Ending

The Drowned One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yeri didn't wait for Dongho to answer, merely turning on her heel and taking off down the hall. He didn't want to be left behind and as such, he followed her, through the halls of a beautiful home and out onto the city streets. Panic was everywhere, with none of the reserved feel that these people had given off before, and to add to it there were people shouting about rebellion, too. It was the water that fell in steady drops that caught his attention, though, leaks from above that grew bigger and fell faster with each moment that passed.

Yeri saw him looking at the streams in the sky and nodded at him grimly. "It shouldn't have broken yet, the rebellion must have... I don't know. Bumped the globe, or something. It doesn't matter now. We have to swim for it."

Dongho was shaking his head halfway through her sentence. "I can't, Yeri. I won't survive it, I can't swim that fast. And I don't have enough air in my tank."

The look she gave him was an expression torn between sympathy and irritation: she must be frustrated that she had to look after him. And yet he knew that she had people that she was assigned to protect, people she was supposed to evacuate, and he was not one of them. "Go on, get them out," he told her softly.

Pity did cross her eyes then, but she nodded at his selflessness. "I'll come back if I can," she told him, then hurried off to find her charges.

Dongho wasn't going to just stand there and die, though. He knew his tank didn't have enough air to get him properly to the surface but maybe it would be enough to be a fighting chance. He had to take a moment to recognize where in the city he was, but once he did, he set off in a run for where he had been staying. Luckily in their panic no one tried to stop him, instead running about on their own errands, and so he entered his room without any interference.

His scuba gear was still where he had left it, and he pulled his wetsuit on as fast as he could before grabbing up the rest of his gear and making for the door. If he was calculating right, the force of the water crashing in was what was the biggest danger for him in that moment. He needed to get into the ocean itself to have any chances of surviving the dome's fall.

And so he headed for the launching balcony, the one that had been pointed out to him several days prior. There were people crowded about it, all making preparations to launch when they could, but to his surprise no one had made the leap yet. Then again, if what Yeri said about their bodies being able to withstand the pressure was true, then they didnt actually need to make the leap until the dome actually fell. He, on the other hand, needed out before it came down!

"Excuse me," he said, over and over as he tried to push his way through the crowd. He got a lot of frowns and all worried faces, but no one moved to actually stop him until he had almost reached the launching balcony.

Then a tall young man stepped in front of him with a deep frown on his handsome face. "You have to wait," he began, eyes scanning Dongho's strange gear.

Before the human could explain himself, Irene stepped up to place a hand on the man's arm. "Mino," she said softly, and it was the look in her eyes that told Dongho that this was her man. "His body is too fragile, he won't survive the dome falling. I'll make the jump with him to get him into the water."

Mino's frown deepened, but he didn't argue with her, and so Irene beckoned Dongho forward. He took a moment to strap on the rest of his gear as the other man watched skeptically, then he was ready. Irene gave him a gentle smile and stepped behind him to wrap him in a back-hug. "Hold on to my arms," she told him softly, with what he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter