Infinite

In an Endless Field of High Grass

A single snowflake slowly descends from the grey sky.

On a bench in the middle of an endless field of high grass sits a woman, peaceful and in wait.

His chosen path eventually leads him to her, as he had known - hoped - it would.

Her hair is shorter, tied in a messy bun above her head and golden in color, but he knows... it's her: his love, his first and his last, his eternity. His Soo.

She turns, his heaven in her eyes. Her smile is one he thought he would never see again.

 

"Pyeha."

"You're still here."

"I had to see you."

 

He reaches her finally, holds out a hand to touch her and is heartened to find that he can. She closes her eyes against his familiar touch, filled with memories of being loved and held, of loving and holding.

In this place that is neither here nor there, where time has no bearing, where knowledge is infinite, they sit together - two souls, just as they are.

 

"Do you remember our first snow?" Soo asks softly, holding out a hand to catch a second falling snowflake. "I made a wish that night... I wished for a love that was true." It melts into her skin before rising up to join the stars studding the clear night sky. Even here, the stars are brightest when I'm with you. "It was short and far from perfect, but what we had was true, wasn't it?"

 

He smirks, nudges her temple with his lips. "Truer than this yellow on your hair."

 

She laughs with him and smiles contentedly as she nestles against his shoulder, as she hears his quiet whisper, "Thank you... for teaching me how to love."

 

Her arms that circle him are steadfast, leaving no room for doubt. Not her first, but her last... for certain her eternity. "Thank you for loving me."

 

The shifting sky breaks, a new sun appears, signaling an end. The next phase of their journey is about to begin.

Underneath the dazzling brilliance, they stand, face to face. His dark eyes are unscarred, perfect, searching her soul. She does not wish to part, but they must.

 

"Will you promise to be there when I wake?"

 

He dips his head and brings her hands up, hard knuckles meeting soft lips in one last fleeting kiss.

 

Fleeting life, short and in vain.
How can it be in vain when we're together like this?
When we can be together again, in another life, another time.

 

In her eyes, he sees everything: his past, his present, his future. He sees it all, for just one moment feeling it all, wanting.

 

"I promise."

 

Now he sits alone, a single soul in an endless field of high grass. The silence stretches.

For gone is his love, his first and his last, his eternity. Gone the sun.

A thousand years parts their reunion and already he misses her. He missed her the moment she took her first step away from him.

Spring petals riding the wind fill him with the scent of new life, new hope, as he begins his thousand-year wait - his punishment for his sins.

His love is worth it. He would endure tens more just to be with her again.

His Soo.

I will find you.