Chapter 9

One More Chance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The moment I heard those three words from Wendy my world stopped for a moment to process it. 

Seulgi? Car crash? No, no, no. It can't be...she can't be...

"Unnie! Unnie? Are you still there? Seulgi's in SNU hospital. I'm here right now."

The only words that registered in my brain was SNU hospital. I quickly gathered my car keys and dashed off from my office. My secretary and the other workers gave me a questioning look when they saw me run into the basement garage and sped off. My hands were shaking during the entire ride to the hospital. What was supposed to be a 30 minute ride was cut into a 15 minute one. Well, I was lucky no one arrested me for going over the speed limit, though that was the last thing ony my mind. The only thing in my head right now is the name Kang Seulgi, and ways to get to her faster.

When I reached the parking lot of the hospital, I turned the engine off immediately, grabbed my keys and stepped out of my car quickly that I almost tripped. My steps are long and hurried, hoping that Seulgi is still...no, don't go there Joohyun! I arrived at the receptionist's area and saw Wendy over there with Seulgi's manager. 

"Wendy! How is she?!"

Wendy answered with eyes looming in tears. "The taxi she was in crashed into a sweeper truck." She must have felt partly guilty as Seulgi's boss.

I gave out a loud sigh and tried hard to even out my breathing. Fear is creeping inside me. My memory took me to the time when I was in the ambulance holding a bloodied Seulgi, how she was struggling to breathe and was in so much pain and I can't do anything. God, I can't! I can't lose Seulgi again! Please...please don't. Don't take her away from me again!

"Kang Seulgi ssi's relatives?"

The three of us looked at the doctor. He gave us a small smile and immediately my heart calmed. Oh, thank god!

"She's fine now. We've treated her minor injury but she would need a full rest to recover properly."

"No problem doctor. We'll take care of her." Wendy turned to the manager and gave him a commanding look. "And oppa, make sure to cancel all of Seulgi's schedules. I want her to temporarily halt her promotions and focus on recovering."

"Yes, Wendy ssi." 

The doctor's news made me plop down to the nearest seat. My knees were still shaking and the urge to cry was too great to be fought. Without me realizing, tears already filled my eyes and flow down freely. Thank you! Thank you! 

"Unnie, she's okay now. I'm sorry I worried you." Wendy says, rubbing my back to calm me down. My soft sobs must have been filling the entire waiting area meanwhile the manager offered me a tissue.

"You may see Seulgi ssi now." A nurse comes to us and we all gave a bow to her. 

"You and manager oppa can go first. I'll go in after you." I waited for a couple of minutes when I saw Wendy emerge from the room with the manager. She gave me a light smile and patted my shoulder before they left. I stood up and set myself to the front of her door. Taking deep, slow breaths, I finally braved myslef to turn the door knob.

There on the bed, lied Seulgi with a weak smile on her usually bright face. She looked vulnerable and pale with her right arm in a cast that I immediately went to her side and hugged her close. She just gave me a weak chuckle and returned my embrace with her good arm. 

"Hi Hyun."

I didn't respond for a while and continued hugging her while stifling my sobs. She must have heard them for she immediately  the back of my head and gave my temple a light peck. "There, there. I'm okay bunny. Just a little banged up but still alive."

I released my hug and gave her smile while wiping my tears. "So, how are you?"

"I feel okay now, but very tired."

"Sleep some more then. I promise I'll be here when you wake up."

She leaned her elbows on the bed and tried to lift her upper body but winced at the pain. I immediately helped her get to a sleeping position and placed the blanket just below her shoulders. I caressed her cheek and kissed the crown of her head.

"Mmm" she smiles. "Thanks Hyun."

"You're welcome Seul. Now, sleep."

She closed her eyes and drifted into dreamland.

 

*****

 

"Seohyun unnie! Are you okay?"

"I'm fine Joy just a little worn out."

"Good job girls, but that must have taken a huge toll on you."

"Yeah, unnie. It's getting stronger and stronger as time passes. If this continues I don't know until when we can protect her."

Taeyeon pat Seohyun and Joy's shoulder. "You've done a good job holding it for a few weeks." Then she turned to Joy with a serious look. "Joy, I think it's time you tell Irene what's really happening. We don't have much time. Sooner or later, they'll find out w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter