Face Off

Rock, Paper & Scissors

Tiffany snapped into action after Taeyeon picked up the microphone and restarted the set after apologizing to the patrons in the club. The nerve of this singer to continue with the set as though nothing had happened. Taeyeon the was getting worse by the minute. Tiffany decided she had to do something about this singer. And Yuri had to know.

o|v

“How are you not angry about this?” Tiffany spluttered in disbelief. “And why are you laughing?”

Yuri was in a serious bout of bent-over laughter. Long black hair spilled over broad shoulders, and her well-toned arms wrapped around what Tiffany knew was an equally well-toned stomach, much admired by many.

“Yuri. Stop laughing and talk to me.”

Yuri shook her head, unable to speak for a moment.

“Seriously. What the hell?”

“T-Taeyeon?” Yuri wheezed. “With a dude?”

“The poor girl’s brother was in a rage. Everyone was shocked. And once the news gets out—” Tiffany stopped and huffed. “You said you have big goals for this place. You want to bring in the biggest bands, get the biggest crowds. This isn’t the way to go if that’s what you want.”

“Fany, don’t know you anything about Taeyeon at all? Didn’t you have a private one-on-one session with all of them?”

“About that,” Tiffany rolled her eyes, “she was totally rude to me. She ignored all my questions. I asked Sooyoung and she said Taeyeon isn’t usually that rude but what am I supposed to think if that is gonna shove her stinkin’ attitude in my face every single time I see her?”

Yuri laughed even harder.

“Kwon Yuri! What the heck are you laughing about!”

“It’s so funny.”

“What’s so funny.”

“You. And Taeyeon.”

“I don’t find any of this funny.”

“Babe, let’s clear this up one at a time, okay?” Yuri straightened up even though there was still a huge grin on her face. “Firstly. The last thing Taeyeon will do is sleep with anybody’s boyfriend.”

“But—”

Yuri’s hand halted Tiffany. “Listen. The more likely story is Taeyeon was dating the dude’s sister and had just dumped the girl or something like that.”

Tiffany’s jaw fell open. “What?”

“Taeyeon has always dated girls. It’s been this way for as long as I’ve known her. You know those girls that flock to the dance floor whenever G Gen is up?”

Tiffany nods slowly as the jigsaw pieces begin to fit.

“Yeah, who do you think they’re there for? And why are they all screaming for Taeyeon?”

“Not all of them are flocking to Taeyeon though. I’ve seen them going for the drummer and—well, every member, basically.”

“Yeah, but surely you can tell the difference? The girls who go for Taeyeon.”

“I admit, they are wilder.” Tiffany made a face. “Does she date them?”

Yuri grinned. “Do you think she’s that easy?”

Tiffany shrugged. “I don’t know her well enough. That’s why I’m asking you.”

“So why don’t you get to know her better?”

“I already tried. She’s the one who got up in my face with her attitude.”

“Try again. It’s not like you to give up so easily.”

“I don’t give up easily. But she isn’t worth trying so hard for.”

Yuri’s grin only widened. “Then take it as a challenge. I’m challenging you to break past her hard shell and get inside. It’s your job. Get it done.”

“Fine. It’s my job. I’ll do it.”

“That’s the Tiffany I know and hired.”

o|v

The set had ended by the time Tiffany was done talking to Yuri. She contemplated approaching the singer but decided against it. If Taeyeon was already hostile to her on an ordinary day, she’d probably snap and break her neck after what happened tonight. Besides, there’s always.

After packing up her work station, Tiffany picked her bag up and called it a night. It has been a long day. She had met and interviewed four bands and spoken to council people in the afternoon before milling around and socializing with a ton of patrons tonight. Her feet were killing her.

o|v

‘Finally’ was the only word in Taeyeon’s head when she finally returned to the band’s booth after their set.

“You feeling okay now?” Hyo asked, putting an arm around her shoulder a little awkwardly.

Taeyeon chuckled at the adorable attempt to comfort and patted Hyo’s hand. “Don’t worry. I’m fine.”

The drummer extracted her arm. “Great. Don’t let it get you down. We all know you’re not like that.”

“Great job, Taeyeon. You did well till the end.”

Taeyeon smiled at Sooyoung and Seo who had entered the booth too. “Thanks, Sooyoung. And thanks, Seo. Thanks for protecting me.”

Seo simply smiled and shook her head, modest as always. “I hope he doesn’t appear ever again.”

“I’ll make sure he doesn’t.”

“Hey, don’t do anything stupid,” warned Sooyoung.

Taeyeon rolled her eyes. “I don’t do stupid things.”

“Like starting a feud with the PR manager for nothing?”

“I didn’t start a feud with her.”

“Whatever you wanna call it. It’s stupid to be at loggerheads with her and you know that. But you’re like a stubborn old dog who won’t learn new tricks.”

“Hey, I’m not like a stubborn old dog.”

“Oh yeah?”

“Yeah.”

“Then make it up with Tiffany. Or I’ll never let you rest in peace.”

Taeyeon threw a peanut at the tall guitarist, making sure to aim for her pert little nose. “ off, long neck.”

Sooyoung caught the peanut and threw it right back, hitting Taeyeon on her forehead. “You’re dead, short punk.”

It was this fashion they left the bar in, ribbing each other, when they came upon a woman being confronted by a group of three women, in the dim alley behind.

“!”

Exchanging glances, Taeyeon and her band members walked past the scene quietly. Fights were common in this place where people got drunk and it was unwise to get involved in any of them. But Taeyeon looked back again when she heard the distinct sound of a slap and caught sight of a familiar contour. Even in the shadows. That sharp nose. And that distinct jaw. Those pouty lips. She knew that face well after staring at it so many times. There was no mistake. The woman was mana.

“Hey! Whatcha doin’!” she yelled at the group of women without a second thought.

“None of your business. Move on.”

Taeyeon ignored the order. Two steps later, she realized who it was. “Seureo. It’s you.” Looking between mana and the waitress, Taeyeon was confused. “Why did you slap her?”

“Taeyeon! What are you—” Sooyoung’s voice faded off along with the flurry of footsteps. “Seureo? T-Tiffany? What’s going on?”

A sense of security filled Taeyeon’s chest, knowing that her band members were with her. “Seureo, tell us. What’s going on?”

“This got me fired.”

“She got you fired?”

“This was unhappy I asked her to clean your booth up so she got me fired.”

“That’s not true at all,” Tiffany protested.

“Shut up! You deserve to be slapped!”

Taeyeon put her hand up. “Seureo, I don’t like this mana either but the truth is the truth. She didn’t get you fired.”

“Mana?” Seureo started to laugh. “Taeyeon, you’re always so cute. Mana, that’s a good one.”

“ or not, she didn’t get you fired,” Taeyeon emphasized.

“Oh yeah? Then why was I fired the very next day after that?”

“It’s the finances,” Sooyoung interjected. “The boss gotta let a few people go.”

“Then it’s still because of her. The boss gotta pay her salary with mine.”

Sooyoung put an arm around Seureo. “You know us, right? We wouldn’t speak up for this mana. She’s new. You’ve been with us much longer. But like Taeyeon said, what’s real is real. The bar gotta let you go because of restructuring and all those complicated business costs. I talked to the boss just yesterday. She said she really didn’t wanna let any of you go but she thought you’d be able to get another job since you’re experienced and so capable.”

“The boss said that?”

Sooyoung nodded with wide open eyes of earnestness. “That’s exactly what the boss said. You’re the senior. Who else can find a new place faster than you? And who else can manage all those stupid waitresses better than you?”

“Of course they can’t,” Seureo replied, chin high. “Those stupid waitresses couldn’t last a day out on their own.”

“Exactly.”

Turning back to Tiffany, Seureo growled. “Count yourself lucky today. If not for Taeyeon and Sooyoung, your ugly face would’ve been slapped a lot more tonight.” With that, Seureo signalled her two friends and walked away.

“You alright?” Taeyeon asked Tiffany once Seureo was gone. Not once had the mana looked up and it was a little worrying.

“Thank you,” said Tiffany in a small voice and the next thing Taeyeon knew, Tiffany’s face was in hers, round eyes red and cheeks redder.

“If you’re okay, we’ll be going,” Taeyeon said awkwardly, not quite knowing what to do with a face like that. She made to turn around but arms shot out and wrapped around her waist, followed by a head smashing onto her shoulder from behind.

“Don’t leave just yet,” Tiffany mumbled, voice still small like a dependent little girl. “Please.”

Not knowing what else to do, Taeyeon put her hands over Tiffany’s and said, “Okay.”

o|v