Hangover Morning

Rock, Paper & Scissors

“Holy ing hell.”

The loud swearing aroused Tiffany from her sleep. She opened her eyes and startled, confused by her surroundings. Where was she? A groan drew her attention to the waste of a human being slouched on the bed.

Ah, it’s Taeyeon.

Memories of last night’s events returned to her and she got up to check on Taeyeon.

“Are you feeling better?”

Taeyeon stared at her, eyes wide open and jaw slack. “What the are you doing here?”

“I slept here last night.”

“Why?”

“It was late so Sunny invited me to stay.”

“And you stayed?”

“Should I have gone home?”

Taeyeon shut and looked away. “I have a headache.”

“You need hangover food.”

“Are you gonna cook some for me?”

“Sunny said she’ll make breakfast.”

“You should make breakfast too. Since you slept over.”

“Because I slept over?”

“Yeah. Or are you shameless enough to sleep over for free?”

Tiffany rolled her eyes. Taeyeon was incorrigible. “What do you want for breakfast?”

The rock singer’s eyes brightened. “Eggs.”

“What kind of eggs?”

“Surprise me.”

“What?” Tiffany wanted an answer but Taeyeon wasn’t interested in having anymore conversation. The rock singer was hobbling to the bathroom, decidedly ignoring her by shutting and locking the door.

o|v

“Holy ,” Taeyeon said to the other Taeyeon in the mirror. “You look like .”

She groaned, palming her face and hanging her head in pain. She was going to kill Sunny for inviting mana to stay. What was Sunny thinking when she asked? Didn’t Sunny know how terrible she looked on hangover mornings? And Sunny let mana sleep in her room. What if she had said stupid in her sleep?

She groaned again. Not knowing if she embarrassed herself was way worse than knowing she had embarrassed herself. What had Tiffany seen? What had Tiffany heard? . . .

Her makeup was a mess. Taeyeon winced at the messed up face in the mirror. Mana just saw this. Mana just saw her like this. Taeyeon didn’t want to think about it. Her hangover headache was bad enough. What a ty morning.

After cleaning her face and freshening up with a shower, Taeyeon donned her nicest black t-shirt and denim shorts before heading out to the kitchen.

“Good morning!” Sunny greeted her in the shrillest voice designed to irritate.

“Shut up,” Taeyeon groaned. “You’re making my headache worse.”

“Shouldn’t you feel great this morning? We have a special guest.”

“You’re gonna die, Sunny. You’re gonna die ‘cos I’m gonna kill you.”

“Shouldn’t you thank me instead?”

“Are you kidding me?”

“I don’t think Taeyeon is happy I slept over,” said Tiffany, popping out from nowhere.

“I’m not unhappy,” Taeyeon muttered.

“But you sound unhappy.”

“I’m not. I said I’m not.”

“Maybe these scrambled eggs will make you feel better.” Tiffany brought a pan towards her. “Grab a plate.”

“You cooked eggs?” Taeyeon gasped.

“Didn’t you ask me to cook eggs?”

“I—I just—”

“You just? What?”

“Nothing.”

“Well, do you want the eggs or not?”

“I want the eggs,” Taeyeon said quickly. She took a plate from the rack and put it on the dining table. “Give me the eggs.”

Sunny giggled and whispered something to Tiffany. Then both of them giggled.

“What the heck?” Taeyeon looked from Sunny to Tiffany. She was sure them were in cahoots. She could smell Sunny’s evil plan. Was there something wrong with the eggs? Too much salt, maybe? “Something’s up” She glared at Sunny. “What’s this about?”

“Nothing. Just eat your eggs.”

“You two did something to the eggs, right?”

“We didn’t, I swear,” said Tiffany, with earnest eyes.

“If you did, you’re dead,” Taeyeon warned Tiffany.”

“Go ahead. Try it.”

Taeyeon poked a tiny bit into and chewed with caution.

“Is it nice?” Tiffany asked.

Taeyeon nodded while shoving a more generous chunk into . “Mhm.”

Tiffany smiled. “Do you want more?”

Taeyeon nodded again. A mana who made decent scrambled eggs. Tiffany might not be her type but these scrambled eggs were totally to her taste. “And coffee.”

Sunny threw an oven mitten at her. “Make your own, .”

“I have a headache.”

“This isn’t the first hangover you’ve had, Taeyeon. Don’t take advantage of our nice house guest.”

“I’m not taking advantage of her.”

“It’s okay,” said Tiffany. “I should help since I slept over.”

“You slept over because you sent Taeyeon home.” Sunny Taeyeon. “You’re horrible.”

Taeyeon ignored Sunny. “Coffee, please.”

“Tiffany, you really don’t have to make coffee for this useless rock.”

“It’s okay. I’m making one for myself anyway.”

“See? Tiffany doesn’t mind. She’s not like you,” said Taeyeon. Sunny threw another oven mitten at her but she only chuckled. Sunny couldn’t stop Tiffany from making coffee for her. Coffee and scrambled eggs made by mana. So it wasn’t such a bad morning after all.

o|v

Taeyeon insisted on walking Tiffany to her car after breakfast despite the mana telling her she didn’t need to. Neither spoke in the elevator but Taeyeon’s mind was full of thoughts. It was funny how domestic this morning had been, having mana around in the house making scrambled eggs and coffee. And now, she felt domesticated as she sent mana to her car. Like a wife sending her wife off to work after a homemade breakfast.

Wife? Taeyeon slapped herself mentally. Where did that thought spring from? Wife. Hah. Wife.

“Will you be well enough to do all your sets tonight?” Tiffany asked.

“Don’t worry. This isn’t the first time for me. I can handle it.”

“I don’t want you to push yourself too hard. I can always get the other band to play a set or two.”

“I told you, I can handle it.”

“Alright. Okay. You can handle it.”

“That’s what I said.”

“Thanks for walking with me.”

Taeyeon nodded, acknowledging the thanks but not needing it.

“See ya at the bar tonight,” said Tiffany and she opened the car door.

Taeyeon waited till Tiffany was seated and buckled in before stepping forward. She bent forward, meeting Tiffany at eye level and grinned when Tiffany blinked and stared at her.

“Tiffany.”

“Huh?”

“I’m meeting Jieun for dinner before work. Wanna join us?”

Tiffany’s eyes widened for a second. “Yes, okay.”

Taeyeon smirked. “I’ll send you the address of the restaurant later. Drive home safely.” She said her piece, stepped back and closed the car door. Then she tried not to smile too happily as she watched Tiffany drive away. She wasn’t sure why she invited mana to dinner but Jieun would be fine with it so it wasn’t a problem. Besides, they were rock singer and mana. They were friends now, weren’t they? And friends eat dinner together, right?

Right.

o|v