viii. seulgi

kissed and cursed

It wasn’t as absurd as it was to learn that Seulgi was in the realm of Greek gods as well, she thought. Seulgi couldn’t really comprehend much of what Hermes was saying most of the time, but the words “protect Joohyun” was enough for her to say yes to whatever grand plan he had prior.

 

            It was after Joohyun had admitted to Seulgi about her curse when the latter began praying to the god of thieves. Or to any god in general. It started when she went home, pausing every once in a while because her best friend was cursed to kiss the same person everyday or else she’ll die.

 

            “Everything okay, sweetheart?” Seulgi’s mom asked when she came in with a blank face, no thoughts head empty. “What’s wrong?”

 

            “Nothing, Mum. Just had a long day.”

 

            “Mm, go rest now, sweetie.”

 

            “Okay.”

 

            Seulgi went to her room and locked the door behind her, blinking back tears because she can’t imagine what would happen if Joohyun were to die because she can’t… kiss someone?

 

            What kind of curse was that?

 

            Not fair.

 

            She went to her computer and turned it on, looking up gods and goddesses and curses and everything else in between. Aphrodite—goddess of love. Turns out she’s the most beautiful person you’ve ever seen, all while holding someone at gunpoint with a curse of love. Like Joohyun.

 

            Who can she ask help for?

 

            Hephaestus, Aphrodite’s husband? Reading more, he realized they weren’t exactly on good terms, and that the goddess snogged with Ares instead.

 

            What a mess, she thought. It was already messy knowing gods and goddesses existed in this world, but more so knowing that her best friend’s life was intertwined with it throughout her life.

 

            Who can she pray to?

 

            Zeus? He sounds like a conceited . Poseidon? Rumor is it that he’s scary, being the Earthshaker and all that. Hades? Maybe unless she wanted a death wish on someone. Apollo? Maybe. Hermes? Maybe she can have the god of messengers talk to Aphrodite about the curse so she can cancel it.

 

            Persephone? Having been cursed by her husband to stay down with him during colder months? Would she be more understanding and help Seulgi?

 

            She doesn’t know anymore.

 

            There’s too many names and gods of whatever for her to remember and thus, she just went alphabetically.

 

            She prayed to Apollo and Artemis first, every night and every morning she would send a prayer to the twins and hope someone would listen to her.

 

            Not one reply, or anything at all.

 

            Until she prayed for Hermes.

 

            At this point she was getting desperate, getting angrier and whatnot because it’s not fair that someone as pure as Joohyun had to get a cursed life. To essentially love only one person unless she craves death by lack of lips.

 

            “Please, help me.”

 

            A crack sounded in the air, and suddenly there were lyres all around playing. She suddenly felt mischievous, like she wanted to prank people and such. Be a rebel.

 

            “Hello, Seulgi.”

 

            Seulgi jumped in her skin and whirled around. “Who’re you and what are you doing here?!” She scanned the surroundings as quickly as she could, her eyes landing on the person who suddenly appeared. “And why are you floating?”

 

            “That’s a very lackluster reaction to a god appearing in front of you,” the stranger smirked, looking impressed and shocked at the same time.

 

            “God?” Seulgi stared at him, not really processing that she successfully summoned a god in her room after days of praying and offerings.

 

            He bowed; “Hermes, at your service. I heard your prayers, little one.”

 

            “Hermes?!” Seulgi backed away, tripping over her own two feet. “What’re you doing here?!”

 

            “You asked for me, remember? Help Joohyun, my best friend, from a curse by Aphrodite?”

 

            “Oh yeah.”

 

            “So I’m here to help!”

 

            “What’s in it for you?”

 

            “The satisfaction of helping a mortal again and again is entertaining for a god like me. So I’m sure you can keep me interested in the mortal realm since I’m there every other day, anyway.”

 

            “Why?”

 

            “Why what?”

 

            “Why are you here every other day?”

 

            “Just godly duties.”

 

            “Like?”

 

            “Look, do you want me to help or not?” The impish eyes were bright and shining, like a hidden deal between the two of them that Seulgi would be losing at the same time as she would win. Consequences were something to be expected with Greek gods, she read on the internet.

 

            But then, without these consequences she wouldn’t be able to help Joohyun.

 

            “Deal.”

 

~o~

 

“What do you mean Seulgi is your ward?! You haven’t taken a ward in for 70 years!” Apollo exclaimed, genuinely confused and perhaps suspicious.

 

            Seungwan couldn’t blame him. What were the chances of the three of them being in the Greek world? She wondered if Irene knew…

 

            “How did this happen,” Aphrodite paled, her beautiful face turning white as paper. Despite the frown and the furrowed brows, she still looked ethereal.

 

            “Wait, no one knows?” Seungwan paused, looking between the three gods and Seulgi, who was still frowning and pouting and Seungwan was still in shock.

 

            “As you all should,” Hermes put a hand over Seulgi’s shoulder. “Did I use the phrase right?”

 

            Seulgi sniffed, “Yeah. As you should.”

           

            “Thanks.”

 

            “What about Irene? Where’d she go?” Seungwan wondered, looking at the door, finding a trace of Irene through the wisps of the air.

 

            “I’ve no clue.”


 

hello, I'm back. im inspired lately!!!

HAPPY VALENTINES!!