Chapter 3

The Bet

"Make Seungcheol fall in love with me? How would I even do that? He's the most anti-social person in the school." Jeonghan tried to reason.

"Use your charm on him silly. I've heard that you have a great personality and that you can get almost anyone to like you. What better way to put that to the test than to have you make the most unapproachable guy in K-Star fall for you?" Sehun replied.

"I guess..." Jeonghan said.

"Hey, I know it's a weird thing to ask so why don't I make it worth your time. If you can get Seungcheol to fall in love with you, then when it's all over, I'll take you on a date." Sehun said smoothly, smirking when he saw the interest spark in Jeonghan's eyes.

"A...a date? With you?"

"Yeah, I'll even take you to the school's summer festival."

"The Summer festival?!" Jeonghan replied, feeling light-headed by just the thought of going on a date with Sehun to such a public and romantic event.

"Yeah...so what do you say?"

"I mean, I'm sure I could do it but...why? Why Seungcheol of all people." Jeonghan asked, genuinely confused about the request.

"Let's just say....he interests me." Sehun left it at that and Jeonghan wanted to get a more than just a vague response but he couldn't when Do Kyungsoo decided to join in the conversation.

"Hey...Our dear Jeonghan still looks a little uneasy about to whole thing so why don't we make this even more interesting." Kyungsoo said with a wicked smile.

"Oh, and what do you propose?" Sehun said, looking like he already knew what the other was going to say.

"How about we make this a bet? And Jeonghan can get something more out of this then a silly little date."

"Oh! This sounds good!" Byun Baekhyun chimed in.

"And what would be the wagers of this bet?" Sehun asked, putting an arm around Jeonghan and the junior didn't know if he should blush by the sudden act or be more nervous about what was happening around him.

"Let's say, if Jeonghan wins then not only does he join our group and you take him on a date, but you would also have to be his boyfriend."

Sehun smirked and used his free hand to lightly grab Jeonghan's chin and turn his face towards him. "Boyfriend huh? I wouldn't mind having a pretty thing like you as my boyfriend."

The look Sehun gave Jeonghan almost made the younger melt, and for split second he was ready to say yes, until he remembered that he had not heard the other side to this bet.

"Wait," Jeonghan said, finally snapping out of his daze, "what happens if I lose?"

They all stayed silent for a moment, seeming like they were thinking but the better part of Jeonghan felt like it was all an act...but of course that better part of him was quickly shushed by the majority of his brain that was still star-struck by the group of beautiful people he was sitting with. Suddenly, Kim Taeyeon had jumped up in excitement, looking like she had just come up with the best idea and then she was whispering in Kyungsoo's ear. The other pulled back with a smile and a nod before turning to face Jeonghan again.

"Taeyeon just suggested that we make you work for us if you lose and to be honest, I really like that idea."

"Work for you? What do you mean?"

"Have you heard about a new group in our school, calling themselves NCT?" Park Chanyeol asked, to which Jeonghan shook his head. "Well, they're a bunch a sophomores and juniors, and a few freshmen, who want to join our group and we're thinking about letting them take our place after we graduate...but of course, we don't let just anyone join so for their challenge, they have to work for us."

"Yeah, they carry our books around and get us coffee, sort out our weekly schedules. They do anything we tell them to and they've been a huge help, but....we could always use the extra hands." Choi Sooyoung added.

"So if I lose...I would basically have to follow one of you around and be your personal slave?" Jeonghan asked, sounding put off by the idea of having to work too hard for anything.

"Yeah, but on the bright side, it would only be for a short while and you could still prove your worth to us that way. So even if you lose the bet, we'll still consider you as a potential member." Chanyeol replied.

"It's a lot easier than it seems, Jeonghan. You don't even have to like Seungcheol back. Just pretend for a little bit, get the guy to like you, and when it's all done you can walk away." Chen chipped in.

Jeonghan looked at everyone on the table and bit his lip, not knowing what to say. And then he felt two large hands cupping his cheeks and suddenly he was facing Sehun again.

"Hey, Jeonghan, I don't want you to feel like we're pressuring you into this. You can tell us no and we'll forget this even happened. It's all up to you." The senior said with a warm smile that made Jeonghan's heart do flips. Suddenly, Jeonghan felt as though he would let the other down if he said no so he turned back to face the others to ask one last question.

"What are the rules for the bet?"

Kyungsoo had that wicked smile again. "I knew I'd like you....The rules are, you have to pretend to date Choi Seungcheol and to make him fall in love with you. But, no one, especially not Seungcheol, can find out that it's all fake while you're dating him."

"What about after?"

"After...we don't care if you tell him. In fact, if that's how you want to end it then by all means, you can tell him then. Hell, you can tell the entire school if you want."

But Jeonghan's face scrunched up a little at the idea of doing that. "I don't know...that seems a little too harsh....even for someone like Choi Seungcheol."

Sehun let out a chuckle from Jeonghan's side. "I knew there was a real reason why they called you angel. You're too cute when you're being nice." Sehun complimented, which made Jeonghan blush even more. "Don't worry Han, when it's all over you can just let him down easy and Seungcheol will be none the wiser."

"And when will I know that the bet is over?" Jeonghan asked.

"When Seungcheol says the words 'I love you' to you. Then afterwards, you can tell him you had a change of heart and the bet will be over." Sehun replied.

"Sounds easy enough." Jeonghan said.

"Oh, but Jeonghan...we would also want...updates." Sehun added in.

"Updates?" Jeonghan was now confused. He had thought this was just about proving himself and his charms...so why would they want updates on a fake relationship.

"Yeah...you know, just tell us how things are going. I mean we're giving Seungcheol a chance at what could be his first time experiencing a relationship so I'm interested to know how he would react. If he opens up, if he's really the bad boy they say he is...stuff like that."

"Yeah...and who knows, maybe we'll even get a good laugh out of it too." Kim Minseok, better known as Xiumin, added, which earned him a glare from Sehun, silently telling him to shut up. Jeonghan thought it was weird but assumed that the other senior was attempting to make some lame joke so he chuckled nervously.

"Ignore him Han," Sehun said, apparently getting used to calling Jeonghan by the nickname, much to Jeonghan's delight. "But yeah, just simple updates from time to time to let us know you're keeping up your end of the deal. Sound good?"

"I...I guess." Jeonghan replied, still not too sure about the entire thing.

"Hey," Sehun said, grabbing ahold of one of Jeonghan's hands now, which made Jeonghan's heart beat even faster than it already had been. "You don't have to give us your answer right away....Tell you what, we'll be waiting for you in the carpark after school today and you can give us your answer then. And if you decide to say no, then no worries....but I really hope you do say yes...I just love the idea of you being part of our group." Sehun said with one last smile and then tucking a strand of blonde hair behind Jeonghan's ear.

His words and the sudden act left Jeonghan absolutely speechless as the school bell rang which indicated that lunch was over. The rest of the people at the table got up to leave for their classes, saying goodbye to Jeonghan as they left but Jeonghan stayed seated, still in a daze by what had just happened. He was only brought back to his senses when he felt a hand on his shoulder and he looked up to see Jun and Minghao staring down at him, telling him to get to his next class.

 

 

Jeonghan made it to his next class, Advanced Physics, where he saw Joshua already seated at their shared table, looking through some of his notes. He sat down next to his friend and got the other's attention only after he waved a hand in the American boy's face.

"Earth to Shua, where were you during lunch?"

"Oh...I was helping a friend out with some homework."

"What friend? All of your friends are my friends, so who?" Jeonghan asked.

"Jennie Kim." Joshua replied simply, although his answer was a surprise for Jeonghan.

"Jennie Kim? As in the really cute junior, Jennie Kim? Since when did you two start talking?"

"We don't...she just asked me to help her with some English assignment."

"Shua, you do realize she's fluent in English right? Oh my god, she totally made up that excuse to spend time with you! I think she likes you man!" Jeonghan said excitedly.

"What? Can't be." Joshua said, completely dismissing the idea and going back to his notes. But Jeonghan wanted to have more fun teasing his best friend to he kept pestering like any good friend would do.

"Come on Shua! Don't be such a bore! Did she flirt with you? Did you get her number? Tell meee!" Jeonghan whined while playfully smacking the other's arm and he had to hold in his laugh when Joshua shut his notebook closed and turned to face Jeonghan with the most annoyed expression that he could give.

"You know what, if you want to gossip so bad then why don't you tell me all about your dream lunch with EXO and SNSD. Was it everything you hoped it would be or was it over-hyped like everyone else thought?" Joshua asked.

"It was...different." Jeonghan replied.

"Different? Did they try to ask you to join?" And when Jeonghan didn't reply, Joshua knew the answer. "They did, didn't they? So what crazy thing are they gonna make you do? Wash their cars for a month? Do their homework for the rest of the semester? Dress in drag?"

"No...they....nothing. They didn't ask me to do anything." Jeonghan said but Joshua didn't believe him.

"That...doesn't happen." Joshua said, confused at Jeonghan's reply. "They always pressure people to do things for them...it's their own way of hazing or something like that."

"Well they didn't ask me to do anything like that, Shua. Can't you just take my word for it!"

"Hey, calm down. I'm only asking because I was worried about you. I didn't want to have to watch my best friend do something humiliating just to join some stupid clique."

"Sorry Shua, I didn't mean to snap at you. I just wish you'd have more faith in me."

"I do, it's just that when it comes to that group of people, or anything to do with Sehun really, your judgment gets a little clouded."

"Well this time it wasn't. Can we just drop the topic?" Jeonghan asked, not wanting to continue the conversation.

"Sure...so did you do the homework for this class?" And at that Jeonghan groaned and sank his head down on the desk which made Joshua laugh.

"Shua! This homework counts for a lot of points and I forgot to do it! And Mr. Lee doesn't accept any late work! What am I going to do?" Jeonghan said, starting to panic.

"You're lucky I already knew you'd forget to do it. Here," Joshua said, handing Jeonghan his notebook. "You can copy mine."

"Joshua, you're a life saver! The bestest friend I have!" Jeonghan exclaimed. "Anything you want, it's yours! On me!"

"How about the biggest cheeseburger you can find?"

"Deal! This weekend I'll treat you to the best cheeseburger you've ever had!" Jeonghan said as he pulled out the homework and copied Joshua's. 

As Jeonghan was in the middle of finishing, Woozi and Hoshi entered the classroom and took their seats behind Jeonghan and Joshua. The two boys had made jokes about Jeonghan's forgetfulness and Jeonghan was about to give a sassy reply when the door suddenly opened again and the entire room paused for a moment. 

Just as expected, Choi Seungcheol was the last person to enter the room. And now that Jeonghan was more aware of the other, he hadn't noticed that he had another class with the outcast, maybe even a third...he was just always easy to miss since he always snuck in late and then he would keep to himself and not speak to anyone.

"Do you think he even knows when class starts or does he purposely wait to be the last one?" Hoshi whispered among them.

"I don't think he even cares." Jeonghan replied as he glanced at Seungcheol from the corner of his eye. 

The other boy took his usual seat at the back of the class and as usual, he avoided any and all types of human contact, instead getting out his own homework and an energy drink from his rather old and tatty bookbag and placing it on the table. He sat down, putting his head down and Jeonghan could only guess that the other was going to try and sleep during the entire class. Only, that was hard to do with the commotion that was going on not even two feet away from Seungcheol's desk.

Beside him, a few students were messing about, trying to shoot bunched up sheets of paper into the trashcan across the room and being quite noisy about it. But none of that seemed to bother Seungcheol until one of the boys was accidently shoved into the side of Seungcheol's desk which caused the drink to spill all over Seungcheol's homework. 

"What the hell!" Seungcheol yelled.

"Hey, sorry man. It was an accident." The student tried to explain.

"Sorry isn't gonna bring back my homework! It's completely ruined!" Seungcheol yelled again, this time raising his voice even more which caused the student to back away from him slightly. Seungcheol looked like he was going to say something else when another boy from the group, one of the other student's friends, stepped in front of Seungcheol and shoved him back.

"Hey, back off from my friend!" The boy said. "He said he was sorry! Maybe you should learn to accept an apology." He continued which only caused Seungcheol to glare at both of them. But surprisingly, Seungcheol didn't do anything back and instead just stood there while the group of other students slowly made their way past him. However that all changed when the boy that had gotten all up in Seungcheol's face decided to bump shoulders with the raven haired boy as he passed which caused Seungcheol to grab him by the collar of his shirt roughly until they were standing face to face.

The boy was now scared as Seungcheol gave him his best death glare and the entire class thought a fight was about to break out, but the situation quickly dissolved when they heard the door being opened and everyone could only guess that it was Mr. Lee, one of the strictest teachers in the school who had a low tolerance for...everything. The boys quickly separated and everyone else took their seats as the teacher stepped inside the class. Without even looking up, Mr. Lee went to his desk in the front of his class while he got out some papers from his brief case. He took a few moments to organize himself before he finally asked for the class to turn in their homework assignments. The students then slowly got up from their seats to walk over to their teacher's desk and they all placed their homework down, forming a neat stack, just the way that Mr. Lee liked. Seungcheol was the last to turn his in and he tried to place it down and run back to his seat as quickly as possible, but Mr. Lee stopped him before he could do so.

"Choi Seungcheol....what is the meaning of this?" Mr. Lee asked, holding up the sticky piece of paper that Seungcheol had turned in, the paper completely ruined and the writing barely legible.

"My assignment sir." Seungcheol replied.

"You know I have a no-nonsense policy. If you can't take care of your own work then I won't take the care to grade it. You'll be receiving a zero for it instead."

"Sir! That's not fair! I-"

"I don't want to hear excuses Seungcheol. You can return to your seat now." Mr. Lee said.

"This is bull." Seungcheol muttered under his breath as he turned to walk back to his table, but unfortunately for him, Mr. Lee had heard him.

"You know what, I don't like your attitude Mr. Choi. Why don't you pack up your things and leave my class."

"What?" 

"Don't make me repeat myself Seungcheol, unless you want a detention as well." Mr. Lee warned.

Seungcheol decided not to say anything back and went to his seat to gather up his things and then he made his way to exit the classroom. The students in the class all whispered among themselves and Jeonghan could only watch as the raven haired boy made his way out of the class, slamming the door behind him. Jeonghan had to admit that he felt a little sorry for the other but he was quickly brought out of his thoughts when he heard Mr. Lee announce that class was starting and then proceeded to begin his lecture about the laws of gravity.

 

 

Jeonghan went on with the rest of his day, going from class to class taking down notes and chatting with friends but still thinking about what had happened with Seungcheol in his Physics class and then the choice that he had to make by the end of the day. Being interested in psychology, Jeonghan had always thought that he had a talent for reading people and he had thought that he had a pretty good understanding of mostly everyone at K-Star during the 3 years that he had been there, but seeing that incident with Seungcheol made him rethink his already established assessment of the other. Seungcheol seemed almost scared about receiving one lousy grade which didn't fit the I-don't-care, bad-boy personality that Jeonghan had pegged him for and that intrigued Jeonghan. Maybe there was another side to the school outcast? And if there was then, for some reason, Jeonghan wanted to find out more about it. Maybe this bet would be the perfect opportunity to do just that? Figure out the type of person Choi Seungcheol really was and he'd get the chance to impress Sehun. He'd be killing two birds with one stone and suddenly the idea of saying yes became all the more appealing. So with his mind made up, Jeonghan waited for the last bell to ring and then he could meet up with the boys of EXO to give them his answer.

The bell finally rang and Jeonghan rushed to put away his AB Calculus notes, not even noticing a certain raven practically running to get out of the class because his mind was so preoccupied with meeting up with the group of seniors that he had sat with at lunch. And when Jeonghan was finally done packing away his stuff into his own bookbag, he exited the classroom, only to be caught by Mingyu and Wonwoo who were waiting for him outside of his class.

"Hey, Jeonghan," Mingyu said, grabbing the blonde haired boy's attention. "Do you need a ride home? Wonwoo and I would be more than happy to give you one."

"Thanks Mingyu, but I think I'm gonna take a bus home. There's something I need to do and I don't want you guys waiting for me."

"Are you sure?" Wonwoo asked.

"Yes. Now you two leave and go on a date or something. I gotta go." Jeonghan said as he left the couple to go to the carpark at the side of the school building.

When Jeonghan finally reached the carpark, he saw Sehun waiting for him, just like he said he would, along with Xiumin, Baekhyun, Kim Jongin and Kim Suho. All of them resting against a light blue convertible and looking like models as they talked amongst themselves. It was Sehun who noticed Jeonghan walking towards them and he gave the junior a smile that made Jeonghan's knees weak.

"Han!" The handsome senior greeted and Jeonghan felt the butterflies in his stomach go crazy. "Have you decided what you're gonna do?" Sehun said, now making his way over to Jeonghan until the two were standing face to face. There was a slight height difference between them, Sehun being a few inches taller, and Jeonghan was momentarily distracted by the fact.

"Jeonghan?" Sehun said and Jeonghan snapped out of another one of his daydreams.

"Oh sorry." Jeonghan said shyly, a soft pink tinting his cheeks as he tucked a strand of his long blonde hair behind his ear.

"So, did you come up with an answer?" Sehun asked again.

"Yes!" Jeonghan beamed up at him and Sehun smiled back, already knowing what Jeonghan would say, but wanting to hear the younger say it.

"And?" He asked, taking one of Jeonghan's hands in his as he spoke.

Jeonghan smiled even more at the gesture before giving his answer.

"I'll do it."

 


A/N: And here is chapter 3!! Let me know what you guys thought! Our Jeonghannie actually said yes O.O Now things will start to get even more interesting as he tries to get closer to Cheol LOL I seriously can't wait to write the next update lol I'll try to get it up before the end of the weekend but no promises. And yeah, until next time guys!! Bye!