Chapter One

The Queen's Dragon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Water has many sounds; it can be chiming and piercing or a mere deep hum. It is so much more than just a loud whoosh or a soft gurgle. Sometimes it’s gentle, almost hushing. Soothing like the most calming lullaby of lands from afar and tells almost too old to be told. Other times it’s an ear-shattering loud and ground shaking. Manipulative and empathic similar to bloodthirsty battle songs. Intense like heavy war drums, preparing men for the combat and cry for the clashing of steel. While trumpets call for courage and pride and roaring tubas, mourning for the fallen. Mostly it is like a madrigal or a march, happily gushing and addictively mumbling while it flows through the city. The fulminant hymn of Afohnies is everything but never quiet.

Except for this one fateful day, when the Watergates were closed and forced Mother Nature to go against the law of the tides. As the main river, Afohn runs in the opposite direction. It’s was the day when the city swathed in silence. Windows covered with the town’s beautiful navy blue flag embroidered with a magnificent silver Dragon - the cities emblem and patron; Leviathan. Blood red flowers are thrown into the water, and elegantly searched their ways around the shrill neigh of the protesting Kelpies. They were not used to pull those heavy ballasted galleons across the canal.

It could have been a day like every other day in Afohnies; it surely started like one. The Dockworkers just set for an early brunch, as the port cleared exceptionally fast today. Punctuality is a must in the harbor, as the tides never wait of the tardy. Once the direction turns the chance to move out is gone till the tides reserve again. Of course, there are the sluices which could manually change the orientation of the main canal. It is frown upon to use, but the main reason might just be that it is quite costly. Since most people try to avoid any extra expenses, it became a rarity to exceptional urgencies. Hence it comes to no surprise that the closing of the gate can quickly grow to an attraction. Children would sneak out or skip school, and even workers close the doors to see the falls retain the water.

However, it is never idle for long at the port. As soon as the tides would have set and the current steadies the piers become lively and busy yet again. In the early morning and always tight the late night fishers return, and soon after the daily business starts. The fishermen and anglers who haven't been out at night leave first. Then the larger vessels set sail and lastly the ferries. The tides would change around noon again, which meant lunchtime for the port workers. A break they are more than grateful for as they need to be ready for the hardest and most hectic time of the day. Afternoon, that's when the fluyts of the traders will arrive. Despite the up-pulling strength of the current; fully loaded cargo ships are often too chunky to manage to go upstream by themselves. Kelpies were harnessed to help the ships maneuver into safe harbor.

Afohnies locates in between two countries, Landar and Vanon and parts two big oceans Medan and Miracific. It almost looks like the both countries were split apart and according to historical dated fairy tales, that's exactly what has happened. But those were tells from a long forgotten time. With no records. Not even in the great books of the castle's library. At least not to Sohee’s knowledge and she has more or less secretly read almost all the books her family has gathered. Or as many as she could have managed in her young life of just twenty-four years or Var-Dai festivals. The most important days of the year. A festival of cleansing, celebrating their independence and liberty, and honoring the gods and patrons. They were a lot of entertaining activities during the three days the festival lasted. Some rather dangerous, such as the Kelpie rodeo, others competitive like the fishing contest another compelling as the ship-soapbox canal race. Musician duel with each other, creating the prettiest duet with the towns own melody. Magician, captivate the heart of the public with their tricks, and acrobats fascinate with their flexibility and dangerous stunts. The market is packed with rarities from all over the world, as some merchants only came by for those days of the year. Knowing alluring stories from countries further away then the maps show, awakening children's imagination. The highlights are to everyone different. To Sohee it is the floating lanterns, which mark the end of the merry feast.
There is something magical about lanterns. Maybe it’s the little burning flame, which flickers happily in its beautiful prison. They warm and solace its spends or how it illuminates the darkest hours. It's absolutely enchanting when they float. The lights dance through the city almost as if spirited. Reality and dream merge, and a faint shine of the candles is enough to enlighten the water roads. As the light reflects from the shining surface, casting deli

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter