JIHOON. Beneath The Winking Lights

All I Wanna Do! (Wanna One High School)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Before Jihoon auditioned for the Idol Project, mornings at the Imugi Café were peaceful. At six in the morning, Jisung would arrive on-campus, and by that time Jihoon would already have rolled up the steel shutters, set the sign hanging across the front door to ‘Open’, and made his way inside to wipe the windows and tables clean before hungry customers came rushing in for their usual breakfast fix.

The café itself enjoyed its peak hours at around midday, as noon-time breaks were universal, and Jisung served lunch specials on the regular for loyal customers. Mornings, in comparison, were much less hectic, and only a handful of tables were waiting to be served at a time. This gave Jihoon plentiful opportunity to cram in homework during the idle intervals, which was of utmost importance to someone like him, who suffered from a particular allergy to his general subject requirements.

In other words, Jihoon liked mornings.

Or at least, he used to.

The day after promotion exams, Jihoon found (to his utmost surprise and horror) that a group of girls had camped out at the store front gate, waiting for him to appear. Once he’d been spotted, they began whispering to each other in hushed tones, and before he knew it, they had seated themselves at the table nearest to where he worked the counter, the clicking noises their phones made distracting him from the task at hand as they snapped stolen pictures of him in alarming succession.

Things didn’t change as the days went by, apart from that same group of girls slowly increasing in number, until two weeks later to the present day, they managed to occupy an entire row of tables for the whole duration of his four-hour shift.

Jihoon didn’t know whether or not he should be worried that their actions bore resemblance to Daniel’s troop of rabid fangirls, or thankful that at the very least they didn’t crowd around him in a circle, screech incomprehensibly in his ear, or shove pens and papers into his face in an attempt to receive his autograph.

Either way, he was becoming uncomfortable.

“I’d tell you to contain those pheromones you’ve been releasing around these ladies recently,” Jisung said. “But business is booming and my ‘Park Jihoon Approved’ menu set is selling like hotcakes, so I don’t mind them swarming the café half as much as you do.”

Jihoon sighed, his brows furrowing in exasperation. “They’re selling like hotcakes because they are hotcakes, hyung. It’s why we keep on running out of batter, remember?”

A week ago, Jisung introduced a couple of breakfast sets entitled the ‘Park Jihoon Approved’ menu to the public. Each one was a combination of Jihoon’s personal favorites, which, for the most part, comprised of hotcakes, strawberry drizzle, and impossible varieties of tea-infused hot chocolate. Such a gimmick proved both an effective marketing strategy and a logistical nightmare, as they could never have anticipated the tremendous demand for Jihoon’s special recommendations.

“I should never have agreed to this,” Jihoon muttered to himself. “If they keep on wiping the shelves clean of hotcake mix… what’s left for me at the end of the day?”

“A fatter paycheck, that’s what,” Jisung said. “Now get back to work, Jihoon-ah. I’ve been meaning to turn this into a permanent breakfast menu, but I’ll take it down next week just to placate you. Besides, your discomfort takes away from productivity, and I’m not about to start a massive fanwar in this café once your admirers begin encroaching upon Daniel-supremacist territory. Those tables over at the back next to the practice room are theirs, if you must know.”

“I know that, already,” Jihoon said, gathering the tea and sandwich plate onto a tray. “I’m not complaining.”

I’m working here for my mother, after all. Any ordeal is made worth it for that alone.

Jihoon stepped out from behind the counter, heading for one of the occupied tables. A group of girls were sitting around it, looking excitedly at each other as he strolled towards them.

“One Chamomile Tea and Cheese Injeolmi Toast for Jaehee, one Matcha Espresso Fusion and Strawberry Vanilla Pancake for Eunjung, and one Berry Mix Pancake and Jasmine Citrus Chocolate for Hyejeong.” Jihoon carefully settled the tray onto the table, his balancing act coming to an abrupt close as he distributed the plates and cups to their owners. “Anything else you might need?”

“You’re Park Jihoon, right?” the girl to his left spoke up. Jihoon squinted at her nameplate, which read Kim Jaehee. “Your Monster performance was amazing, by the way.”

“Thank you, Jaehee-ssi,” Jihoon said, smiling at her. “I’m glad it made you happy.”

Jaehee giggled at him shyly.

“I wonder why we never noticed you before that,” Eunjung remarked, settling her elbows on top of the table and her cheeks against both hands, staring at Jihoon dreamily. “You’re so attractive… Totally my type.”

“You don’t have a girlfriend, do you?” Hyejeong pried. A few days ago, such intrusive a query would’ve taken him by surprise, but the same question had come up a number of times over the course of two weeks, and Jihoon almost wished these girls would start a group chat on KakaoTalk already for everyone to know all at once that he was single, just so he didn’t have to answer the question himself twenty times over.

“I don’t have one,” Jihoon said, flashing as warm a smile as he could muster given how stiff he was in situations that required him to share personal details to strangers.

He wished he could say, why is that any of your business? But he knew more than anyone that his privacy would be even harder to cling to once he made his debut, so instead he kept his mouth shut.

“Am I your type, then?” Hyejeong pressed on. “Because if so, I’d like to go on a date with you.”

“My apologies,” Jihoon said, picking up the food tray. “But I’m not interested in seeing anyone at the moment. I thank you for the support, though. And do come again.”

With that, Jihoon brisk-walked away from the table, heart hammering violently in his chest.

Twelve, Jihoon counted in his head. This is the twelfth date invite I’ve received this month alone.

And the eleventh I’ve had to refuse.

Jihoon’s cheeks flared up in vivid color, memories of Kuanlin asking him out on a date whistling through his memory.

I wonder if the date’s still on. He hasn’t mentioned it since his birthday.

Disappointment welled up inside of him, before he crushed the feeling into sand and let it slip between his fingers.

Keep yourself in check, Park Jihoon, he chided himself. And don’t do anything stupid.

Before Jihoon could re-enter the kitchen to take care of the next order, the door to the café creaked open, chimes clinking merrily. Jihoon whipped his head around for the customary welcome, but his breath escaped him instead as he took in the sight of the person standing at the entrance.

“Hi there,” Kuanlin greeted him, the smile on his face melting Jihoon into a lovesick puddle. “I see you’re hard at work, hyung.”

“Yeah,” Jihoon said absent-mindedly, distracted by Kuanlin’s wind-whipped hair and the way it fell across his right eyebrow. “I, uhm… I see that too.”

Wait, Jihoon thought. That doesn’t make any sense. He squeezed his eyes shut, ashamed of how easily Kuanlin’s dazzling visuals managed to stir him into a bumbling train wreck. Kuanlin walked over to his side slowly, heads turning as he did so. Excited whispering ensued around them, and Jihoon could only do so much to keep himself from yanking at Kuanlin’s arm to haul him away from the penetrating gazes of their female spectators.

“What’s up, hyung?” Kuanlin asked as he reached Jihoon’s side. “You look like you’re plotting something sinister.” Jihoon craned his neck upwards to look at him, beginning to wonder if Kuanlin had grown an extra centimeter or two over the weekend.

“Don’t make eye-contact with any of the girls at the tables,” Jihoon said before he could stop himself. “I don’t like the way they’re ogling at you.”

“No need to get jealous,” Kuanlin teased, leaning in slightly and reaching for Jihoon, to wipe away a stray eyelash that had fallen onto his cheek. “I wasn’t about to look anywhere else to begin with.”

Jihoon reddened straight away, turning his back to Kuanlin as further exposure to the glorious sight of him would’ve ignited Jihoon into a luminous fire and set the entire café to flames in one go.

This is why they say you shouldn’t be looking directly at the sun.

“What is that supposed to mean?” Jihoon asked tensely.

A few moments passed between them in unbearable silence, and Jihoon could feel Kuanlin’s heavy gaze still on him, stubborn and unmoving.

“You know hyung,” Kuanlin began. “I… I’ve been meaning to tell you something.”

Jihoon gulped nervously, turning around once more to look at him. “What is it?”

Kuanlin took one step forward, and before Jihoon could make sense of what he was doing, his right foot had taken one step back, keeping the distance between him and Kuanlin even.

Hurt and confusion flashed in Kuanlin’s expression momentarily.

What are you doing? A voice within him chided. There’s nothing to be afraid of.

Kuanlin eyed him hesitantly, looking as if he was trying to gauge where Jihoon’s comfort bubble began and ended, in order not to step unwittingly into his personal space.

“Excuse me,” Jisung interrupted, quashing the moment between them. “But if you were about to proclaim your everlasting love for each other just then, I highly suggest you don’t lock lips out here in the open. Otherwise you might end up starting something even more cataclysmic than a massive fanwar.”

Kuanlin looked to Jisung, the pale skin of his face flushing in rosy color. He took a deep breath before stepping away.

“He’s right,” Kuanlin said, shamefaced. “There’s a time and place for this sort of thing, and both of those should be just right before I can let anything else happen.”

“Y-yeah,” Jihoon stammered, still buzzing with nervous tension.

Was I about to receive a confession just then? Jihoon thought. No way…

At that very moment, the principal’s voice rang out through the public service announcement system installed within the café.

”Good morning students. As of today, promotion exams have been evaluated and their respective grades finalized, and as such, results have been posted and are up for viewership at the North-Eastern Bulletin. Furthermore, The SBC Channel will be conducting a special broadcast of the results of the School Idol Project auditions, so please do tune in at 8:00 AM sharp to find out who’s made it through. Thank you, and good day to everyone!”

As soon as the announcement ended, Jihoon stole a quick glance at the clock above the counter.

“It’s 7:52,” Jihoon whispered, already feeling anxious and on edge. “Eight minutes to go.”

Kuanlin nodded, taking him by the hand. “Our lives are about to change forever, hyung,” Kuanlin said. “And I’ve never been so ready for anything.”

 

All of them had gathered to watch the special broadcast in Jihoon and Woojin’s room, and until then Jihoon didn’t think their unit was capable of accommodating eleven full-grown men all at once.

“One minute left,” Jaehwan said skittishly. “I think I’m going to pee myself.”

“I’m letting you do no such thing,” Minhyun said, yanking Jaehwan by the ear. “Come here, and just let me hold your hand. It’s easier not to feel nervous that way.”

Jaehwan took Minhyun’s left hand in both of his, still sweating bullets.

“I sure do hope you’ve washed these hands of yours,” Minhyun sighed regretfully. “Otherwise I’m going to kill you.”

“OH GOD THIS IS IT!” Sungwoon interrupted, as the logo of the School Idol Project flashed animatedly onscreen. “This is really it.”

“Two weeks ago, special auditions were held at the Mireu High School for the Arts,” the voice-over announced. “To search for the 101 contestants who will make it through to the first round of the much awaited idol search program. Scores have been tallied, discussions undergone, and performances reviewed… The judges have spoken, ladies and gentlemen! Here are their picks! In 3, 2, 1…”

As soon as the first name appeared, everything in Jihoon’s world fell silent, suspended in time, halted mid-motion. The only thing he could see was himself, staring back at him through the lenses of a camera.

1. PARK JIHOON (Dancer, Year 3) – 492 points

Promotion: Class B to A

Recommendation: Idol (Additional Track)

As his name flashed onscreen in bold lettering, next to high-definition stills of his solo dance break, and underneath the number he never used to associate himself with, Jihoon’s hand flew to his mouth in utter disbelief, his knees buckling as they turned into jelly.

First. I managed to rank first.

“Congratulations on first place, hyung!” Kuanlin exclaimed, pulling him into a hug and sweeping him right off his feet, as the rest of them crowded around him.

Jihoon closed his eyes for a moment, arms wapped around Kuanlin’s neck as he let reality sink in, his overwhelming joy a riptide rushing to overtake him with emotion. Apart from snatching first place, he’d gotten promoted to Class A, and recommended into the Idol Track.

This can’t be real. He returned his attention to the screen, just to make he wasn’t lost in a dream.

2. KANG DANIEL (Idol, Year 4) – 489 points

Recommendation: Dancer/Rapper (Additional Track)

3. KIM SAMUEL (Idol/Dancer, Year 1) – 486 points

4. AHN HYUNGSEOB (Idol, Year 3) – 485 points

Promotion: Class D to A

Recommendation: Dancer (Additional Track)

5. IM YOUNGMIN (Idol/Rapper, Batch 2014) – 484 points

6. ONG SEONGWOO (Actor, Year 4) – 481 points

Recommendation: Idol (Additional Track)

“Second place, huh?” Daniel said, beaming. “I couldn’t have asked for anything better.”

He turned to Jihoon, looking to him with pride, no trace of bitterness or regret evident in his features. “You deserved first place, Jihoon-ah,” Daniel said, patting his shoulder lightly. “You were phenomenal out there. I bow down to the new king.”

“Don’t I get a congratulatory hug, too?” Seongwoo said, interrupting the rare moment between them.

Jihoon laughed softly as Daniel turned to Seongwoo, eyeing him with mock irritation.

“Congrats on sixth place,” Daniel said, moving in for a hug. But before he could do so, Seongwoo reached for both of his cheeks, pulling him into a slow kiss.

The rest of them could only stare at the intimate display in shock.

‘Whoops,” Seongwoo said, grinning at Daniel triumphantly after successfully claiming his lips. “I was aiming for your cheek. Guess I missed.”

Daniel turned scarlet instantaneously. “You idiot.”

“I see the both of you have reconciled on your differences,” Jisung noted. “Took you long enough. Sungwoon even—“

“JISUNG-IE!” Sungwoon shrieked. “THAT’S ME ON TELEVISION!”

7. NOH TAEHYUN (Idol/Dancer, Batch 2012) – 480 points

8. HA SUNGWOON (Idol, Batch 2013) – 479 points

...

11. TAKADA KENTA (Idol, Batch 2014) – 477 points

...

18. LEE EUIWOONG (Rapper, Year 1) – 472 points

Promotion: Class C to B

Recommendation: Idol (Track Movement)

19. LEE WOOJIN (Idol, Year 1) – 471 points

Promotion: Class B to A

20. PARK WOOJIN (Idol, Year 3), 469 points

Recommendation: Dancer/Rapper (Additional Track)

21. KIM DONGHYUN (Idol, Year 4) – 468 points

Promotion: Class B to A

...

30. LEE DAEHWI (Idol, Year 1) – 462 points

...

40. KIM JAEHWAN (Singer, Year 4) – 458 points

Promotion: Class B to A

Recommendation: Idol (Track Movement)

...

55. KIM DONGHAN (Idol, Year 4) – 444 points

Promotion: Class D to B

...

61. KIM SANGGYUN (Rapper, Batch 2014) – 440 points

62. HWANG MINHYUN (Singer, Batch 2014) – 439 points

As their names flashed onscreen one by one, the eleven of them rejoiced in the limited space of Jihoon’s bedroom, exchanging hugs, high-fives, and cheers of celebration.

“I came in 20th, huh,” Woojin said. “Now if only I lifted my shirt…”

“Congratulations, you snaggletooth,” Jihoon said. “Would you look at that, we’re nineteen ranks apart.”

“Oh god,” Woojin said, grimacing at Jihoon. “Now I’m never going to hear the end of it.”

“OH HEY!” Jaehwan exclaimed, the moment his name came up 40th. “I’m in Class A! Serves you right, Hwang Minhyun. Who’s the emperor now?”

Minhyun inserted his index finger into his left ear. “Is there a ghost in here? I’m starting to hear these voices.”

Jaehwan leapt at him then, pulling him into a chokehold. “Be nice to me for once, would you? I said I was sorry for breaking your toilet brush!”

Minhyun inserted another finger into the other ear. “Now if only I could communicate with spirits and tell them that toilet brushes only cost six thousand won at FunMart…”

“That’s eight of us down,” Daehwi whispered, his fingers intertwined with Jinyoung’s, whose name had yet to appear, eyes still glued to the screen.  “Only three more to go.”

72. BAE JINYOUNG (Singer, Year 2) – 431 points

Promotion: Class F to C

Recommendation: Idol (Track Movement)

73. KIM YONGGUK (Singer, Batch 2015) – 430 points

...

78. HUANG JUSTIN (Dancer, Year 1) – 427 points

Promotion: Class D to C

Recommendation: Idol (Track Movement)

...

80. YOON JISUNG (Singer, Batch 2010) – 422 points

...

84. ZHU ZHENG TING (Dancer, Batch 2015) – 420 points

As soon as Jinyoung and Jisung’s names came up, cheers erupted anew across the room. Daehwi ran elatedly into Jinyoung’s arms, causing him to topple off balance and both of them to fall to the floor.

“JINYOUNG-AAAAH,” Daehwi wailed. “YOU MADE IIIIIT!”

Jinyoung laughed softly as he caressed the back of Daehwi’s head, tears pooling at the corners of his eyes. “I made it, Daehwi-ya. I’m not even in F anymore. All thanks to you.”

“That’s my best friend,” Jihoon said, choking up with tears of his own, knowing how much Jinyoung waited, and how hard he practiced for his skill to receive acknowledgment. “You deserved it, Jinyoung-ah. You really did.”

“Jisung-hyung,” he heard Kuanlin say, as the rest of them crowded around Jisung, who had sunk to his knees and begun drowning himself in tears. “Our leader-nim is finally here.”

At that point, only Kuanlin’s name had yet to come up onscreen, and the agony of waiting for it to appear sent Jihoon’s frenzied heart into overdrive. As the numbers dwindled down into the 90s, Jihoon looked to Kuanlin, seeing the worried expression on his face as he began to lose hope.

“I don’t think I’ll make it,” Kuanlin whispered to himself. “What should I do if I don’t? Should I just go home?”

Jihoon strode over to his side, taking his hand and squeezing it between his own. “Don’t say that, Kuanlin-ah,” Jihoon said. “It doesn’t end here for you. Not just yet.”

Once the student in 98th place had been announced, and only three spots were left for the taking, the eleven of them formed a tight circle around the room, hands clasped together. As soon as the colors onscreen shifted, Jihoon risked a peek at the names spelled out before them.

99. LAI KUANLIN (Rapper, Year 1) – 418 points

Promotion: D to C

Recommendation: Idol (Track Movement)

99. YOO SEONHO (Singer, Year 1) – 418 points

Promotion: F to C

Recommendation: Idol (Track Movement)

101. KWON HYUNBIN (Rapper, Batch 2016) – 417 points

All at once the circle broke, as each of them ran towards Kuanlin to smother him in hugs.

“Our maknae’s made it!” Sungwoon exclaimed. “I think I’m going to cry.”

“Congratulations, Kuanlin-ah,” Jinyoung said, patting his shoulder. “I forgot to tell you as much after your performance, so I’m saying this long overdue.”

“Thank you,” Kuanlin said, addressing everyone. “I couldn’t have asked for better hyungs than all of you.”

Kuanlin looked to Jihoon, extending a hand towards him. Jihoon took it without a moment’s hesitation. “You did it,” he said, winking. “I told you as much.”

Jihoon tried to remain calm outwardly, but his insides had turned effectively into smush.

I get to be with him for a while longer, was the only thing he could think of. Why am I so happy about that? I don’t understand.

“So all of us made it through,” Daniel said finally. “Now it’s time for us to go win this thing.”

The rest of them cheered, hardly able to wait for the first elimination round to start.

“Anyone up for some breakfast?” Jisung offered, grinning from ear to ear. “It’s on the house.”

“I’M IN!” Ten eager voices spoke up in unison. They filed out of the room one by one, until only Jihoon and Kuanlin were left standing inside the bedroom.

 “There is cause for celebration, isn’t there?” Kuanlin said then. “Should we go on a date as promised?”

“Oh,” Jihoon said, feigning calm, as if he hadn’t been dying to hear those very words since the first mention of a date on Kuannlin’s birthday. “That… that would be nice.”

Kuanlin nodded. “Are you free tomorrow?”

Jihoon shook his head slowly, planning out his schedule on the spot. “It’s a Saturday, so I have work at auntie’s kitchen.”

If truth be told, Jihoon had asked for a day-off and gotten one. He simply needed enough time to mentally and emotionally prepare himself for the date before it happened.

“Right,” Kuanlin said. “Then when exactly….”

“Since both of our classes end early every Monday,” Jihoon suggested. “Why don’t we go out then? We can lay out our itinerary as we go along.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Kuanlin said. “The date is set, then. I’ll pick you up from your bedroom at two o’clock sharp.”

“I’ll be waiting.” Jihoon replied, the sound of his own heartbeat pounding in his ears like drums.

“Aren’t either of you hungry?” Jisung said, his head poking into the room. “Breakfast is served at Imugi, so don’t keep the rest of us on standby.”

“We should probably make our way there now,” Kuanlin suggested. “I’m hungry.”

In true Jihoon fashion, his stomach grumbled loudly in response.

“Yeah,” Jihoon agreed. “I still have work to do, but so am I.”

 

“Is there a reason,” Woojin said. “Why all of us in here, yet again?”

Ten of them, with the exception of Kuanlin, were packed inside of Jihoon and Woojin’s room, the day after performance results were announced.

Daniel shrugged. “Jihoon called an emergency meeting.”

“Sometimes, I regret not opting for a room of my own,” Woojin said. “But then I realize that would mean I wouldn’t have the opportunity to bother Jihoon every morning, so all is well this way. Trade-offs are essential, after all. ”

“Care to explain what we’re in here for?” Jinyoung said, his hair still sticking upwards in every direction, looking as if he’d just been zapped by lightning. “I cut short my beauty sleep just for this.”

 “Wait a minute,” Daehwi interjected. “Kuanlin isn’t here yet. I should probably give him a call.”

As soon as Daehwi reached into his pocket to retrieve his phone, Jihoon leapt at him and snatched the device away.

“Don’t… don’t do that,” he pleaded. “ He isn’t supposed to be here at all.”

“Why not?” Daehwi asked, his head tilting slightly to the side in confusion. “Isn’t he a part of the group, too?”

“Correct me if I’m wrong,” Minhyun said then. “But doesn’t this emergency meeting have to do with our future on the Idol Project? Though I admit I may have wondered why you’d want to discuss such a thing before the mechanics have been explained in detail.”

Jihoon met each of their eyes, ashamed of his own nerve to trick them into thinking he had a helpful game plan up his sleeve. “It isn’t about that at all.”

“What are we here for, then?” Seongwoo said. “Don’t tell me Daniel and I skipped out on our morning cuddle just to—“

Before Seongwoo could finish, Daniel clamped a hand to his mouth to silence him. “Don’t listen to this guy,” Daniel said, laughing nervously. “There’s no such thing.” Seongwoo tugged at Daniel’s hand forcefully, pulling it away.

“There isn’t?” he said. “Then what do you call it when every morning before we get out of bed, I give you a kiss and—“

Daniel’s hand flew back into place to muffle the sound of Seongwoo’s voice. “THERE’S NO SUCH THING.”

“I don’t understand what he’s trying to stay,” Jaehwan commented. “Let him say his piece, for once.”

Daniel gulped hesitantly, retracting his hand slightly to allow Seongwoo some breathing space.

Seongwoo’s narration returned in full-blast volume.

“—and then you beg for me to do it one more time so I—“

This time, both of Daniel’s hands moved to cover Seongwoo’s mouth. “For the love of all things beautiful in this world, Ong Seongwoo,” Daniel pleaded. “Do shut up.”

“I sure do hope you’re using protection,” Sungwoon said, addressing Seongwoo. “Not that I’m assuming fixed positions between you. Might be best to change things up from time to time.”

Daniel groaned loudly. “Not you too, hyung. Like I said, Seongwoo and I are friends. IT ISN’T LIKE THAT BETWEEN US.”

 “The ones that need protection,” Jisung interrupted. “Are the precious maknaes you guys are corrupting with your shamelessness. Am I right, Jihoon-ie?”

But Jihoon was no longer following the conversation, as his mind drifted into thoughts of the future.

Someday, he told himself. I’ll have to think about those sorts of things too. Kuanlin and I aren’t going to stay innocent forever.

He looked up at Seongwoo and Daniel, wondering if he and Kuanlin would ever be like them.

“Sungwoon, honey!” Jisung gasped in alarm. “Now look what you’ve done! Jihoon’s beginning to think of weird things.”

At this, Woojin moved to shield himself, wrapping both hands around his shoulders in cross-formation. He inched away from Jihoon slowly. “No, Jihoon-ah,” he said. “It isn’t going to be like that between us. I won’t allow it.”

Jihoon grunted at him, bonking him upside the head. “Dream on, you idiot.”

“I’m sorry,” Minhyun said then, eyes rolling. “I still have no idea what any of us are here for.”

Jihoon heaved in a deep breath, fidgeting uncomfortably. “Remember how… I told you Kuanlin asked me out on a date? So I—“

“KUANLIN ASKED YOU OUT ON A DATE?” Jinyoung screeched. “How come you never told me?!”

“Did I forget to mention that?” Jihoon said, looking sheepish.

“My children grow up too fast,” Jisung remarked, wiping at an invisible tear with the tips of his fingers. “But no matter. May the both of you find happiness in each other.”

“Hyung,” Jihoon said. ‘We’re going out on our first date. Not getting hitched.”

“But I still don’t understand how a date classifies as an emergency,” Daniel said. “Unless you were asking for some advice?”

Jihoon twiddled his thumbs consciously, gaze sliding downwards to the floor.  “I needed help with my outfit.”

An awkward silence ensued.

“Was that it?” Seongwoo said. “I doubt you needed all of us cramped in this narrow space just to help you pick out something date-appropriate from your closet.”

“Hyung,” Jinyoung said, shaking his head wearily. “I’m not sure you understand the severity of what you’re about to get into.”

Seongwoo blinked at him, bewildered. “It can’t be that bad…right?”

“Ready, Jinyoung-ah?” Daehwi said, walking towards Jihoon’s closet, reaching tentatively for both handles.

Jinyoung nodded. “Unleash the monstrosity.”

All at once, they were greeted by tie-dye shirts, plaid sweaters and other clashing prints, oversized tees in blinding colors, cartoon-print hoodies, rainbow socks, sweatshirts with vague obscenities written across the front of them, and a vast assortment of neon shoelaces.

 “See what I mean?” Jinyoung said. “You could never have been prepared for this.”

“I’m pretty sure you’re breaking several rules all at once wearing these together,” Sungwoon remarked. “I hope you don’t, for goodness’ sake.”

“You know, “Jaehwan said. “If the idol dream doesn’t work out for you, I’m sure you could found a neon shoelace museum with this much stashed in your drawer.”

“Forget the shoelaces,” Daniel said. “Is this what I think this is? Pink, strawberry print underwear?”

Jihoon scratched at the back of his head. “I bought matching socks for those.”

 “You’re right,” Seongwoo said, covering his mouth at the unexpected tragedy that was Jihoon’s sense of style, or lack thereof. “This is an emergency. This… this is a disaster. A fiasco. The absolute worst.”

Jihoon sighed in defeat. He already knew that he looked like a moron every time he stepped out in casual clothing, and he already knew that the stares he received as he passed others in the street weren’t out of admiration, but out of mockery and worry for his well-being in general. He himself had no idea why he enjoyed dressing in outlandish clothing. He guessed it might’ve been a combination of wanting to stand out, and not knowing what he was doing half the time.

 “Look on the bright side,” Minhyun said. “We could’ve discovered something even nastier than these. There are all sorts of things boys Jihoon’s age could’ve kept hidden underneath this massive pile of clothing.”

“If it’s those indecent magazines you’re looking for,” Jihoon said. “You’re looking in the wrong place. I suggest you move one cabinet over.” He gestured to Woojin’s closet.

“Hey!” Woojin exclaimed, offended. “If you wanted to borrow them, you could’ve asked nicely instead of sneaking around to unearth my stash.”

Seongwoo grinned at Woojin knowingly. “I like how you didn’t even bother to deny that you had a stash to begin with.”

Woojin shrugged. “I’m a teenage kid with no girlfriend and a -ton of raging hormones. Deal with it.”

“Ahem,” Daehwi coughed, trying to steer the conversation back into place. “You all know what this means, right?”

Everyone save for Jihoon nodded in perfect understanding.

“Hell if I knew,” Jihoon muttered under his breath. “I’m just hoping you aren’t planning to steal all of my clothing in the night and use them as logs for the festival campfire.”

“No such thing,” Jinyoung assured him. “But if you’re thinking what I’m thinking…” he turned to everyone else.

Jaehwan nodded. “Someone needs to take Jihoon out shopping.”

At Jaehwan’s suggestion, nine eager hands shot readily into the air. “I volunteer.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter