"That's what friends do."

The Deadline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Of course we can talk. We are talking now, aren't we?"

Jimin said. He did sound a bit sarcastic but Yoongi tried not to focus on that.

He rolled his eyes. "That's not what I meant."

"Well, that's what I understood."

"Well, if you don't mind risking your boyfriend waking up in the middle of our talk, then we can talk here."

Jimin stared at him, his eyes were dark and unreadable. He sighed, gesturing Yoongi to follow him out into the porch. The night breeze was harsh against their skin and unwillingly, Jimin shivered. Yoongi wanted to offer his jacket, but he couldn't cross the line like that. He watched his ex-boyfriend—whom he was still very much in love with—wrapped his arms around himself before he turned to face Yoongi.

"Okay, what do you want to say?"

"Sorry about what I said in the car." Yoongi breathed. His nose felt a bit stuffy. But his chest felt heavier at what he said next, "I probably made you uncomfortable."

"Probably."

He looked to Jimin with every yearning embedded in his gaze. "But still, I meant it."

"Yoongi..."

"I was wrong and I deserve everything. You leaving me was the most logical and reasonable reaction." Yoongi reached to caress Jimin's cheek. Jimin stayed still at the touch. "But it still hurts, Jimin ah."

Jimin remained quiet as he looked into Yoongi's brown eyes. He could see the pain in them because he also saw the same pain in his own eyes every time he looked into the mirror. But the pain was inevitable. After all, they both had ed up in their own stupid way.

Back then, they were young and stupid and felt like they had nothing lose.

"Is it wrong that I moved on?" Jimin whispered, his voice shaky.

Yoongi shook his head, his hand still on Jimin's cheek. Jimin had every right to move on and be happy. Heck, Yoongi wouldn't want anything less for him. He deserved the world and Namjoon could give him that. Namjoon was the best choice.

"You're not wrong to want to be happy, Jimin."

"Then why do I feel so guilty?" Jimin reached up to grab Yoongi's hand and as gently as he could, he pulled it away. Yoongi watched Jimin sniffing, his nose was red due to the cold. 

"I'm sorry if I made you feel so."

Jimin shook his head. "You don't have to say sorry so much. I am responsible for my own feelings."

Jimin finally looked Yoongi in the eyes. Those brown eyes were still as warm as Yoongi had remembered. But something about them changed as well. They were warm, but they were just as... empty. The life that was once in them were now replaced with just lights that barely shone through. His eyelids were heavy and Yoongi could tell that Jimin tried not to yawn.

"Maybe we're doing this all wrong," Yoongi took a subtle step back, giving Jimin his space. There was this sudden thought that raced through his head as he looked at his exhausted ex-boyfriend. Jimin needed to be able to relax. Yoongi wanted to give him that.

"Maybe we need to agree on something." He forced out a smile. Jimin was listening. "You should try to stop hating me while I try to move on, too. I mean, we're all adults here, right? We can learn to co-exist. Be friends again."

Something in their chest ignited. Like the spark of pain just spread and now they were caught in the middle of a forest fire. Yoongi regretted it instantly.

Jimin took in a shaky breath. "Friends,"

"Yeah. Like you and Hoseok, me and Namjoon. Friends. You and I, we can be friends too."

"Friends," Jimin whispered to himself. "Yeah, we can. We can put our past behind us and... get along again. Be friends."

Yoongi hated himself for even suggesting that in the first place. Now what? Jimin actually wanted to be friends again and he couldn't even smile at the acceptance. He was such a hypocrite. 

"Maybe not immediately, though," Yoongi mumbled. He saw Jimin frown and quickly added, "Give me some times. I'll... I'll try. To move on."

"Do you have someone?"

Yoongi's knees were weak at the question. How could Jimin even ask that? How could he ever look at someone else the way he looked at Jimin? There's no one else, he wanted to yell that.

But instead, he chuckled and looked to his ex-boyfriend with a heart that ached and eyes that heavy.

And he said, "Yeah, there's this club-mate..."

"Oh,"

"But we're not... exclusive."

Jimin nodded, quiet.

"It's a she, by the way."

"...oh."

Yoongi wanted to kill himself at this point, maybe smoldering himself when he got to his room or banging his head against the mattress. Why did he have to tell Jimin that?!

He took in a deep breath, waiting for Jimin to say something else. Jimin took his moment.

"Okay. Um... how much time do you need, Yoongi?"

Forever.

"A couple weeks," Yoongi shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe months. I'm a slow-worker."

"How about three months?"

That was low. But when he saw the sincerity in Jimin's gaze, Yoongi wasn't sure if Jimin had intended to poke their wound or had he truly thought that 3 months was an appropriate duration.

"3 months," Yoongi found himself nodding. He couldn't even cry because well, apparently he and Jimin were friends now. At least, he had 3 months to try and get used to it. Wow. He hated himself.

He wondered if he could get a girlfriend before that time was up.

Yoongi considered the outstretched hand in front of him. Jimin waited for him to shake his hand and he seemed fine so far so nothing's wrong about being friends, right?

Yoongi shook Jimin's hand, his chest ached. His hand was so warm and soft.

No. Everything's wrong. 

 

--

 

The next morning was supposed to be less awkward between the two of them. And in a way, it was—at least on Jimin's side. He sat down to have his breakfast with Namjoon and they were feeding each other, sharing food they didn't like, and they were in their own little world the whole time while Yoongi watched. Yoongi was sitting right next to Namjoon, which was ironic and he wanted to kill himself only four times before he finished eating.

Yoongi had to pull out his phone and distracted himself with his blog. Comments were flooding in asking who the new model was and whether or not he could be Yoongi's new 'equivalent to the sky'. Yoongi didn't reply to any because he wasn't in the mood to explain that Taehyung had

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter