Chapter 8

The Bet

The first day back to school after a break was always the worst for Jeonghan. Not because he dreaded being inside the school, but because he had gotten used to sleeping in and now he had to wake up early in the mornings again for 5 days a week. He would miss the warmth of his bed dearly and he contemplated just sleeping in a missing his first class but the annoying ringing that came from his phone reminded him that that wasn't an option. So instead Jeonghan dragged his feet to his bathroom and proceeded to get ready for the day by quickly showering and then putting on his uniform, finishing up his look by tying his hair into a neat pony tail.

Jeonghan quickly made it to school with 10 minutes to spare before study hall ended and it was then that he remembered that he wanted to check in on Seungcheol. The boy's situation on Chuseok bothered him more than he thought it would and it only seemed right to the long haired boy to make sure that Seungcheol at least got to enjoy some of the day with his loved ones. But if you asked Jeonghan why he thought that it was his personal job to do so, he wouldn't be able to give you an answer. It was just something that his brain was telling him to do. 

So Jeonghan went straight to his home room class in hopes of seeing Seungcheol in his seat at the back, however when he got there he only saw Jungkook at the desk reading a book. Jeonghan frowned but he still approached the desk.

"Hey Kookie." Jeonghan greeted.

"Oh, Jeonghan hyung!" Jungkook said, bowing slightly to greet his elder. "Did you enjoy your break?"

"I did. How about you?" Jeonghan asked, not really caring but asking just to be polite.

"It was really good! I got to spend a lot of time with my hyungs from the wrestling team....but I know you don't want to hear any of that. You want to know where Seungcheol hyung is, right?"

"What?" Jeonghan asked, a little take aback by Jungkook's question and then the knowing look that the other was giving him.

"I'm not an idiot, hyung. I know you came over here just to ask me about Seungcheol. I mean...it makes sense since you told me how you liked hi-"

"Ah, right! I did." Jeonghan said quickly, cutting the younger boy off. Then he recalls how he did say something like that to Jungkook when he was still trying to get closer to Seungcheol. "Anyway, do you know where he is?"

"Sorry, I haven't seen him all morning. He wasn't even there at the gym this morning even though coach wanted all of us to be there for some weight training."

"So he's not at school yet?"

"I don't think so. But I'm sure he'll be here soon. Maybe you can catch him after class?" Jungkook suggested.

"Yeah, maybe." Jeonghan said, more so to himself before he muttered a quick goodbye and walked back to his desk.

Jeonghan sat down at his spot and pouted a little which caught all of his friends attention.

"What's wrong with the birthday boy?" Jun asked while leaning over to poke Jeonghan's cheek.

Jeonghan swatted the hand away and continued to pout. "It's not my birthday. Not until Wednesday."

"Yeah but you're K-Star's angel. You practically get a birthday week." Jun reminded him and Jeonghan smiled as he remembered the previous years and how students would usually wish him a happy birthday during the week of his birthday and compliment him on his good looks, many boys and girls even trying to ask him out on dates throughout the entire week (but Jeonghan always declined on the dates which of course just made more people want to ask him out, seeing it more like a challenge to whoo the school's angel during the week that was dedicated just to him).

"Guys, don't inflate his ego anymore. Next thing you know, he's gonna start asking us for gifts every single day of the week." Joshua joked which earned him a punch from Jeonghan.

"Yah, I'm your best friend! You shouldn't have a problem with giving me presents every day!" Jeonghan said, pretending to sound annoyed.

"Fine, fine. How about I gift you with letting you copy my assignment which I'm pretty sure you forgot to do over the break?" Joshua said and the American boy smirked when he saw the information sink into Jeonghan's head and the other's eyes went wide.

"! Weren't we supposed to memorize a section from the chapter too?" Jeonghan asked, the panic of school almost giving him a heart attack.

"Yup, and read it aloud in class if Mr. Kim randomly calls on you." Wonwoo replied.

"Crap! I gotta go to my locker really quick!" Jeonghan said and shot up out of his seat.

"Forgot your textbook in there?" Jun called out.

"Yup!" Jeonghan said before he ran out of the class room and headed to his locker.

The junior was jogging to his locker when he heard a commotion coming from the main hallway. Curiosity got the better of him and so he decided to check it out before he made it to his destination. Apparently it was some students trying to pick a fight with someone and other people thought it would be entertaining to stand by and watch in case a physical fight broke out. Jeonghan told himself that since he had seen what the noise was he would ignore it a go to his locker, but he found that he couldn't bring himself to do so when he saw who was in the center of the crowd.

Choi Seungcheol was standing tall, ignoring a bunch of students how were roughly poking and shoving at his chest, saying things that one could only guess were meant to provoke him. Seungcheol didn't say a thing and he kept his face hard while still ignoring them, almost as if he were just waiting for everyone else to get bored with their taunting and eventually move on. Except, one of the boys who was shoving him had said something and everyone saw the Seungcheol's jaw visibly tighted and his passive eyes turned into a death glare.

Sudden;y the atmosphere had changed and Jeonghan moved closer to hear what exactly the boys were saying to get Seungcheol to react in such a way.

"I was right, wasn't I? That little you were walking with must be your little brother or something. What? Were you walking him to school? Tryna make sure he actually gets an education? You shouldn't bother. He's just gonna be a delinquent like you." Boy number 1 said.

"Seungcheol Jr.! I bet he's just another trouble maker. Probably already following in his hyung's foot steps." Boy number 2 said.

"Ha! I sure hope not! Poor kid, grew up around drugs and . Your parents must be so proud. They're raising a bunch of trash." Boy number 3 said.

Seungcheol's fist clenched at that and everyone saw, adding unhelpful oohs and ohs at the sight. But Jeonghan just stood at the back of the crowd, silently watching the entire scene unfold.

"Y'know, I'm a little scared though. I mean, my little brother probably goes to the same school as him. Hell, they're probably even class mates. What if Seungcheol Jr. ends up bullying him or some ." Boy number 2 said.

"Well we can't have that. We should probably teach him a lesson. Maybe beat up his hyung and show him that he can't mess with us or our siblings." Boy number 3 said.

"No way. Choi Jr. wouldn't learn from something like that. We gotta break in the little brat's face to-" But Boy number 1 couldn't finish his sentence because Seungcheol had already punched him across the face.

It only took seconds for absolute chaos to break out. The other 2 boys who were ganging up on Seungcheol tried kicking and shoving him but the wrestler was too focused on the boy he currently held to the ground by the neck. There was shouting and cheering, the students crowding around chanting "fight, fight, fight!" and all Jeonghan could do was watch. Eventually though, Seungcheol was shoved into the lockers behind him and the boy he had been choking a few seconds ago got up and kneed Seungcheol in his stomach. The boys then spat on him and cursed him and when they mentioned the little boy again, Seungcheol's rage suddenly reignited. More punches were thrown and after one particularly painful looking blow was given to Seungcheol, Jeonghan had decided that enough was enough. It was clear that no one was going to put an end to this and if the fight carried on for any longer then someone would get seriously hurt. So the long haired boy weaved his way through the crowd and approached Seungcheol, just wanting all of this to stop.

"Seungcheol! Hey, Seungcheol! You need to stop!" Jeonghan tried but Seungcheol paid no attention to his name being called. That was when Jeonghan tried to get closer to Seungcheol only to be pushed back.

Any other person would've backed off after that, but Jeonghan was stubborn so he tried again, this time grabbing onto Seungcheol's middle from behind and struggling to hold him in place. "Seungcheol, seriously dude. . Just stop! They're not worth it!" Jeonghan kept saying but again Seungcheol wasn't listening. And when the boys kept insulting him with degrading words about him and his family, Seungcheol struggled even harder to get out of Jeonghan's hold, which eventually led him to elbowing Jeonghan in the face.

Jeonghan wasn't expecting the blow and he ended up falling to the ground and his hands quickly went to his nose that was burning in pain. And when he felt a wetness on his fingers, he knew he was bleeding.

Now a few students in the crowd were hovering around the junior, asking if he was okay and Jeonghan tried shoving them away. Sure, now they want to help, he thought bitterly.

"Jeonghan, are you sure you're okay?" One random kid asked and that was when Seungcheol finally broke out of his rage.

"Jeonghan?" Seungcheol muttered to himself. He knew he had hit someone with his elbow but he wasn't sure who it was, and at the time, he didn't really care. But now that he had realized who exactly he had hit by accident, his eyes went wide with horror. "!"

Seungcheol quickly scrambled to his knees and he wanted to check on the boy, but he was stopped when he heard the sound of a teacher's voice coming towards their direction.

"Hey! What is going on over here?" The teacher asked, and it only took a minute for him to realize what all the commotion was about. "Alright, I want all of you in your respective classes right now!" The man shouted and his glare told the students that they better listen to his orders quickly unless they wanted to face some sort of punishment. "And you five on the floor," he pointed at Seungcheol and the boys he was fighting, and even Jeonghan, "All of you are coming with me to the principal's office so that we can discuss your punishment." 

"Um, excuse me sir!" One girl said, and Jeonghan recognized her to be Kim Umji, a sophomore and one of Dokyeom's friends. "I don't think Jeonghan deserves to be punished for anything. He was just trying to stop the fight."

"Yes sir, I can even vouch for him. Jeonghan did nothing wrong!" Her friend, Jung Eunha spoke up.

"Alright, well if that's the case then I guess he can go." The teacher said.

"Thank you sir." Jeonghan said, and when he got up, everyone could see his bloody nose and they all hissed at the sight. Seungcheol just looked away.

"Do you need to go to the nurses office?" The teacher asked.

"I think so." Jeonghan replied, grimacing as he tried touching his sore nose. But when Eunha and Umji offered to assist him, he politely declined and started on his way to the nurses office. He tried to catch one last glance at Seungcheol before he left, but the other boy refused to look at him and for some reason that pissed Jeonghan off more than anything else.

Jeonghan found himself in the nurses office 5 minutes later, sitting on one of the beds while holding an ice pack to his nose. He had no idea what the ice pack would do but the nurse had shoved the pack into his hands as soon as he walked into the room, even before he could tell her what was wrong, and told him to wait until she came back. And so he did as he was told, hopping up onto the bed and sitting in the middle of the bed while he recalled the last 10 minutes in his head. He was still pissed at Seungcheol for elbowing him in the face and if he ended up with broken nose right before his birthday then he was sure he'd hunt down the boy and kill him himself.

Jeonghan was lost in his own thoughts when the door to the nurses office opened and suddenly Sehun and Kyungsoo were in the room with him.

"Han, I heard what happened. Are you okay?" Sehun asked, approaching Jeonghan from where he was leaning against the wall.

"How did you guys already hear about it? I just got here." Jeonghan asked, a little shocked by the two seniors in front of him.

Kyungsoo just smirked at that. "Word travels fast around this school. Anyway, I heard Seungcheol er-punched you right in the face. I thought you were supposed to be getting closer to the guy, not getting into fist fights with him. Heh, so much for your charm. I guess not even K-Star's angel can break through to the big bad Choi Seungcheol. Maybe we should've asked someone else to take on this bet." 

Kyungsoo snickered at his own words but Sehun and Jeonghan just glared at him.

"Ignore him." Sehun said. "So what happened?"

"I don't know. There were these s and they were saying some to Seungcheol. They started throwing blows at each other and I tried to stop him...Seungcheol I mean. But he wouldn't listen. , I don't think he even heard me." Jeonghan said, taking a moment before he started again. "This is so frustrating. One moment I think I'm finally getting through to the guy and the next I feel like I'm back to where I started with him. Ugh, and his stupid anger problem doesn't help."

"Yeah, remember how I told you he can be too aggressive at times. It's why so many people don't doubt half the that's said about him." Sehun said. "But, you said that you were getting through to him....what makes you think that?" the senior asked, hoping to get some kind of information out of Jeonghan.

"I don't know, I just feel like I've found out stuff about him that you wouldn't really expect...it's kinda makes me start wondering if those rumors are really true."

"Stuff like what?" Sehun pushed.

"Well for starters, he works at a convenience store almost an hour away from here and he seems pretty serious about keeping the job, hell he even worked on Chuseok. And he's really studious too. He cares a lot more about school than what most people think. And he's actually kinda friendly...I mean he has absolutely no social skills whatsoever...but he's friendly."

"Huh...so our little Seungcheol is a hard worker..."

"Do you know where he works?" Kyungsoo suddenly asked.

"Why would you need to know that?" Jeonghan asked back, confused why they'd want to know something like that but Sehun sent Kyungsoo another glare and brought Jeonghan's attention back to him by the younger's cheek.

"Like I said, ignore him. Anyway, did you happen to find out anything else?"

"No, not really. Like I said, just when I think I'm getting close to him, the angry gorilla acts up and suddenly I'm back at square one." Jeonghan said with a pout which caused Sehun to chuckle.

"Don't worry Han. I believe in you. Just try a little harder and I'm sure your charms will work on him. I mean...they'd work on me just fine..." Sehun said and Jeonghan's cheeks were now noticeably pink after hearing the compliment.

The room was quiet for a moment and Jeonghan was still stuck on the compliment Sehun had just given him. To Jeonghan, it felt like they were the only two people in the room and all he wanted to do was to forget about the pain in his nose and stare at Sehun's handsome face all day. But of course reality had to come in and ruin his little daydream, because a few moments later the nurse had returned to her office.

"Oh my, Sehun, Kyungsoo, what are you boys doing here? Do you need any help with something?" The nurse asked.

"No ma'am, we were just here to check on our dear friend, Jeonghan." Sehun replied smoothly.

"Uh huh, and do you happen to have a pass to be here?" The nurse asked.

"Ha, come on, you know we don't need one of those." Kyungsoo said but the look the nurse gave them said that she wasn't having any of it (The nurse was probably one of the only few staff in the entire school that didn't care about the status of EXO and SNSD in the school and so she never really let them have any special treatment like they were usually given).

When they saw that she wouldn't let this slide, they relented and exited the office, but not before Sehun could wish Jeonghan a happy birthday and a charming wink before he left. Sure it was a bit early, but the action had Jeonghan's pulse racing and the nurse only sighed when she could practically see the hearts in the boy's eyes.

"Anyway, Jeonghan...how's your nose feeling?" She asked once the EXO boys were gone.

"Still hurts like crap. I'm sorry but that ice pack you gave didn't do anything."

"That's because you were supposed to lean forward and pinch the bridge of your nose while you held the ice pack to your nose and cheek." 

"Well you never told me that!" Jeonghan complained. "Is it broken? It can't be broken. My birthday is this week. I can't have a broken nose on my birthday. Do you know how ugly I'll look? I swear if I have a broken nose then I promise I'm gonna find Choi Seung-"

"Relax, your nose is just fine. It's just a nose bleed caused by the blow you received. Just do what I told you to do for 10 minutes and the bleeding should stop. If it doesn't stop within 20 minutes then I'll need to send you home and your parents can take you to see a doctor. However, if the bleeding does stop within that time then I'll apply some nasal gel and you should be good to go. Just don't touch your nose or irritate it for up to 12 hours and you should be fine." She told him and Jeonghan listened carefully.

For the next 12 minutes, Jeonghan stayed on the bed, pinching his nose and ignoring the texts that kept coming from his friends, asking about where he was, if he was fine, and that they couldn't believe what they were hearing from their classmates. In that time, Jeonghan couldn't help but to think how fast stories spread at K-Star and how many of them were true.

After a while, Jeonghan returned to his class and his friends were immediately on his case, asking him just what had happened. And so he told them the truth, how he was going to his locker and then he somehow got elbowed in the face after trying to help out their newest acquaintance. Apparently the story that had been going around was that K-Star's angel had helped stopped a massive fight and had actually saved a few students from the school outcast. Jeonghan actually snorted once he heard that version and reassured his friends that nothing like that had happened. And then he carried on with the rest of his day the best he could, what with Joshua constantly fussing over him, making sure he was okay and offering to take him to see the American boy's father.

"Shua, your dad is a heart surgeon, I doubt he needs to waste his time on some teenager with a bloody nose."

"Sorry many, I'm just looking out for you."

And then there was his younger friends, mainly Seungkwan, Hoshi and Dino, constantly asking about the fight and if they should stop being friends with Seungcheol.

"But hyung, wasn't he the one that hurt you?"

"For the last time, it was nothing and it was an accident."

And of course, all the more random people trying to ask him out on his birthday week because apparently now he didn't just have the face of an angel, but he also had the heart of one too. And that just made him "irresistible." 

"Jeonghan oppa! Please consider going out on a date with me! I heard what you did and it was so heroic! Also, Happy birthday!!" one girl asked

"Hey Jeonghan, Let me take you out on a date. I'm sure I can give you a good time." some random boy asked

and each time Jeonghan replied the same: "No thanks. I'm not interested."

The day was a lot longer than Jeonghan thought it would be and as he was sitting in his last class, all he wanted was for that last bell to ring. He barely paid any attention in his calculus class, just waiting for the time to pass. But if there was one thing he did notice, it's that Seungcheol wasn't there. Jeonghan had a pretty good idea about why the raven haired boy wasn't there, probably being sent home for the day, but what Jeonghan couldn't figure out is whether or not he was glad that Seungcheol wasn't there.

Maybe it was for the best that he wasn't. Jeonghan wasn't really sure what he would say to the other.

 

 

On Tuesday, the hype of the fight had died down but people still tried asking him out which Jeonghan would always kindly decline. He went on with his day just as normal, talking and joking with his friends and he even caught eyes with Seungcheol at one point during the day. He thought about asking the other if they could eat lunch together like they had been doing before the break but when Seungcheol quickly looked away and avoided him for the rest of the period, Jeonghan guessed that eating lunch with him wouldn't be an option. Seungcheol avoided him for the rest of the day too.

 

 

It was Wednesday....more importantly, it was Jeonghan's 18th birthday. He was greeted by happy birthday texts from his friends at midnight and he woke up to a wonderful smell coming from the kitchen which put him in an extremely pleasant mood. He even got ready for school without a fuss, choosing to wear his long blonde hair out and brushing it until it was soft and shiny. And when he went down stairs he saw his mother cooking his favorite breakfast and he received kisses on his cheeks from his mother and sister. And when he found his father sitting him their living room, the man presented him with a tiny box. Inside were a set of keys to a brand new Audi and Jeonghan almost squealed in excitement. He didn't even care when his father had said that he wouldn't actually get to drive the car until he had his license because he was too busy hugging the man and thanking him over and over.

And when Jeonghan came to school he was swarmed with people wishing him happy birthday, receiving chocolates and candies from some girls along the way to his home room. His friends greeted him and wished him a happy birthday in person, joking about giving him his 18 birthday punches and settling for hugs instead. Altogether, Jeonghan was in an amazing mood and he didn't think he could've been happier, although a small part of him wished that Seungcheol would stop avoiding him, but when he chanced a glance towards the back of the room where he knew Seungcheol was, he saw that the other kept his eyes cast down. Jeonghan told himself that he didn't care after that.

Jeonghan went about his day, significantly happier than he usually was, and his face lit up even more when he saw that he had received a text in the middle of the day. It was from Sehun.

Sehun: Happy Birthday. Don't forget about the bet.

Jeonghan: Thank you so much! And don't worry, I won't.

Sehun: I know I can count on you, Han. And have a great day.

The reminder about the bet did make him feel a little uneasy but Jeonghan was overcome by the giddiness he felt at his crush sending him a happy birthday text and suddenly he felt like he couldn't let the senior down.

And so when Jeonghan was in his last class, he made a mental note to talk to Seungcheol after class. Apparently the universe was on his side today because Seungcheol had actually stayed in the room even after the last bell had rung and pretty soon it was just the two of them in the classroom.

Seungcheol seemed nervous and he walked up to Jeonghan with slow steps. Jeonghan thought it was weird but let the other approach him. And before Jeonghan could understand what was going on, Seungcheol had pulled out a small brown bear from his book bag, the stuffed toy had a red ribbon wrapped around it's neck and a small note that read Happy Birthday. Jeonghan couldn't deny that it was cute.

"Hey listen," Seungcheol said. "I just want to apologize...about Monday I mean. I really didn't know it was you there but that's no excuse for what I did. I just hope that we can go back to being...well whatever we were before all of that happened. I know we weren't exactly besties but you were nice to me and I liked that. Anyway, I'm sure you have better things to do with your time, so...happy birthday." Seungcheol finished, and he took a deep breath after that. The older boy was obviously nervous, maybe even scared, and Jeonghan couldn't help but to wonder if Seungcheol had rehearsed that little speech over and over before finally finding the courage to speak to him.

When Jeonghan didn't say anything, Seungcheol seemed to deflate and he took that as his cue to leave. Only Jeonghan stopped him before he could do that.

"Hey wait...I don't want that." Jeonghan said. Both of them looks surprised at what he had just said and personally, Jeonghan had no idea where he was going with this.

"I'm talking about the friendship thing. I don't want to be friends with you." Jeonghan really had no idea what he was doing and when he saw Seungcheol's eyes sadden, he knew he was messing up. "I want a date!"

Now both of their eyes were wide in shock. Where the hell did that come from? Jeonghan thought to himself.

"What?" Seungcheol asked, looking at Jeonghan like he was crazy.

Might as well go with it, another part of his brain thought. "You heard me, I want a date."

"Do you realize what you're asking me? Why would you want to go out on a date with me? You're Yoon Jeonghan. You could have anyone you want."

"And what I want is for you to take me out on a date." Jeonghan said firmly.

"Yah! Are you crazy?" Seungcheol said. "Why would you want to go out on a date with me? I mean...I'm me!" Seungcheol continued.

"I don't know...I just feel like it. You can consider this as another birthday present."

"But I already gave you a bear!"

"But you hit me in the face this week."

"That was on accident!" Seungcheol tried.

"And I think that earns me an extra birthday present...and what do I want? One simple date. I think you can at least give me that, don't you think?" Jeonghan asked, his voice playful.

"Yah...is this what they mean when they call you a trickster?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about." Jeonghan said, trying to sound innocent.

"You're really driving me crazy." Seungcheol said to himself, seeming like he was contemplating on what to do.

"I'm not hearing a no." Jeonghan said before Seungcheol could say anything else. "Great! So I'll meet you by the school gates on Saturday around 6. I'll even bring my new bear." Jeonghan said and then he left before Seungcheol could reply, a smirk playing on his lips. He thought about texting Sehun that he had finally gotten a date with Seungcheol but he decided against that. He could do that after Saturday. Right now all he wanted to do was enjoy the rest of his birthday.

 

Seungcheol, however, was left standing in the empty classroom with his jaw slightly open, wondering what on earth just happened and how he ended up getting a date with the Yoon Jeonghan. It boggled his mind and if someone saw him, they'd see just how hard he was trying to fight the smile that wanted to spread across his face, with his cheeks tinting a wonderful shade of pink. He was happy.

 


A/N: My god that took forever to write. Let me know what you all thought in the comments! And as always, thank you so much for reading and liking my story! And yeah, have a great day!!