Topaz

Midnight Howl

Blue topaz is associated with overcoming obstacles.

Kris threw his phone aside angrily as he got a text from Jongin. The male had sent a cheeky picture of him sitting next to a passed out Yixing, his tan hand resting on the Chinese male's upper thigh. Jongin had that stupid smirk on his face. Kris picked up his phone and called the male.

"Hey boss man."

"Hands off, unless you want me to shoot it off"

There was chatter in the background before someone else answered for Jongin, "Hey, it's Baek. Sorry, Kai was just being an idiot as usual." There was a faint shout of protest in the background but Baekhyun must've ignored him, "Anyway, we should be arriving in other twenty minutes. Is everything ready?"

Kris set a file down that he was holding in his hand, "Yea, Suho is doing the last of the touch ups in his room."

"Alright. I'll keep Kai in check."

Kris bit back a smile, "I knew I could always count on you Baek." With that he hung up.

He slumped in his office chair, rubbing his forehead as he tried to get himself organized. As Kris was filing away the last of the scattered folders, the door slowly freaked open. One of the wolves who were sitting in the corner raised her head, growling softly before resting her muzzle on her paws.

"God, you've had those two for years and they still scare the out of me."

Kris looked up, "All done Junmyeon?"

The brown haired male nodded, flicking a loose curl off his face, "Yea. His room is all set." Junmyeon faltered, "But Boss..."

Kris looked up, unhappy with the hesitating tone of the later.

"I've heard chatter pick up underground....they are suspecting us for capturing the Blood Rose clan and handing them over to the cops."

Kris shrugged, "It's a name on the list Junmyeon."

Junmyeon sighed, "Kris. Some of our allies are pulling out. They don't want to be partnered with someone who rats out their own."

Kris slammed a file on the desk, looking murderously at Junmyeon, "First of all, the Blood Rose clan are not one of us. They've done terrible, terrible things and they ended up on my father's list." He paused, calming down a bit before sitting back in his chair, "Second of all, there is an easy solution. Deny we did anything and bring back that weapons trade with that one gang from China, the one that's pretty close with the Blood Rose clan. That should clear us up."

Junmyeon nodded and stood up, "Alright. I'll send Jongdae over."

Kris raised an finger, "You too. Jongdae gets a little trigger happy with all those guns."

Junmyeon bit back a smile, "Yea, we don't want a repeat of the Great 2012 incident."

Kris scowled, "One never talks about the Great 2012 incident."

"Oh you mean how Jongdae literally shot your pants of-"

"Out!"

Junmyeon cackled as he walked out of the office room. Kris shook his head in disbelief as he stood up. The once shy, small boy was now a confident man who wasn't afraid to fight for what he believes in.

Kris still remembers the day he first met Junmyeon. It was almost a decade ago, Kris must've been fifteen, almost sixteen. He was angry at his father. The older Wu had missed his birthday party. By that age, Kris understood what his father did and he understood that his father couldn't always be around but he had promised to be there for his birthday. So when Kris's father showed up at almost one in the morning with a shivering boy, Kris was angry.

Junmyeon was small. He was delicate, pale and looked like a walking skeleton. Kris thought he was weak.

It was the complete opposite. Junmyeon was strong. He was a fighter.

When a deal went bad, Kris's father was forced to take the other gang down. As they were raiding the main headquarters, Junmyeon was found in a cage. When Kris first heard the story, he couldn't believe his ears. Who would ever put a young teenage boy in a cage?

Sick bastards, that's who.

Kris immediately spread his protection over Junmyeon. No one got away with hurting the smaller male. Junmyeon was Kris's friend, companion and advisor. Even though the brown haired male was younger than the said ganglord, Junmyeon had seen things, experienced things, beyond his age. He could always distance himself from the problem and give an unbiased solution.

That's why he was so important to Kris's father and his mission. The former Wu had a reputation of being a cold businessman, successful enough to drive an entire industry forward. But just after Kris was born, his mother was murdered. It wasn't even intentional, she had just gotten caught in the crossfire of a gang war. An innocent woman..gone, a life had been snuffed out over a small packet of white powder.

That's why Kris's father backed out of his company and created his 'wolf pack' as he so affectionally called them. 

In a little over two decades, the man had built an empire, all surrounded by the mission of taking down the other gangs who were tainting the city, gangs who hurt the innocent. Kris's father became a legend of sorts. They had to do some bad things, just to fit in. But over the years, the things that kept Kris up at night, he could do them with his eyes closed. His heart was locked up, sealed in a cage that no one could get to.

Things were going well until a couple of years ago. Kris had just turned twenty and was celebrating his birthday. But someone, a rival gang member, slipped in and killed his father. Kris found the male and got his revenge. But as Kris's father died, he pleaded Kris to continue with his mission. He had left a list, a list of gangs that had to be destroyed. Kris, with tears in his eyes and his hands stained with his father's blood, agreed. And yesterday, Kris got to cross off yet another name on the list.

With only a handful more to go, Kris was beginning to see the end of the mission. But he was scared. He didn't know anything but the wolf pack. He knew only of lying, intimidating.....killing.  Kris sighed and stood up. He straightened his bomber jacket, frowning as he scratched at a suspiciously red stain on the sleeve.

"Damn it." He whispered as he tried to wipe away the color. Finally, he gave up and walked out of his office. After his father's death, Kris decided to move everything underground...literally. He used their old mansion as a front but underneath it was a labyrinth of rooms, storage spaces, training facilities and armories.

Kris walked to the elevator, nodding a greeting at some people who walked past him. He pressed the '0' button and let the elevator door close. Kris leaned against the side of the elevator as it slowly rose through the levels. The silence was broke by his phone ringing. Kris pulled it out of his pocket and answered the call.

"Hello?"

"Boss man! He's here."

"I'm coming."

With that Kris hung up. The elevator doors slid open and Kris stepped out into the wine felled of the mansion. He grabbed an old bottle, one that had been made the same year his parents got married and walked upstairs. He faltered when he saw Baekhyun and Jongin fumble into the kitchen, struggling to hold an unconscious man. Kris sighed and set the wine bottle down. He held out his arms and took the sleeping male from Jongin and Baekhyun. In a single fluid motion, he balance the male over his shoulder.

"Don't touch my wine." Kris said gruffly before turning around. He walked up the stairs god why were there so many and into the room Junmyeon had specially prepared. Kris felt a pang of remorse that this was the way to bring this man into his life but it had to be done. Kris set the dimpled male down on the soft bed and pulled the fluffy pastel covers over him.

Kris stood straight and found himself in a trance. His eyes glazed over the smaller's face. He had never seen anything so....delicate. Kris turned and pulled the shades down, even though the sun had long set. He switched on a small light on the ceiling, one that illuminated the room in a soft blue hue.

Kris walked back to the bed. Unable to stop himself, he leaned down. As his lips brushed the smaller's forehead, Kris whispered his goodnight softly.

"Welcome home queen."