Separated

Stratagem
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tao

 

The mountain air had a chill in its breeze. It rustled the pines around them and still had the faint scent of smoke.

But Tao was more focused on trying to keep his hands from squeezing the teleportation out of Kai.

"Take us back."

"No," Kai hissed, tapping on his hand to let go of his shirt collar.

He sighed and complied, helping his friend off the ground. They were in front of the cave Suho and Lay had used as their base just a few days ago. He peered inside and saw the two patches of dried blood where he and Kris were bleeding their lives out. They really were at Kertuk Mountain again.

He turned toward Kai who was standing close to the edge of the cliff, taking a deep breath and looking out over the scenery like a mountain hiker. Tao came up next to him and looked down at the valley. There were two hours before the sun would set, but the tall rocks filled the forest below with shadows.

"Are you really going to do this?" Tao asked.

"I have to."

"Commander Lang would only see this as disobedience, and whatever great favor we get won't matter. We're already dead."

"But what if this is part of our trials? My trial. What if I'm suppose to do this?"

Tao thought of Lay's guess at the trials being their memories. He would have remembered if he was brought on an unauthorized assassination mission against his will by his friend. And why would they have to go through an experience they had already gone through?

He put the myriad of growing questions in the back of his mind. He had more pressing things to deal with at the moment.

"Kai, none of us know how these trials work or what they really are. We don't even know where this labyrinth we were dropped into is suppose to be. How can you know what you're suppose to do?"

"I just have to do this."

Tao glanced at him. The look in his eyes was different. On the battlefield, he was eager and anxious for action. His enthusiasm radiated out of his teleport spots and buzzed the air.

But there wasn't any of that. The look in his eyes wasn't fierce passion for praise or favor or even the sake of the army.

It was desperation.

Tao was thinking of ways to convince Kai to return home when he heard a noise behind him. It was faint, like the thud of someone being thrown onto the floor. Then there was a muffled voice and a rustle in the bushes behind them.

Someone was here.

"Kai," he whispered. He put his hand on his shoulder to point out that they weren't alone, but he knocked his hand off.

"If you don't want to help then stay here. I'll teleport us back when I'm done."

"Kai--"

"Forget it, Tao. I'm not changing my--"

He grabbed his wrists, yanked him from the edge, and twisted them up his back, hooking a leg in front of Kai's.

"Get away when you get the chance," Tao said in his ear before forcing him forward and tripping his legs out from under him. He planted a knee into his back and a hand to his head, pinning him to the ground.

"Don't bother getting up, spy!" he said loudly, hoping to get the attention of the strangers. "I caught you."

Kai wriggled in his grip, just enough for Tao to know he had caught on to his act. Footsteps grew louder, and two men came out of the bushes, both in Yaelumian army outfits and armed with swords.

One of them was big and burly, his shirt nearly bursting from the span of his muscles. He seemed to have a permanent sneer on his face as he swaggered out in front of them. The other was slim and not as tall, but he was built enough for Tao to notice. He was cautious and followed behind slowly, flicking his gaze between Tao and Kai.

"Well, what do you know? There was a spy around camp," The bigger said, smacking the smaller on the back. He practically flew forward. "You're not useless after all."

The smaller rubbed his shoulder and let out a strained smile. "Always a man of words. Never a dull moment with you, Grut."

Grut threw a punch into his stomach, and he stumbled backwards before falling to the floor. Tao could tell that he moved before the full impact of punch connected, but Grut didn't seem to notice.

"Watch your mouth, little town boy. You want another gravel lunch?"

"No, sir."

"That's better." Grut turned to Tao and jerked a finger back into the brush. "Get this lowlife to camp."

Tao tensed. Kai needed a chance to get away without alerting anymore people. If he escaped while taking him to this camp, the noise from fighting could attract others from the camp. He didn't know if it was close, but he wasn't going to take the risk.

 If he used

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter