Chapter 1

Don't Say Sorry

“Your sister....” Dad’s voice trailed off. “It may be cancer.”

 

Those four words made my heart sink. Those four words sent shivers down my spine. Dad was looking at me solemnly, the rim around his eyes slightly red.

 

“Oh.”

 

It was the only word that escaped from my mouth. I had thousands of questions racing at the back of my mind but all I could say was “Oh”. I excused myself and ran up the stairs, passing by my sister’s bedroom. The door was left ajar. From the hallway, I could see the silhouette of her back against the door. She looked like she was asleep. Or was she crying?  I would never know.

 

Trudging back to my room, I closed the door quietly and sat there in darkness.

 

No. This can’t be happening. This cannot be!

 

The voice in my head screamed. I refused to accept it and I made myself think dad was sprouting nonsense.

 

Dad must have gotten it wrong. The biopsy results aren’t even out yet, how can he say such an absurd thing? Why is he cursing Minhee?!

 

As much as Jimin wanted to believe it was all just a nightmare, his mind wouldn’t cooperate. Instead, it began painting the worst case scenarios possible, causing him to break into tears.

 

~~~ 

 

(Flashback ; 3rd POV)

 

Park Minhee used to be neighbours with Park Jimin. Being born in the same year, they both became classmates in both pre-school and kindergarden classes since the age of 3. Although they are of the same age, Minhee always saw Jimin as an older brother. She loved calling him “Oppa”, which made the latter cringe and sulk every time that word came to his ears.

 

“Don’t call me oppa, I hate that!” Jimin would rebut. Only to earn a few more teases from the girl.

 

As they were both an only child, their mothers would joke that they hope to become in-laws should their child fail to find a partner by 30.

 

Happy times don’t last. When Minhee turned 5, she lost both her doting parents in a horrible car crash on a fateful December night. They were planning to drive up to Jeju Island for a short stay-cation over the weekends in celebration for her birthday. Little did she know the happy occasion was not to be. There was a heavy storm that evening, power lines were cut, tree branches were swaying violently with the strong wind.Visibility was very poor but Minhee’s father was a safe driver. They could have lived if not for their poor luck. A speeding oncoming truck had skid at the bend and came crashing into their car, pronouncing her parents dead on the spot.

 

And that was how Jimin’s parents decided to adopt the poor girl, saving her from being an orphan. That was how they ended up as siblings.

 

Despite losing the people dearest to her, Minhee soon found strength and was back to her bubbly persona in no time. Or maybe it was because she could be around the boy she admired, even in the name of a sister. Even when she was seen as an annoying non-blood related sister.

 

The years went by swiftly and the Park siblings soon grew up as fine young adults. Jimin, passionate about arts and music, ended up signing on with an entertainment company. It wasn’t the Big 3 but he was grateful to be given a chance to prove his worth. Minhee, on the other hand, who always had a flair for writing, pursued literature in one of the most prestigious universities in South Korea. Due to having similar interests, the duo ended up getting closer as the years passed.

 

Just when everyone thought things were finally falling into place, fate had to play on joke on them. It all happened when Minhee broke the silence at the dining table a week ago, “Appa and Eomma came into my dreams last night. They were looking at me with tears in their eyes,” she said. “What do you think that meant?”

 

How could they have foreseen her days with the Park family were short-lived…

 

Soon after Minhee fell sick. Her lack of appetite was worrisome when the clothes she wore began looking like it was 2 sizes bigger than before. To top it off, her complaint of persistent bloatedness despite over the counter gastric medications warrants medical attention. Sensing something amiss, their parents brought Minhee to the hospital the day before, only to return with news they wish were untrue.

 

(Flashback ends ;  3rd POV)

~ ~ ~

 

I could not and will not believe what Dad said.

 

Cancer? It can’t be. The Biopsy test result would come out as just a benign tumour. Aren’t cysts and fibroids a common thing nowadays?

 

“Stop thinking too much you fool!” I shook my head, as if it would help shake away the worry and fear growing inside me.

 

Minhee-ya, you’re going to be alright, right?