Forget-Me-Not

The Real Me

Bong Hee quickly turned the corner and covered to hold back a sob, stopping only when she made sure that she wouldn't be seen anymore.

 

She took a deep breath and leaned on the wall, her eyes red and hands trembling. She was confident that she would be able to handle it today, preparing herself for days just for this dreaded moment ever since she saw his name as Prosecutor-in-charge of the case she was handling. She didn't want to make excuses to refuse the case that Mr. Byun gave her. She was professional, she should not be picky with her clients just because the case had him as the opposition.

 

It was her first big case after all. Bong Hee had only been assisting as a partner lawyer of Eun Hyuk ever since she officially joined the firm. She wanted to be be more confident before handling cases on her own so the moment she saw Ji Wook's name, she had felt that the universe was really against her.

 

Well, it wouldn't be a problem since she had already moved on.....right?

 

Bong Hee thought she was doing well when she was at the court a while ago but the moment she heard him talking to her directly and asking her if they could talk, it was like a tap was opened and all the feelings she had bottled up during the trial came gushing out and she wanted to cry so badly in front of him. It took so much willpower for her to make up an excuse and escape.

 

She could only wish that he didn't notice anything.

 

You did well.

 

She mentally congratulated herself, trying to cheer up despite the breakdown. She sniffed and wiped away the lingering tears when she bumped into someone. "Oh i'm so--"

 

"Bong Hee-shi." Eun Hyuk looked down to her with concern.

 

She quickly straightened up and flashed out a smile even though it didn't reach her eyes. "You came? I didn't know you would be finishing up your trial by the same time haha...."

 

"i saw what happened." He stared at her with understanding, "So is it him?"

 

She looked down in panic. She had actually told Eun Hyuk not too long ago about her heartbreak because he was so insistent in knowing why she was so sad during the beginning of her internship. They were drinking at a pocha and she couldn't hold her tongue and told him everything except for a name. She had even congratulated herself for having the tiniest resolve not to reveal everything despite being drunk but it seems it's out in the open now.

 

She cleared and walked ahead of him, bringing up her calm exterior in place. "It's nothing."

 

Eun Hyuk silently followed her as they went towards her car and she turned to him with determined eyes. "I'm fine Lawyer Ji. Thank you. I'm okay now. I was just overwhelmed a while ago, it's been too long..." she had a distant look in her face.

 

He gently places a hand on her arm and offered a reassuring grip. "You know i'm here for you right? You can talk to me anytime." he smiles and Bong Hee responds with a smile of her own. She was always so thankful for his constant presence and she knows that he will always be there to help her.

 

Bong Hee said her goodbyes and entered the car to go home directly, informing that she was gonna do her paperworks tomorrow instead.

 

Eun Hyuk could only stare as her car made its way towards the exit of the parking lot. His eyebrows furrowed and he looked back at the building. What exactly did No Ji Wook have that all the woman he was interested in was in love with him?

 

.

 

Ji Wook cringed as he took a sip of the insomnia tea again. He just couldn't let go of the habit especially since the tea would always remind him of Bong Hee. He didn't know if he was just being masochistic or if it was just pure addiction.

 

His thoughts brought him back to that afternoon. Clearly, Bong Hee didn't want to be near him or even talk to him. He sees her sometimes entering a court for another trial but nothing more than that since they didn't have another case together anymore. He would end up staring through that small hole of the court room, watching her at work proudly before getting tapped on the shoulder by some random lawyer passing by asking him why he was there for so long and he'll have to run to another court room for his own trial which he was now late for.

 

He wanted to at least stay in contact. To be able to talk to her even for just short times. To know how she lived her life during the past two years.

 

Or was that just too selfish?

 

He sighs and rubs the back of his neck. He was at serious loss on how to approach her. Not like he was planning on disturbing her, he just wanted to be someone that she didn't need to avoid.

 

A sudden ring of his phone pulled him out of his thoughts and he smiled as he saw the caller ID.

 

His mother figure.

 

"Ommeoni."

 

"My soooonnn! I miss you!! When are you going to visit your mom? I'm getting really sad." the cheery voice from the other line grumbled and he laughs in response.

 

"I'm sorry, i've just been really busy lately. I'll visit you tomorrow, it's my day off."

 

"You promise that okay? I'll be waiting for you!" her voice perks up and she wishes him goodnight before hanging the call.

 

Ji Wook smiles as he sets down his phone. His current parent figures, Mr. Byun and Bok Ja, were the ones who took care of him for so long. He had actually met them after he returned from Barcelona, strolling around everywhere in Korea since he wasn't really sure where to start using his real identity. There was a really bad car accident and no one dared to do anything until the rescuers arrived. He had taken the initiative to go near the car that was upturned and was already starting to catch fire, saving a young man from the driver's seat and carrying his bloody body away from the car before it exploded into a sea of fire. Unfortunately, he had used his body to cover the young boy and he had been hit by a large debri of the explosion, rendering him unconscious.

 

It wasn't really a big deal to him. It wasn't the first time that he had saved someone from an exploding car.

 

He woke up in a hospital and he was greeted by the old couple. Apparently, they were the parents of the young man he had saved. He had asked if the boy was okay and the woman cried, saying their son died before the ambulance arrived at the hospital but they were still thankful that he had taken a huge risk to save him. They kept visiting him out of gratitude and when they all attended the son's funeral, they had asked if he wanted to be their son since he was living alone. They were sure their real son would've liked him to be part of the family too.

 

He had accepted after a long while, sensing that the couple was sincere, and since Mr. Byun was a lawyer and owner of a law firm, he decided it wasn't a bad idea to be in the legal field and become a Prosecutor to punish those darn criminals. They supported him in everything he did as well as his studies even though he insisted that he could afford it.

 

He had received so much love from the couple although he wasn't vocal about it with Mr. Byun. It was his mother, Bok Ja, who was always vocal about her love for him; she really treated him as her own son. They both knew about his past and accepted him for who he is.

 

Ji Wook smiles at the memory and decides that he should visit them more often.

 

.

 

"What's that?" Ji Wook inquires as he chewed on the pizza he was eating.

 

They were at Papa John's, a pizza place owned by his mother. The store wasn't really popular but they never ran out of customers who keeps on coming back for their wide variety of pizza flavors. His mother was sitting beside him as he ate, writing a letter while a huge basket of flowers was placed in front of her.

 

"Oh i'm just writing a thank you letter to that masseuse that i keep on frequenting. You know from that Spa place that i love? I'm really good friends with her." she replied cheerfully and clipped the letter at one of the flower stem.

 

Ji Wook hummed and took a sip of the cola when an idea hit him like a truck, making him let out a small gasp. He turned towards his mother and hugged her out of nowhere.

 

"What's wrong?" she laughed but all he could do was grin widely and hug her tighter as he stares at the basket of flowers. At least, now he has an idea on how to approach Bong Hee.

 

.

 

The tulips sat beautifully on the vase that was placed at her table. Bong Hee rested her chin on both of her hands and smiled.

 

Someone had sent the flowers a while ago and it also came with an anonymous letter. The handwriting was beautiful and the message certainly cheered her up.

 

To Attorney Eun Bong Hee,
I am a relative of one of your previous clients and have always admired your professional work. I'm a fan.

 

She didn't know which previous client it was since she had assisted Lawyer Ji numerous times with his cases and also during her internship. She had even assisted their CEO once when he got involved in a DUI (Driving Under Influence) case. It touched her that someone had admired her efforts enough to send flowers.

 

After all, it wasn't everyday that someone from the legal field receive anonymous gifts of thanks.

 

Until she had received a bouquet of peach carnations the next week with another letter and it wasn't hard for her to recognize the same handwriting.

 

To Attorney Eun Bong Hee,
I hope you have a wonderful day and don't tire yourself up from working too much.

 

She smiled and arranged the flowers to her table again. The person was really sweet. Was the case so big that he or she would be very thankful like this?

 

Then came a bouquet of white lilies the next week, then orchids, and then a gardenia; all with different messages and encouragement. She couldn't help but laugh at their similiarities since she herself loved to drop random messages on Lawyer Ji's documents before. She found it so endearing to be on the receiving end this time.

 

Her curiousity peaked when she received a bunch of red roses though.

 

"Whoa. That's a lot of roses. Are you sure that person is just a fan? Or someone who's in love with you?" One of her co-worker in the firm commented as she took a sniff of the flower.

 

"Right? And if you think about the meanings of those flowers that were sent all this time, it's really intriguing!" another lawyer commented and gave her a teasing look.

 

Bong Hee could only raise up her hand in defense. "How will i know? I think it's a woman though, look at the pretty handwriting, i doubt a man can write that beautifully." she hands them a few of the small message cards.

 

"hmmm....that's true." They responded. "Well congratulations! At least you have a fan. How about us poor souls who don't get enough appreciation!" one of them dramatically wipes away a nonexistent tear and places a hand on her chest.

 

Bong Hee laughs and notices Eun Hyuk arriving. "Lawyer Ji! You've worked hard today." she waved and he approaches her with a smile which actually vanished quickly once he saw the roses.

 

"Is it from your fan again?" he asks with an awkward laugh.

 

"Yeah. I'm really curious though so i'm gonna visit the flower shop later and ask to see if i get an idea on who the person is." she stands up and brings a vase to the pantry to fill it with water.

 

"Don't be too jealous Lawyer Ji, it's just a fan." they nudge him teasingly and with a wink before going back to their desks.

 

Eun Hyuk scoffed. Why would he be jealous?

 

He flicks one of the roses with his fingers, scattering some of its petals before going towards his desk, pouting.

 

.

 

The soft tinkling of the wind chimes welcomes her as Bong Hee opens the glass door of the flower shop and finds a pretty woman behind the counter.

 

"Hello! How may i assist you?" she greets her with a cheery smile.

 

"Uhm i've actually been receiving flowers from your shop. I'm Eun Bong Hee." she responds with a smile and hands her business card.

 

A flash of recognition appeared in the lady's eyes as she received the card and the smile she gave was wider than before. "Oh yes, did you like the flowers miss Bong Hee?"

 

"I love them! They're all so beautiful." she responded with enthusiasm before clearing and asking what she came for. "Is it possible to know who keeps sending them?"

 

The lady smiled apologetically and bowed. "I'm very sorry, the customer had specifically requested for their identity to be kept secret. But i can assure you ma'am, that the person is decent and caring towards you. The amount of time that person spend here to choose your flowers is very considerate."

 

Bong Hee sighed in disappointment but her heart swelled with the information she was given. She really wanted to know this person who keeps sending her the lovely flowers but she didn't want to force anyone to reveal who it is nor did she think it was good idea to ambush the person when he or she gets to the flower shop.

 

She suddenly gets an idea and hands in another business card to the lady. "Please give this to that person the next time he or she comes. Oh wait..." Taking out a pen from her bag, she quickly writes another cellphone number at the back of her card and hands it again. "This one's my personal number. Please tell that person that i really hope to be in direct contact so i can express my gratitude."

 

The lady takes the card and nodded enthusiastically, waving her goodbye as she made her way to exit.

 

"Miss Eun Bong Hee!" she turned to look at the ever so smiling lady. "You are very well loved." the admiration in her eyes as she said the lingering words made Bong Hee confused.

 

She ended up leaving the flower shop with mixed feelings.

 

.

 

Bong Hee kept on tapping her cellphone screen for days. It was nearly time that the flowers would be sent to their office again and by then, he or she would've received her number already.

 

The thrum of anticipation in her heart was undeniable and she didn't really understand why. Was it the thrill of getting to know someone new and mysterious?

 

As if on cue, the delivery guy she was now acquainted with arrived with a bouquet of Forget-Me-Nots and handed it to her with his usual meaningful smile, as if he knew some secret that she wasn't allowed to know.

 

She thanked him and quickly grabs the message card.

 

To Attorney Eun Bong Hee,
I received your card and have never been as delighted as of today. You are lovely as always.

 

She tilts her head in confusion. That's it?

 

The sudden message notif of her personal cellphone startled her and she quickly grabs it, her heartbeat getting more thunderous as seconds pass by. She held her breath as soon as she read the message.

 

From: Unknown number

"Hello Attorney Eun Bong Hee,
Thank you for giving me your personal number.
-from your number one fan ^^"

 

 

---------------------------------------

 

NOTE: All the flowers that was given to Bong Hee symbolizes love and affection and a whole lot more if you guys have the time to search the meanings hehe

 

Forget-Me-Not flowers symbolize true love, and as the name suggests, they are given as a gift with the hope of never to be forgotten. This plant also symbolizes a faithful love full of memories (/ω\)

 

*someone's a tad bit romantic (・ω - )*