005

Stay
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Song recommendation:

Jeon Minju, Yuna Kim ft Hyunkyu of Bromance - Goodbye Rain Sistar - Lonely Winner - Fool

No relationship is perfect

There are always some ways you have to bend, to compromise, to give something up in order to gain something greater

He felt proud as the food served beautifully. And nervous. He felt his heart was beating crazily. He prepared everything in her home. On the floor, petals of roses formed a heart shape. He prepared romantic candle light dinner. And the only thing left, how was he going to say to Chaeyeon? Why was proposing so hard?

“Ehm, Yeon-ah. How long are we in relationship? I— nah. Too long. Too cheesy. Wait. Ehm, Yeon-ah, will you –nah. Too short. Oh God this is so hard. What should I say to her?” He said desperately. His tummy growled madly. He glanced at the clock. He gasped when he realized it was already 8.10 p.m and Chaeyeon still nowhere. The food he made was not warm anymore. The candles were melting.

But on top of everything, he felt worry.

Where did she go? She didn’t say anything this morning when he asked her the time she would be home. He grabbed his phone. Nothing. Chaeyeon didn’t send a single text. He tried to call her but nothing, his called directed to her voice call.

She drove him mad.

His worry washed a bit as he heard a car stopped in front of the gate. He took a peek on the windows just to make sure it was really Chaeyeon who came home. True, it was her. Coming out from a black sport car. The car that awfully familiar for his liking. No longer after that, a man went out from driver side toward her. He took her hand to make her stop and spun her around. The lamp made the man’s face could be seen clearly. His eyes widened due to shock. That man was kkamjjong. He was Kai. His friend His childhood friend also his company business partner. The friend that he talked with over the phone no longer ago.

He... What was Kai doing with Chaeyeon? His Chaeyeon?

“One of our friend also said he would announce good thing tomorrow.”

Suddenly he felt something bad when he remembered what Suho had said.

“I need to pick someone right now.”

What did it mean?

“Yepp. He is my friend. Jongin was a sweet friend of me. I felt like I know him forever.”

“Sehun-ah, Jongin comes to the office today. And he made me feel ashamed on having a friend like him for the first time. Guess what? He asked forgiveness while wearing teddy bear costume. But isn’t it sweet? Are you going to use the cuter costume for me?”

“Kim Jongin! You freak—”

Kim Jongin.

Kai.

Kkamjjong.

Why he didn’t realize it before? Why he never suspect that the Jongin Chaeyeon always mentioned was his friend Kim Jongin?

Why? Among people named Kim Jongin, it must be his friend? His own friend? It’s not the end. His eyes are glued to two people outside. They seemed they were in serious talk. They seemed in heated argument.

What was wrong?

What...

Sehun felt his heart stop beating for a second. His throat tightened as his eyes felt so hot. He felt suffocated as his soul felt like slowly leaving his body when he saw Chaeyeon and Kai, kissing. His brain stop working as he saw Chaeyeon, kissed Kai back.

His heart was broken into pieces.

Suddenly, everything was blurred.  

He wanted to scream. He wanted to run to them and hit Kai hard. He wanted to kill Kai. But his right mind woke him up. Chaeyeon would leave him for Kai.

Everything was waste.

He should have knew the day she didn’t return his “I love you” anymore was the day her love fade out slowly. Why was this so hurt? Didn’t she know how much his love toward her? Didn’t he proof to her enough? What he had lacked while Kai had not? What was so special about Kai until she forgot she had him for years? Was all these years meant nothing for her?

Was these days they spent together, meant nothing for her? Was it only her body with him while her heart was on Kai already?

Did he hurt her that bad?

Was she really cheat on him?

Or not?

Maybe, just maybe there was a reason about the kiss. Maybe Chaeyeon would tell him soon. Yeah. Chaeyeon would tell him and they would solve this misunderstanding.

He walked away from the window and decided to go to her room. The dinner and proposal were long forgotten. He laid on her bed. Her scent that always made him calm, it made his heart constrict with pain. The uninvited tears fell again on his cheeks that he quickly wiped it off.

For the first time, he felt helpless. He felt like dying. The pain when his mother ran away from home was nothing compared on what he felt. He wanted to get angry but all he could do was stayed and tried to assure himself that Chaeyeon was doing nothing behind his back. They were only friend. Maybe it was only a hug. Maybe his eyes were doing some trick on him.

Yeah.

He chose to numb his feeling. He chose to be stupid and pretending nothing happened. So what if Chaeyeon really cheat on his back? If Kai could made her swayed, he could make her as his again. He would never let Chaeyeon went away from his life just like his mother did. If being dumb would make her stay, he would be dumb forever and pretend like he saw nothing.

He couldn’t bear on losing Chaeyeon.

“Oh,” He heard Chaeyeon gasped quietly. She walked closer to him. She was examining Sehun in the darkness. He felt her behind his back. He felt her hand was caressing his hair. He felt her lips touch his temple before he heard the door opened and closed. He felt angry.

Those lips, she kissed Kai with those lips. Kai kissed her lips just a minute ago. He felt disgust. He didn’t know that was the first time, he felt nothing but broken heart when Chaeyeon near him.

As if nothing happened, Sehun tried to act normal. Day one after that incident, Chaeyeon still didn’t talk about it to him. Since the morning came, Chaeyeon started to think that something happened with Sehun. When she woke up, Sehun was nowhere. His side felt cold. The only thing that Chaeyeon sure Sehun was there last night was crumpled on his side.

When she walked outside, the room felt cold. No smell of coffee. No good morning from him like he used to do. No messages. Nothing. This was strange enough because Sehun never left without a single message. Count it post it note or maybe a simple text.

Maybe Sehun was getting busy again?

Their so-called honeymoon phase was officially end then.

She went to the dining room, the bread was still full. Usually Sehun would ate bread when he needed to go early but Chaeyeon couldn’t cook for him. But he didn’t even take a bread. She walked to the kitchen. The sink was clean, mean Sehun wasn’t taking anything. Didn’t it mean Sehun wasn’t taking anything for breakfast?

Should she cooked for him and delivered it on the way to her office?

“The last thing I need right now is distraction, hyung.”

Her heart constrict in pain. She remembered it clearly when Sehun said it. He didn’t want a distraction. And she, delivering a breakfast although it was because she worried about him was a distraction for him. She didn’t want to be a distraction for Sehun. That was the reason why she didn’t tell Sehun she had to go to Jeju. She only wanted to spend her time before her flight but in the end she had to face reality that Sehun didn’t want to meet anyone.

She felt broken heart that time. She did remember how everyone looked at her with pity. She remembered how Kai console her.

Kai.

Suddenly the kissed last night was coming into her mind.

When her office time end, Kai was already there, leaning against his car. He looked hesitant. For the first time, the self-confidence Kai always had was nowhere. He looked anxious as if something bad might happened when he said something.

“Jongin, what are you doing here?”

“Picking you up? Well, you have nothing tonight, right? Let’s hangout.”

She chuckled. Kai was not usually being like that. So they just hangout around and ate dinner. But something she had been realized, Kai was different that night. He awfully being romantic. He usually did so, but that night was different.

And when they arrived on her home, he dropped the bomb.

“Chae, I love you. I’m sorry but I do love you.”

It shocked Chaeyeon to death. Kai, her best friend, told her he loved her. The best friend whom always console her everytime she had argument with Sehun. The best friend whom always erase her tears every time she cried because of Sehun. The best friend that always support her and gave her new family... why?

“Jongin-ah...”

“I know you have boyfriend. But why did you stay with him when he gave nothing to you but broken heart each time he did something stupid? I promise you, Chae, I will never do it to you. I will cherish you. I will never let you down.”

“J-Jongin-ah. Please, don’t. You are my best friend. Please don’t ruin it. And I love Sehun. You know it so well.”

“No! You don’t love him anymore. If you love him, you will choose him over me. You remember how many time you run to me when I ask you to even though you’re with Sehun? You don’t love him anymore, Chae. It just a habit. And you can forget him slowly. I will help you to forget him.”

Something fired her. She felt angry to Kai. How dare he said it all? Without she realized it, her hand slapped his cheek hard. They could heard the sound of their skin contact. A guilt crept on her heart. Especially when she saw pain inside his eyes.

She couldn’t do it. She went out from his car but Kai followed her quickly. He grabbed her hand tightly and spun her around. For a nanosecond, his lips are on hers already.

His lips felt sweet. She felt something sparked inside her heart. The kiss, it was almost similar when she kissed Sehun.

Sehun!

She pushed him hard quickly. Her eyes widened in horror.

“You see, Chae? You also like me.”

“You are out of your mind tonight, Kai. Let’s just called it memories and I will never be yours. I love Sehun, Kai. And I hope you respect it. I can accept you as my best friend, but nothing more. I’m sorry Kai.”

With that, she left without turning back.

She sighed. So, what would happened now? Her project with Kai was still running. They needed about 2 months more to finish the project. But for a while meeting Kai was not an option. Whatever it was, she would never thought about it. She would pretend that everything was never happened. This way, no one would get hurt.

Meanwhile in Sehun’s office...

They knew it was a cold morning. But when Sehun came, the air turned colder than it was before. His cold demeanor he usually showed was nowhere but something worst was replacing it. He looked he could kill someone with only one glance. He looked lethal. It made no one dare to come closer to him.

Once he opened his eyes this morning, Chaeyeon’s face the first thing he saw. But it didn’t feel like usual, her face suffocated him. Her face sent back a memory he would never wanted to remember. Her face killed him.

It was enough for him to leave. He couldn’t even left a single message for her to know Sehun had to go to office. He couldn’t even eat. He felt like he would throw up in a second he stayed with her.

“Sehun! Let’s go and have a party! You look gloomy today. Tell us, are you failed to get ‘ehm’ that with Chaeyeon?” Baekhyun, being one of his insensitive friend ever talked cheerfully despite Sehun’s sour expression. Chanyeol next to him face palmed.

“I’m not coming.”

“Eyyy. C’mon! What’s wrong with you guys? Kai canceled and now you?” Hearing Kai’s name sent him to edge. His knuckles tightening without he realized it. This was so ed up. He was so ed up. “Why everyone is being party pooper?! Let’s go Yeol, Suho hyung.”

Sehun said nothing but went out toward his own car w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter