"I'm a little selfish."

The Deadline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In the debate club Jimin was a part of, there was no silence. One would think a serious club like this one would mean the members buried their face in their books and computers trying to learn about facts and trivia.

But apparently, debators were just running around with a microphone in their hands shouting jokes, and those who weren't running were laughing and clapping. Some were even asleep.

Except Jimin a few other, of course. 

Jimin was just a regular member, but the way the club captain treated him was as though he was one of the inner circle members. Yoongi was more than glad to see his boyfriend being treated the way he deserved. No wonder he never complained about his club activities.

"Remember to state statistics, it wins points." The captain advised Jimin. "At least from me. I don't know about other judges. Heck, I don't even know who the other judges will be."

"Just don't get cold feet," his mentor added. Jimin nodded obediently. "I believe in you, my dearest mentee."

"Awww, I'm touched!"

So the debate challenge was this coming weekend and Yoongi was given a free ticket (privilege of having a boyfriend being in the club that hosted the said challenge!) and Jimin kept making Yoongi reassure him that he'd show up no matter what. Since the challenge would be on Friday after school hour, Yoongi had no problem coming.

Yoongi had been accompanying Jimin to his practice so much that if he had to, he could substitute any of the debators for this challenge. That was just hypothetical, obviously, since Yoongi had stage fright and would prefer to die than stand before an audience. And this was one of the many other reasons why Yoongi was so fascinated with Jimin—he was so brave and outgoing he made everything seemed so easy and simple. While Yoongi would rather hide behind Jin if they were in a gathering, Jimin was definitely someone who started a conversation with strangers and able to keep it too.

As much as Yoongi loved being behind the camera, he now finally found his inspiration for working hard to achieve his dream, the sunshine of his life, the orange blossom, the smell of hot chocolate on rainy days—he finally found his muse.

 

--

 

Right before the challenge started, Yoongi received a message from Jin. Jin asked to see him immediately, saying there was something important he needed to tell Yoongi. Not wanting to upset Jimin or made him worried that he'd be back late, Yoongi just slipped away without anyone noticed.

He ran like he had never run before in his life. He got to where Jin was in the next minute, panting so hard he could feel his heart in his throat.

"Hey, what..." Yoongi in a deep breath before he continued. "What is it? What's so urgent that it has to be said now? If you're not aware, Jimin is having a public debate challenge and I need to be there for him."

Jin turned around, face unreadable.

"The bet is still on."

Yoongi lost his footing and almost fell over. He stared at his best friend.

"What are you saying? Jin, I-"

"Just one more month." Jin said. "You can do it."

"That's not the point!" Yoongi felt the heat rising in his chest and all over his face. He had thought his best friend understood him when they called the bet off. And he had never mentioned it as well for weeks now.

Why now?

"We agreed to stop." Yoongi said more calmly. "You understood where I was coming from."

"Are you afraid of losing?"

"ing no! Jin, I can't do that to Jimin anymore!"

"Can't do what? Lying?"

"Lying and taking advantage of him! I can't do that! He doesn't deserve that."

Jin scoffed, which fueled Yoongi's anger even more.

"What changed your mind?" Jin asked. "You were so determined before."

"And what changed yours?" Yoongi fired back. "You should have asked me that a month ago when I called it off! Why now?"

"Because I need you to finish this bet."

"Gosh!" Yoongi shoved the hair off his face. He stared at his best friend. He wasn't familiar with this boy anymore. It was like a whole new person. "I'll do your homework for you forever, goddammit. Just let me off."

"It's not about homework anymore," Jin sadly smiled. "I need you to do this. Just one more month."

"I don't want to."

"Just one more month." Jin repeated. "Stay with Jimin just for one more month."

"You know damn well I'm not going to break up with him."

You're not, Jin thought to himself, but he will. And it will hurt.

"Then, see you on the last day of the semester, Yoongi."

And I'm sorry.

 

--

 

An hour earlier

 

"What do you mean?" Jin never thought Park Jimin would call him to meet up. Not after the last meeting.

But now that they were sitting face to face and Jimin having his debate challenge t-shirt on, Jin knew he was going to have another migraine after this talk.

"You heard me," Jimin shrugged.

"Yeah, I did. It's just... what do you mean you want to bet too? It's over."

"Not for me,"

"Jimin."

"Either you accept this bet or your friend will never see me again. Choose."

"What do you want, Jimin?" Jin was sure he made the sweet boy become this heartless. He was sure. It was all his fault.

"A one-month bet on whether or not Yoongi would win his previous bet."

"That's ridiculous. There is no more previous bet."

"There is if I say there is." Jimin stared. "Do you accept my bet or not?"

Jin couldn't help but wish he could

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter