Contrary To

Rock, Paper & Scissors

The restaurant was in the upscale zone of the city. The classy black décor and dim lighting made Tiffany wonder about Taeyeon and Jieun’s relationship. Did friends dine in such romantic settings? This restaurant looked more like the kind of place she would bring a new girlfriend to for a first date. Or a proposal date.

Taeyeon was sitting at the table reserved under Jieun’s name and Tiffany waved a hello as she approached. “Sorry, I’m a little late.” She took a seat and looked around. “Where’s Jieun?”

“She’s not coming.”

“Why not?”

“Something came up.”

“Oh.” Tiffany thought it a little fishy there wasn’t a third chair at the table but she went along with it. “So, what’s good to eat here?”

“Have you eaten here before?”

Tiffany shook her head. “I haven’t had much time to explore this city yet.”

“Right, I forgot you only moved here recently.”

“And work has been busy.”

“Actually, I’ve only been here once.”

“Let’s ask the waiter for recommendations.”

After a round of recommendations, Tiffany made her choice along and so did Taeyeon. The waiter left them alone again and Tiffany played with her fingers in the silence that ensued. Things were weird between them. She had never been this unsure about where she stood with someone before.

She didn’t know what Taeyeon wanted. Neither was she sure about herself. She wasn’t sure if she wanted to keep up with the forwardness at this point. It was as though Taeyeon were stringing her along into nothing. Getting hurt was likely if she let herself sink too deep into this.

“Why are you so quiet?” Taeyeon asked suddenly.

“I was waiting for you to say something.”

“That’s not like you.”

“Do you know me that well already?”

“I know you’re chatty.”

Tiffany was ticked by Taeyeon’s confident nonchalance. “Not always.”

“So what does it mean when you’re quiet?”

Tiffany raised a brow. Was Taeyeon actually asking about her? This was a first. “It means I’m thinking.”

“What were you thinking about?”

“People.”

“Which people?”

Tiffany decided to stop playing the game. “You.”

Taeyeon’s brows shot up. “Me?”

“Who else would I be thinking about when I’m here with you?”

The rock singer’s mouth opened and closed. But she was saved from answering by the waiter arriving to serve their dinner. Silence returned as they started on their steaks and Tiffany closed her eyes to savour the richness of the gravy.

“It’s that nice, huh.”

Tiffany opened her eyes. Taeyeon was staring at her with eyes that seemed to have a lot to say. “It’s very good.”

“What about me were you thinking about?”

Her chewing halted. Taeyeon’s stare was intense, much like the way the singer’s eyes shone when she was performing on stage. But she wouldn’t be intimidated. She would force Taeyeon’s hand. “I was wondering when you’re gonna talk about the kiss.”

“The kiss?”

“The one I gave you when you sent me home.”

“Oh, that kiss.”

“How many kisses have you had since then?” Tiffany asked sarcastically.

Taeyeon scratched her chin and looked up as though she were trying hard to recall.

“Seriously? That many kisses?”

“None that I can recall,” Taeyeon finally answered with a grin.

Tiffany folded her arms, “I’m not amused.”

“Oh come on, have a sense of humour.”

“You’re avoiding the question.”

Taeyeon shrugged. “You were drunk.”

“I wasn’t that drunk.”

Leaning forward suddenly, Taeyeon stared straight into her eyes. “Are you saying you kissed me sober?”

Tiffany’s heart thumped extra hard under Taeyeon’s stare. “I wasn’t sober.”

Taeyeon leaned back again. “If you’re not sober, you’re drunk.”

“I was tipsy.”

The rock singer chuckled. “Lady, I won’t take advantage of what you do when you’re not sober. That’s why I haven’t talked about it. But if you want me to talk about it, I’ll talk.” The singer folded her arms. “It was a kiss on the cheek. Your lips felt soft. It was nice.”

Tiffany’s jaw fell open. The nerve of the rock singer to talk about the kiss like it was being graded. “So do you give it an A or B?” she asked in her iciest tone.

“Mmm, I’ve never had a lady ask me to grade her kiss before.” Taeyeon frowned and took a moment before saying, “A.”

Tiffany rolled her eyes. “Should I get on my knees and thank you for giving my kiss a good grade?”

Taeyeon’s grin was cheeky. “You don’t have to do that. A kiss will do.”

Tiffany bristled under the rock singer’s dare. Did Taeyeon think she wouldn’t dare to kiss her again? If Taeyeon thought that, she was so wrong.

o|v

Taeyeon was all smiles as they left the restaurant after dinner and her mood was lifted high. Their conversation had been fun and she enjoyed the give and take game Tiffany gamely played along with all through dinner. When they got to the parking lots, she felt a little reluctant to part ways with Tiffany. If only they could continue this evening out together.

“Taeyeon.”

“Yeah?”

“You don’t have to walk me to my car.”

“I don’t have to but I want to.” Taeyeon gave Tiffany a look. “Unless you don’t want me to.”

Mana held her gaze for a moment. “You know, you may have forgotten all about it but I haven’t.”

Taeyeon blinked. “What?”

“Your memory is bad for your age.”

“What did I forget?”

“Do your words mean nothing to you?”

Taeyeon narrowed her eyes at Tiffany. “It’s a trick, right? I didn’t forget anything. You’re just trying to mess with me.”

“Two days ago, you promised to sketch me again so I can keep the sketch. Have you forgotten?”

“Oh.”

“Yes, oh. You completely forgot and now you’re accusing me of messing with you.”

Taeyeon thought quickly. A quick glance at her watch told her she just over an hour to spare. It would be pushing her luck and she didn’t want to risk being late for her set. “As a gentlewoman, I apologize. I did forget but I intend to keep my promise. If you have free time tomorrow, come to my place before three and I’ll sketch you.”

“You won’t forget again, will you?”

“I’ll remember this time.”

Tiffany smiled sweetly, showing her rows of neat teeth and leaned towards her. Taeyeon stiffened, suddenly keenly aware of how close Tiffany was to her.

“Don’t forget, or you’ll owe me,” said Tiffany in a husky voice and Taeyeon felt a thrill zipping all the way down to her toes. Tiffany was up to something, she just knew it. But she wasn’t afraid or worried. Contrary to that, she was actually psyched for whatever Tiffany had up her sleeve.

Bring it on, mana

o|v