cult

 

Rocky woke up to his mother opening his curtains wide open, the morning sun blinding him without remorse.

“It’s time to get out of bed! You don’t want to keep Professor Maple waiting now do you?” His mother chided with her hands on her hips. Rocky had turned 14 a few days ago, he was now at the age where he could start his very own journey and travel far and wide to catch his own pokemon to befriend and train. Rocky quickly changed his clothes and packed his backpack full of all the necessities he would ever need, for a normal sized backpack it could hold many things, even a bike… Bags in the pokemon universe are basically portals to an infinite dimension if you really think about… How else could someone fit 999 of every possible item in there. Dimensional backpacks aside, Rocky ran out the front door and headed to the town’s pokemon center. Since he didn’t live in the same town as Professor Maple he had to get his starter pokemon via magic pc teleportation because that’s also a thing in the pokemon universe apparently… (The more I think about how things work in the games the more questions arise.) The young boy slides past the automotive glass doors and almost crashes into another person but he dodges the person just in time.

“Sorry!” Rocky yells, he doesn’t wait for a reply, instead he goes straight to the pc. Boothing the machine up, he enters Professor Maple’s number and her face appears on the screen after the 3rd ring.

“Ah, Hello… Uhhh, Rocky, correct?” The pokemon expert smiled nervously, this was her 5th appointment today so excuse her if she doesn’t remember every single person she had to give a pokemon to

“Yup that’s me!” Rocky smiled.

“So your choices are,” Professor Maple pulled up a screen with the three options people get. “Charmander, Swinub, and Grimer…” Everyone got a different three pokemon to choose from depending on the day and time, the pokemon themselves came from other trainers donating them to a professor because they didn't want said pokemon. At least there wasn’t a Rattata or Magikarp, Rocky thought to himself.

“I’ll take the charmander!” Rocky chirped, bouncing on his heels.

“Okay, I’ll send it over.” Professor Maple placed the pokeball on the tray under the screen and a beam of light transferred the pokeball over to the other pc. “Good luck on your journey and have fun, goodbye.” The screen shut off and Rocky went to grab the pokeball out of the pc but there was something sitting a long side it. Did she send me something else as well? Rocky thought as he pulled both items out. One was the pokeball and the other was… a pokedex? It looked a little weird.

“Why would she send this?” Rocky mumbled to himself. Pokedexs were only given to a few select trainers, usually people who lived in the same town as the professor. “Oh well, it’s mine now.” Rocky shrugged and pocketed the device, he ran out of the pokecenter and to the open grassy field.

“Come on out.” Rocky said as he released the pokemon inside. “Whoa, you’re a weird looking charmander.” It looked more like a dinosaur than a salamander… Wait, animals aren’t a thing here…

“Yeah well, you don’t look too good yourself…” The charmander said crossing its arms.

“Holy ! You talk!” Rocky gasped. “What the .”

“Of course I talk!” The golden yellow dino yelled.

“But pokemon don’t talk, they just say their name!” The Pokey gods have lied to him.

“Well, I don’t. You got a problem with that?”

“N-no, it’s great that you talk!”

“Really?” The pokemon asked.

“Yeah!” Rocky said happily. “Do you also have a name?” Rocky asked, assuming a talking charmander would have a name.

“I’m Agumon.”

“Well, I’m Rocky! It’s nice to meet you Agumon.” What a weird name for a charmander but Rocky wouldn’t judge. They chatted a bit before coming up with a plan; Step one, catch a few more pokemon. Step two, train. Step three, challenge the nearest gym. Step four, ummmm, they’ll figure it out when they reach it. Step one was easier said than done. Rocky honestly felt bad for judging a pokemon based on their looks but if he was going to travel with them for a long time then he wanted to like them… Plus everyone does it and if someone says they don’t then they’re ing lying. Rocky and Agumon are riding down a hill on his bike when a rockruff pokes its head out of the tall grass, barking at them.

“Oh my god! It’s so cute!” Rocky yells out, slamming on the breaks.

“I want to squish its lil fluffy face.” Agumon coos. The rockruff walks over to the bike to sniff at it. Rocky pulls out a pokeball and drops it on the rockruff, squealing loudly when the cute pupper was caught instantly. Welcome to the team rockruff. The next member of their team joins when Rocky accidentally drops a pokeball onto a petilil when they were walking through a forest. Then Rocky catches a Mareep on their way to the next city.

“Hello.” Rocky greets the nurse Joy when he walks up to the counter.

“Hello, would you like to heal your pokemon.” The pink haired nurse asks with a gentle smile. Rocky only nods and hands over his pokemon. Loud shouting coming from outside catches Rocky’s attention and he quickly grabs his healed pokemon to go investigate. Some people dressed in royal purple and gold were trying to get away with a bag full of pokeballs. Rocky quickly sent out petilil and used vinewhip to trip the thieves. They thugs were handcuffed by the pursuing officer Jenny and whisked away to… Jail? (I don’t think I’ve ever seen a prison in pokemon before.) Or where ever they took criminals.

“That was some good thinking kid.” Someone patted Rocky’s shoulder, causing the boy to look over his shoulder.

“Y-Your, your Min-!” Rocky’s mouth was quickly covered and he was dragged into one of the cities alleyways.

“Sorry kid, but I can’t have people knowing I’m here.” The older boy said.

“Can I have your autograph?” Rocky asked with starry eyes, he was talking to THE Lee Minhyuk, the Champion of this region a.k.a the coolest person in the world. Well, at least to Rocky, he was the coolest, they shared the same name so the older boy had to be cool.

“Sure, how about I treat you to lunch as well, since you did save the day. Plus I feel bad for rudely dragging you into this alleyway.” Minhyuk smiled when Rocky cheered a loud yes. The older boy lead them to a nearby, hole in the wall diner.

“Hey Minhyuk!” Minhyuk yelled as he entered the cute diner. “Awww , you guys are here too?” Minhyuk groaned, Rocky was about to ask the older what he was upset about but a delcatty came up to greet them, he cooed at the adorable cat pokemon and kneeled down to pet her.

“Of course we’re here, When are we not here?” One of the men yelled back.

“You mean you’re always here, I actually have a life.” Another man said, Rocky looked up and instantly recognized him as well, it was Lee Minhyuk a.k.a BBomb, the famous actor. Maybe Rocky could get his autograph as well.

“Who’s the kid you brought along?” Another recognizable face asked, it was Minhyun, he’s won a bunch of contests and almost everyone says he’s one of the best coordinators in the world.

“This kid here, stopped a robbery so I thought it would be nice to treat him to lunch. Is Minhyuk in the kitchen?” Minhyuk patted Rocky on the shoulder again.

“I’m Rocky, it’s nice to meet all of you.” Rocky greeted, Minhyuk chuckled and lead the younger boy to the table everyone was sitting at.

“Is it safe to assume that you already know these two?” Minhyuk pointed at Bbomb and Minhyun, Rocky nodded.

“Do you know who I am?” The only person Rocky didn’t know asked, he shook his head. “I’m Minhyuk, the owner of this diner is also named Minhyuk and we have another Minhyuk coming here as well, he’s the 6th gym leader.” Minhyuk(Mx) said with a large grin.

“Oh, what a surprise, my real name is also Minhyuk.” Rocky added with a chuckle.

“Oh thank god, I was about ask what your parents were thinking when they named you.” BBomb snorted.

“You know, I get that a lot.” Rocky said as he sat down in one of the chairs.

“Rocky is almost as bad as naming a kid Sparky.” BBomb slumped in his chair, remembering that one poor soul who was actually named Sparky.

“So are you going to join our cult?” Minhyuk(Mx) asked, wiggling his eyebrows.

“E-excuse me?” Rocky asked.

“It’s not really a cult, we just hang out sometimes.” Minhyuk(BtoB) explained before Minhyuk(Mx) could make up some bull story.

“We call it the Minhyuk cult, only people named Minhyuk can join.” Minhyuk(Mx) explained, leaning back in his chair.

“Then how is Minhyun in it?” Rocky asked, looking at the pretty coordinator.

“It’s only one letter.” Minhyuk(Mx) shrugged.

“More like, you didn’t want to be the youngest.” BBomb snorted.

“But if Rocky joins, then he’ll be the youngest.” Minhyun added.

“So, what do you say Rocky, you wanna join us?” Minhyuk(BtoB) grinned and held his hand out, Rocky shook it before even thinking this all the way through.

“What am I missing?” Another boy walks out from the back room, rolling over a cart filled with food.

“We have another Minhyuk joining the cult. This is Rocky!” Minhyuk(Mx) chirped.

“Oh, that’s nice.” The boy said as he placed all the plates of food on the table before sitting down himself. “I’m Minhyuk, the owner of this diner. You can stop by anytime you want.” He smiled warmly.

“Hey, you ers better have not started eating without me!” Minhyuk(M6) yelled as he entered the diner.

“I just set the food down calm down, no need to yell, geez.” Minhyuk(CnB) replied.

“Sorry, but you know these bottomless pits always finish the food before I get here.” Minhyuk(M6) pouted as he sat down at the table as well.

“Maybe you should get here on time for once.” Minhyun suggested.

“Whatever.” Minhyuk(M6) grumbled, looking around the table.“Who’s this?” he asked when he spotted the new face.

“I’m Rocky.” The youngest boy said.

“He’s also a Minhyuk.” Minhyuk(Mx) chirped.

“Ahhh new blood, nice. So what’s your plans Rocky?” Minhyuk(M6) asked right away.

“I think I’m going to challenge the gyms? I just started a few days ago.” Rocky replied.

“That’s always the fun part, figuring out your passions.” Minhyuk(BtoB) sighed, looking back at his past adventures.

“I can’t wait to battle you, if you do choose to challenge the gyms.” Minhyuk(M6) stated.

“If you’re ever interested in contests, hit me up, I’ll show you the ropes.” Minhyun smirked, he always wanted an apprentice.

“There’s more to life then gym battles and contests.” BBomb snorted while Minhyuk(CnB) and Minhyuk(Mx) nodded in agreement.

“What do you do Minhyuk?” Rocky asked, Minhyuk(Mx).

“I work at the daycare! I have a few babies on me right now if you want to see them.” Minhyuk(Mx) said in a singsong voice, the youngest Minhyuk nodded his head. With a quick toss, Minhyuk(Mx) released all his pokemon. The newly hatched Azurill, Cubone, Eevee, and Pichu wandered around the table greeting everyone under the careful watch of Minhyuk(Mx) and his trusty Audino.

“They’re so cute!” Rocky exclaimed, petting the Pichu.

“Thanks!” Minhyuk(Mx) let the comment boost his ego even higher.

“Can I see everyone else's pokemon as well?” Rocky asked with bright starry eyes, his excitement was impossible to say no to.

“Well, you’ve already met my Delcatty but I’ll call over Pyroar and Liepard.” Minhyuk(CnB) whistled and the two large cat pokemon came into the room, going straight to their trainer and butter their heads against his legs.

“So cool.” Rocky whispered as scratched under Liepard’s chin.”

“My turn!” Minhyun didn’t waste any time letting out his pokemon. His Cool Mightyena, Beautiful Alolan Ninetales, Tough Nidoking, Cute Vaporeon, and Clever male Meowstic all took center stage. There was something about Minhyun’s pokemon that made them stand out from all pokemon in general and this made Rocky admire them even more.

“It’s like they’re magical or something.” He mumbled under his breath.

“Nah, they’re just well groomed.” Minhyuk(Mx) said but was quickly slapped on the backside of his head by Minhyun.

“Yes, my pokemon are absolutely magical, aren’t they.” Minhyuk tutted and Rocky agreed fully.

“I’m a ghost type gym leader so try not to get spooked.” Minhyuk(M6) joked as his Mimikyu, Banette, and Decidueye were let out of their pokeballs. “My Banette can mega evolve but sadly I can’t use it during official gym battles.” Minhyuk sighed.

“That’s so cool, my charmander can also mega evolve! Was Decidueye your starter?” Rocky asked.

“Yeah, he was. I think all of us kept our starters.” Minhyuk(M6) looked around the room and everyone nodded their heads. ‘Wait, did you say your charmander can mega evolve?”

“Yeah! I’ll show you after, so who was everyone’s starter pokemon?”

“I was given a skitty for my 5th birthday.” Minhyuk(CnB) smiled fondly, petting his beloved Delcatty.

“I picked Nidoran as my starter from the professor, a lot of people were surprised when I started competing in contests with him.” Minhyun laughed at the memories of him struggling through his first few contest.

“It was either Audino or a Rattata and I think I picked the right partner if I do say so myself.” Minhyuk(Mx) smiled proudly, the two of them practically run the daycare now.

“I’ll show you my pokemon and let you guess which one was my starter.” Minhyuk(BtoB) said, he had the most pokemon so far, having a full 6mon team. Then again he was the champion. Rocky looked at each pokemon from left to right: Noivern, Escavalier, Garchomp, Houndoom, Gardevoir and finally a Magikarp? Rocky noticed the 2 mega stones hanging on Minhyuk’s(BtoB) necklace. From his knowledge, out of all Minhyuk’s pokemon only two could mega evolve, Houndoom and Gardevoir but then again Gyarados can also mega evolve so that’s probably why Minhyuk has a Magikarp. One of the stones had a pinkish hue to it so Rocky guessed.

“Was it Gardevoir?”

“Nope, I got him when I started dating my boyfriend. We wanted to do the whole matching pokemon thing. He has a Gallade.” Minhyuk(BtoB) giggled with a slight blush on his face.

“To bad they’re both male, they could have had some powerful kids.” Minhyuk(Mx) pouted.

“Are you belittling our lovely pair just because they can’t breed?” Minhyuk(BtoB) asked with a sinister voice.

“Hahaha, nope! They are amazing! Ignore me, that was just my daycare/breeder brain talking.” Minhyuk(Mx) Continued to nervously laugh until the older boy looked away.

“Then who was your starter?” Rocky asked, causing Minhyuk(BtoB) to focus back on him.

“It was magikarp.” Minhyuk smirked when he saw Rocky’s confused face. “Before I chose my starter pokemon from the professor there was a festival in my city. One of my friends, Sungjae, won this magikarp at a booth. He was too young to start his own journey so he wanted me to take the magikarp to remember him by. I beat all the gyms and the elite four with only this magikarp. It was such an embarrassing defeat that they never broadcasted the real battle, instead they made me redo it but this time using other pokemon as well.” Minhyuk chuckled loudly before he gently placed his hand on Rocky’s shoulder. “It doesn’t matter how ‘strong’ a pokemon is, what matters is that you find the pokemon you cherish and with that bond nothing can stand in your way.” Rocky nodded his head, those words really made him think about his pokemon. He really did love his new friends, maybe one day they would be as strong as Minhyuk(BtoB) and his Magikarp (Which is named Sungjae btw).

“Well, that was touching and all but is it my turn yet?” BBomb asked.

“Yes please.” Rocky smiled, excitement returning. BBomb has filmed with a lot of different pokemon so the younger really wanted to see which pokemon the older owned.

“I’ll introduce you to my starter frist.” BBomb threw one pokeball and out came a pokemon Rocky has never seen.

“This is Silvally, he was a man made pokemon. I stole one when I went on a field trip with my other classmates to some Aether Foundation or something.” BBomb shrugged.

“I still can’t believe you went to a pokemon school” Minhyuk(BtoB) snorted.

“You’re just jealous I got to start my journey before you.” BBomb retorted as he released his other pokemon. Rocky blinked at the older’s pokemon. Sure the Luxray and Scolipede were normal but he wasn’t expecting a Porygon2 and another pokemon he didn’t recognize… Was it even a pokemon? It looked more like a rejected tetris block.

“Ummm?” Rocky didn’t even know what to say.

“What? My porygon2? Yeah I get a lot of questions about him. Actually all my pokemon help me out with my job. They make sure everything runs smoothly.” BBomb say nonchalantly.

“I think he was talking about MissingNo.” Minhyuk(CnB) butts in.

“Oh! Yeah, I have no ing clue about it.” BBomb smiles sheepishly. “It sort of came out of nowhere and stuck around so my friend Jiho told me to keep it.” Rocky just nodded his head, not wanting to even question the “pokemon”.

“So do we get to meet your pokemon now?” Minhyuk(M6) asked, he’s been dying to see this charmander that can apparently mega evolve.

“Oh yeah! I’ll bring them out.” Rocky threw his four pokeballs. Agumon, Mareep, Petilil, and Rockruff looked around the room in amazement, they’ve never been around such strong pokemon before. “Hey Agumon, they want to see you mega evolve.” Rocky informs his starter pokemon. Everyone stares at his “charmander.”

“Should we tell him that’s not a charmander?” Minhyuk(Mx) whispers to Minhyuk(BtoB), who shrugs his shoulders in return.

“Do I get lunch afterwards?” Agumon asks, causing everyone to make varying noises of shock and surprise.

“Can we feed our pokemon afterwards?” Rocky asked politely.

“Sure, we can have a celebration for our new members.” Minhyuk(CnB) answers.

“So are we going to do the thing?” Rocky asks Agumon.

“Yeah, I feel like showing off a bit.” Agumon grins. Rocky pulls out his pokedex and points it at Agumon, a bright light engulfs the pokemon as music starts to play (The song is called Braveheart). Soon enough the light disappears and standing tall is WarGreymon, Everyone stares at the “Pokemon.”

“I’m sorry to tell you this Rocky, but that’s not a pokemon.” BBomb says.

“I know, charmander is just his disguise.” Rocky answers. “WarGreymon is a digimon.”

“What is a digimon?” Minhyun askes.

“A digital monster, basically a pokemon that goes into the pc.” Rocky smirks.

“And here I thought I knew everything there was to pokemon.” Minhyuk(Mx) said.

“What are you talking about? You barely know about pokemon.” BBomb argues and the two start bickering back and forth. Wargreymon turns back into Agumon and Minhyuk(CnB) takes that as the sign to start making the pokemon lunch. Minhyuk(BtoB) and Minhyun ask Rocky and Agumon questions about Digimon while Minhyuk(M6) wonders if he could get a ghost digimon. All in all, it was just another normal day in the pokemon universe.

Pokemon Teams: The numbers are the pokemon's levels.

Minhyuk (BtoB) (Champion): Magikarp(100), Noivern(64), Escavalier(64), Garchomp(66), (Mega)Houndoom(67), (Mega)Gardevoir(67).

BBomb (BlockB) (Actor): Porygon2(32), Silvally(49), Scolipede(45), Luxray(36), MissingNo.(99)

Minhyuk (CnB) (Diner Owner): Pyroar (50), Liepard(49), Delcatty(55)

Minhyuk (Map6) (Ghost/6th Gym Leader): Mimikyu(38), (Mega)Banette(38), Decidueye(36)

Minhyuk (MonX) (DayCare Worker): Pichu(1), Eevee(1), Azurill(1), Cubone(10) Audino(44)

Minhyun (Nu’est) (Coordinator): Mightyena(Cool), Alolan Ninetales(Beauty), Nidoking(tough), Vaporeon(Cute), Male Meowstic(Clever)

Rocky (Astro) (Trainer): Rockruff (11), Petilil(9), Mareep(9), Charmander(Agumon)


(A/N): Growing up I loved the pokemon games but I was definitely a digimon anime type gal. I’ve seen episodes of the pokemon show (mostly Johto tbh) but I’ve seen every episode of every season for digimon. So being the crazy mastermind I am, I decided to give Rocky a digimon.

You don’t know how long I’ve been planning this, it had taken me awhile to make up the teams since I wasn’t show how to go about it. Do I use any pokemon I want? Do I use the most popular ones? In the end, I just wrote down a list of all the pokemon I liked and narrowed it down to the current teams based on what role I gave them. I would have nicknamed them as well but I’m at coming up with names.

Why did I picked Agumon to be Rocky’s digimon, you ask. Well, it was mostly due to Agumon being the most famous digimon, since I know that digimon is much less popular than Pokemon. plus Agumon gets compared to charmander a lot so it makes sense to switch them.

Also I didn’t know that all of the game protags started their journey at age 10 (expect for black&white) I thought that was a little too young so I bumped it up to 14.