•2•

The artistry of royalty

The nights crisp air brought up goose pimples on your skin as you sat and listened to Namjoon talk about constellations. "Namjoon, where do you and your father live?" You questioned him.

"As you know we lived in the castle but now we live on a farm not far from here. I'm only on this roof for the view."

You know the farm he speaks of, you also know there is no luxuries like hot water there. "Bathe with me?" You propose. Namjoon looks at you, rather shocked at your bluntness.

Even in the darkness you notice his cheeks and the bridge of his nose flushed red. You decide you like that.

He agrees and he helps you across the roof, even though you got out there perfectly fine, and into your bedroom. The hot water is filling up rapidly and the bubbles are high.

"Are you going first?" He says and rubs his elbow, a nervous habit of his. "No, we are going in together!" You inform him, giggling a little bit when he shows a scared reaction.

He clears his throat and closes his eyes. "Your majesty, this is highly inappropriate." He tells you in his most stern voice. "_____. To you I am only the Queen when others are around. Otherwise I am _____."

Namjoon nods at you shyly and says your name out loud. "Get undressed then, let's get in." You tell him. Namjoon doesn't suspect you're being serious until you removed your nightdress and stood before him in your underwear.

He also undresses but with his back turned to you. "Shy?" You . "No, of course not!" He nervously huffs.

With the rest of your clothes off you hop into the bath and settle your shoulders under the water with your eyes closed.

A little time passes and you don't feel Namjoon get in so you open your eyes. "Get in silly." You gently command him.

He jumps in behind you and you nestle into him. “Isn’t this nice Namjoon?” He says yes in the quickest way possible.

“I-I also wanted to let you know that your mother has lined up some suitors for you to marry.” Namjoon told you; you could have swore you detected some jealousy? Nahhhh....

“I have no wish to marry without affection.” You retort. “And how....do you know when...you feel for someone?” The tone of his voice was far to shy for who Namjoon normally was.

You turn your face to see Namjoon with his face close to your shoulder. “You look in their eyes,” you begin, staring Namjoon in his eyes. “and if you feel something weird in your stomach, you like them. Want them.” You finish by dropping your eyes to his lips.

“Am I right in thinking that we are having a moment here?” He smirked and run his hands down the backs of your arms. “Kiss me and find out.” You whisper.

Namjoon snakes his hand around the back of your neck and pulls you in for the softest kiss. You feel the feeling in your stomach that you told Namjoon about moments ago. He pulls back and looks you dead in the eye. “I felt it.” He tells you.

The problem is: what will you both do? It is a straight fact that the two of you have had this romantic magnetism for years now and this kiss just proved it to all be real.

A monarch and a painter. Your mother wouldn’t allow it. Your mother, the public, everyone wouldn’t be able to accept this.

“ I felt it too. That was a nice kiss.” You chuckle. “But the bath water is cold now so we should take this elsewhere.” Namjoon proposed with a wiggle of his eyebrows.

He hopped out of the bath and picked you up from the water bridal style. “Your chambers await us your majesty.” He smiled and walked, slipping on the marble floor a few times. “Put me down you loon!” You cried with laughter.

Once under the heavy covers of the blanket, the two of you rested in each other’s arms. “I love the colour of your skin.” He smiled as he drew patterns on your hip with his finger.

You smiled with your eyes closed and took his hand. “What do you think about being king?” You blurted. You opened your eyes and he was looking at you like you were crazy. “K-King? Me? There’s no way anyone would allow that.”

You nodded and agreed. “A woman can dream can’t she?” You smiled dejectedly. “You completely skipped over the part that for me to be king, you’d have to marry me.

He had you there. You’ve known each other for nearly two decades. But would you marry him? “I know. I think you’re my childhood sweet heart. We played together, laughed together, cried together. Is it so shocking that I want us to be wed?” You told him. It was true. You could marry him right now and be content for the rest of your days.

Namjoon pauses to think about the question. “No, I want you to be my wife. I do.” He revealed and kissed you. “I guess...I don’t want to get my hopes up.” You hushed him and cuddled up to him.

“Let us sleep now.” You told him. With a final kiss. You drifted off to sleep.