The Judgement Court

Stratagem
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tao

 

Tao's eyes shot open, only to shut them again at a blinding white. He blinked until they adjusted to the brightness and looked around. The room was seamless. The thin crease where walls would meet and ceilings would form were nonexistent. When he felt the floor, his hand slipped past the elevation he was sitting on, dangling below his seat.

No enemy had this advanced technology. Defying gravity and eliminating depth perception to this extent wasn't possible.

Tao stood, testing the ground for good measure. Every step was solid. He punched the air, made a double roundhouse kick at an imaginary enemy. He wasn't fatigued or injured.

Tao remembered they were in their barracks, sitting in the living room and talking. He couldn't recall being knocked out or even being ambushed. His innate feeling to know the time wasn't helping him either. It was as if the room existed in a location that was timeless. He had to regroup with his unit.

"Suho ge?" He whispered the name of their leader, listening for footsteps or signs of alarm.

Taking a step, Tao stopped when he heard a thud from behind him. He whipped around to see a door as white as the space around it. The gray knob stuck out against the white, and it was the only thing that didn't make him blink every three seconds. He approached the door, hands up in defense, and turned the knob.

He was brought to another white space, but this one resembled an actual room. The ceiling stretched high above him, and a white bench almost as high sat in the center. People with feathery wings were carved between its pillars, showering flower petals over the judge's scale below them. Their leader had once showed him a book of pictures filled with giant carvings of stone like the one before him. He said they were called 'sculptures' and were to be admired. Seeing one in person, Tao could see why. He walked closer, reaching out to touch the engraving.

A hand came down on his shoulder. Tao grabbed the attached wrist and threw his attacker down to the floor, pressing his arm to their neck. His eyes widened at the sight of his friend.

"Lay ge?" He let go and helped him up. "What're you doing here?"

He coughed and rubbed his now purple-red throat. "Getting attacked, apparently. Any harder, and you would've crushed an ordinary person's windpipe."

"But we're not ordinary people." Tao watched the bruise disappear in a matter of seconds and sighed.

He was glad that it was Lay who had sneaked up on him instead of one of the others. Lay could restore the health of any living thing, from minor cuts and bruises to people on the verge of death, and his body did the same thing naturally. He was precise, full of logic, and buried his time in scientific research. Tao didn't want to think of what could've happened if he had accidentally attacked any of his other team mates.

"Where do you think we are?" Tao asked.

"I don't know. I've never seen or heard of anything like this before. What do you remember?"

"We were in the barracks, just talking and relaxing."

Lay looked surprised. "That's it?"

"Do you remember something different?"

Tao thought he saw him hesitate for a moment, something he never did, but then he shook his head.

"Nevermind. I was hoping for something more useful to our current situation. Was this room where you woke up?"

"No, I came in through that..."

Tao faltered as he saw that the door he came through was gone.

"The door I came through disappeared too. Whatever is keeping us here, it wants to keep us together."

A thud on the far left caught Tao's attention. Another white door had manifested itself on the wall, identical to the one Tao came through. He drew Lay behind him and readied his stance, the gray doorknob turning.

A familiar head of brown hair popped through the doorway. He swiveled his eyes around the room with his mouth in an "O" shape. A hand shoved him into the room, and another walked inside, Tao relaxing as they did.

"Baekhyun ge," he greeted. "You could have your head chopped off if you walk around enemy territory like that."

"That's only because Kris hyung here pushed me," Baekhyun said, landing a play

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter