004

Stay
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One by one people came in to meeting room. For a moment Chaeyeon was nervous. She kept pacing back and forth. Biting her thumbnail, and she even went to bathroom for three times. She just felt nervous. She never handle a project this big. What if she messed up? What if she did something and ruined everything?

“Excuse me, Miss.”

Chaeyeon jumped in surprise. She turned around and saw Kai, smiled brightly. Her eyebrows furrowed. What was he doing? Whatever it was, she felt thankful because Kai came and somehow it made her felt a bit ease.

He offered a pot of small plant.

“What is this? Why did you give me a plant? Like, seriously, Jongin?”

He chuckled. He gave her a bucket of chocolate flavor ice cream. He got to be kidding her, right? How come he knew what she really need? She gave him a hug before dig into the bucket full of ice cream. She need to calm her nerve. She couldn’t be focus if she kept nervous and chocolate ice cream is the best!

“I don’t want to give you flower because maybe you will ruin your presentation somehow because you are too nervous—”

“You —”

“—and why I give you plant? Because it just reminder, baby. You need an effort to gain something. You can keep it alive if do your best to take care of it. But if you believe you’ll make it die before you even try, you’ll make it die although you try your best because you have no belief in what you do.”

Chaeyeon blinked. Once, twice.

Was he really Kai? Her best friend?

Or... did he knock his head on something before? Oh my God. Chaeyeon never saw Kai being so... awesome and sweet.

“You are the best!”

“I know. Hurry eat your ice cream. Your presentation will start in fifteen minutes.”

She nodded.

“And... will you be here after I’m done?”

He was smirking, evilly.

“Why? You can’t go away from me? Sure. If you treat me a lunch and maybe a dinner? Hey! Let’s have dinner in my home, with Chanwook too. And maybe we can celebrate something after?”

“Call!”

“Good. You know, Chae? You are awesome. You can do anything. I know you will not ruining anything.”

Fifteen minutes surely went quickly. She came into the meeting room and every eyes in that room on her immediately. Once again, she felt nervous. She walked to the podium. The lamp was becoming dim right before the last person coming.

The CEO came next to her. He gave Chaeyeon warm smile and support.  

“Annyeonghaseyo. I see everyone is here already. Let me introduce to everyone the team of this Jeju project. From Starsix Company, we have Lee Chaeyeon who will be the leader and from SS Group we have Kim Jongin as the leader. Lee Chaeyeon-ssi, you can start the presentation.”

Their eyes suddenly met. Kai saw how surprise Chaeyeon was. Quite funny. He clearly have fun here and it made Chaeyeon felt annoyed. What a good friend he is? He knew from the start that they would worked together but he said nothing to her? He even made her nervous and calm in the same time. That’s why he always said Chaeyeon will success on this project?

Even she knew she would work together with Kai, because he also knew her presentation thousand times, she still tried her best. And the presentation ended well. There was nothing wrong. Everyone agreed with Chaeyeon’s proposal, and everything finally done.

Kai was offering her handshake but she gave him hug instead. She felt so great. Never in her life felt this great. And everything because of Kai. He always be there for her, support her, and tricked her! Right!

She slapped his arms hard and he winched in pain.

“Ya!! What’s that for?”

“You ! You trick me! You know you will work with me since the start!”

“So?”

“You could’ve told me!”

“And?”

“Gah! I forgive you for today.”

“As if you can stay mad on me forever. You love me too much to stay mad on me.”

“You jerk.”

He laughed whole heartedly. “Let’s work together, Lee Chaeyeon-ssi. Let’s do the best.”

She smacked his arm once again, annoyed. Kai was always be the mischievous and full of surprise. Rather than saying sorry, he was laughing his off and then circling his arm around her neck. He ruffled her hair playfully.

“Let’s find something to eat. I’m hungry.”

“I don’t want to eat with someone as cruel as you.”

He rise his eyebrows. Wondering if she was serious about rejecting his offer. “Really? Your lost then. I plan to eat spicy chicken. Maybe a glass of coke will be a good match. But too sad, I have to eat them alone.”

She never hate someone this much before. Kai was so annoying. He tricked her with her favorite foods. She quickly pushed him out and told him to wait outside for her to take her purse. Kai chuckled, saw how cute Chaeyeon acted. He shook his head.

The two was heading to her favorite place that also becoming Kai’s favorite place after she introduced the place to Kai. Like a kid, the two was fighting to get chicken more. They even betting on a game. Whoever lost on the game, they should have to pay foods and the winner would get one more set spicy chicken.

Kai was quietly eyeing Chaeyeon. She looked so happy. These days she looked so stress because of presentation. And also with her relationship with Sehun just another reason to add more stress for her. He was glad he could make Chaeyeon smiled again.

He just loved her smile. He just loved whenever she felt happy.

Every time she smiled, she looked like an angel. A fallen angel. Her smiled send a calm vibes to him. The sound of her voice was such a beautiful melody. Yeah. Not to mention, she also everything you could call beautiful. Just be with her, he felt like he could do anything in this world. Although he has lots of problem, just her encourage smile could bring his self-confidence to solve everything. She gave him courage more to face everything. She was his power. And slowly, she was also being his weakness.

His weakness.

Blink. Blink.

Suddenly, his heart was beating unusually. He knew this kind of heartbeat will lead to somewhere. Was this feeling he felt possible? Was he... falling for Chaeyeon too fast? He wanted to prevent it from happening. For God’s sake. Chaeyeon already has someone. And he would only felt broken heart later.

But, why not? There was no reason for him not to fall for Chaeyeon except she already had someone.

Yeah. Someone who chose his work over his girlfriend.

He 100% serious he would never let Chaeyeon waste. If only she was being his, he would never neglected her. He would never made her disappointed. He would throw away everything in this world and ran to her immediately every time she needed him. He would never broke her heart.

He would take care of her like she was a gem. A precious gem.

But no. No Kai.

You could not do that. He was debating inside. What he felt was so wrong. He couldn’t continue this feeling. It would only hurt him in the end. And maybe he would hurt Chaeyeon too. She was his precious friend that unfortunately he also fallen for.

Why he has to fall in love with wrong person and in the wrong time? After these years of looking for someone, after he finally found her, why she has to be someone else’s?

“Jongin?” He blinked his eyes rapidly. In front of him, Chaeyeon was looking at him with her bright innocent eyes. Looking at her didn’t help at all. It made his heart beat painfully.

Confirmed.

He is dead.

Chaeyeon would be the death of him. He was so pathetic.

“Ya. You okay?”

“Y-yeah. Why not.”

“You look lost. And I mean you really lost! I WIN!” She cheered happily, infecting a smile to Kai as well. He didn’t really care if he lost anyway. He was planning to let Chaeyeon win since the beginning. Only a simple thing, Chaeyeon could be happy over a simple thing. It was never hard to make her smile widely. And every time he made her smile, he felt proud. He felt good.

After eat, he drove Chaeyeon home. Another day they spent together, another day to bring them closer.

Day by day passed. Chaeyeon and Kai got closer than before meanwhile her relationship with Sehun was getting nowhere. If the first week Chaeyeon was getting busy and they could talk maybe four times a week, after a month later, they were talking once a week or once every 2 week. Although sometime Sehun would surprise her with sudden visitation or maybe sent her a bucket of flower. But you could count it with your fingers how many times they would talk in a month. Slowly, they were drifting apart.

When they met, they talked nothing beside work and how they spent time with work. After two weeks, Sehun finally knew that Chaeyeon was currently handling a Jeju project that made her fly to Jeju every weekend and sometime on weekday. Their time together was getting less and lessen.

Honestly, it scared Sehun.

He felt the distance of their relationship already. But he chose to keep it silence. He didn’t want to give Chaeyeon another burden. He didn’t want to make her attention divided and disturbed her focus. Also, he needed to focus. Just for two weeks and his project would end. After that he would gave all his time for Chaeyeon. He was not going to take a big project anytime soon. His priority would be Chaeyeon and how to save their relationship.

“Oh, Sehun-ah. You are still here? I thought you went out with Chanyeol and Baekhyun for lunch?”

“No. I need to finish this report.”

“You know, take a rest for a while would not kill you. Your project would be fine.”

“Hyung, you know how important this one is for me.”

“I know, but you are working too hard. You know, you rarely spend your day with Chaeyeon. You only sit in your seat and work since morning until morning. If you always be like this, no, I’m not praying for your unlucky, but if you continue doing something like this, Chaeyeon probably will grow tired.” No answer from Sehun. His eyes fixed on the document he was reading. Suho sighed deeply. It’s hard to convince Sehun. And also, he felt pity on Chaeyeon. Not only once or twice, Chaeyeon would always rejected by Sehun every time she came just to take her boyfriend for lunch.

It just, Suho noticed that Chaeyeon didn’t come for weeks. She never came out with them again. He didn’t know her reason. Was it because she busy with her project or she went tired on Sehun? Honestly, although he knew it wasn’t his business, but Sehun and Chaeyeon’s relationship right now was affecting everyone.

He didn’t want Chaeyeon drifted apart from him and the boys just because of Sehun. And he didn’t want to imagine how broken heart Sehun would be when Chaeyeon left him for good. He knew deep down, Sehun really love Chaeyeon. He knew that Sehun was working his out just to assure bright future for Chaeyeon. But it just wrong. Sehun couldn’t just work even though he did it for Chaeyeon. But in the process, he hurt Chaeyeon more. It would only lead the girl had wrong idea. Sooner or later, he knew Chaeyeon would slipped from Sehun’s fingers. And when that day come, Suho didn’t know how to save both of them.

“Just go for a while, Sehun. I think you can surprise Chaeyeon with lunch date. What do you think?”

Sehun’s eyes still on the document but his fingers stop on typing the report. “The last thing I need right now is distraction, hyung. I think you have a meeting with Team Leader Yoo?”

Suho exhaled desperately. Sehun was too hard headed. Once he settled his mind on something, it was really hard to shake him. “You know Sehun, you will never know how precious something is before you lose them. Before it’s getting too late, you better step up. Divide you time wisely. Choose which one is more precious for you. I just hope the best for you, Sehun-ah. I’m off. Don’t forget to get lunch.”

After Suho left, Sehun was all alone. Somehow, his heart was beating crazily. It was not a good sign. He felt fear crept on his chest and it tugged his heart painfully. He felt uneasy. He didn’t know but Suho’s word disturbed him all day. He didn’t like it at all. He didn’t like how Suho managed to add insecurities inside him.

New week past roughly. Sehun barely alive. He felt restless. And lack communication between him and Chaeyeon didn’t help him at all. Finally Sehun finished his project. Everyone was satisfied with his hard work, including his father. He was so proud of Sehun and promised a promotion for Sehun soon.

With a light heart, he drove to Chaeyeon’s place. He was thinking about meeting Chaeyeon. He felt giddy. He felt like a teenager all over again. After weeks, finally he could met her. His mind drifted to the minute before he went out from the building. When

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter