Remember

Rock, Paper & Scissors

The next morning, Tiffany woke up in her bed. Unlike other mornings, she didn’t hop out of bed and start her day with a smile. Instead, she stayed in bed and stared. With her eyes on her bare ceiling, she thought about the stars stuck on Taeyeon’s ceiling. It was one of the child-like sides of Taeyeon that belied the rough, tough image she projected as a rock singer.

An oxymoron. That was the Taeyeon she was getting to know better. A woman who enjoyed rough humour. A woman who could be bone-melting sweet. A woman who could hold her own fort. A woman who secretly liked to be fussed over. Taeyeon was a bit of everything. She was intriguing.

And she sensed that the singer was sussing her out as well. Testing her boundaries. Testing her depth. Taeyeon had a strange way of doing it and it seemed hostile at times, but Tiffany realized that by standing up to Taeyeon and establishing her own ground, she was learning a lot about herself too.

Pulling her arms up over her head, Tiffany stretched lazily and finally got out of bed. She was glad to have this morning to think things through in the light of day. It was a good thing Sunny hadn’t been awake when they returned and she managed to talk Taeyeon into letting her go home. Some distance was required, she decided. Because every moment with Taeyeon was exciting and unpredictable and a little bit like a battle and she needed some time to calm down.

The rest of the morning proceeded like any other, and she was in the middle of a deep stretching yoga session when her phone lit up. Taeyeon’s name was flashing on it. Why was she calling?

“Good morning, rocker.”

A chuckle came through. “What happened to ‘idiotae’?”

“It’s too early for these names. What’s up?”

“I’m hungry.”

“What do you expect me to do about that?”

“Are you hungry?”

“Kind of.”

“Wanna grab brunch together?”

“Where?”

“Our café.”

Our café?”

“The one where we met.”

“You mean the one where you secretly sketched questionable pictures of me?”

“Sure. If you wanna put it that way.”

Tiffany couldn’t help laughing. “Alright, but do you need help going there?”

“Sunny will drop me off.”

“Great. See ya.”

o|v

Taeyeon hobbled into the café as smartly as she could. Her pride had been wounded but she wasn’t about to let it show. A woman was as strong as she appeared. This was something she learnt early on in life and it has served her well all these years.

She took the corner seat and pulled her hoodie over her head. Then, she laid her sketchbook on the table and waited with a pencil in hand. The door opened a few times and each time she looked up but it wasn’t the woman she was waiting for.

Until now.

At last.

Her pencil moved rapidly, transferring the image caught by her eyes onto paper. Soft, brown hair. Strong eyebrows. Double-lidded, bright eyes. Pert nose. Luscious lips. Beautiful smile. Broad shoulders. Curves. Curves. Curves.

“Is this how I should expect to be greeted from now on?”

Taeyeon spared a quick moment to flash a grin. “Just stand there for a moment.”

“I feel like I’m being punished for something I didn’t do.”

“Oh, you did something for sure.”

“What did I do?”

“You stole my attention.”

“Only your attention?”

“You led me astray.”

I led you astray?” Tiffany laughed. “How do I lead someone who’s already astray, astray?”

“You lured me into a dark alley and stole my heart.”

“Can I sit down now? People are beginning to stare.”

“Wait.” Taeyeon worked her pencil over the page furiously and got down the last before heaving a sigh of relief. “Okay. You can sit now.”

“Thank you.”

Taeyeon smiled and reached into her bag for the sketch she had promised Tiffany. She slid it across the table to her, then sat back and smiled as Tiffany gushed over it.

“Oh my God, this is absolutely—”

“Atrocious?”

“Are you kidding?” Tiffany shook her head. “How could this be atrocious? This should be hung on a wall somewhere.”

“You can put it up on your wall if you want.”

“I think I will.”

Taeyeon nodded and put her sketchbook away.

“What about that?”

“This?” Taeyeon held up her sketchbook.

“Yeah, what are you gonna do with it?”

Taeyeon grinned. “That’s for my personal consumption.”

“Can I have a look?”

“Okay,” she said and handed the book over.

“Wow.”

“It’s just a sketch.”

“Do I really look this beautiful in your eyes?”

“What I see is what I draw.”

Tiffany closed the book and returned it to her. “Do you know how that makes me feel?”

“How?” Taeyeon asked as she kept her book safe in her bag.

“It makes me feel loved.”

Taeyeon cleared . “It’s not that deep.”

“I’ve had my portrait drawn by street artists before. Those are very good, but yours is special.”

“That’s because I’m better than them.”

“Would it hurt you to admit that you look at me in a special way?”

“Do you really need to hear it from me?”

Tiffany folded her arms. “You can drop the façade and just tell me the truth, you know. I’m not afraid to tell you it’s your drawings that drew me in. Pun unintended.”

“So it wasn’t my ravishing good looks?”

“That played a small part, yes.”

Taeyeon couldn’t help grinning. “Just a small part?”

“Believe it or not, it really is your drawing that got me. It’s the way you draw me. And the details you notice and bring out in your drawings. I’m flattered by it.”

“That’s superficial.”

“Superficial or not, that’s my reason. What about you? Which part of me attracted you?”

“Your tough shell.”

Tiffany sat up straight. “What?”

“That slapping incident. I thought you handled it pretty well.”

“You liked me since that time?”

“More like, stopped hating you.”

Tiffany pouted. “Cut me some slack, will you?”

Taeyeon chuckled. “This is why I like you.”

“Huh?”

“You don’t let me get away with it. You’ll chase me down the street and make me crash into bicycles. You hunt me down and never let it go.”

“I’m good at that. I’ll hold on and never let go.”

Taeyeon took in the smile on Tiffany’s face and couldn’t help smiling too.

“Will you tell me more about your situation?”

“You’re not gonna let go till I tell you, huh.”

Tiffany’s smile widened. “You know me well.”

“Not today. Tomorrow, maybe?”

“I’ll won’t let go, remember that.”

Taeyeon laughed. “I’ll remember it forever.

o|v