Chapter Thirty-Five:

Underground Rapper
Please log in to read the full chapter

I follow Minho up the flight of stairs, into the building and to the correct small cubicle. I stick close to Minho's back as we walk towards the tiny cubicle.

"I know I have been pretty secretive about my family, but today I decided to open up to you," Minho begins. "I know you have already met my dad, but I think it's time for you to meet my mom." He gestures towards a cubicle that has the name Ae-jeong Song engraved into the glass.

I stare up at Minho. "I'm sorry for your lost."

"It's not your fault. She passed away due to a disease that was torturing her, it's better for her this way," he says.

"What was she like?" I wonder. I notice a picture in the cubicle. I study the picture and realize it's a family portrait. Minho couldn't be older than thirteen in the photo and he looks so happy with his Mom and Dad beside him — his smile hasn't changed at all.

"She was a wonderful person with a bright personality. She would leave you in tears with her funny story and jokes. My mom... made all my fears go away with a few simple words. She's probably the best person I have ever met," he tells me. Minho sets the flowers in a holder besides the cubicle.

"I wish I could've met her, she sounds wonderful."

"I think you two would've gotten along." His eyes land on me. They're all glassy and he looks like he's about to cry.

I stand in my tip toes and wrap my arms around his neck. "Are you okay?" I wonder. I feel him nod and rest his head in the crook of my neck. His hands make their way around my waist. "Are you sure?" He nods again.

I begin to run my fingers through his hair. I feel something warm and wet makes its way down my shirt. He's crying.

I try to pull him closer to me, but that's like physically impossible. "It's okay, Minho. Do you want to leave?"

He shakes his head. "I want you to know more about her."

"Will you be alright?" I inquire. He nods and stands up straight. Minho wipes his face free of tears and stares down at me. "What do you want me to know?"

"I think you should know why I asked you out today." He glances down at the floor. I grab his hand and squeeze to re-ensure him that I'm here for him. "Today is the fifth anniversary of her passing and usually I come alone. I buy her flowers, give them to her and tell her updates of my life, but I thought you could come and help me with everything."

"I can help with that. What should we tell her first?"

"You should tell her about yourself."

I nod and turn towards the urn. "Hello Mrs. Song, I'm Woo Jia and I'm friends with your wonderful son."

"I think you went overboard with your greeting," he whispers to me.

"Too late I can't take it back," I say.

He chuckles at my comment. "True. Mom, I made a good friend this year and she actually made me go to school. Granted, I just wanted to get to know her but that got me in going to school. You probably wouldn't like the fact that's the only reason I started to go back to school." He scratches the back of his head. "Sorry I didn't go to school without an incentive."

"I'm sorry, I spent time on cooking your lunches," I say aloud. Minho elbows me and I glance up at him. "What?"

"Why did you say that?"

I stare at him. "Did you hear my thoughts?"

"Yeah because you said it out loud."

"Sorry." I bow to him.

He laughs at my actions and pats my head. "You're so cute."

I stand up right and smile at him. "Th-Thanks," I stutter. "I'm sorry Mrs. Song for stuttering, I get fluster and shy easily," I say to his mom.

"I have that effect on her."

After a few more comments, we continue to update her on how life is going. Minho tells me a few more details about his Mom.

On the way out of the columbarium, I ask Minho a question. "Earlier, you say that you come here alone every year; why doesn't your d

Please log in to read the full chapter