CHAPTER SEVEN

Meant to Be

Song to listen: BTS - Best Of Me

 It was raining

It was snowing

But all unhappiness stopped

You brought heaven to me 

One week before the comeback Bangtan members were working harder than ever. No one wanted to be the one who slowed down the others or dragged down the group by making mistakes on stage. If there was one thing Jimin has learned in the past year of being an idol it was that netizens were cruel and merciless. All it took was one wrong move, one wrong word and you could end up being a target to thousands of people. He has seen it happen before. It didn’t matter how famous or talented that person was. 

Bangtan weren’t from a big company but they had just enough money and resources to film high quality music videos, hire good choreographers and stylists. In the industry idols were divided into idols from the big three and the others. Bangtan belonged to the latter but not once have they complained about it. They were thankful for every chance they got. Their company was treating them right and even their CEO was a genuinely nice person.

When it came to publicity you could say that they were doing pretty good for a rookie group. During their debut days Taehyung’s pictures went viral. He was wearing a plain white tee and netizens couldn't believe how handsome he looked in a basic shirt. After a few variety shows people fell harder for him and that was how he got his first acting role. His drama Hwarang did good and the members were beyond grateful to him for representing their group in such a good way. 

A few months after that the company arranged a audition for Jungkook. He was accepted and had the chance to perform on King of Masked Singer. As they were rookies people didn’t recognize him and he was able to participate in many episodes. Jimin basically watched his If You cover everyday. Jung kook inspired him for years. He was the one who motivated him to work harder and the one who always made sure that his hyung had a smile on his face. Around the same time Hoseok was contacted by a new show called Hit The Stage. They wanted show rookies and seniors to please as many age groups as possible. He did so well that he got recognized as one of the best rookie dancers and was respected even amongst seniors. The members had celebrated that with a nice dinner with their manager Jin. 

All the members were recognized for something they did well. Everyone expect for Jimin. It wasn’t like he was jealous. Not at all. If anything he was ’s biggest fan. Jimin was grateful for s. He would've never make it this far if he didn't have them. He made sure to prepare breakfast for the member who had individual schedule that day. He was always the first one to send encouraging messages before they performed. Sometimes he would even go online and write nice comments about s or defend them from haters (anonymously of course). Speaking of comments. Jimin had to promise to not read anything people write about them online as it visibly upset it. He didn’t get many hater comments (apart from the occasional “what is he even doing in the group? what is his purpose?”). Others may be grateful for this but Jimin wasn’t. He rarely got nice comments from people, he was rarely recognized for something. That was exactly what he wanted. Just to hear “You did well, Jimin. You’ve worked hard”. He would hear this from s and manager but that wasn't enough. They are just trying to be nice, Jimin would think.

So this song…the song he was recording with Agust D seemed like his only chance. The Jimin from half a year ago would have never agreed. Who was Jimin to do a song with Agust D? He would've been afraid of people’s reactions. But now … What could possibly go wrong?, Jimin thought. Everything was better than being a no one, than being a ghost. Jimin was determined to do his best. Work a hundred times harder than before. He would make sure to take the chance and make everyone proud. 

Speaking of Agust D… Yoongi hyung hasn't contacted me for three days now, Jimin thought. Jimin got used to talking to Yoongi everyday. The texts never got too deep. A simple good morning or fighting was all they wrote to each other but that was more than enough for Jimin to get through the day with a big smile. It was Jimin’s 12th attempt of writing a text to Yoongi. He had never contacted the older first as he was afraid of being to pushy and bothering him. 

 

To: Yoongi hyung ~

Yoongi hyung. How have you been?

No no no. That sounds so formal. You literally didn't talk for three days only. Not three years, Jimin thought.

To: Yoongi hyung ~

Hyung ~ How are you? (>∀<)

And Jimin sent the message thinking, well it can’t get better than that.

Jimin waited and waited. He waited for three hours and was already approached several times by s asking if he was okay. It was getting annoying and after Jungkook asked for the third time Jimin slightly snapped at him. Of course he felt incredibly guilty afterwards and wished that the maknae didn’t immediately went outside so he could apologize. After 15 minutes Jungkook came into the living room where Jimin was sitting on the couch with a blanket on him. The older looked up, ready to apologize but all Jungkook did was threw him a small paper bag and sit next to Jimin. He opened the bag and found a donut inside.

“Hyung I wont ask again but I know that donuts always cheer you up so…” Jungkook looked down embarrassed.

“Kookie hyung is sorry. I didn't mean to be mean to you.”

“I know hyung… you never are.” Was all Jungkook said before lying down and putting his head on Jimin’s lap.

“I couldn't sleep well last night I’ll just take a nap.” he said quietly and closed his eyes.

Jimin looked at him fondly. The youngest always knew what to do or say to make Jimin feel good. If it was any other time Jimin would hesitate and not even eat the donut but being touched by the youngest thoughtfulness he made sure to eat it up. Jimin loved eating it made him happy but the day he read the first internet comments about him being a little chubby he made sure to cut off half of his meals and work out every day.

Jungkook’s comfort and warmth made Jimin feel tired as well and shortly after he fell asleep as well.

Jimin felt himself getting soaked slightly and hear a low voice whisper.

“Chim chim, Jungkook wake up.”

When he opened his eyes he saw the other two members getting ready. As he glanced at the clock he realized, oh shoot we have practice in half an hour.

“Get ready guys we have practice” he heard Hoseok say. He glanced at Jungkook who was still sleeping in his lap. He woke him up by shaking him lightly. He was tired still. The short nap didn’t do much but he felt better than before. He changed out of his clothes eyes still burning from the urge to continue sleeping. After everyone was ready they went out and their manager was waiting outside their building to take them to the company. Only in the car did the think of checking his phone. And there it was. The text he was waiting for.

 

From: Yoongi hyung ~

Hi Jiminie I’m good what about you?

Sorry I haven't contacted you 

hyung was busy with album preparations.

 

Call him cheesy but the nickname made Jimin’s heart flutter like nothing else. It wasn't like he wasn't used to nicknames but he didn't think that Yoongi would like him enough to speak comfortably. Honestly after not hearing anything from him for three days Jimin convinced himself that he annoyed Yoongi and that all there was between them was a business relationship. He wasn't sure if it really was anything more than business but even the thought of it made Jimin feel warm inside.

 

To: Yoongi hyung ~

Its ok hyung!! 

I didn't know about your album 

Fighting (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)و

From: Yoongi hyung ~

You too! 

It’s a secret hahah I will release one in three weeks 

Our song will be on it too!

Our song, Jimin thought cheeks getting red.

To: Yoongi hyung ~

I’m sure it’ll be amazing hyung

Your secret is safe with me !(•̀ᴗ•́)و ̑̑