chapter 004 - carnival pt 3

Black Paradise: Haven Returns;apply open
chapter four
chapter four
 
 
  the carnival pt 3
 
 
 Hyungwon was typing on his computer just filling out Jihoon's military records and the rest of the paperwork. He sighed as he stretched his arms as he pressed save and then print to hear his print on the other side start printing out the document. He stood up just walking over to the machine as he picked up the stack of papers as he walked back to his desk. He placed in the right folder just sealing it up as he used his wax sealer just pressing the empire's emblem on the paper as he grabbed his jacket just throwing it on as he started to exit his office. He could see someone down the hall that he never thought that would be in a million years. Especially around these offices and alone at that. Hyungwon walked over to Aixiang who was tapping her nails on her phone as she looked a lot more ethereal than others had said up close - like something out of a dream. She was shorter than Hyungwon and was wearing something more happy and bright than the dark and grunge colors of the military office. "Aixiang-nim, are you lost?" Hyungwon finally spoke as the softer aqua eyes looked up at him rather than Daijun's dull and haunted eyes looked at him. Granted, Aixiang's were haunting as well but more alluring and drew you in rather than Daijun's who made you want to run away. 

Aixiang laughed softly. "Yes, I must have been distracted when walking with Jean. You're ah -" She stared 

"Hyungwon, I mean General Kim." He bowed as Aixiang waved a pale hand with a soft pink tone despite her being dead essentially. 

"I am not anyone to bow to, Hyungwon-ah," Aixiang spoke 

"I can take you back to Daijun-nim's office." Hyungwon motioned his arm for her to follow him. "Why are you here anyway? We don't see you every here unless it is something major." Hyungwon said 

"I came to visit someone," Aixiang answered as she walked next to him. "As you know, a member of Haven was taken into custody and I wanted to speak with her. I thought I could reason with her more than the boys could, but sadly I couldn't." Aixiang sounded sad and disappointed in herself. 

"I am sorry that happened, but I don't think it should you be upset with yourself. Haven will never understand us and will never appreciate your kindness. You tried is what counts and just think she is going to be in a better place and you'll do even more good for us. Also, they did try to murder you." Hyungwon attempted to cheer her up. 

"You're too much like Dai." Aixiang chuckled. "I mean that in a good way." She added as she walked.

"Thank you." Hyungwon nodded his head as he looked at her. Hyungwon turned left down the hallway as a couple soldiers were pushing down a cart that was had labels for Japan and store upon arrival. "Are you attending the carnival?" He asked

"Of course! I always do with Auggie." Aixiang said with a smile. "I hope my brother isn't making you work." She added 

"Yes, parts of my squad are assigned to sections of the festival. I hope you have fun." Hyungwon awkwardly looking at the woman. He peered at her shark tooth smile - terrifying but pretty as he put his arm in front of her as a group came down the hall pushing more carts for he assumed the festival. 

"Hi, Chanyeol." Aixiang waved 

"Hey, Ai! Why are you here?" Chanyeol was directing the group as he walked over. 

"I got lost but Hyungwon here is helping me to get back to Dai's office." Aixiang nodded 

"Well hurry up then, he must be worried about now. Worrying about you running away again. You get her back in one piece." Chanyeol teased Hyungwon. 

"Of course." Hyungwon nodded as Chanyeol walked off. Hyungwon looked at Aixiang as she looked back at him. 

"You must have heard about my famous get away." Aixiang kept walking.

"In passing," Hyungwon said Every new general and member of the military knew of the story. It was in the history books in school. Hyungwon looked at the large onyx doors as he stopped. "Well, here we are." Hyungwon knocked on the door as it flew open and Daijun was standing there with Jean and August.

"Oh good, someone decent and trustworthy found you." Daijun said, "Thank you, Hyungwon." He added to the male. 

"It was my honor, sir," Hyungwon replied as he watched Daijun guide Aixiang to where August and Jean were standing. "I'll be off then. Next time, please pay attention Aixiang-nim. I nor any of us would want you to wander off." Hyungwon bowed as Daijun patted his shoulder. 

"That is why I like this kid. Always knows the smart thing to say." Daijun said as Hyungwon bowed again as he stood there. "Hyungwon, stay a few minutes. I need to talk to you about a problem." Daijun said 

"Of course, I have to run this to the -" Hyungwon was cut off

"Jean and I will do this for you. It is least that I can do for wasting your time in taking me back here." Aixiang slipped the package out of Hyungwon's hand. "Show me the way, Zhen." Aixiang started out as Jean strode behind her as August stayed behind just looking at some documents.

"Ai, wait for me," Jean instructed snatching the parcel from her as he said something in German as she said something back in Chinese.

Hyungwon closed the doors behind him as he looked at Daijun to August. "So uhm what did you need to talk to me about?" He asked as he was surprised that August was not worried about Aixiang wandering off with someone else like this on her own. 

"I am sorry about my sister. She is a little bored and a handful." Daijun shook his head. "Anyway some sit down, don't worry about August." He added as he waved Hyungwon over. "I want your team to head the Haven project. Their resurface is a big problem and I feel like your team will be great in the project especially since your newbie found Sunny and captured her." Daijun leaned back in his desk chair. 

Hyungwon blinked as he looked at Daijun. "You want my team to lead this project?" He asked

"With some help of some old friend, but yes. You'll be in charge with Eunseo helping you like always. You will still have to manage your group with their individual tasks but it shouldn't be that hard." Daijun answered "Right now, we need to find out where they are located so I want you to work with Jinwoo and Kris to use their eyes in the skies to scout. You do not have to make contact unless you really need to or if they are entering our land and doing illegal actions that you get proof of." Daijun said 

Hyungwon nodded as he looked at Daijin "This is a great honor and I would be honored to take on this task." Hyungwon said as he looked at Daijun. Hyungwon had only been really making up battle plans and doing small attacks for small nations around China for lands that they did not have yet. "Can I ask a couple of questions?" He asked as he looked at Daijun. 

"Yes, of course," Daijun said as he looked at him. 

"What if we find empire citizens helping haven or humans? There have been a few rumors that teenagers have been able to disguise themselves well as hybrids and will interact with people of their likewise age at parties and things." Hyungwon said as he looked at Daijun. 

"Unless they are doing something to take over the empire and harm our nation then do not worry about the small things. If they are a confirmed member of Haven then take them in. I will get your list of confirmed Haven members soon and bring them to your office. You can share these with your team at your next big meeting with them which you can wait until after the carnival to do this." Daijun said 

"Alright, if they attack us then are we allowed to attack to kill?" Hyungwon said 

"If that if your last measure then yes, I am fine with that. I am always in favor of getting rid of humans that defy me." Daijun answered as he leaned on his elbow on the arm of his chair. "Unlike my sister, I do not see the good in any human. She has too much a fantasy that all humans can be like August. Granted, I think August is a special breed and shacking up with my sister probably swayed him over on our side. Reaper blood can be very addictive." Daijun half-joked as Hyungwon nodded 

"I agree with you. Humans can not be trusted." Hyungwon answered as he looked at Daijun Hyunwon Daijun half smirk as he nodded. "I hope you have a nice tonight with Natsumi-nim and your sister." Hyungwon stood up to leave. 

"Oh, I know I won't. I hate these stupid things. Aixiang prepares all of these festivals. The only good thing about them is the alcohol and they put Natsumi in a good mood to do anything I want when we get back home." Daijun shrugged 

Hyungwon now knew what people meant that reapers had no boundaries in their lives. They would tell you the most private information and make it sound like regular old information. Hyungwon nodded as he walked to the door just open it back up as he exited. He started back to his office as he shook his head. He had many interactions with Daijun but this was the most non-formal one that he had been in. Also, this was the first time he had seen Jean interact on a more personal level with Aixiang and his first time being around her alone. He could see why people liked them, hated them, and wanted to be them. He walked back into his office as Eunseo was hanging around as she hurried up to him. 

"Where were you?" She asked as he looked at her 

"I was in a meeting Daijun," Hyungwon said 

"Oh. Well did you turn in Jihoon's paperwork?" She asked 

"Well technically yes, Aixiang-nim turned it in for me while I spoke to Daijun," Hyungwon said as he entered his office. He draped his coat over his chair as he sat down. "Did something important happen?" He asked her 

"I was only looking forward to seeing your handsome face again." Eunseo rolled her eyes as she looked at him. "Yes, something happened! Jihoon found a Haven person and is helping sort things in those storage units. I need you to go get him from Jinwoo to get his uniform measurements." Eunseo said as she crossed her arms. 

Hyungwon sighed as he stood up. "I need to talk to Jinwoo anyway." Hyungwon started to pull on his coat. He pulled on his stuff as he buttoned up his coat. "Follow me, Eunseo. I'll introduce you properly to that stupid winged creature." He said as he locked his office door as he walked down the hall. He could see Aixiang walking out with August and Jean. 

"Gosh, she's so pretty," Eunseo said as the trio disappeared in a black smoke. "I took one of her language classes when I was studying at the academy." She added as Hyungwon only nodded. 

"She is interesting to learn about," Hyungwon answered as he looked at Eunseo. "She is a lot different from Daijun and the other reapers. I understand why she doesn't actively take part in the military part and why she is liked more positively around the townsfolk. I don't know to be honest if the influence of August being previously human was a good thing for her." He said 

"What? You are one of those people that want her to be as cold and douche like Daijun. I think that they are good for each other and are really cute. They are like couple goals. Anyway, Jinwoo and them up here in the work areas." Eunseo pushed open a door as she walked in first. She moved out the way as Hyungwon walked into the room as he kept his hands in his pockets as he sighed.

Hyungwon could see Jihoon taking things out boxes as he shook his head. He didn't think that one of his own would be put in such an academy like task - granted Jihoon did not attend the military academy but still. "Jihoon, you are to go with Eunseo here and get measured for your uniform," Hyungwon spoke as the younger boy perked his head up as he looked at him simply nodding. Hyungwon only gave one glance to Jinwoo who only half nodded as Hyungwon looked at Eunseo. "You go on ahead and take Jihoon." He told her as she nodded. Hyungwon walked over to Jinwoo was he stuck his hands in his pockets. "Hello, I need to set up a meeting with Kris and yourself. I have a new task from Daijun and will need your help. Contact Eunseo with a good time and she'll let you know when I am free." Hyungwon said 

"Yeah sure, General Kim," Jinwoo said over to him

Hyungwon only nodded as he stood there watching them. "Oh don't be so petty," Hyungwon answered 

"Well then maybe you get out of under from Daijun's ." Jinwoo countered back 

"Maybe you should get under it? You'll probably be lieutenant by now and not just babysitting." Hyungwon his heel as he left. He didn't care about being liked. The only people he cared about being liked by was his family and Daijun. Daijun would say good things about him to his father which would make him be proud - he only cared about this. And now with the main mission of being behind Haven, his father would be over the moon. Who can say their son has helped capture the major enemy of their nation? 

•••

Misun pushed a pole up as she was helping put up a tent as she could see Rowoon walking around with a shorter girl who had a clipboard just checking off things at each stall as they were put up. She shook her head as she looked at Jihoon stacking up boxes next to one stall as he stretched his arms. She attached the fabric to the pole as the tent was up. "I am going to find the last tent for this section," Misun said to Jihoon as he nodded. She walked down the street passing Rowoon and the other girl who she thought her name is Jiwoo. Rowoon told her in passing but she could have been heard it wrong. She walked down to the trucks where they were loading things off of them to be put. "Here it is." She said as she grabbed the poles as she could see Jaemin helping people set up food trucks. Misun quickly grabbed the items and booked it back to Jihoon. "Help me, put this up." She told the other as he nodded. The festival was starting in about four hours and all that was left was making everything actually look like a festival and let the vendors set up their wares and get the games set up. 

"Why? You did the last one on your own." Jihoon responded as he placed a box down. 

"Whatever." Misun shook head as she walked off. She walked to where the tent was to be set up as she saw a figure walking up. "Oh god." She mumbled 

"Need some help?" Jaemin asked as Misun glared over to him. 

"No," Misun said, coldly. She placed a pole up just securing it down as she heard him shuffle his feet. "Can't you just go? Don't you have something better to do than bother me?!" Misun snapped around as she glared at him again. 

"Yeah, sorry." Jaemin stuck his hands in his pockets. "Misun-" He started 

"I don't ever want to talk to you again!" Misun almost growled

"I am sorry. I just wish we could talk so you could see that. " Jaemin answered as he his heel just walking off. He looked back at she stabbed another pole into the ground. He walked back to his post as he crossed his arms as Younghee walked over to him. 

"Jaemin, I need to you to be stationed with Hyungwon's crew tonight. One of s has the night off which puts them one under." Younghee looked at him as he glared at her. 

"Why me?! Can't you get someone else?!" He snapped at her 

"Grow up and get over that brute. She is not worth it." Younghee snapped right back. "So no, you do what you are told or I write you up." Younghee her heeled boot as her braided pigtails flipped around. Younghee sighed as she leaned on a table as she rolled her eyes at Rowoon and Jiwoo. Younghee turned around as she almost bumped into Luhan and Sehun who were setting up the medical tent. "Oh sorry." Younghee moved out of the way. 

"It is okay!" Sehun smiled "You're Younghee. I saw you scribing in our meeting." He added as Younghee nodded. 

"Sehun, leave her alone. She's working as you should be." Luhan snapped at him. 

"Yes, I'll go find your medical tent sign." Younghee walked off as she held her clipboard to her chest as she walked off. 

•••

Seungmin pulled on the mask over his face as he felt a wash of warmth fall over him as he looked in a metallic box outside as he looked at the fox ears appear on his head from the kitsune mask he was wearing as he brushed off his hanbok. He looked at the others as Junho was sporting folded blackbird wings from his tengu-like black beak mas, Yieun was a very cute cat type hybrid with light pastel mint tinted ears and free moving tail, and finally Jisoo looked the most bad- as she had a long demon tail and curled ram horns from putting on the headpiece. "Remeber we have to keep on our costumes for the magic fades away. Fairy magic." Seungmin said as he started to walk through the woods into town. The small group slipped in easily as Seungmin looked Jisoo. 

"My friend is going to be over there. He is dressed up as a vampire." Jisoo said as she looked at them. "We stay together as a group," Jisoo instructed as they walked. 

"Wow, it all so pretty," Yieun answered at all the elaborate hanboks, hanfus, and other traditional clothing that everyone was wearing. "Oh my god, look over there it is royal family." Yieun grabbed Seungmin's arm. She could see Aixiang in a black, ivory, and plum hanbok with glittering crystals and other gems creating a flower pattern with a large ivory bow. 

Aixiang spotted them as she smiled at them as she started towards them as they all froze in their spots. Jean was walking behind her in an all black hanbok with navy detail with a grim reaper hat on. Aixiang had a flower crown of black roses in her hair and crystal onyx plum flower on one side. "I really love your hanfu. They don't make them like this anymore." Aixiang reached up and fixed the white lilies and roses in Yieun's headpiece. "I had one like this when I was little." She added. 

"Thank you," Yieun spoke as she looked at Daijun and Natsumi watching them. They were matching red and black hanboks. Natumi's decked out in rubies making roses on it and the skirt cut short to show her velvet knee-high boots and her large black wings folded against her back. Yieun could see Seungmin grip tighten was Daijun made his way over. 

"Ai, leave the kids alone. They just want to enjoy their time out not being talked to be an old person." Daijun's voice came out like velvet against their human ears. "Here, you all have this. It will get you some free drinks." Daijun held out a stack of tickets. 

"Thank you." Junho took them just looking at the older man. Junho couldn't deny the twins were nothing like Gongchan and the others talked about. They were even more terrifying but gorgeous to look at. But, he could tell Aixiang was different. More gentle - but Daijun under that fake smile was a demon. He could tell how Daijun walked straight away back to Natsumi just looking disinterested in anything as he walked behind her, ignoring bows and greetings from his own citizens. Natsumi would respond for him. 

"Dai is right, I should leave you guys to have fun. You all should go try my mooncakes though. Yura and Kangdae are selling them. Tell them your friend Aixiang told you to give you some." Aixiang beamed almost human smile except for the rows of shark-like fangs beyond her heart-shaped smile. 

"You're not bothering us! You look amazing." Seungmin blurted as another tall figure walked up in a blood red and black hanbok. 

"There you guys are! I've been looking all over for you!" Ardyn glared at Jisoo as he looked at Aixiang. "Oh, princess." He bowed

"Ardyn, these are your friends?" Aixiang asked as she had been his teacher in school and his parents were on her committee of the arts. "Also never call me princess again. I don't like that." She sighed 

"Honey lets go. The others are waiting for us." August strode up in a matching hanbok to Aixiang as he wrapped an arm around her. 

"Right, well you all enjoy the festival. It was nice meeting you." Aixiang walked off with August as she laid her head on his shoulder. 

"Oh my god. That was stressful." Seungmin gulped air. HE turned to Ardyn. "How do you know Jisoo and her?" Seungmin glared at the newcomer. 

Ardyn narrowed his eyes. "I am your way of not getting found out." He answered "The drinks and mooncakes are this way. You don't pass up something free especially from Aixiang-noona herself." He guided them to a small tent where Yura and Kangdae were serving people. Ardyn watched as Yura's light pink and cream hanbok had cherry blossoms printed on it and Kangdae's in the same color scheme. "Hi, Aixiang-noona sent over here," Ardyn said to Yura 

"I know, she told me." Yura handed them each a to go cup and plate of two mooncakes each. "You guys look awesome. Vintage stuff, did you sneak stuff by your parents from a fairy shop?" Yura teased as Ardyn laughed. 

"You know how cheap the vintage stuff is!" Ardyn nodded "Thanks again, noona." He said as he motioned for them to start leaving. 

"These are pretty good," Junho said as Yieun nodded. "Jisoo, how did you meet him?" He asked 

"That is a story for another day," Ardyn answered. "I am just here to show you guys a good time. So no more questions from here on out. Just fun and enjoy the night." Ardyn said as he looked at the group. "Plus you all don't get these type of chances too often." He added as he dumped his trash in a can. "We will save the boat ride and fireworks for last." He said 

"Boat ride?" Yieun asked 

"Yeah at the docks, Donghae gives out free rides and does a huge firework show." Ardyn said, "It is the best viewed on the ships where you can watch the mermaids and sirens actually form the fireworks underwater and watch the dragons create them in the air." He looked back them with a fangy grin. "Let the night of fun begin." He said as they were looking at the main center of games and activities. There were old-timey lanterns lighting up the area, people playing games, magic being done, face painting, fortune telling, carnival games, snacks, but there were also empire military guards. "What do you guys want to do first?" Ardyn asked 

 

 

 
 
AUTHOR'S NOTE  Hi guys, i thought this would be a good spot to end. I hope that you guys liked this chapter.