4. Scent

Their Alpha

"You smell good," the omega purred. "Like, really, really good." 

"Thanks," you responded curtly. For weeks now, since the beginning of the new semester, this girl has been trying to seduce you. 

"Alpha," she cooed, you cringed. 

"Krystal, please. The lecture is about to start." You saw from the corner of your eye the girl pout, obviously displeased by your lack of attention to her. You weren't sure what to do to get the point across that you were not interested in her anymore than you have already attempted. 

You managed to ignore her as much as possible the rest of the class, despite her countless attempts of getting your attention. This including the seven times she dropped her pen; half the time within your reach so you could pick it up and hand it to her, the other three times so she could bend over to flash you her s or show you how round her was. You were utterly uncomfortable and annoyed by now, so when the professor dismissed the class you were all ready to get the hell out of there. Unfortunately you had to pick up your graded test from the pile at the front first. 

Your eyes scanned the messy desk, tests thrown around by fellow, inconsiderate students, you searched for yours and spotted one of the few marked 'A's with your name on it. Mentally cheering you reached out to snatch up your test, your feet already facing the door ready to escape— 

"Alpha, you got an A?"  That whiny voice pricked your ears and you wanted to tear your hair out with frustration. 

You forced a smile on your face. "Yes, I did. What did you get Krystal?" Said omega girl showed you her paper, the letter 'B' marred it. "Good job." You congratulated, hoping that was all. But of course it wasn't. 

"I'm not very good in this subject." Cue the forced, and pitiful, pout. "Alpha, do you think you could tutor me?" You did not miss the mischievous sparkle in Krystal's eyes nor the internal struggle she must have gone through to keep that smirk at bay from forming a full-fledge grin. Krystal thought she had you, but you were quicker than her. 

"Actually Krystal I can't, I'm sorry." You said, trying to sound apologetic. "I already tutor someone in this subject." 

"You do?!"

Ah, there was that bratty edge back in her voice. You wanted to laugh at the sheer annoyance and disbelief written on the omega's face. After all, school just started again a few weeks ago, to have tutoring already set up meant either someone was really struggling or you were lying. Krystal thought she was going to catch you, when she demanded to know who it was you were tutoring you tried to get by by saying the person preferred to not have their business flaunted. But you should have known, Krystal would not accept that. 

"Kim Jongin." You blurted, the name that you noticed next to the only 'D' on the graded tests. 

"What?!" 

"Huh?" 

Krystal looked almost outraged as a dazed looking male sauntered over, he looked sleepy but still had a healthy glow— must've been due to his natural tan. 

"D-Did one of you, um, just call my name?" The tan and slim man asked, purposely refusing to make any sort of eye contact. He must've been shy, you assumed. 

"Alpha did. She says she's tutoring you." Krystal sneered.

The young man said nothing, just bit the inside of his cheek as he dared to sneak a glance at the desk with only his graded test left. You watched him visibly flinch, he must've really hated seeing that score. 

"Yup!" You chirped before the guy could gather his bearings and say anything to contradict you. "Jongin and I have our first session today. We gotta go now cause I only have an hour before I need to head to work so see you next class Krystal! Bye!" You looped your arm around Jongin's right arm, while snatching up his test in your free hand, and dragged the poor guy out of the class without any wait for Krystal's response. 

"Hey, ease up beta." You playfully teased when you noticed how tense the guy was beside you. 

"I-I'm not a beta." He muttered. 

"Oh?" You said surprised. "My apologies, your scent is just weak alpha." You excused, not mentioning that the guy also really lacked muscle definition as an alpha, he was on the skinny side for sure. "Anyways, you're Jongin?" When the guy silently nods you grin and introduce yourself. "I really owe you one for helping me out back there. That chick's been harassing me for weeks now. Typical needy omega." You rolled your eyes. 

Jongin didn't want to admit the sharp pain that jabbed his heart when he heard you say that. He finally found what he thought may have been a straight female alpha, from the way you reacted to the other female coming on to you, but you weren't into omegas at all it seemed. How bothersome and disappointing. 

"Hey Jongin, I hate to bring this up, especially 'cause I don't want to hurt your pride or ego. But do you think you would like me to tutor you? I wouldn't charge you or anything, I just figured you helped me get Krystal off my back so I could return the favor." You offered. 

Jongin blinked, trying to figure out why offering that would offend him— but then he remembered you were still under the impression he was an alpha. An alpha with a weak scent he might add, when in fact all it was was Jongin's cousin Joonmyeon's scent all over him. Jongin was wearing the older's hoodie and Joonmyeon had a habit of scent-blocking Jongin's own omega scent and covering with his whenever they hung out, something Joonmyeon did to prevent Jongin from getting bullied as a child but the habit just never went away. 

"If it wouldn't be too much trouble for you, I actually could use a tutor." Jongin finally replied with a slight blush dusting his cheeks— you thought it was an adorable sight. 

A grin bloomed across your face. "Of course! Here, let's trade phone numbers. I wasn't lying when I said I have work in an hour, I actually do. And I'm always running late there so today I'm trying to show up on time." 

Jongin nodded understandingly, albeit a little hesitantly. He liked being around you, you had a calming effect on him and he didn't feel that nervous when you were next to him. He knew it was because you were an alpha and him an omega, that's how the chemistry worked, but Jongin couldn't help but feel like there was more to it than that. But what would he know? He was flunking biology this semester already.