Crystal Clear

Rock, Paper & Scissors

Taeyeon caught herself smiling in the mirror. What the heck am I doing? Do I need to be smiling for this? She frowned at her reflection. Was her attire over the top? A deep purple designer tank top under a black leather jacket and fitting jeans. The leather jacket was probably pushing it. But this was the look she was going for and it was going to be cold in the cinema. Oh, it. Just wear it.

As a booster shot, Taeyeon touched up her lipstick and tossed her hair round a little. Nothing spelt rocker vibes better than the bed hair look. Okay. Now get out of the house already.

o|v

The navigation system led the way to Tiffany’s place. It was a plain building, high-rise and well located. Taeyeon turned into the parking lot and standing right there, leaning against the wall, was Tiffany.

Two seconds was all it took Taeyeon to take in the view. Interestingly enough, Tiffany’s fashion was vastly different today. Her ensemble consisted of a denim shirt, loosely tucked into black skinny jeans ripped at the knees and black leather boots. Like a rock star. It was nothing like the soft, pink ensembles she usually put together for work. ing hot and y red nurse outfit aside.

“Hi,” Tiffany greeted with her classic smile once she got into the car.

Taeyeon couldn’t bring herself to smile at this confusing woman. A smile like that was easy to misconstrue. Was it friendly? Polite? Interested? Taeyeon didn’t know. Taeyeon couldn’t tell.

“Was my place easy to find?”

“I used navigation.”

“Oh.”

Silence took over for a while until Tiffany spoke again.

“Have you eaten?”

“You sound like my mother.”

“I just don’t want to hear your stomach growling during the movie later.”

Taeyeon huffed. “Don’t worry. I’ll stuff myself full of popcorn. My stomach will be quiet.”

“That’s not a good substitute for breakfast and lunch.”

“I’ll have lunch after the movie.”

“Okay, that’s good.”

“You’re really like a mother. Are you sure you’re my age?”

“A healthy diet is important. The bar needs you to stay healthy. Getting a replacement is such a pain.”

“Oh, is that why . . . and here I thought you genuinely care for me.”

“I do care. I care about all my friends and colleagues.”

“So which one am I?”

“Huh?”

“Friend or colleague?”

“Hmm . . .”

“Why is it so hard to decide?”

“I dunno. What about you? Am I your colleague or am I your friend?”

Taeyeon wrinkled her nose as she took a right turn. “I asked you first so I’m not telling you until you tell me.”

“Oh God, you’re not that immature, are you?”

Taeyeon grinned. “What do you think?”

o|v

The sense of déjà vu was incredible. The same theatre, almost the same seats—just a row behind—and another tub of popcorn. But this time, Taeyeon didn’t care about the characters getting trapped in a funny situation that made everybody laugh. She didn’t care about the squabbles between the male and female leading characters. She only cared about the brush of Tiffany’s arm against hers when they sat together.

But Tiffany seemed to be more careful this time. Mana-Bear- actually waited for her to take the popcorn before moving in for it, so their fingers didn’t make any contact at all this time. What a let-down. She had been quietly anticipating a repeat of the popcorn dominion challenge too. She found it so much more entertaining than the movie.

With nothing else to look forward to, Taeyeon focused on the movie and actually managed to catch up on the parts she missed the last time. The awkwardness between the two leading characters before they admitted to liking each other was somewhat relatable. It was a little like how she was feeling right now, with Tiffany holding her arm for support when a tall man pushed past her.

She hadn’t minded when Tiffany grabbed her arm to balance herself. In fact, she barely noticed at first because she was busy hurling death glares at the back of the man who didn’t even bother to apologize for bulldozing his way through. But now, with the path clear of rude bulky people, Tiffany continued to hold her arm and showed no sign of any intention to remove it.

Taeyeon could feel the weight of it. The gentle grip of slender fingers around the base of her upper arm, unobtrusive yet unmistakable. The weight entered her chest and sat on her heart, making it work harder. Du-geun. Du-geun. Du-geun.

Why is my heart beating faster? It can’t be Tiffany. No way. I’ve had how many girlfriends now? I’m not rookie enough to be getting excited over a pathetic hand on my arm.

“What do you think of the movie? Did you enjoy it better this time?”

I’d rather play popcorn dominion with you. “Yeah, I managed to watch the parts I missed.”

Tiffany smiled and patted Taeyeon’s arm. “Great. It’s worth the sacrifice then.”

Taeyeon eyed the smiling woman. “What sacrifice? Your time and money?”

Tiffany shook her head. “It’s not that.”

“If not, what sacrifice are you talking about?”

“To be honest, I wanted to steal your popcorn again but I stopped myself from doing it.”

Then why didn’t you ing steal my popcorn, mana-bear-! Taeyeon raised a brow. “Who’s the immature kid here?”

Tiffany cleared . “It’s you.”

“Me?” Taeyeon scoffed. “Woman, you’re delusional.”

With a mysterious smile, Tiffany tugged Taeyeon’s arm and asked, “Where are we going for lunch?”

“Lunch?”

“You said you’re gonna have your lunch after the movie.”

“I never said I’m gonna have lunch with you though.”

“You have to bring me with you.”

“Why?”

“I’m your manager. I have to make sure you’re eating properly.”

“Oh, really?”

Tiffany nodded with conviction and tugged Taeyeon towards the carpark. “You’re not getting out of this.”

“Whatever,” Taeyeon replied with an exaggerated sigh. “Come along if you want.”

o|v

“What you are smiling about? You look like a crazy woman, smiling to yourself like that.”

Tiffany didn’t stop smiling. In fact, her smile widened as she held Taeyeon’s gaze. The difference a little knowledge makes. If Ginna hadn’t told her about Taeyeon’s feelings, she would not have had the courage to stick to Taeyeon like this. But knowing that Taeyeon liked her changed everything. Suddenly, Taeyeon’s odd behaviour made perfect sense. It wasn’t anger. It wasn’t hate or dislike. It was just awkwardness and a need to cover it up.

It had surprised her at first. And she had a little trouble believing it. But the more she thought about it, the more sense it made. Taeyeon had to like her or she wouldn’t have sketched her. The incident that turned it all around must have been the time she saw Taeyeon’s sketchbook when they first met.

Embarrassment. That would explain Taeyeon’s hostile attitude towards her thereafter. It was a cover up. Tiffany could imagine how awkward it was for Taeyeon to have a stranger discover her little hobby . . . ? And on top of that, to have the subject of her sketch see it in that situation. Tiffany giggled when she recalled how Taeyeon tried so hard to stuff her sketchbook into her bag. How it stubbornly refused to get in, prolonging Taeyeon’s embarrassment.

“Now you’re giggling. Do you know how crazy you look? Giggling while cutting the steak.” Taeyeon reached for her plate of steak. “Give it to me. At the rate you’re going, it’ll be tomorrow before you get to eat your steak.”

Tiffany simply smiled as she watched the rock singer cut up the steak for her. Taeyeon had been abrasive in the beginning but her gruff care and concern was starting to show in ways that one might miss if they weren’t looking. Fortunately for her, it was all crystal clear. She knew what to do now.

o|v