Three

The Drowned One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dongho had thought he was dead when he woke to find himself in a room, light showing clearly from the walls themselves and allowing him to make out the beautiful girl standing over him. The colors seemed at once both as if he were underwater and as if he was not, because color lost it's hue after a certain depth, and the woman before him definitely had bright red hair. And yet when the girl ripped his scuba regulator off of his face and he inadvertently took a breath, he could only register confusion. Air, thin as if he were on a mountaintop, but it was air nonetheless, and then his confusion melted away into awe. "Am I..." he began, unsure how to phrase his question as he turned to look at the golden walls and archaic artwork hanging on them. Was this heaven? "Am I dead?"

Then the girl answered and he realized why she seemed familiar. She was the one who had dragged him down! His head whipped around and he looked at her, really looked for the first time, trying to discern what she was. His mind said that it was impossible to swim at those depths without scuba gear and yet he knew what he had seen. Or had his mind made that up as a part of the oxygen narcosis, and he was really up on the surface?

And then he realized what she had called him. "Uh... you're human too," he stated slowly, looking once again at her form. No fins, no gills, just a slender girl clad in skin-tight green clothing. To which he blushed at the last realization, because she was a beautiful girl despite the cruel twist to her features.

That expression only darkened at his words and she took a step forward, her fists clenched as she threw his regulator and mask to the side. "I am not a human, you pathetic monster," she growled.

The sheer ferocity and hatred rising off of her took him aback and he actually stepped back away from her. Hands went up and he held them, palm forward to show he meant no harm. "I'm.... sorry?" he said slowly, not sure what to say when it seemed he couldn't say anything right. Beside that, his head was throbbing and he realized that he might be suffering from the effects of going too deep too fast. Maybe this was all a hallucination?

The girl huffed and turned away from him, tossing her hair back over the shoulder as she did so. Water droplets flicked from the strands and hit Dongho's face, and he gave a start at the impact. "You're a prisoner, human. And you'll face trial for your actions."

It was all too surreal, too put on, too impossible, that Dongho couldn't help it. He began to laugh, sitting down on the floor as uncontrollable giggles rose from him. She gave him the most incredulous of looks but he couldn't stop the unbelieving sound that emanated from his throat. "Tell me this is a joke, that someone put you up to it," he practically begged, confusion and awe and a good healthy dose of fear warring within him as he looked up at her. "I really don't know anyone here, so I don't know who could have, but still. Please."

The anger that had coated her features melted just a bit as she looked at him, a tiny line appearing between her brows as she watched his hysterics. opened twice but she said nothing either time, merely finally shaking her head as she leaned against the wall. She studied him as he pulled himself back together, trying to get his mind straight.

Dongho took a deep breath as his giggles subsided, trying to get in as much of the thin air as possible to clear the pounding headache that had begun in the front of his skull. One hand came up to press into his forehead, trying to ease the pain, his eyes scrunching shut. "I don't understand," he said slowly, very nearly plaintively.

To his surprise the girl spoke then, without the malice that had coated her words before. "You really are completely naive, aren't you." It wasn't a question, and while he didn't usually consider himself so, he had to agree with her in this case. His slow nod only seemed to serve to frustrate her, though, because she slammed her fists against the wall behind her and stomped her foot to the floor.

He looked up at her then, wondering what he had done to cause such a reaction, his hand dropping back to his lap. "I'm sorry?" he ventured, to which she shook her head.

"Shut up!" she growled, turning away from him, which only served to add to his confusion. He didn't want to ask what he had done, because he was pretty sure that she would just react in anger, but he didn't know how else to get answers. But he never had been good at confrontation, usually just letting it roll over him as the drama subsided by itself, so he sat in awkward silence as he watched her.

She was stunning, really, something that he hadn't been able to see when he face was so twisted with ang

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter