Why Do I Keep on Meeting You?

We Don't Sell Our Souls

8: WHY DO I KEEP ON MEETING YOU?


 

"Do U?" by DAZE

 


 

                He squinted at her face for a while before recognition finally began to dawn on his face.

                “Wait a second…you’re…that girl?” He leaned closer, piano bench creaking as his hand pressed down on it. “No way! You’re—you’re her! The crazy girl from the bathroom!”

                Naeil scratched her temple. “…Sure, I guess I’m crazy,” she said, pulling the door open completely.

                Yoongi’s eyes widened just a little and he pulled back, letting out a puff of air. “What do you mean ‘I guess I’m crazy?’ You’re seriously insane. Your name was…‘Achim,’ or something, right?” [Achim=morning]

                “Naeil.”

                “I was close.”

                “If morning is the only part of tomorrow you care about.”

                He smirked a little. “You gonna come out from behind that door?”

                Should I? The door swung half-way closed again and Naeil’s eyes narrowed as they took in the person of Min Yoongi. He said nothing while she stared at him, just watched her eyes moving slowly over his face, torso, arms, legs, feet. It feels like seeing a ghost, thought Naeil, tangible and sitting just a few feet away on the piano bench. The legendary, disappearing Min Yoongi. Except this legend had a plain t-shirt, black jeans, and an old cap. His hair was different, but that wasn’t the only thing. It wasn’t quite that he had grown taller, more that he had become broader. Like he had become an adult already.

                “Good grief…” breathed Naeil. “Has it really only been a year?”

                Yoongi looked upward thoughtfully, lips pursing. “More like a year and a half.”

                “You look different,” she said, coming out and leaning against the arm of the piano so she could get a better look.

                “That’s what I was going for.”

                Naeil’s eyes snapped back up to meet his. “Why?”

                Yoongi sighed and rolled his eyes. “Because.

                This answer had the opposite affect Yoongi wanted. It made Naeil suspicious.

                “Why are you here?”

                “What? Why do you care? I could ask the same thing.”

                “I care. A lot. So tell me.”

                He shrugged. “I love the piano. Don’t have one at my place, and I’ve been missing it.”

                “That may be true, but this is the first time I’ve seen you here. Why would you suddenly—”

                The main door to the sanctuary swung open and shut, revealing a little girl with her bag of books, staring nervously at the two talking at the piano. “Seon…saeng…nim…?” she asked, warily. [Seonsaeng=teacher, seonsaeng-nim=polite way to address a teacher]

                Naeil stood up straight and cleared , beckoning for the child to come. “Don’t worry, come in. He’s a friend from school.”

                Yoongi looked completely bemused at this simple description of himself, but said nothing as the little girl approached. She was tiny; six years old at most and sporting an expression of completely unmasked terror at the sight of the man sitting at the piano. Her eyes were glued to Yoongi, so she had to flail her arm around for a while until it caught Naeil’s hand.

                “Seonsaeng-nim, who is he?” she whispered, clutching her teacher’s hand tightly.

                Yoongi chuckled.

                “His name is—”

                “I’m older than you, so just call me oppa. Or ahjusshi. Honestly, I don’t care.” [Oppa=way for a girl to address an older brother or older male friend, ahjusshi=way to address a considerably older male]

                “Seonsaeng-nim, why does he have green hair?”

                “He probably thinks it looks cool.”

                “That’s not—”

                “Okay, let’s ask the ahjusshi to leave now so you can have your piano lesson,” said Naeil, eyeing Yoongi.

                Yoongi blinked. “You teach piano?”

                Naeil nodded slowly, wondering why he was lingering.

                “I didn’t know you played.”

                “I’ve been learning classically for about twelve years, but I learned to play by chord at the church. You?”

                He started getting up from the piano bench, moving toward Naeil and her student. Naeil unconsciously took a step backward. He looked taller—bigger, really—standing up.

                “Well…I had about seven years of lessons, but it’s been awhile so I mostly improvise—”

                “You sound really good.”

                He coughed, and Naeil could’ve sworn he turned a little pink. “Oh. Thanks.”

                “There are a lot of kids at this church that want lessons. I bet you could easily teach in your neighborhood.”

                Yoongi scratched the back of his head. “I don’t…really like kids.”

                The little girl by Naeil’s side shivered and hid behind her teacher’s legs.

                “I didn’t, either. Not until I spent time with them.” Naeil patted the girl’s head.

                The door of the sanctuary swung open again and Jimin appeared walking backwards, dragging a big suitcase along with him.

                “Hyung! I finished getting all my stuff and said goodbye to Pastor Lee, are you—”

                He finally looked up, spotting Naeil. His eyes popped and he jumped, moving behind his suitcase for protection.

                “Hyung,” hissed Jimin. “What—what are you doing with her?”

                “What do you mean, idiot? I’m talking.”

                “Hyung...she’s crazy.”

                Naeil sneered at him while Yoongi’s back was turned.

                “Shut up and let’s leave,” said Yoongi, walking over to where Jimin was waiting. He grabbed a bag and they headed out, Jimin whispering none too quietly, “She said she’d kill me, you know! She knows jiu-jitsu or something!”

 

-------------------

 

                Jimin slipped into the backseat while Yoongi buckled himself in. He looked into the mirror at Jimin, who staring outside to avoiding eye-contact.

                “Ready to go?” asked Yoongi, watching him carefully.

                “Yeah. You can take me to my apartment.”

                Yoongi’s jaw tightened. “Jimin-ah, Hoseok is waiting at Namjoon’s to see you. Seokjin let me borrow his car so we could get out there easily. You haven’t seen us in weeks, and now you just want to me to drive you to your apartment?

                Jimin swallowed. “I have some stuff to do. I’ve been in hiding for a long time, so I have a lot of things to do.”

                “Yeah, about that—being in hiding. Are you ever gonna tell any of us what the hell happened?”

                There was silence for a while, and Yoongi tapped on the gearshift, a little on edge.

                “I…just…needed to get out of my life for a while. School’s hard. Everything’s so stressful. I couldn’t take it anymore.”

                Yoongi nodded slowly, switching gears to drive and pulling out from the church.

                “Well, Jimin-ah, I didn’t know you could spout such a load of crap that easily. Look at you surprising me.”

 


Author’s Note

I don’t know about Mr. Suga, but Jimin is always surprising me.

Sooooooooooooooo they meet again????? WHAT WILL HAPPEN NOW I DON’T KNOWWWWWWWW

Sigh. I’m going to ask a question……always nervous to but………..is this story moving too slowly? What are the best/worst parts, things that you do/don’t want to see moving forward?